PDA

View Full Version : [4E] DPR/Striker Paladin Build Advice

mage1337
2010-01-10, 12:19 AM
Hey Playgrounders,

I'm going to be blunt: I have been struggling to design a Striker Paladin for an upcoming campaign, and I can't come up with a build I like. At all.

The basic Ardent Vow Paladin has been the starting point for my builds, but I've always run into a few problems:
1) Inability to find solid burst damage encounter powers.
2) Unfamiliarity with multi-class feats and how to abuse them.
3) Uncertainty about what race to select. Love Dragonborn flavor-wise, but suspect is is sub-optimal compared to either Githzerai or Longtooth Shifter.

Can someone suggest an Ardent Vow build that works well for spike damage? Or does someone know of a solid Ardent Vow Striker build they can link me to that my google-fu missed?

And most importantly: Is there some really sexy multi-class feat and encounter power swap that would break a build like this I am not aware of?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Notes: All supplements allowed, character will primarily play at the heroic level so viability above that level is a plus but not essential.

Reluctance
2010-01-10, 12:29 AM
Any reason you're looking to make a striker out of a defender as opposed to taking an already existing striker and making him a holy warrior?

Tengu_temp
2010-01-10, 12:43 AM
Because it's easier to make a defender deal a lot of damage than to make a striker be tough to kill?

Mando Knight
2010-01-10, 12:45 AM
Ardent Vow works best with Longtooth Shifters (or Githzerai, thanks to their HAX-feat). Dragonborn prefer a balanced build with Lay on Hands instead.

If it's burst damage you want, but don't feel like grabbing more than the basic MC feat, go Ranger. If you want to have a steady output of power and reinforce your role as the guy with the really big weapon, shuffle over to the Fighter section. Unless you fall in love with a power from your multiclass, the power swap feats are a waste... and Paragon Multiclass about as much so.

Paladins themselves aren't as consistently strikery as a Fighter, unless you MC Fighter and grab Pit Fighter in Paragon. Bless Weapon is a must for striker-style, and Wrath of the Gods is super-fantastic for a Charisma heavy build (i.e. not most Ardent Vow Paladins).

Weapon-wise, wield either a Mordenkrad or a Fullblade.

Paladin Encounter (and Daily, with some major exceptions) powers are generally low-[W], but have fantastic rider effects, such as immobilization, temp HP, or NAD-crushing. Paladins can't be pure Strikers. Instead, go for tanking power: lock enemies down while crushing them with your oversized weapon and ignoring even the attacks that make it through your plate armor. Grab some damage resistance powers and healing powers to improve your tanking ability, then sit up there in the front.

Also note that worshiping Kord allows you to grab the Power of Strength feat, which grants a decent (not-feat) damage bonus to Holy Strike, the most striker-y of your available at-wills.

tarlison
2012-08-29, 07:50 AM
Try a hybrid paladin/ranger with a hybrid talent plate armor if ur human u can get a double weapon like the zulaat double sword or double axe :smallsmile:

Ashdate
2012-08-29, 08:57 AM
Why not make a Blackguard? They're essentially a "Striker" Paladin.

Hal
2012-08-29, 09:21 AM
Try a hybrid paladin/ranger with a hybrid talent plate armor if ur human u can get a double weapon like the zulaat double sword or double axe :smallsmile:

What about a hybrid paladin/avenger? Probably better synergy in terms of stats, feats, and keywords.

Raimun
2012-08-29, 10:50 AM
What about a hybrid paladin/avenger? Probably better synergy in terms of stats, feats, and keywords.

Only problem is that Hybrid Avenger can use his Oath for Avenger Powers only and Oath is the Capital reason why Avengers are so good.

Tegu8788
2012-08-29, 11:18 AM
Necro thread, but why not.

Blackguard is an easy Striker Paladin.

Paladin|Warlock is another classic, with so many variants.

Blackguard|Ranger can be done as a one trick pony. Quarry target A, Throw and Stab target A with a thrown weapon then charge target B using a Chaladin MBA, then smack on Blackguard features and then free action Dread Smite.

tarlison
2012-08-29, 11:34 AM
Why not make a Blackguard? They're essentially a "Striker" Paladin.

That work well too :-> but the idea of a armored paladin carrying a double axe kinda hit me :-) using ranger twin strike ,two fang strike and jaw of the wolf not to mention hunters quarry, use hybrid talent paladin armor for defense if ur using human don't forget to get zulaat a defensive and stout double weapon that has a prof bonus of +2 and dmg of 2d4 its a heavy blade or u can use the double sword for better accuracy which has a prof bonus of +3 and a damage of 1d6 defensive and both head is treated as off hand weapon which is a light blade :-)

tarlison
2012-08-29, 11:37 AM
And I forget a double axe is an double weapon axe which is a stout it has a prof bonus of +2 and a damage of 1d10 a good idea which def sacrifice for dmg :-)

Tegu8788
2012-08-29, 11:41 AM
Nothing stops you from using 2 weapons as a Paladin. Do just don't get the extra yummy goodness. Half-Elf to get yourself Twin Strike and straight Paladin it up works pretty well.

It would be a lot easier to have a Fighter|Ranger get to plate armor, is there a specific reason it has to be Paladin? Cleric|Ranger would be even easier, and let you spent hybrid talent getting Ranger weaponry.

tarlison
2012-08-29, 12:17 PM
Nothing stops you from using 2 weapons as a Paladin. Do just don't get the extra yummy goodness. Half-Elf to get yourself Twin Strike and straight Paladin it up works pretty well.

It would be a lot easier to have a Fighter|Ranger get to plate armor, is there a specific reason it has to be Paladin? Cleric|Ranger would be even easier, and let you spent hybrid talent getting Ranger weaponry.

Yup ur right those can be effective but still the fighter and the cleric are not paladin , looking at fighter Ranger u remind me of my friend's fighter(tempest)/ ranger/kensai
Our party
Shava female half elf Sorcerer Paladin hybrid(primary defender)
Fei Lynn Male human ranger/tempest(fighter)/kensai (secondary defender and secondary striker)
An old dude Male human wizard/artificer (controller and leader)
Parren male elf rogue/ranger/cloak sniper(main striker)

Raimun
2012-08-29, 03:43 PM
Necro thread, but why not.

Hah, indeed. He might have already built the perfect Striker Paladin, saved the kingdom and bought the t-shirt.