PDA

View Full Version : Make 1 of 2 every round saves or die [3.5].

deuxhero
2010-01-09, 06:30 PM
I was looking at the SRD UA content and found you can make anyone who uses divination on you save or die (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/spelltouchedFeats.htm#liveMyNightmare) and realized that there is a cursed item that forces everyone divine your thoughts (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm#medallionofThoughtProjection).

Likely not legal upon close examination, though flavor does make sense.

drengnikrafe
2010-01-09, 06:58 PM
I imagine it's not legal because your first link suggests that you must be the target, and the second has you targeting something with a side effect that does not benefit you. Therefore, you are not the target, they are.
At least, that's the way I see it.

I will admit, though, that's some pretty clever thinking.

Crow
2010-01-09, 07:00 PM
That spelltouched feat would actually be incredibly good for the Giacomonk.

deuxhero
2010-01-09, 07:05 PM
Giacomonk? I assume it has nothing to do with saving money?

infinitypanda
2010-01-09, 07:06 PM
And the feat is Cha-based, too, just like UMD!

Deth Muncher
2010-01-09, 08:13 PM
inb4threadlock.

Anyway, it's interesting, but seems like it's not legal, precisely because of what was said earlier: You're not the target.

ocdscale
2010-01-09, 08:19 PM
Agree with everyone regarding targeting.

Also, is it just me, or does Live My Nightmare require that the victim make both saves, as opposed to Phantasmal Killer requiring only making one or the other?

The other creature must succeed on a Will save (DC 14 + your Cha modifier) to disbelieve the nightmare and a Fortitude save (DC 14 + your Cha modifier) to avoid dying from fear.

drengnikrafe
2010-01-09, 08:25 PM
Agree with everyone regarding targeting.

Also, is it just me, or does Live My Nightmare require that the victim make both saves, as opposed to Phantasmal Killer requiring only making one or the other?

The wording is kind of ambiguous, but (if I were DM) I would rule that if you don't believe a nightmare, than it's nothing more than a bad dream and you realize it as such. Take, for instance, what happens if you fail the Will save but make the Fortitude save. You are now trapped in a horrible nightmare that didn't kill you. The other way around is like remembering a very scary horror movie in great detail. Neither would kill you, IMO.

deuxhero
2010-01-09, 08:40 PM
Hmm. Just how many high level foes have perma divinations? I know tons of monsters have true seeing always on, so you could still make some nasty uses of the feat if you kept going in and out of their cone.

Milskidasith
2010-01-09, 08:43 PM
That doesn't target you. True Seeing is a spell that targets the person casting it, giving them vision. It's the same reason the medallion doesn't work.

Radar
2010-01-10, 04:59 AM
Still, Live My Nightmere has a useful side-effect of alerting you of any divinations, you are target of, since you have to make a decision, to send the said nightmere.

FishAreWet
2010-01-10, 05:05 AM
I think this works. You're reversing a Detect Thoughts. They're effectively casting Detect Thoughts on you.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-10, 05:16 AM
It's not so much that other people are casting detect thoughts on you as you are broadcasting your thoughts unto others.

PhoenixRivers
2010-01-10, 05:26 AM
The most similar effect is Telepathy (it's effectively oblivious telepathy). That's not a divination effect.