PDA

View Full Version : Additional Magic Item Space Epic Feat

Lysander
2010-01-09, 07:16 PM
This is the silliest feat ever:

Additional Magic Item Space [Epic]

Benefit
Choose one type of magic item that has a limit on the number you can simultaneously wear and gain its benefit. You can now wear one more magic item of this type and also gain its benefit.

Normal
Without this feat, you are limited to one headband, hat, or helmet; one pair of eye lenses or goggles; one cloak, cape, or mantle; one amulet, brooch, medallion, necklace, periapt, or scarab; one suit of armor; one robe; one vest, vestment, or shirt; one pair of bracers or bracelets; one pair of gloves or gauntlets; two rings; one belt; and one pair of boots.
Special

You can gain this feat multiple times. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new type of wearable magic item.

How do you wear two pairs of boots simultaneously? Or two helmets? The mental image of the character's appearance is amazing.

Kallisti
2010-01-09, 07:17 PM
Your feet are so epic, they defy euclidean geometry and puny physics. It's an epic feet, after all. I can hear the groans from here.

taltamir
2010-01-09, 07:23 PM
this is gonna be a very stupid looking character...
You could wear a boot inside a boot, two pairs of capes, a helmet on top of a helmet...

oh god, someone should draw a picture of this... It will be hilariously stupid.

To be fair though, a lot of the items are limited not by your capacity to wear them, by the "slot" interference (ex: rings, necklace)... you can make a slotless version of the item for 2x the price; or stack capabilities into a single item; so by epic level does it really matter if you can only wear one?

Curmudgeon
2010-01-09, 10:30 PM
This feat exists to point out one shining truth:

Galoshes are Epic.

Bogardan_Mage
2010-01-09, 11:11 PM
Considering what some of the other epic feats do, is it really so much of a stretch to say you grow extra feet/heads/etc?

Asheram
2010-01-09, 11:21 PM
Along with the feat, you gain the ability to summon a schrödinger box, which contain both boots.

jiriku
2010-01-09, 11:27 PM
Clearly you accomplish it by looking like a jackass. I personally would take this feat five or six times, to create an epic wardrobe malfunction.

Draz74
2010-01-09, 11:31 PM
Clearly you accomplish it by looking like a jackass. I personally would take this feat five or six times, to create an epic wardrobe malfunction.

"Why yes, I am wearing a Boot of Striding and Springing on my right ear. Why do you ask?"

Temotei
2010-01-09, 11:33 PM
"Why yes, I am wearing a Boot of Striding and Springing on my right ear. Why do you ask?"

You need both though! Where's the oth...never mind.

Thames
2010-01-09, 11:37 PM
ok - maybe it means that you wear one boot of each set on either foot and get the benefot of both - dito for gloves, hat you wear one and the other is kept by a string around your neck giving the benefit of both, rings are obvious, capes are also obvious though silly and armour you mix and match pauldrons and cuirasses and greaves etc.

Flickerdart
2010-01-09, 11:50 PM
You know how in Naruto, most people don't wear the headbands on their head? It's kind of like that. That cape is now a magnificent scarf. That hat is a shoulderpad. That other hat can, with some minor modification, serve as a wristband. Boots can also be worn as hats, or you can just stack boot soles and stow the rest in your backpack.

Temotei
2010-01-09, 11:52 PM
Rings can be earrings, belly-button rings, nose rings, or EYE RINGS!

Vaynor
2010-01-09, 11:56 PM
I've always thought that this feat referred to item slots where you could wear more than one of them normally, but there's a cap on the amount of magic items in that slot. For example, rings, necklaces, headbands vs. goggles (which both use the same slot).

FishAreWet
2010-01-09, 11:56 PM
The feat is horrible because MiC let's you combine items.

Draz74
2010-01-10, 12:00 AM

MIC? Psshhh. DMG lets you combine items. :smalltongue:

Runestar
2010-01-10, 12:38 AM

Only for the basic stat boosters.

But I do think it is quite weak. I think eberron already has a non-epic feat allowing you to wear 2 extra rings.

Ashram
2010-01-10, 01:05 AM
Only for the basic stat boosters.

But I do think it is quite weak. I think eberron already has a non-epic feat allowing you to wear 2 extra rings.

Yup, Extra Rings, which allows you to wear one extra ring per hand. All you need is Forge Ring and CL 12. Just remember, a Hand of Glory counts as an extra hand. I'll let you figure out what comes next on your own. ;)

deuxhero
2010-01-10, 01:10 AM
Combineing it with a hand of the mage is fun and all, but I don't see what that has to do with the thread...

