PDA

View Full Version : Can you create this? (start of darkness spoilers)

Mystic Muse
2010-01-09, 05:27 AM
okay. this has to do with Start of Darkness but I'm wondering whether it actually works in D&D so I believe it belongs here.

In SoD Lirian uses a virus to make Xykon and several divine spellcasting goblins lose all spellcasting abilities permanently. I'm wondering if you could actually make this in a real D&D game? I think it's 3.5 but it might be 3.0. great cleave is mentioned in the book

BobVosh
2010-01-09, 05:33 AM
It isn't stated out in D&D.(to my knowledge) However if I remember properly who Lirian is, then you can easily make an epic spell that does that.

Zeful
2010-01-09, 05:36 AM
okay. this has to do with Start of Darkness but I'm wondering whether it actually works in D&D so I believe it belongs here.

In SoD Lirian uses a virus to make Xykon and several divine spellcasting goblins lose all spellcasting abilities permanently. I'm wondering if you could actually make this in a real D&D game? I think it's 3.5 but it might be 3.0. great cleave is mentioned in the book

Yes, Epic Spellcasting does everything.

Nate the Snake
2010-01-09, 07:49 PM
How exactly would one make an epic spell that produces an anti-spellcasting virus?

Yes, mitigation shenanigans make the actual Spellcraft DC moot so it doesn't really matter what seeds and factors are involved, but Epic Spellcasting is slightly less ridiculous if you at least show your work before using said mitigation shenanigans.

Slayn82
2010-01-09, 07:59 PM
An epic variation of the buzzing bee spell?

Starbuck_II
2010-01-09, 08:03 PM
Antimagic virus. Single target (but she Chained it with metamagic)

Permanent Duration (Dispellable but only by other epic casters)

Since it is antimagic (they can't cast: except through certain loopholes not known by the villians at the time).

The funny thing is how they crafted a magic item since you have to cast spells to craft magic stuff...

olentu
2010-01-09, 08:11 PM
It would probably be best to base the ability on the feeblemind spell as that spell removes the ability to cast spells.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-09, 08:18 PM
The funny thing is how they crafted a magic item since you have to cast spells to craft magic stuff...

Redcloak could still cast spells

Daefos
2010-01-09, 08:24 PM

Phylacteries don't actually require any spells to be cast; time, resources, and the Craft Wonderous Item feat are all you need. And even if Redcloak didn't have that feat, we know Xykon did. Well, he does now, but most sane estimates of Xykon's level require him to have spent all his Epic feat slots on Epic feats, so it's reasonable to assume that he had Craft Wondrous Item from before level 21.