PDA

View Full Version : (4e) Who has run Kobold Hall?

Ozreth
2010-01-08, 07:08 PM
Running my first 4e game soon. Chose to go with the adventure out of the DMG, as it seems to cover most aspects of the game and simple enough for the noobies that are playing/learning.

Anyways, it looks like each encounter will level the character. Seems a bit crazy. Is this just an example to get people used to leveling?

Not entirely sure what to do here...

Gamerlord
2010-01-08, 07:09 PM
You must be misunderstanding the XP rules :smallconfused: . XP is split amongst everyone.

Mando Knight
2010-01-08, 07:10 PM
...What? You're supposed to divide the total XP granted by the number of PCs in the encounter. There's no way the entire adventure will level the characters unless you're accelerating their XP growth.

KillianHawkeye
2010-01-08, 11:34 PM
This is a pretty good mini-adventure for starting players to get used to the system. I ran the first 4 encounters from it when we first tried 4E. The later battles can be challenging if the players don't have a firm grasp on team strategy. However, it is certainly a very interesting adventure with a great variety of traps and monsters and environmental obstacles.

Starbuck_II
2010-01-09, 12:11 AM
I ran it. There were 6 party members so I had increase the challenge(extra monster or minions/traps), but it went good.

Xzeno
2010-01-09, 12:15 AM
I don't play 4 E, but I ran it. Gnoll ranger (archer) and an evil human wizard. We ran a lot. We added two more guys (fighter and cleric). It went fine, though we almost died twice. So yeah, it works great for new players, in my experience.

nyjastul69
2010-01-09, 01:19 AM
I just recently started playing 4e and I used this scenario to begin my campaign. The XP amounts per encounter should be divided by the number of characters. Given a 5 character party they should end up getting 665 XP's each.

The party I ran consisted of 4 characters: 1 defender(fighter), 1 leader(cleric) and 2 strikers(ranger and warlock).

I found it to be a sound exercise in the use of terrain and how important terrain is in 4e in regard to character powers. That is to say forced movement is emphasized and important. My party had no problems until the final encounter.

Ultimately it ended in one of the characters death. It was almost a TPK. The problems I ran into were 4v5 characters and no controller. I modified the final encounter by dropping the Beasties HP's by 32 and dropping 1 of its action points. In addition I rolled particularly well in regards to its rechargeable power, 7 out of 9 times in an 11 round battle IIRC.

I guess I'm trying to say be careful with the final encounter and especially the wonky recharge mechanic.

FoE
2010-01-09, 01:23 AM
How big's the party, OP? If it's small and unoptimized, you might want to skip the Solo at the end.

Ozreth
2010-01-09, 01:57 AM
Thanks for all of the feedback guys.

Actually, I wasn't even paying attention to the amount of XP given for each encounter, I was looking at the encounter levels and assuming it meant what level the party would be, although Ive come to find that it means the difficulty of the encounter, not actual character level, silly me.

We should be running it with 5 people, so I think we will go all the way to the end.

Thanks again! : )

DragonBaneDM
2010-01-09, 02:43 AM
How big's the party, OP? If it's small and unoptimized, you might want to skip the Solo at the end.

Eh, I dunno about that. Szartharax is all by his lonesome, so a striker heavy party can focus fire pretty well. Also, he's a brute, so hitting isn't too big of an issue.

INDYSTAR188
2011-12-29, 11:59 AM
I'm thinking about running Kobold Hall for my 5th level group of five. I was thinking about modifying it with some of the kobold options from Dragon # 364 and with traps and terrain features from DMG 2. I hope it's challenging enough for them, but I think with a little thought and some interesting terrain features (doors that are made for small creatures that count as difficult terrain, stuff like that) that it could be fun.

TheEmerged
2011-12-29, 02:46 PM
Note the thread dates.