PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Psychic warior ACF ?

zagan
2010-01-10, 12:32 PM
The Psychic warrior ACF found here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a) is reputed to be in every way superior to playing a Soulknife while keeping the flavor.

But while the weapon gained is without a doubt superior, I'm not that sure how to overcome the action economy problem wich is as follow:

The soulknife use a move action and from 5th level onward a free action to draw is mindblade.

A psywar must use the call weaponery power (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/SRD:Call_Weaponry) wich necessite one round and you need to be at least level 7 to quicken it (a swift action) and you can't augment the power to gain other enchantment (5pp per +1) before level 12 because quickening the power cost 6pp.

It seem to me that at the start of every fight a psywar must spent his first round to summon is weapon that's a serious problem to me.

Am I missing something obvious ? Is there a way to remedy that problem ? (apart from lowering the pp cost with earth power or midnight augmentation)

Edit: Neither feat work because of the way they are used.

The Glyphstone
2010-01-10, 12:35 PM
Strictly, yes - Mind Blade is slightly better than the Soulbound Weapon ACF. The thing is that Mind Blade and things that help it are the Soulknife's entire package, while the PsyWar gets manifesting and a bunch of bonus feats on top of his free weapon - when you look at the two classes in their entirety, PsyWar+ACF blows Soulknife out of the water.

zagan
2010-01-10, 12:56 PM
Strictly, yes - Mind Blade is slightly better than the Soulbound Weapon ACF. The thing is that Mind Blade and things that help it are the Soulknife's entire package, while the PsyWar gets manifesting and a bunch of bonus feats on top of his free weapon - when you look at the two classes in their entirety, PsyWar+ACF blows Soulknife out of the water.

Yes, I agree with you on that, still to me losing one round in most fight because you need to summon your weapon seem like a big lose when the action economy is so important in D&D.

Eldariel
2010-01-10, 01:01 PM
Yes, I agree with you on that, still to me losing one round in most fight because you need to summon your weapon seem like a big lose when the action economy is so important in D&D.

You can Link it pretty easily; turn 1 Hustle linked into Called Weaponry, Schism linked into Generic Buff, go to town.

Optimystik
2010-01-10, 01:09 PM

Again you need to look at the big picture. The 1 round lost by not being a Soulknife is easily made up by powers like Anticipatory Strike or Inconstant Location that Soulknives can't get.

If you really want Quicken Power sooner, just be a Synad - they can manifest all their powers as swift actions, so just have them call the blade, move and attack, or call the blade and full attack. No rounds lost.

Also, what Eldariel said.

In the end, having the mind blade + powers will always be better than just the blade, even if its harder to draw.

zagan
2010-01-10, 01:17 PM
If you really want Quicken Power sooner, just be a Synad - they can manifest all their powers as swift actions, so just have them call the blade, move and attack, or call the blade and full attack. No rounds lost.

I didn't know that it's a great trick, thanks for the tip !

Fishy
2010-01-10, 01:57 PM
Um. No they can't.

A few times per day, they can get an additional swift action that can be used only on a purely mental action. So they can manifest Hustle or a quickened power, but it's not nearly that broken.

Optimystik
2010-01-10, 02:17 PM
A few times per day, they can get an additional swift action that can be used only on a purely mental action. So they can manifest Hustle or a quickened power, but it's not nearly that broken.

I forgot the daily restriction. Nevertheless, you can still use it to call your weaponry if you need to.

You could also get Persistent Power from Hyperconscious, and manifest the blade every morning. The Permanent Focus feat from the same book can keep it active even if you expend your focus for other reasons throughout the day.