PDA

View Full Version : {3.5 e} "Iron" Mike Tyson-type build

AirGuitarGod32
2010-01-10, 12:14 PM
Its funny how sometimes the most unusual things influence the most unusual builds.

This is my thought...

Monk Sux
Unarmed Swordsage is Better
an Unarmed Fighter is Even Better
How to make a Mike Tyson Warforged (NPC)

and NO BITE ATTACK!!!

SurlySeraph
2010-01-10, 12:32 PM
I don't think Unarmed Swordsage fits Tyson well; too much finesse and artistry, not enough smashing people really hard in the face until they fall down. I'd try Barbarian with Improved Unarmed Strike and Superior Unarmed Strike, going into the Fist of the Forest PrC for more unarmed power and Con to AC.
Plus Fist of the Forest gets a bite attack while in Feral Trance.

AirGuitarGod32
2010-01-10, 12:35 PM
I don't think Unarmed Swordsage fits Tyson well; too much finesse and artistry, not enough smashing people really hard in the face until they fall down. I'd try Barbarian with Improved Unarmed Strike and Superior Unarmed Strike, going into the Fist of the Forest PrC for more unarmed power and Con to AC.
Plus Fist of the Forest gets a bite attack while in Feral Trance.

I thought of that as a distinct possibility, though I thought one could focus on upgrading the Warforged's slam attack(s)

HCL
2010-01-10, 12:36 PM
Be a Darfellan (Stormwrack). Black guy with a bite attack ^^

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-10, 12:39 PM
Needs levels in Reaping Mauler.

Draz74
2010-01-10, 12:41 PM
I don't think Unarmed Swordsage fits Tyson well; too much finesse and artistry, not enough smashing people really hard in the face until they fall down.

:smallsigh: People are so closed-minded about what the Swordsage class can do ...

Nothing prevents a Swordsage being low-Dex, high-Str, and focusing on Stone Dragon maneuvers, you know. In fact, if you mix in a bit of Setting Sun (throws especially), this really becomes a pretty effective combo.

Spiryt
2010-01-10, 12:54 PM
:smallsigh: People are so closed-minded about what the Swordsage class can do ...

Nothing prevents a Swordsage being low-Dex, high-Str, and focusing on Stone Dragon maneuvers, you know. In fact, if you mix in a bit of Setting Sun (throws especially), this really becomes a pretty effective combo.

If Mike Tyson was low- Dex, I don't want to meet someone with high in fight. :smalltongue:

Draz74
2010-01-10, 12:56 PM
If Mike Tyson was low- Dex, I don't even want to meet someone with high in fight. :smalltongue:

Heh. No, he was high-Dex. I was just making the point that Swordsage can be Strength-focused.

SurlySeraph
2010-01-10, 01:01 PM
True, but Warblade and Crusader are better at just smashing people. You can't tell me Mike Tyson doesn't have full BAB.

Spiryt
2010-01-10, 01:03 PM
Heh. No, he was high-Dex. I was just making the point that Swordsage can be Strength-focused.

I see. Since I don't have ToB I don't have much too add on this, though. :smallwink:

Draz74
2010-01-10, 01:10 PM
True, but Warblade and Crusader are better at just smashing people. You can't tell me Mike Tyson doesn't have full BAB.

Hmmm. Swordsage gets free Weapon Focus with Unarmed Strike (since Tyson obviously picks Stone Dragon or Setting Sun weapons). So, until Level 5, that makes Swordsage have attack bonuses that are indistinguishable from full BAB. And at higher levels ... I could still see him with Medium BAB, as long as he has various Swordsage tricks that add attack bonuses and/or extra attacks (Flashing Sun, Snap Kick of course ... I doubt he's anywhere near high enough level for Avalanche of Blows, but that's another maneuver that puts Full BAB to shame).

What I can't imagine Tyson not having is the Clever Positioning maneuver. Possibly Counter Charge and Baffling Defense too.

Starbuck_II
2010-01-10, 01:10 PM

My current character Harry is low Dex (12, but 14 with gloves of Dex) and 18 Str. He is a Warlock/Binder/Swordsage (Warlock grants him flight).

9mm
2010-01-10, 01:14 PM
I see warhulk in your future....

The Dark Fiddler
2010-01-10, 02:24 PM
Why would you want to build the Kid Dynamite? He lost! You should be building Little Mac!Granted, he lost too in the ending for Punch-Out!! Wii, in a surprisingly heartbreaking scene, but still!