>_>

Are there really that many useful rings that you want 4 though?

Runestar
2010-01-10, 01:21 AM
I am just saying that there are precedents showing the ability to wear extra gear is not really strong enough to warrant it being an epic ability, especially considering that you still need to obtain that extra gear.

ELH came out quite early, when little was know about game balance. Pounce and rend are already shown to be mid-lv abilities. I think extra item slots would count as well.

SparkMandriller
2010-01-10, 01:24 AM
Wear like five suits of full plate and try to convince people you're a golem.

Vaynor
2010-01-10, 01:50 AM
Wear like five suits of full plate and try to convince people you're a golem.

The feat does not apply to armor.

SparkMandriller
2010-01-10, 03:48 AM
Benefit

Choose one type of magic item that has a limit on the number you can simultaneously wear and gain its benefit. You can now wear one more magic item of this type and also gain its benefit.

Typically you are restricted to one suit of full plate. With the feat you can wear one more. Makes sense to me!

Armour's also on the list of magic items in the feat description, too. Don't see why it'd be there if you couldn't take the feat for it.

Twilight Jack
2010-01-10, 05:02 AM
The ELH has a multitude of problems, this being merely an especially egregious example. Weirdly, I don't have nearly so much a problem with epic spellcasting as a I do with the feats which allow you to do things that you should have been able to do pre-epic (and could have if you were a wizard with access to the Spell Compendium). You know, like threatening adjacent squares while wielding a bow. . . which is an epic level feat, but a 1st level spell. :smallconfused:

Vaynor
2010-01-10, 05:08 AM
Typically you are restricted to one suit of full plate. With the feat you can wear one more. Makes sense to me!

Armour's also on the list of magic items in the feat description, too. Don't see why it'd be there if you couldn't take the feat for it.

Hmm, must have misread. Allowing you to wear an extra set of armor makes this feat pretty damn overpowered. Interesting.

Runestar
2010-01-10, 05:13 AM
What's the big deal about being to wear 2 suits of armour? AC bonuses do not stack. I suppose you could stack armour properties, but that too costs money.

Vaynor
2010-01-10, 05:14 AM
What's the big deal about being to wear 2 suits of armour? AC bonuses do not stack. I suppose you could stack armour properties, but that too costs money.

Oh that's true, I never really thought about 2 sets of armor not stacking, being as that's absolutely ridiculous. You'd think that doubling the amount of armor on your person would increase your AC. I guess if you had 2 sets of +5 armor though, they would stack, seeing as that's the magical part of it.

SparkMandriller
2010-01-10, 05:22 AM

I'm sacrificing power for flavour.

starwoof
2010-01-10, 06:55 AM
You could wear 2 sets of armor with different magical bonus things. So you could have like... +10 Plate (it is epic) and then like... +1 100% Fortified leather armor or slipperyness and fire resistance or something.

Moriato
2010-01-10, 01:28 PM
Wait does that mean...?

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/5/59/195px-Ff6_gogo.jpg

Who knew Gogo was epic level already?

Draz74
2010-01-10, 01:34 PM

Well, the feat is always a waste. But possibly less so with armor than with other items, due to the quadratic price-scaling of armor enhancements. Soulfire, Greater Fortification, Greater Blurring. Stacking all of those onto one suit of armor gets really, really expensive ...

Fishy
2010-01-10, 01:44 PM
this is gonna be a very stupid looking character...
You could wear a boot inside a boot, two pairs of capes, a helmet on top of a helmet...

oh god, someone should draw a picture of this... It will be hilariously stupid.

Yo dog, we heard you liked magic boots...

Eldariel
2010-01-10, 01:55 PM
Wait does that mean...?

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/5/59/195px-Ff6_gogo.jpg

Who knew Gogo was epic level already?

Why do you think he has all classes' all abilities? 'cause he's leveled in all of them.

deuxhero
2010-01-10, 03:16 PM
Well, the feat is always a waste. But possibly less so with armor than with other items, due to the quadratic price-scaling of armor enhancements. Soulfire, Greater Fortification, Greater Blurring. Stacking all of those onto one suit of armor gets really, really expensive ...

Isn't there some OA overarmor that allows that for 100 gold (pure cheese though)

Bayar
2010-01-10, 04:14 PM
Rings can be earrings, belly-button rings, nose rings, or EYE RINGS!

