PDA

View Full Version : Really???

Brendan
2010-01-10, 12:41 PM
So, every once in a while you find something so hopelessly overpowered that it surprises you. It makes you wonder if the writers were even paying attention to what they wrote. Recently, I noticed a feat in BoED that made your body do 1d6 dex dqmage to an evil enemy whenever you punched it. No prerequisites. With this a monk that can sneak up on a greay wyrm dragon can knock it out with a flurry ofblows. A level one monk. Admittedly, it allows a fort save, but it still effectively gives the character infinate poison. Am I reading it correctly or is it this badly written.

Draz74
2010-01-10, 12:46 PM
So, every once in a while you find something so hopelessly overpowered that it surprises you. It makes you wonder if the writers were even paying attention to what they wrote. Recently, I noticed a feat in BoED that made your body do 1d6 dex dqmage to an evil enemy whenever you punched it. No prerequisites. With this a monk that can sneak up on a greay wyrm dragon can knock it out with a flurry ofblows. A level one monk. Admittedly, it allows a fort save, but it still effectively gives the character infinate poison. Am I reading it correctly or is it this badly written.

Touch of Golden Ice? It's a powerful feat to be sure, but hardly game-breaking. Especially at higher levels (the save DC doesn't scale). Dragons have good Fort saves, so ... no, a Monk can't one-shot a great wyrm with this. (Never mind the difficulty of "sneaking up on" a great wyrm in any case ... I suppose the Monk could have Darkstalker.)

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-01-10, 12:46 PM
You're reading it correctly. The real fun is combining it with a Kobold and similar for massive nat attacks.

SurlySeraph
2010-01-10, 12:48 PM
If you want Brokenness of Exalted Deeds, look at the Starmantle Cloak. It lets you ignore mundane weapons and make a Reflex save for half damage against attacks with magic weapons. Though no sane DM would allow it, by RAW a Rogue with Improved Evasion and high enough saves could become virtually immune to weapons with it.

Draz74
2010-01-10, 12:55 PM
If you want Brokenness of Exalted Deeds, look at the Starmantle Cloak. It lets you ignore mundane weapons and make a Reflex save for half damage against attacks with magic weapons. Though no sane DM would allow it, by RAW a Rogue with Improved Evasion and high enough saves could become virtually immune to weapons with it.

Yeah, BoED occasionally raises all kinds of enraged cries of "Broken!", but Starmantle Cloak is the only thing in it that I truly find immediate 100% ban-worthy. (Well, maybe Retributive Amulet ... but it got nerfed in MIC.)

Yuki Akuma
2010-01-10, 12:56 PM
A DC 12 Fort save to negate the poison.

DC 12.

That's not overpowered. To make it at all useful you'd have to spend feats on improving the DC!

There is no dragon that would ever fail that save on anything less than about a 7.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-10, 01:15 PM
A Dragon with a fort save of 11 and Steadfast Determination can't fail the save ever.