PDA

View Full Version : Google Chrome-an Online Operating System

TSGames
2010-01-10, 01:37 PM
http://blogs.todayonline.com/techtalk/2010/01/a-glimpse-at-googles-chrome-operating-system/

So it begins. Google is releasing an operating system called 'Chrome'. The OS is scheduled for release on netbooks in the second half of 2010. Chrome will be an entirely web-based operating system. All documents, data, and programs will be used and stored on the internet. The OS is not meant to be installed on any machine, but rather will come pre-installed on selected netbooks.

Google, the way to the future.

Gaelbert
2010-01-10, 02:53 PM
Google, the wave (wave.google.com) of the future.
Seriously. They will conquer the world. And I'm not entirely sure if I'm against that.

Gamerlord
2010-01-10, 02:56 PM
*Travels 30 years into the future*
*Comes back*

GUYS!
You MUST come with me to the future!

EVERYTHING IS OWNED BY GOOGLE!
THEY HAVE TAKEN OVER THE WORLD!
INTO MY TIME-TRAVELING DELOREAN*!

*Those who gets the back to the future referance get a cookie.

Seriously though, this sounds cool, if its runs games built for windows, I might switch to it!

DraPrime
2010-01-10, 03:46 PM
It being web based seems like it would bring up problems. So if you can't get a connection, can you not get any files? That seems like a bit of a problem.

TSGames
2010-01-10, 04:00 PM
I didn't want to put this in the opening post, but I am entirely against Chrome OS. The online operating systems are merely the next step to cloud computing, and they will usher in a new age for ease of use applications and computer design. They will also exacerbate already epidemic level security and information vulnerabilities. Spreadsheets, word documents, pictures, private messages, emails, searches, the books we read through Google Books, IP addresses, browser and computer information, videos we watch, and even music listened to will all be archived and stored in the Google cloud. In fact, everything except the last in that list is already stored as data in the Google cloud, and is archived by IP address, e-mail account, and any other Google login ID.

When Google's servers are compromised, it will mean theft of not merely personal information, but theft of all of the most personal information about anyone using their products; emails, documents, music, videos, searches, login times, IP addresses, IM conversations, just to name a few.

To make matters worse, within this decade we will see the Internet become ubiquitous in nearly all first world nations. The proliferation of malicious hacking and identity theft will be worse than it has ever been before. Even if Google's servers are not compromised in the near future, the ease with which unskilled hackers will be able to steal personal data merely by listening on inadequately defended city wide or personal networks will mean unparalleled rates of identity theft.

The final and worst part of it is this: under U.S. and most European and Asian legal codes, Google is not responsible in any capacity for data leaked or stolen from their systems.

Make no mistake, online-operating systems and cloud computing are the wave of future; they will offer unparalleled convenience. The uneducated world populous is about to flock to a technology for which the world is not yet prepared, and they will be but sheep to the slaughter. Truly we are entering the Golden Age of the Hacker, and Google is it’s herald.

It being web based seems like it would bring up problems. So if you can't get a connection, can you not get any files? That seems like a bit of a problem.
If I know Google, they have already thought of this. My prediction is that the final release will have the ability to store files locally, and to use applications without an internet connection.

Kallisti
2010-01-10, 04:04 PM
That is...extremely melodramatic, and yet so utterly true. I don't mind using the Google search engine. I don't mind using their e-mail or even their web browser. But an online OS? Count me out.

Soterion
2010-01-10, 04:06 PM
If I know Google, they have already thought of this. My prediction is that the final release will have the ability to store files locally, and to use applications without an internet connection.

Then what's the point? I mean, I have that with Windows 7 and I don't have to worry about all my personal data being on some distant server vulnerable to Teh Haxxors. What's the marketing going to be? "We're introducing a new OS that has all the same functionality as your old OS, but is gravy for identity thieves and doesn't work as well"?

Ichneumon
2010-01-10, 04:09 PM
Then what's the point? I mean, I have that with Windows 7 and I don't have to worry about all my personal data being on some distant server vulnerable to Teh Haxxors. What's the marketing going to be? "We're introducing a new OS that has all the same functionality as your old OS, but is gravy for identity thieves and doesn't work as well"?

No, I think the marketing is going to be like "Look, it's fast, boots up really fast, is easy and it just works."

SDF
2010-01-10, 04:10 PM
It says for netbooks, and the internet is all those things are really decent for anyway.

SMEE
2010-01-10, 04:13 PM
Business wise, this will be a bless.

All those business people will have access to their work data and programs at their netbooks with ease, if they have means to connect to the internet.

For the common user, it's nothing too big. There are better OSes out there that will suit their needs better.

