PDA

View Full Version : Letting Warlocks repick their Invocations?

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-09, 06:51 AM
Would letting Warlocks repick their Invocations each day be unbalancing?

Obviously not balancing against the Wizard here, but would this be an ok idea?

BobVosh
2010-01-09, 06:59 AM
Not really. IMO at least. Or maybe change 1 a day if you worry someone will find an uber-combo.

Darkfire
2010-01-09, 07:18 AM
I've seen it suggested before that the Warlock be allowed to learn a new invocation at each level (as opposed to 1 every 2 levels + 1 at 1st) in order to improve balance (I think they're considered Tier 4 regardless).

Your suggestion works as an alternative and would allow an unfamiliar player a chance to experiment with all of the invocations so I'd be happy to allow it.

KillianHawkeye
2010-01-09, 09:54 AM
A very intersting idea.

LibraryOgre
2010-01-09, 10:18 AM
If I were going to allow them to repick each day, I'd probably do it from a limited number, and require them to "learn" new invocations... similar to a wizard.

Eloel
2010-01-09, 10:22 AM
This gives me an idea... A sort of Wizard that goes upto 4th level spells at L20 (maybe reach 4th level at 16-ish?), with smt like 2 or 3 spells per spell level, at-will, changing every day.
How would that be balanced?

Quirinus_Obsidian
2010-01-09, 12:27 PM
I like the idea of the Warlock being able to change their invocations daily. I like the idea of them getting more invocations as opposed to the pittance they get by default. There are a lot of really good ones out there (Eldritch Glaive, Ignore the Pyre, The Dead Walk, etc.). I guess that's the balancing effect of being able to blast at will. :smallannoyed:

ocdscale
2010-01-09, 02:34 PM
I like the idea of the Warlock being able to change their invocations daily. I like the idea of them getting more invocations as opposed to the pittance they get by default. There are a lot of really good ones out there (Eldritch Glaive, Ignore the Pyre, The Dead Walk, etc.). I guess that's the balancing effect of being able to blast at will. :smallannoyed:

I agree, Warlock limitations seem mostly due to WotC focusing too much on blasting.

Being able to switch out invocations every day seems fine to me.

Noble Savant
2010-01-09, 02:46 PM
I guess that's the balancing effect of being able to blast at will. :smallannoyed:

It's not really all that hot. You could be a moderately optimized archer and do much the same thing, with less effects and more damage.

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-09, 02:47 PM
Thanks all. I'll put it to my DM and see what they say.