PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Walk

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-10, 10:29 AM
I've been looking at this spell, but can't for the life of me figure out exactly which planes border the Shadow Realm. Does anyone have more exact information?

NEO|Phyte
2010-01-10, 10:42 AM
The Plane of Shadow is a dimly lit dimension that is both coterminous to and coexistent with the Material Plane. It overlaps the Material Plane much as the Ethereal Plane does, so a planar traveler can use the Plane of Shadow to cover great distances quickly.

The Plane of Shadow is also coterminous to other planes. With the right spell, a character can use the Plane of Shadow to visit other realities.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/planes.htm#planeOfShadow

Cicciograna
2010-01-10, 10:42 AM
It depends on which setting you are playing in: for example, IIRC, in the Great Wheel only the Material Plane is linked to the Plane of Shadows.

EDIT: ninja'd and proved wrong...

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-10, 10:45 AM
So is it just basically all other planes?

Jimp
2010-01-10, 11:07 AM
According to the Manual of the Planes it's basically the material plane though darker and looks a bit different. Other planes can be accessed through it via the right spell or through exploring the deep shadow regions.

NEO|Phyte
2010-01-10, 11:08 AM
material plane for sure, plus whatever your DM decides "other planes" means. Lemme quick look at some of the SRD descriptions, see if they mention the Shadow Plane.
:edit: None of the other planes in the SRD explicitly mention it.

Sinfire Titan
2010-01-10, 11:12 AM
I've been looking at this spell, but can't for the life of me figure out exactly which planes border the Shadow Realm. Does anyone have more exact information?

Well, if all else fails, 4Kids has a portal to it somewhere in their office.

Thames
2010-01-10, 11:42 AM
Depends on the setting - I understand 3ed Faerun to have the shadow plane coterminous and coexistant with the material plane only within the setting; but also every other material plane from every other setting.

In short I think the spell is for fast travel on the material only, unless your campaign features setting hopping of somesuch in which case the travel is dangerous and hard to navigate (read really high level)

Deth Muncher
2010-01-10, 11:55 AM
Well, if all else fails, 4Kids has a portal to it somewhere in their office.

I lol'd.

Wait, so this means it borders on the very depths of (the) Hell(s), then.

EDIT: Hey wait. I remember someone mentioning a week or two ago something about elementals that were part shadow, and making the joke "There are shadows on the Elemental Plane of Fire?" (May have actually been you, PF.) So, then, there's a chance that the Plane of Shadow borders with the elemental planes.

Also, as an aside, keep in mind that the Shadow Realm is where the Triforce is kept, so be sure to nab it on your way out.

Starbuck_II
2010-01-10, 12:15 PM
Also, as an aside, keep in mind that the Shadow Realm is where the Triforce is kept, so be sure to nab it on your way out.

Only 2 pieces Link always has Courage (part of his class features).

IonDragon
2010-01-10, 12:25 PM
Only 2 pieces Link always has Courage (part of his class features).

So nab the 2 and use the power you pick up to help you kill Link after you get out:smallamused:

Optimystik
2010-01-10, 12:30 PM
It's definitely not just the Material Plane. Tome of Magic: "The Plane of Shadow neighbors and overlaps the Material Plane, and many of the others as well."

Deth Muncher
2010-01-10, 12:47 PM
Ambiguity! Yay!

Draz74
2010-01-10, 01:44 PM
I always thought it was pretty much all the Inner Planes: the Ethereal, the Air/Earth/Fire/Water, and the Positive/Negative Energy.

Fishy
2010-01-10, 01:54 PM
It basically works like this:

http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/7629/tormentv.jpg

JonestheSpy
2010-01-10, 02:12 PM
Well, if we go by the attitude so many folks had in that Rope Trick discussion, the fact that it doesn't specifically say which planes means no planes at all, too bad. Unless it's spelled out exactly, it's just meaningless flavor text.

Of course I expect the attitude shifts radically depending on whether the ambiguity favors the players or not...

Foryn Gilnith
2010-01-10, 03:02 PM
Well, that's awfully and needlessly hostile. Especially since this isn't a strictly RAW discussion.

But JonestheSpy has a point. Without knowledge of what those other planes are, the only certain use of the spell is to use the material plane. DM could say that some other planes border on the Shadow, the same way DM could further adjudicate Rope Trick; but neither is a given.

So ask the relevant DM. Or the arbiter, if you're playing in some odd arena.

Eldan
2010-01-10, 03:05 PM
It depends on the setting, really. AD&D planescape had it as a Demiplane overlapping nothing but the ethereal and the material. Other sources, I think, mentioned it as a full transitive plane, connecting all shadows on all planes.

Longcat
2010-01-10, 03:09 PM
Afaik, the Shadow plane borders the material plane, the ethereal plane, and the four elemental planes.

Optimystik
2010-01-10, 03:32 PM
It has to border the elemental ones. Tome of Magic - when a wizard pulls from the EP of Fire to power his fire spells, for instance, the lost energy creates a corresponding shadow on the Plane of Shadow - that explains how it's possible for Shadow Evocations/Conjurations to be partially real.

@ Jones: Try to remember it's just a game. If you want your players not to have fun, by all means rule that way.

InkEyes
2010-01-10, 03:40 PM
IIRC, the Manual of the Planes says that the Plane of Shadow is connected to the Material Plane, the Ethereal Plane, and other material planes (alternate realities). Apparently, wandering through the most rugged terrain in the Plane of Shadow will eventually cause you to stumble onto an alternate reality. The Manual of the Planes only really works when you're using Greyhawk though, so it's probably different in other campaign settings. I wish I could find an online copy of the diagram they had in the book, an inadequate version is here (http://everything2.com/title/Manual+of+the+Planes), but it looked much cooler as a sketch on a piece of parchment.

JonestheSpy
2010-01-10, 04:13 PM
Well, that's awfully and needlessly hostile. Especially since this isn't a strictly RAW discussion.

Oops, sorry. Darn that lack of vocal inflection on the interwebs.

But JonestheSpy has a point. Without knowledge of what those other planes are, the only certain use of the spell is to use the material plane. DM could say that some other planes border on the Shadow, the same way DM could further adjudicate Rope Trick; but neither is a given.

Thank you. Contrary to the impression I seem to have given Optimystik, I do know it's a game, which is why I feel that DM's should interpret ambiguities or inconstistencies as they see fit, or even throw a rule out the window if it makes no sense or is badly written, like that thing about archery full attacks not provoking AoO's or whatever it was being discussed awhile back. Just pointing out the inconsistency of saying DM's should ignore x ambiguity but figure out a rule for y, especially when x hinders players and y helps.

Optimystik
2010-01-10, 04:23 PM
The argument in the Rope Trick thread was a RAW discussion - i.e. if a DM created some reaction between extraplanar storage and the spell, he would be doing so as a houserule, not by RAW.

Naturally, he has every right to do so, just as his players have every right to mutiny if they dislike his houserules.

Rules of the Game, however, explicitly recommends not creating such an interaction. That is RAI. The Plane of Shadow being coterminous to "many" other planes indicates that you can use it to travel to them - also RAI.