Or you do it this way:

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/images/Products/WoW%20Art/March%20of%20the%20Legion/MOL127.jpg

taltamir
2010-01-10, 04:32 PM
i guess he could just wear them somewhere else on the body and still tap into it... ex: he is wearing one pair of boots, the second pair is tied to his belt and still confers its abilities...

lsfreak
2010-01-10, 05:40 PM
Someone gets socks of springing and striding and boots of elvenkind. Normally only one will work (the first one donned, I would think), but the feat allows you to use both. Remember, just that it says 'boots of x' doesn't mean anything, one could make them as boots, as shoes, as moccasins, or as Elmo slippers. I don't think there's a single body slot where it doesn't make sense to wear multiple things, provided you're willing to refluff exactly what they look like. Plus you've got pants that aren't included in a body slot that could easily double as feet, armor, shirt, or belt slots.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-01-10, 08:51 PM
Isn't there some OA overarmor that allows that for 100 gold (pure cheese though)

Yes. If you have a Chain Shirt, Dastana, and Mirror Armor, you can get a total of +9 in special abilities for only 48000 gp.

Draz74
2010-01-10, 08:55 PM

I've never actually seen a copy of OA, and haven't heard of this trick before. So I don't know. :smallsmile:

Jack of Trades
2011-10-13, 10:41 PM
Actually, I don't think that the feat is ridiculous at all. Probably better to make it slotless or combined, but economics might drive you to using a feat if you just needed one extra slot. Epic is expensive!

Most posts have been concentrating on those areas that would look the most ridiculous or impractical.

But really, which slots would you mostly like use if you had more to add;
rings, amulets, belts, or maybe something for the head.

In real life, multiple items in the same slot are not that uncommon or funny looking. Here are some examples.

Belts - A builder has one belt to hold his pants up, maybe even suspenders, and one belt for tools. An old western cowboy always wore two. One for the pants. The other was a gun belt.

Rings - Don't even need to go there. I've seen people with 20 rings on their hands. (I think that should qualify as brass knuckles.:smallsmile: )

Amulets - Seen any entertainment people lately.

Eyes - Contact lenses and sunglasses. Or regular glasses and sunglass clip-ons. Best used when viewing entertainment people.

Hands - I've seen regular gloves built as two separate sets of gloves. One thin one inside the other.

Feet - Snow boots or shoe pull overs. Safety shoes. Mountain climbing shoes.

Torso - Ever see a three piece suit.

Head - A cap over a headband.

Capes - A little harder since most people don't wear capes. But how about a woman wearing a fancy dress cape with a rain repelling cape when outside in the rain.

Food for thought:

Everyone might want to consider the feat for what it might actually be useful for rather than how ridiculous someone might look. A ridiculous looking enemy can be more dangerous than a cool looking one. You could die laughing. Literally.

tyckspoon
2011-10-14, 01:43 AM
Actually, I don't think that the feat is ridiculous at all. Probably better to make it slotless or combined, but economics might drive you to using a feat if you just needed one extra slot. Epic is expensive!

If you don't have anything obviously and drastically better to do with your Epic feat options, well, you're probably a Fighter.. but honestly, the Epic items aren't all that good. What you probably *want* to use Additional Item Space for is wearing multiple good non-Epic items, like rings of Freedom of Movement + Spell Storing + Protection + Blinking, and when you have Epic wealth to play with it takes much less valuable resources to just condense all of those down into two rings than it does to spend an Epic Feat on wearing another ring.

Jack of Trades
2011-10-22, 05:16 PM
I just thought of an easy way to get an additional item space (specifically a ring) for extremely cheap.

Use a slotless Hand of Glory for 16,000 GP. 8,000 to make.

A Hand of Glory takes the slot of an amulet normally, but you can put any one ring on it. By doubling the price of the hand you make it slotless. But you don't have to double the price of the ring that you put on it.

I don't see where this breaks any rules. Of course, the DM will not appreciate it.

Cruiser1
2011-10-22, 05:47 PM
Here's another way to get additional item space, specifically two face slot items: Wear the "Veil of Whispers" and "Turquoise Veil" from the "Seven Veils" magic item set in MIC. They're both face slot, and they explicitly say they can be worn together and both take effect (but not with any other face slot items of course). Once you have them both, you can use them both as platforms for additional crafting enhancements.

For a practical example, suppose you want continuous True Seeing and continuous Mind Blank? The Hathran Mask of True Seeing (UE) is a 75K face slot item, and the Third Eye Conceal (MIC) is a 120K face slot item. Crafting them both together exceeds 200K, making it an epic item and increasing the cost by 10x. Making them slotless is also expensive, increasing the cost by 2x. Instead, craft to add the True Seeing mask to one veil, and the Third Eye to the other veil, and wear both. :smallsmile: