PDA

View Full Version : Aethereal Nights (D&D Setting)

Soterion
2010-01-09, 11:00 PM
Here's a setting I've been working on for a little while. I'd appreciate your thoughts on whether you'd be interested in playing this setting. I hope you like it; let me know if you don't. If I get some good feedback, I may post some starter characters I've created for this setting.

From the diary of Godebard Gunsmiter, Dwarven Cleric:
“Common Year 1132: Once again I find myself in the city-state of Nuova Aerilisia, where the aether runs through the streets like water, the guilds war for dominance against a weakened prince and against each other, and the common folk are merely staying alive. Staying alive.
Hark to my tale of thaumological marvels, of dancing the night away in the city’s salons, of dragondust dealers on every corner, of how we finally stuck it to the Man…”

The city of Nuova Aerilisia is a booming city-state on the Western Oerik* coast. Five decades after the end of the great Mage Wars, during the 1080s, the city has fully recovered from its wounds, and is now a haven for thaumological progress. This is aided by its access to the deep Dwarven aether mines of the Humpsaddle Mountains to the east. Millions of tonnes of aether are pumped from the mines through Nuova Aerilisia every year, although recent minor wars between Nouva Aerilisia and various Dwarven nations, as well as N.A.’s support of the break-away Elvish island of Guongdinao has resulted in the Dwarven Most Secret Brotherhood of the Sons of Moradin* (MSBSM) imposing a blockade on the city, and aether prices have skyrocketed. Huge aether pipelines crisscross the city, running from the mountainous foothills surrounding N.A. to the Empyrean Gasworks at the mouth of Luminiferox Bay where huge canvas dirigibles are pumped full of the magic-bearing aether, to sail across the ocean for trade among the nations surrounding the Oceanum Titanicum*.

Politically, the city is a principality ruled by the High Prince and his ministers. However, the misrule of Prince Septimus Aquilences the Paranoid has resulted in a general mistrust of government on the part of the big guilds, the noble merchant houses, and the ordinary folk. This has not been helped by the appointment of Prince Leobardus Pios the Rabbit to the post of High Prince, for Pios is a weak, cowardly, and self-righteous man who hides behind a smokescreen of folksy wisdom and devotion to Heward*, god of thaumology. He is widely disliked.

Most power is in the hands of the guilds, such as the Left-Handed Sparrow Guild, the Most Serene Guild of Strategists and Courtesans, and the Guild of Water, Wheat, and Wintergreen. These guilds have largely left behind the days of open warfare in the streets, instead preferring a lifestyle of intrigue and Byzantine political sniping.

Many young people, tired of the city’s endless wars with the other nations of the Western Oerik* coast, have become followers of the cult of Ehlonna*, which emphasizes oneness with nature, free love, and pacifism. These young people wear their hair long, rarely bathe, and enjoy smoking pipeweed, all of which causes much consternation among their elders. Protests on the part of the Ehlonnans* often results in municipal gridlock, as governmental ministers barricade themselves in their palaces to avoid crowds of riotous youth.

The retreat of the guilds from the streets has left ample space for the streetgangs to flourish, especially with the increased trade in dragondust brought overseas by kobold immigrants. Dragondust, which causes hallucinations, feelings of euphoria, and reckless overconfidence, is becoming a serious problem, as addicts are becoming increasingly numerous and dangerous to ordinary citizens.

Mages have produced many marvels of thaumological advancement, and ordinary Aerilisians can now spend an evening at one of the city’s many magic lantern shows, or listen to one of the new portable “vox magi” devices, which allow people to listen to bards or town-criers wherever they go. Many popular bards have made residence in the city, and the new style of “menestrello” brings crowds of eager adolescents to the city’s salons to “line-dance” the night away.

Menestrello isn’t universally popular, of course. Roving bands of leather-clad young toughs, calling themselves by the ironic name “catamites”, prefer the screeching, arrhythmic sound of the bards trained at the Academy of Olidammara* and often brawl with menestrellons in the streets.

Popular fashion for men includes long trousers, waistcoats, and frock coats. The new feelings of casualness mean that cravats are no longer considered mandatory among young people. Denim trousers and tight shirts are also acceptable. Most men still wear boots, although cobbled shoes are becoming increasingly popular, as are rubber-soled “rogues”, although many men see them as women’s wear.

Popular fashion for women includes sundresses, loose gowns, and robes. Young women are scandalizing their elders by wearing pantaloons, especially tight trousers and “short pants” that religious and public officials declare are contributing to the decline of city morality. Tight shirts printed with slogans are also becoming fashionable. Many young women wear knee-high stockings and rubber-soled “rogues”. Wheeled boots are also popular for young women on the go.

Enchanted “horseless carriages” clog the city’s cobbled streets, as do velocipedes and rickshaws. Young women on wheeled boots zip in and out of traffic, occasionally causing accidents. The new-fangled “firearms” aren’t allowed in the city, although some are still smuggled in. Most bravos rely instead on the old standbys of sword, axe, or bow, and a knife is always handy.

Mages visiting the city can find shelter at one of the various temples or monasteries, or can visit the University of Aulde Aerilisia to confer with wizards and sorcerers there. The Library is said to be one of the world’s largest, especially on matters to do with aether-flow and aethercraft.

Foreign relations, particularly with the Flan* in the east, have always been fraught in Nuova Aerilisia, but Southern influences on N.A.’s youth culture are increasing, and the “Southern sound” among menestrello bards as well as “chop-socky” magic lantern shows has become very popular. Just mind the ninjas.

Adventuresome individuals can find action in the Old Necropolis, which houses Nuova Aerilisia. Like many other parts of the city, the Necropolis has become overrun by gangs; however, these hoodlums count liches and vampires among their number, and the unwary often save the undertakers the cost of transporting their corpses to their final rest by walking there themselves.

The various guilds always have opportunities for sharp young men and women to advance themselves, either through combat or guile. Geryon, exiled Duke of Abaddon, loves interplanar intrigue, and for those adventurers more experienced and better armed, a visit to his elegant palazzo along the Via Angelica offers the chance at missions of high risk and high reward.

For our heroes, then, Nuova Aerilisia offers a kaleidoscope of adventure, from Elvish counterculture to Southern kung-fu monks, from warring menestrellons and catamites to dragondust druglords. Visit scenic Nuova Aerilisia, where adventure awaits!

All starred (*) words or concepts are from the World of Greyhawk (r) and have been developed by TSR, Inc., Wizards of the Coast, Gary Gygax, or affiliated persons. This post gives full credit for their development to the above, and acknowledges no ownership of same. The purpose of this posting is for non-commercial education; the writer has received and shall receive no monetary or non-monetary compensation for the use of concepts, characters, or words trademarked, registered or copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast and its subsidiaries. The writer retains the rights to all concepts and characters developed solely by him. Note that this disclaimer does not constitute a legally binding document on the part of Wizards of the Coast or the writer, but exists solely to acknowledge the rights and privileges of Wizards of the Coast.

Drolyt
2010-01-11, 04:59 PM
This sounds pretty cool, but I don't know much about Oerth. Why exactly did you choose that setting, wouldn't it make more sense in a new setting all its own? What exactly is this Aether? Also, as a quick side note, why do you have staying alive twice? Every time I read some song goes through my head, I don't know where it is from but it is annoying. This is kinda steampunk like Ebberon, but gives a more modern feel. It would make a great political intrigue game, but the hooks aren't really there for a bash in the door type of game. I think it would be fun.

Soterion
2010-01-13, 10:25 PM
So I said I'd post some sample characters for this setting, so here's the first: Maura Proudfoot, level 6 ranger. This would be a good character for someone who likes a good mix of doorstomping and role-playing. Obviously, the person playing her would get to choose what feats and skills and so on they had. I like to include a little bit about the character's background, as well as some personal characteristics to help the player play them. Let me know what you think!

Name: Maura Proudfoot
Race: Hob—excuse me, Halfling
Class: 6th level Ranger
Alignment: Neutral Good
Weapon of Choice: Pistols, for preference, else a Bowie knife.

