PDA

View Full Version : Steathly character

Paganboy28
2010-01-10, 01:32 PM
I would like a character who is sneaky, stealthy and generally the sort who people don't see unless he wants to be seen.

I was thinking a doppleganger rogue/assassin.

Draz74
2010-01-10, 01:37 PM
So, are you asking a question? Or just wanting to know if your idea will work? Or asking how it can be improved?

Yes, this build will work fine in most games.

Yes, it can be improved in a myriad of ways, if optimization is what you're after. Dark Whisper Gnome Factotum, for a start.

herrhauptmann
2010-01-10, 02:24 PM
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871666/The_35_Rogue_Handbook
There's A handbook. It might not be the best.

Take 'craven' and 'darkstalker.' Craven gets you an extra point of damage per level (might also be 'per hit die') when you sneak attack. This is multiplied in crits even though regular sneak attack damage is not.
Darkstalker is vital, it lets you attempt to hide versus things with tremor sense, blindsight, etc.

Instead of going doppelganger (sp?), why not something with less LA and racial hit die? The shade template from Forgotten realms campaign setting is a LA +2, there's also 'Dark' from ToM. 'half-Shadow elemental' from Manual of Planes (or planar handbook, I forget which).
The doppel can hide in crowds by transforming, all the others have some form of hide in shadows or hide in plain sight.

Whispergnomes are awesome for the whole stealthy thing. Level 5, with 18 dex, can get a +22 in hide, and +17 in move silently, without magic (need a lot of stacking from various sources). And they get 'silencing strike' when you make a sneak attack, your target is enveloped in a Silence spell centered on him. It uses up one of your daily uses of Silence. But totally worth it.

Paganboy28
2010-01-10, 02:58 PM
Instead of going doppelganger (sp?), why not something with less LA and racial hit die? The shade template from Forgotten realms campaign setting is a LA +2, there's also 'Dark' from ToM. 'half-Shadow elemental' from Manual of Planes (or planar handbook, I forget which).
The doppel can hide in crowds by transforming, all the others have some form of hide in shadows or hide in plain sight.

I like the concept of a doppleganger.

Glimbur
2010-01-10, 03:03 PM
I like the concept of a doppleganger.

Changeling can do most of what you want for much less LA and racial hit dice. They're from Eberron, but I'm not sure which book.

Nate the Snake
2010-01-10, 03:28 PM
Changelings are from Eberron Campaign Setting. They are also in Monster Manual III.

Draz74
2010-01-10, 09:02 PM
Here's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88715) another handbook for stealthy characters in general.