PDA

View Full Version : A kobolds guide to 4e

Gamerlord
2010-01-08, 08:20 PM
A KOBOLD'S GUIDE TO 4E!
http://draconusdictum.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/dx0127we_rotdwe_kobold.jpg

Yip Yip! Welcome you filthy scum! You! Stop slouching! GET IN LINE YOU! This the kobold boot camp for 4e! Here you will learn all that you need to know! Lets get started with the format, shamelessly stolen like a proper kobold from the WOTC forums.
This option is awful, avoid like the plague
Poor. but not awful
So-and-So
Pretty darn good
Awesomesauce of the highest degree

Table of contents:
1. The Basics of a Kobold (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7657493&postcount=3)
2.Martial Kobolds (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7658960&postcount=12)

Touchy
2010-01-08, 10:17 PM
You probably should of posted this then, but whatever.

Kobolds are hard to find a "pure"(Two stats) stat synergy, but despite at first glance, shifty is a great racial.

I played a kobold CON warlock, it was fun(Because I'm an idiot and did very stupid things... alot).

Gamerlord
2010-01-09, 08:11 AM
THE BASICS OF A KOBOLD
Here we will look at the various bonuses of a kobold:

+2 Dex/+2 Con: This depends on your class, these stats are OK for an warlock because of the bonus to constitution but because you are a warlock your INT bonus is usually higher than your DEX,Good for a rageblood barbarian (But remember stat bonuses aren't everything!) because they key off two secondary stats, and so on and so forth. As a kobold, you will tend to key off either a secondary stat or a useless stat with your class with at least one of these stat bonuses.
Size:Small: Again, this depends on your class, you will suffer if your class prefers two-handed weapons or dual-wielding but if your class prefers non-weapon attacks or prefers one-handed weapons you should be OK.
Speed:6: This is the average for a race, so nothing special here.
Vision:Low Light: This is situational, like all vision besides darkvision, and might come less-than-handy in those pitch-black caverns and ruins you will probably end up in at higher levels.
Languages: Common and Draconic: Special languages, like vision, are too situational to grade besides "So-and-So"
Skill bonuses: +2 stealth and +2 thievery: this depends,again, Awesome for rogues but Nigh-useless for a fighter or a paladin.
Trap sense: A +2 to all defenses against traps! YES SIR! Sadly, this bonus tends to be overwhelmed by the attacks of the traps at higher levels, so don't depend on this to protect your lowest defense
Shifty: This is where the real gem of the kobold is, this AT-WILL power, it may seem stupid at first look, but once you understand the action economy it will seem awesome! Lets see one of the potential combos of actions you can take in a round ( Taken from the PHB) :
"Option A:
Standard action
Move action
Minor action"
With this one, you first shift away from your opponent, make a move action as far away as you can get, and then use that standard action to BLAST HIM! This option is only useful for ranged characters though. And monsters with reach might be able to still hit your character.

In general, this is a power for ranged-types, but a melee character can also appreciate it! Lets see another combo from the PHB:
"Option B:
Standard action
Two minor actions"
This allows you to quickly, and without fear of a AoO, move from one opponent to another (They need to be close together though!)

In general, shifty is a awesome power that can come in handy anytime you fear AoO, but still want to be able to move around, attack, or whatever.

Next Time we get to martial classes and the kobold!

hamishspence
2010-01-09, 08:43 AM
While the:

"versatile weapons never count as two-handed- even when used by small guys who can only use them in two hands"

ruling (I think FAQ may confirm this) is very painful for all players who want to play a Small two-handed weapon fighter, a possible solution is if the weapons in Eberron Players Guide are made available outside of Eberron games.

Specifically, the Talenta Sharrash (heavy blade, polearm, two-handed weapon, can be wielded by Small creatures).

It's an exotic weapon, so you have to pay a feat, but it does reduce the painfulness of being, say, a Small fighter or barbarian specializing in two-handed weapons, and using Power Attack.

Gamerlord
2010-01-09, 10:29 AM
While the:

"versatile weapons never count as two-handed- even when used by small guys who can only use them in two hands"

ruling (I think FAQ may confirm this) is very painful for all players who want to play a Small two-handed weapon fighter, a possible solution is if the weapons in Eberron Players Guide are made available outside of Eberron games.

Specifically, the Talenta Sharrash (heavy blade, polearm, two-handed weapon, can be wielded by Small creatures).

It's an exotic weapon, so you have to pay a feat, but it does reduce the painfulness of being, say, a Small fighter or barbarian specializing in two-handed weapons, and using Power Attack.
Ah, I didn't know of the Eberron players guide weapons, I'll check it out in the CB.
EDIT: Awesome, will mention them when I get to fighters.

Gamerlord
2010-01-09, 02:16 PM
On another note: am I misreading the rules, or are small-size races unable to dual-wield, that might be important with my martial entry?

Artanis
2010-01-09, 02:19 PM
On another note: am I misreading the rules, or are small-size races unable to dual-wield, that might be important with my martial entry?

Small characters use one-handed (non-versatile) weapons the same way medium characters do, so they can dual-wield just fine.

hamishspence
2010-01-09, 02:22 PM
If the weapon is Off Hand, they can dual-wield it. If it has neither Off-hand nor Versatile (like a club) and they are a ranger, they can dual-wield it.

If its Versatile, they can't.

Gamerlord
2010-01-09, 02:25 PM
Thanks, I'm doing the martial section soon.

hamishspence
2010-01-09, 02:32 PM
Unfortunately, as written, double weapons (according to Adventurers Vault) can't be wielded by Small creatures unless they have the Small property- which none of the listed ones do.

So, those are out.

Gralamin
2010-01-09, 02:38 PM
If the weapon is Off Hand, they can dual-wield it. If it has neither Off-hand nor Versatile (like a club) and they are a ranger, they can dual-wield it.

If its Versatile, they can't.

Unless its the Talenta Tangat.

Gamerlord
2010-01-09, 03:11 PM
OF SWORD AND SCALE-MARTIAL KOBOLDS
My thoughts on the various martial classes and the kobolds, as well as an example build for each.
A absolutely critical thing for any two-handed weapon class that is being a kobold is the Talenta Sharrash of the Ebberon Player's Guide, one feat grants you a very nice two-handed weapon small-types can use.
Fighter: For great-weapon types, see above, one-handed types can get by, battleragers will do nicely, as will tempest technique-types. The DEX bonus is most useful for tempest-types but the CON is useful to all.
This build is a example of a great-weapon fighter using the aforementioned weapon:
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Kobold Fighter, level 1
Kobold, Fighter
Build: Great Weapon Fighter
Fighter Talents: Two-handed Weapon Talent
Background: Occupation - Criminal (+2 to Stealth)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 14, Dex 14, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 12.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 12, Dex 12, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 12.

AC: 17 Fort: 15 Reflex: 12 Will: 12
HP: 29 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Heal +7, Endurance +7, Athletics +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +2, Arcana, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering +2, History, Insight +2, Intimidate +1, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion, Stealth +6, Streetwise +1, Thievery +4

FEATS
Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Talenta Sharrash)

POWERS
Fighter at-will 1: Cleave
Fighter at-will 1: Reaping Strike
Fighter encounter 1: Steel Serpent Strike
Fighter daily 1: Villain's Menace

ITEMS
Talenta Sharrash, Scale Armor, Adventurer's Kit
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Ranger:Archer types...oh god where to begin,you can't wield either a shortbow or a longbow,you need a feat to wield the one crossbow you can wield at all. Don't even think about it. Two-weapon fighting-types will get a much-needed bonus to CON, and they can dual wield, and shifty allows them to rapidly move to a close by opponent. Much better choice compared to that other choice....
This build shows a two-weapon fighting kobold :
Kobold Ranger, level 1
Kobold, Ranger
Build: Two-Blade Ranger
Fighting Style: Two-Blade Fighting Style
Background: Geography - Forest (+2 to Perception)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 12, Dex 14, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 10, Dex 12, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 10.

AC: 15 Fort: 15 Reflex: 13 Will: 11
HP: 29 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Dungeoneering +6, Stealth +8, Athletics +8, Acrobatics +6, Perception +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana, Bluff, Diplomacy, Endurance, Heal +1, History, Insight +1, Intimidate, Nature +1, Religion, Streetwise, Thievery +3

FEATS
Level 1: Improved Initiative

POWERS
Ranger at-will 1: Twin Strike
Ranger at-will 1: Shield of Blades
Ranger encounter 1: Dire Wolverine Strike
Ranger daily 1: Boar Assault

ITEMS
Hide Armor, Adventurer's Kit, Javelin, Scimitar

Rogue: Can't use a crossbow, so go for melee, your skill bonuses correspond nicely, and shifty is nice. One of your bonuses is your primary stat and another is a tertiary stat, at best.
This build relies on being a brutal scoundrel, go for melee,focus on your STR,DEX,and CON,screw CHA:
Kobold rogue, level 1
Kobold, Rogue
Build: Brawny Rogue
Rogue Tactics: Brutal Scoundrel
Background: Birth - Prophecy (+2 to History)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 16, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 11.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 14, Dex 14, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 11.

