PDA

View Full Version : Paranoia Modules

Mad Wizard
2010-01-09, 07:34 PM
So I recently bought the new Paranoia Troubleshooters: Black Missions book, and I'd like to run a published module for my first game rather than create my own, just so that I and my players can get a feel for the game. Anyone have any recommendations as to which ones are good? The book came with PDFs containing many of the previous books released for the system - someone on RPGnet said that it has "just about the entire support line 2004-2008, with the exceptions of the hardcover reprint mission collections Flashbacks 1 and 2, the equipment books STUFF 1 and 2, and The Little RED Book," so I could conceivably run any module that's not from those.

cuchulainshound
2010-01-09, 07:59 PM
In my experience with Paranoia, you don't need modules - you just need to have an interesting set of R&D items for infrareds to test out - first some in the "safety"(?!) of the R&D lab, and then others in the field. Don't be predictable or inflexible - play off their fears and second-guesses as to what exactly happens. Gives new players a good sense of the absurd-futile nature of the game. I've seen more sessions begin and end in R&D than I have seen make it to the "story" itself. ;)

Beyond that, all you need is a short, paradoxical situation - like telling them to repair something that's not broken, or go to an area that doesn't exist, or find another infrared group assigned to "their" mission, or the opposite one. This is usually enough for a near TPK as the clones feed each into the meetgrinder that is Paranoia.

So, find something that promises to create party dissention early, and go with that and don't expect it to make it to the end. Paranoia is about enjoying the moment, and only the rare group "succeeds" in the overall mission, and then usually only at about clone #4 or so. ;)

...and a good time was had by all...

Darrin
2010-01-09, 11:28 PM
Anyone have any recommendations as to which ones are good?

If Crash Priority is on the CD, then I'd start with Stealth Train. Didn't get a chance to play it, but it looked like loads of fun. Of all the XP-era scenarios I've seen, that one seemed to evoke the best of the classic 1st/2nd edition style of scenarios.

noiadodh
2010-01-09, 11:35 PM
a coal fueled stealth train IIRC, that was epic :smalltongue: