PDA

View Full Version : Building a Game Table: Thoughts or Advice?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-01-09, 02:08 PM
My friends and I are looking into making a decent gaming table, and have been considering our options. Here's what we've settled on at the moment:

-A 4' x 8' piece of Thrifty-White Tileboard (http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?recordId=4140&storeZip=18103&langId=-1&endecaDataBean=com.homedepot.sa.el.wc.catalog.bean s.EndecaDataBean%40352b8783&searchRedirect=346-428&storeCity=Allentown&rough=Value&navFlow=3&mode=autoSelectAndSet&productId=100541850&jspStoreDir=hdus&reload=true&storeState=PA&catalogId=10053&zip=18049&storeId=10051&keyword=346-428&distance_1=100&showStores=false&ddkey=Search), which we've heard functions as an excellent whiteboard.

-Lines cut (via box cutter) at 1" intervals into a 4' x 6' section of the board, and then inked, effectively making them permanent.

-The remaining 2' x 4' section will be walled off to a height of 8"-10", allowing the DM enough space for notes (on paper or on the whiteboard) and anything else he requires.

Thoughts? Improvements? Recommendations?

ocdscale
2010-01-09, 02:23 PM
My first thought is that a giant 48 x 72 grid in one inch intervals covering the entire table may become an eye sore.
Your results may differ of course. What color ink are you thinking about? A light blue like they use on graph paper could work well without being too intrusive.

Consider gridding the entire table, but only inking the center 2' x 5' portion (up to the DM wall).

cuchulainshound
2010-01-09, 02:41 PM
Don't carve the lines in the table - you can't change it, it'll collect everything disgusting that ever gets spilt, and ruins the surface for any future purpose. More, over time, the surface will get corrupted - accidental permanent marks, "erasable" marks that turn out to be not-so-much, other stains and scars.

Instead, get some heavy clear plastic/vinyl sheeting, and make your permanent marks on that - get a set of colored Sharpies, and another set of water-erasable markers (Hide the Sharpies after permanent marks are made!). Tape the sheeting down under the table, and you'll be able to replace it easily whenever needed. You can make the "permanent" marks different on different sheets and change them out for different games, and slide battle maps under the sheeting and then "draw" right on top of them. (Also protects them from the predictable disgusting spills and greezy paw-prints - nothing like cheesy-poofs and cola to give a map that "rather not touch it" nuance.)

This also lets you put layers of maps down if you have one "long term" map going and want to do something quick over it - add the map and a new sheet, presto - remove the upper sheet when it's time for the main map again.

If the sheeting ever gets ruined or too beat up, just replace it.

And with the sheeting you don't have to worry too much about the actual surface f the board - plywood is cheaper and just as solid, or melamin, or a number of raw sheets with one clean surface that you can find at a good home-improvement store. Length is up to you, but I'm not sure 4' wide is right - that's pretty large. If people are standing around it, then it's fine, but if sitting you'll want something closer to 42" wide. (Go to a table store with a tapemeasure and check them out for size and feel. And/or set up a 4' sheet of plywood on something and put a table next to it to see.) Anything more than 42" and people will start to lean onto the table to reach more than half-way across, leaning into stuff, bumping the table, generally potentially disturbing whatever is on the table - like cheesy poofs and cola. If you don't have a skillsaw and/or router to trim it down to size (you want it done cleanly, don't hack it up with a handsaw) then ask the hardware store if they can cut down it for you (some will for a couple bucks).

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-01-09, 02:45 PM
Instead, get some heavy clear plastic/vinyl sheeting, and make your permanent marks on that - get a set of colored Sharpies, and another set of water-erasable markers (Hide the Sharpies after permanent marks are made!). Tape the sheeting down under the table, and you'll be able to replace it easily whenever needed. You can make the "permanent" marks different on different sheets and change them out for different games, and slide battle maps under the sheeting and then "draw" right on top of them. (Also protects them from the predictable disgusting spills and greezy paw-prints - nothing like cheesy-poofs and cola to give a map that "rather not touch it" nuance.).

We were considering that, but couldn't find a large enough vinyl sheet to use as a surface. Ideally we'd have this sort of modular table, but I'm at a loss to know where I could purchase a large enough sheet of some transparent surface that could take water-erasable markers.

Crow
2010-01-09, 02:49 PM
We just use a regular table with a big laminated grid that we can roll out and place on top for game time.

cuchulainshound
2010-01-09, 02:51 PM
I guess a lot depends if you're in a major metropolitan area or not, and how "major". Try an art store to start - prices will be more, but they'll have exactly what you need, and if you play it right you can then track it down cheaper elsewhere. If not, then a hardware store - similar sheeting is used to seal windows for construction, other purposes. Take your permanent and waterproof markers with, to test a corner (red is usually the one most likely NOT to erase iirc.)

Not going to post advertising links here, but I just now typed "plastic sheeting" into a search engine and found exactly what you need just that quick. It's out there.