AC: 15 Fort: 13 Reflex: 15 Will: 10
HP: 28 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Stealth +10, Thievery +10, Bluff +5, Streetwise +5, Acrobatics +8, Athletics +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering, Endurance +3, Heal, History +2, Insight, Intimidate, Nature, Perception, Religion

FEATS
Level 1: Backstabber

POWERS
Rogue at-will 1: Piercing Strike
Rogue at-will 1: Riposte Strike
Rogue encounter 1: King's Castle
Rogue daily 1: Press the Advantage

ITEMS
Leather Armor, Adventurer's Kit, Dagger (2)

Warlord: None of the builds in the books have your stats as important ones, you can manage however.
The below build is resourceful:
Kobold Warlord, level 1
Kobold, Warlord
Build: Resourceful Warlord
Commanding Presence: Resourceful Presence
Background: Occupation - Mariner (+2 to Perception)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 12, Dex 12, Int 14, Wis 11, Cha 14.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 10, Dex 10, Int 14, Wis 11, Cha 14.

AC: 17 Fort: 14 Reflex: 13 Will: 13
HP: 24 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
History +7, Athletics +7, Diplomacy +7, Intimidate +7

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics, Arcana +2, Bluff +2, Dungeoneering, Endurance, Heal, Insight, Nature, Perception +2, Religion +2, Stealth +2, Streetwise +2, Thievery +2

FEATS
Level 1: Improved Resources

POWERS
Warlord at-will 1: Viper's Strike
Warlord at-will 1: Wolf Pack Tactics
Warlord encounter 1: Hammer and Anvil
Warlord daily 1: Lead by Example

ITEMS
Chainmail, Adventurer's Kit, Short sword, Light Shield

Apologies for any mistakes I have made, I am in a rush.

Fridesgerte
2010-01-09, 03:52 PM
Halfling characters can use shortbows, so I would expect that Kobolds could too. See Weapon property: small, PHB page 217.

"Small: This property describes a two-handed or
a versatile weapon that a Small character can use in
the same way a Medium character can. A halfling
can use a shortbow, for example, even though halflings
can’t normally use two-handed weapons."

Gamerlord
2010-01-09, 05:30 PM
Let me double-check the PHB...
EDIT: Woops you're right.

Touchy
2010-01-09, 10:11 PM
With the major focus on everyone being good I doubt they would make one race unable to do a class(As in a gimp that would mean it's worse than plague, it's not playable).

Excession
2010-01-09, 10:47 PM
Another use for the Shifty power is to disengage from an adjacent enemy in order to charge it. Shift back one square as a minor action, move back further as a move action, then charge back in as a standard.

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-01-09, 10:54 PM
Another use for the Shifty power is to disengage from an adjacent enemy in order to charge it. Shift back one square as a minor action, move back further as a move action, then charge back in as a standard.
That sounds utterly hilarious. You shift back a square, backpedal, and then charge headlong back at the enemy, yip-yipping all the way.

Touchy
2010-01-09, 11:57 PM

Whenever I get bored of my fully-armored dwarven warlock, that would be my choice.

Now would that be a better idea for a berserker or a fighter?

Mando Knight
2010-01-10, 12:16 AM
This build relies on being a jerk, AKA a ruthless ruffian:

Ruthless Ruffian is a worse trap than Bridget (http://www.games.net/features/images/115881_16.jpg) holding a false Holy Grail for you to sip from. Take Brutal Scoundrel instead... it can actually use its class feature when wielding a decent weapon, like a rapier or short sword instead of a club.

Gamerlord
2010-01-10, 05:18 AM
Ruthless Ruffian is a worse trap than Bridget (http://www.games.net/features/images/115881_16.jpg) holding a false Holy Grail for you to sip from. Take Brutal Scoundrel instead... it can actually use its class feature when wielding a decent weapon, like a rapier or short sword instead of a club.

Woopsie :smallredface: . I'll fix that.

Gamerlord
2010-01-10, 08:00 AM
I fixed it so now the rogue build is a brutal scoundrel.