PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Non-Wildshape Druid

EnnPeeCee
2010-01-10, 04:33 AM
Ok, so I'm working on building my character for an upcoming campaign. I really want to try out the hunter variant druid (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#druid), probably being a dwarf. Thematically, instead of the standard mystic tree-humping druid, I'm aiming for more of a tough rock-humping druid. I plan on focusing on casting, while using some zen archery on the side.

So here comes the questions. The Earth Dreamer PrC really fits with the character idea, but I was thinking that the hit to my animal companion's progression along with the stuff from the variant might be too much compared to what is gained from it. Thoughts?

For some reason I'm not finding many feats that I want to take. So far I've got zen archery, weapon prof (something better than sling), natural bond, earth sense (if I take earth dreamer), plus meta's. Archery feats seem like they would be wasted as I won't be optimizing it much. Thoughts?

Since I want to engage in some ranged combat, I want a better weapon than a sling. I was planning on grabbing proficiency in Greatbow, since exotic vs martial makes no difference for feat cost. Anything else I should be looking at?

The animal companion is really what is giving me the most trouble. I'm looking for something that will be good, plus is somewhat 'dwarfy'. I have no idea if dinosaurs will be allowed. I was looking at the alternate class feature that trades your animal companion for an elemental companion, but since it doesn't advance as the normal companion it looks fairly terrible. But it would be very cool to have an earth elemental for a companion. Thoughts?

I have read the druid guides and handbooks online. I may have missed some info though.
Books we're using: core, ph2, completes, races of's
Things we're not using: ToB, Psionics, Incarnate

Leon
2010-01-10, 07:14 AM
Dungeonscape has a ACF that may suit a "rock humping" druid called Root Walker

For a dwarfy companion, I'd go for a creature that burrows or is rather stout (Badger, Wolverine, Boar etc)
See if the Mineral Warrior or Earth Elemental Creature templates can be added for the the extra rocky feel.

Darcand
2010-01-10, 07:16 AM
An earth elemental would be super cool, and I see nothing about a small elemental that would make it in any way more powerful then a typical 1st level animal companion. I would ask your DM if he'll allow you to have one and then advance it the way a regular animal companion would advance.

If he says no, then maybe a badger would be the way to go, but it's a sad second.

Paul H
2010-01-10, 07:33 AM
Hi

Do actually need an animal companion? Pathfinder allows Druids to take a Spell Domain (one from Elemental types, or Animal or Plant), instead of the companion. Have a look, and ask your GM if you like the idea...

Cheers
Paul H

Runestar
2010-01-10, 09:06 AM
Complete mage lets you have an earth elemental instead.

Be careful though, their burrow ability can be abused at low lvs. Simply have it tunnel through the entire dungeon and explore it before you actually go in. Instant recon of the entire area...:smallbiggrin:

EnnPeeCee
2010-01-10, 04:11 PM
Dungeonscape has a ACF that may suit a "rock humping" druid called Root Walker

For a dwarfy companion, I'd go for a creature that burrows or is rather stout (Badger, Wolverine, Boar etc)
See if the Mineral Warrior or Earth Elemental Creature templates can be added for the the extra rocky feel.
Root Walker does indeed fit in with what I'm going for, excellent.
I'll have to check with the DM to see if he'd allow templates on the animal.

An earth elemental would be super cool, and I see nothing about a small elemental that would make it in any way more powerful then a typical 1st level animal companion. I would ask your DM if he'll allow you to have one and then advance it the way a regular animal companion would advance.

If he says no, then maybe a badger would be the way to go, but it's a sad second.
The only reason I was thinking it looked subpar, is the fact that it doesn't seem to advance as often as a normal companion, and would fall behind. But perhaps not. I will check though, to see if I can advance it normally.

Hi

Do actually need an animal companion? Pathfinder allows Druids to take a Spell Domain (one from Elemental types, or Animal or Plant), instead of the companion. Have a look, and ask your GM if you like the idea...

Cheers
Paul H
That does seem like a good thing to take, but I'll have to check with the DM.

Complete mage lets you have an earth elemental instead.

Be careful though, their burrow ability can be abused at low lvs. Simply have it tunnel through the entire dungeon and explore it before you actually go in. Instant recon of the entire area...:smallbiggrin:
True, but I wouldn't do that with my group. I tend to already ruin DM's plans accidentally enough. :smallsmile:

Crow
2010-01-10, 04:57 PM
Slings are actually quite awesome if you have a beefy strength bonus.

EnnPeeCee
2010-01-12, 01:50 AM
So any thoughts on whether earth dreamer is a good or bad choice?

Optimystik
2010-01-12, 03:11 AM
It's a very good choice. 5/5 casting, great recon abilities, two good saves. The hit die is pretty low though, so be careful with that.

EnnPeeCee
2010-01-12, 03:28 AM
It's a very good choice. 5/5 casting, great recon abilities, two good saves. The hit die is pretty low though, so be careful with that.

I've got a nice con score with being a dwarf. The only thing I really worry about is losing out on the progressions of the animal companion plus the hunter variant stuff (AC bonus, speed).

Leon
2010-01-12, 04:40 AM
If it has some cool stuff that you want go for it and just accept the loss of the other abilities for 5 levels

the feat Natural Bond can cover for 3 of those 5 levels

EnnPeeCee
2010-01-12, 03:17 PM
If it has some cool stuff that you want go for it and just accept the loss of the other abilities for 5 levels

the feat Natural Bond can cover for 3 of those 5 levels

True true, I guess it'll be worth it.

Also, I think I've fallen in love with the great crossbow.