Brief History: Raised in the East, Maura came from a distinguished family of Halflings who served as scouts against the Flan during the Mage Wars. Border wars over water sources for their vast herds of prairie tortoises made the Proudfoot tribe tough and fierce in battle. Bushwhackers, shamans, and gunslingers, the Proudfoots gained great wealth due to their traditional homelands containing deep mines of silver, which the Lord High Engineer of the Dwarven republic of Lithdeep purchased from them in exchange for hundreds of head of prairie tortoise. However, recently the river Stoorpike, from which the Proudfoots get the water they need for their herds, has dried up, and unable to water them, the Proudfoots have been forced to sell their herds back to the Lithdeepnels for mere pennies. Maura has taken it upon herself to investigate, and if possible, punish the wrongdoers. For this reason she has traveled west to the lawless city of Nuova Aerilisia.

Personal Style: She wears the traditional black felt turtleman’s hat, with a band of silver and tortoiseshell conchos, as well as leather leggings and a fringed leather coat. Her long black hair is tied tight in braids, her skin, browned from the sun, covered in whorls of facepaint. Tough and resilient, she doesn’t know many people in N.A. and few people know her—yet. She has little tolerance for the “nancy-boys” of the Ehlonnan cult, or the fops and dandies of the menestrello music scene. The widespread use of drugs disgusts her, and she longs for the simplicity and good morals of her country home. One way or another, she’s going to find out who wronged her people—and then she’s going to clean up this town.

Theme Song: “Stuck in the Middle with You.”

I'm open to constructive criticism; if you don't like this character, or really like her, feel free to PM me or post here to this thread. Thanks!

Soterion
2010-01-15, 12:51 AM
Another character for my Aethereal Nights setting. This one's intended to be an NPC; sort of an authority figure for adventurers to tangle with. I mean, adventurers go around cracking skulls and ransacking houses, so it's only a matter of time before they get hauled before the law, right? And so we should have a good character to be that law...guy. This one's a little more Miko than Lord Shojo, so make of that what you will. Also, this character's a member of a class I need to post, the Cavalier, which is based partly off the Swashbuckler for 3.5.

Name: Fenix Carcevales
Race: Human
Class: 11th Level Warlock/ 3rd Level Cavalier
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Weapon of Choice: Magic, pistols

Brief History: Fenix was born into one of Nuova Aerilisia’s most noble merchant families; however, he startled many of the city’s gossips and political rumor-mills when he chose to attend the Hidden Classroom, the preeminent educational body for alchemists, warlocks, and mathematicians. There he excelled, and emerged as a skilled and talented warlock. Still very young, he enlisted in the Numberers, a profession many nobles considered beneath them, and soon achieved officer rank. In 1127, he distinguished himself as Mage-Lieutenant of the 9th Princips Rifled Musketeers during the notorious and violent Anti-Pudding Riots of May and June 1127. Although by this point he had gained a reputation as a self-absorbed, narcissistic dandy, he nonetheless used adroit diplomacy to enlist the guild militias in helping to restore civic order. Now, as commander of the 118th Palazzo Lancer-Dragoons, he is respected, and somewhat feared, as a strict, if somewhat cruel, enforcer of city edict.

Class Notes: Fenix is a dual-classed Warlock/Cavalier. As a result, he takes no spell-casting penalty for light armor. However, he has the same penalty for medium and light armor as any other spell-caster. He has the feats Improved Weapon Proficiency: Mortuary Sword and IWP: Pistol, as well as the Two-Handed feat.

Personal Style: Dandyish and vain, Fenix is noted for his long hair, fashionable dress, and fixation on his own handsomeness. He avoids the excesses of some of his generation, instead keeping to the old style while invigorating it with a healthy touch of the new. Trousers, embroidered waistcoats, and a brace of pistols mark him as a man with a good sense of style; he still wears carefully knotted cravats while most men his age have discarded them. He enjoys some of the less bizarre menestrello musicians. Quite frequently callous—“as callous as a cat,” as one acquaintance dubbed him—he regards the state as being correct in every eventuality, and will not tolerate lawlessness or disorder. Our adventurers, being the type to kick in doors and cause mayhem, will no doubt come into conflict with him and his Lancer-Dragoons.

Theme Song: “You’re So Vain”

As always, feedback is greatly appreciated! I think next I'll post details for the Cavalier and Alchemist classes

Drolyt
2010-01-15, 09:45 AM
These are interesting character's, but what is their purpose? To show off what characters in this setting are like? I think you should flesh out the setting first rather than make too many example characters, although I am interested to see these Cavalier and Alchemist Classes.