AirGuitarGod32
2010-01-10, 06:49 PM
Why would you want to build the Kid Dynamite? He lost! You should be building Little Mac!Granted, he lost too in the ending for Punch-Out!! Wii, in a surprisingly heartbreaking scene, but still!

Because the DM had JUST watched his first Tyson Fight. It's all my fault. Now he wants us to fight "Iron Fist" (The Tyson Rip-off)

Eldariel
2010-01-10, 06:51 PM
Clearly Barbarian/Chaos Monk/Stoneblessed/Fist of the Forests/Deepwarden/UA SS

AirGuitarGod32
2010-01-10, 07:22 PM
Clearly Barbarian/Chaos Monk/Stoneblessed/Fist of the Forests/Deepwarden/UA SS

NOT THE FACE!! NOT THE...-You Build Knocks Him Out-

Thurbane
2010-01-10, 08:29 PM
I second this.

Also, the Fists of Iron feat (CW).

...maybe Willing Deformity (teeth) - to get a bite attack? :smallbiggrin:

Eldariel
2010-01-10, 08:33 PM
I second this.

Also, the Fists of Iron feat (CW).

...maybe Willing Deformity (teeth) - to get a bite attack? :smallbiggrin:

Mike Tyson isn't a wrestler O.o

Thurbane
2010-01-10, 08:35 PM
Mike Tyson isn't a wrestler O.o
True, but are you saying if Mike Tyson got you in a grapple you wouldn't be in serious trouble?

Eldariel
2010-01-10, 08:36 PM
True, but are you saying if Mike Tyson got you in a grapple you wouldn't be in serious trouble?

I'm in serious trouble 'cause he has ~30 Str and punches really hard, not 'cause he can put me in a sleeper lock/armbar/whatever. I'd most likely be in more trouble standing up 'cause he has more distance for harder punches. Though I'd have my face remodelled either way.

Thurbane
2010-01-10, 08:40 PM
Well sometimes when you're discussing these "fun" builds, you have to use "close enough" PrCs. You could say that his clinching in the ring is a type of wrestling. Is there a Pugilist PrC out there that I've missed? :smallbiggrin:

Eldariel
2010-01-10, 08:42 PM
Well sometimes when you're discussing these "fun" builds, you have to use "close enough" PrCs. You could say that his clinching in the ring is a type of wrestling. Is there a Pugilist PrC out there that I've missed? :smallbiggrin:

I think that's called Unarmed Swordsage or Barbarian :smallwink: Why d'ya need a PrC again?

LibraryOgre
2010-01-11, 12:13 PM
Why not go with a Warblade? High HD, Stone Dragon Smash, and does well with the armor you're likely to put on him?

Optimator
2010-01-11, 07:05 PM

Nothing needs levels in Reaping Mauler :smallwink:

The Dark Fiddler
2010-01-11, 07:23 PM
I'm in serious trouble 'cause he has ~30 Str and punches really hard, not 'cause he can put me in a sleeper lock/armbar/whatever. I'd most likely be in more trouble standing up 'cause he has more distance for harder punches. Though I'd have my face remodelled either way.

Isn't the human max 18?

Granted, Tyson's likely to have a few class levels, but he sure doesn't have the epic levels necessary for the stat bonuses to get ~30 strength.

Telonius
2010-01-11, 07:48 PM
I seem to remember somebody trying to stat out Sir Michael the Iron before, but it might have been a victim of the forum cleanup.

Important question, though - are we basing this off of the actual Mike Tyson, or off of Mike Tyson's Punch-Out! ?

Isn't the human max 18?

Granted, Tyson's likely to have a few class levels, but he sure doesn't have the epic levels necessary for the stat bonuses to get ~30 strength.

Orc or Half-Orc. :smallbiggrin:

Thurbane
2010-01-11, 07:54 PM
The build also needs some serious Intimidate based stuff...Intimidating Strike, Never Outnumbered etc.

Eldariel
2010-01-11, 10:38 PM
Isn't the human max 18?

Level-ups, Rage (oh c'mon, it's Mike Effin' Tyson, of course he gets angry!), class features; I see him with at least 30 Str. :smallwink:

Book Wyrm
2010-01-11, 11:34 PM
Based on his performance in The Hangover I'd actually go with a Bard/Warblade using Song of the White Raven. He only ever sings one song (and poorly at that, low charisma) and then just walks up to bad guys and one shots them, maybe one level of monk with the PHB2 decisive strike instead of flurry.

link for hilarity (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_oAvdvQW18&feature=channel)