PDA

View Full Version : Undead with energy drain and temp hp

Otodetu
2010-01-10, 01:13 PM
Something suddenly came up;

Do temp hp gained by undead creatures with energy drain stack with itself,granting the undead a massive hit-point wall (max double regular hp) if it can get the chance to drain up in advance?

Or is it just the higher value; like the aid spell? (which makes it rather sucky)

My group have always played with stacking energy drain temp hp, and i am now suddenly unsure about what the correct ruling is.

Fishy
2010-01-10, 01:21 PM
Temp HP, regardless of source, never stack. Undead that throw around Energy Drain have temp HP that constantly regenerates, but it's not as bad as you've been playing it.

Otodetu
2010-01-10, 01:26 PM
Learned it from my old dm (he loves running vampires), but thanks for the answer.

Runestar
2010-01-10, 06:40 PM
Temp hp stack only if they are from different sources. They never stack if they are from the same source. See rules compendium or the FAQ for clarification. :smallsmile:

So no, your undead would never get more than 5 temp hp at any time this way.

Douglas
2010-01-10, 09:44 PM
Temp HP, regardless of source, never stack.
This is true in 4e (though I think there are one or two specific exceptions), but not in 3.5e.

Temp hp stack only if they are from different sources. They never stack if they are from the same source. See rules compendium or the FAQ for clarification. :smallsmile:

So no, your undead would never get more than 5 temp hp at any time this way.
Rules Compendium page 72, specifically. Temp hp from different sources stack, but not from the same source. With regard to damage taken, temp hp work on a first in first out basis - the temp hp you gained first are the ones that damage takes away first. This may matter if you have temp hp from multiple sources with different durations.

Zaq
2010-01-10, 11:36 PM
RAW, what has been said here is correct.

RAI, it seems to me that they should be able to gain multiple sets of temp HP. For proof, I offer the Dream Vestige (Libris Mortis): Whenever it uses its ability draining attack (in this case, it's called "Form Consumption"), it gains temp HP. It also has the ability "Self Spawn," which causes it to split into two identical Dream Vestiges when it has temp HP equal to its normal max HP. Since the only way it has to gain temp HP is Form Consumption, it seems to me that it would be impossible for Self Spawn to ever activate if Form Consumption couldn't stack with itself. The intent, then, seems to be that the temp HP that undead gain from draining your delicious life force should stack.

Lamech
2010-01-10, 11:52 PM
Question: Does rule compendium say it overrides old stuff? Anyway, stacking temp HP was obviously the intent when the rule was first made. Perhaps they later realized that was stupid?

Runestar
2010-01-11, 01:25 AM
Question: Does rule compendium say it overrides old stuff?

It pretty much states that it is the definitive guide on how to play the 3.5 revision of dnd. :smalltongue:

Otodetu
2010-02-16, 07:45 PM
RAW, what has been said here is correct.

RAI, it seems to me that they should be able to gain multiple sets of temp HP. For proof, I offer the Dream Vestige (Libris Mortis): Whenever it uses its ability draining attack (in this case, it's called "Form Consumption"), it gains temp HP. It also has the ability "Self Spawn," which causes it to split into two identical Dream Vestiges when it has temp HP equal to its normal max HP. Since the only way it has to gain temp HP is Form Consumption, it seems to me that it would be impossible for Self Spawn to ever activate if Form Consumption couldn't stack with itself. The intent, then, seems to be that the temp HP that undead gain from draining your delicious life force should stack.

Sorry to semi-necro this thread; but it is better than starting a new thread.

So, are there any clear rulings on how temp hp from undead stack?

I have seen rulings saying they don't stack and proof that dictates that the temporary hit points do in fact stack.