Don't be surprised if Microsoft follow this trend and release an Windows for netbooks following this premise. After all, for business, it will work really well.

Soterion
2010-01-10, 04:17 PM
No, I think the marketing is going to be like "Look, it's fast, boots up really fast, is easy and it just works."

...unless you already own a computer, in which case you're going to have to spend 300 dollars to buy a netbook so you can use Chrome, and if you want a computer that can run high-end apps, well, you're out of luck.

Google's anti-Net philosophy has me worried.

TSGames
2010-01-10, 04:24 PM
Sadly, I don't believe GitP allows video embedding in posts, so here is the link to their ad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QRO3gKj3qw
Also, you can find the same video in the originally linked post. The fact of the matter is that the general populous does not think about security. Google will push convenience: it has you booted and connected to the internet in 7 seconds, you can alter documents/desktop and log in from any other computer anywhere and it will be exactly the same as the way you left it, it will incorporate media and Google services in a way that no other operating systems has ever done before, etc. In short, it's shiny, it's fast, it's new, it's easy, and it comes on netbooks that are also fast, shiny, new, and easy. This is a tried and true marketing strategy, and, when combined with Google's already flawless reputation with the masses, means that the few nay-sayers will, as is traditional for nay-sayers, be ignored.

I only post this here because I believe the folks in this community, while not generally versed in the more esoteric operations of computers, are usually very kind, and often slightly ahead of the bell curve. Playgrounders, you should arm yourselves with knowledge, because if knowledge is power, than a god is Google.

KuReshtin
2010-01-10, 04:39 PM
*Those who gets the back to the future referance get a cookie.

Everyone should have got that reference. It's not like it's a really obscure reference or anything.

...unless you already own a computer, in which case you're going to have to spend 300 dollars to buy a netbook so you can use Chrome, and if you want a computer that can run high-end apps, well, you're out of luck.

So, if you want a computer that runs high-end apps, why would you feel the need to run Chrome, if it's obviously not geared towards running those high-end apps? That just sounds like throwing away money just for the sake of telling people you have a computer that's running on Chrome.

remember, just because they release the OS doesn't necessarily mean you HAVE to get it.

All they need now, though is the holographic interface with the virtual gloves, sell it for US$99 and you've got the e-Magi*.

*Cookies for anyone that gets that movie reference.

Mauve Shirt
2010-01-10, 04:42 PM
I had a dream that Picasso predicted that Google would be the downfall of humanity and hid clues in his paintings to how to keep them from taking over the world.

Soterion
2010-01-10, 04:49 PM
I had a dream that Picasso predicted that Google would be the downfall of humanity and hid clues in his paintings to how to keep them from taking over the world.

I saw that movie.

Gamerlord
2010-01-10, 04:52 PM
Everyone should have got that reference. It's not like it's a really obscure reference or anything.

Still, I like handing out cookies.
The cookie is poisen.
Here, have a cookie!

KuReshtin
2010-01-10, 04:55 PM
Still, I like handing out cookies.
The cookie is poisen.
Here, have a cookie!

Mmmmmmm.. Cookie! *nomnomnomnom*

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-10, 05:03 PM
Mmmmmmm.. Cookie! *nomnomnomnom*

NO IT'S A TRAP....Ah crap, too late.

Dips on his hat.

lesser_minion
2010-01-10, 06:04 PM
Seriously though, this sounds cool, if its runs games built for windows, I might switch to it!

This isn't really meant for anything hardcore enough to play most games.

Also, Wine is available for absolutely everything with a screen. You can probably run quite a few Windows games successfully on Dragonfly BSD...

Are you sure you're using the best criteria for picking an OS here?

Soterion
2010-01-10, 06:07 PM
Also, Wine is available for absolutely everything with a screen.

But remember, Wine is not an emulator.

lesser_minion
2010-01-10, 06:08 PM
But remember, Wine is not an emulator.

True. I forgot to mention that your processor has to be compatible with Windows as well.

Gamerlord
2010-01-10, 06:15 PM
This isn't really meant for anything hardcore enough to play most games.

Also, Wine is available for absolutely everything with a screen. You can probably run quite a few Windows games successfully on Dragonfly BSD...

Are you sure you're using the best criteria for picking an OS here?

Good point, guess I'm sticking with Windows XP.

lesser_minion
2010-01-10, 06:25 PM
Good point, guess I'm sticking with Windows XP.

Well, if you want, you can try running windows games on Dragonfly BSD.

My experiences with BSD operating systems aren't particularly positive however. You do have to spend a while messing around with the console before you can get anything useful (even graphics).

Oh, and as far as I can tell, Opera is the only half-decent browser that actually has a native version for Dragonfly. And that's stretching it, since it's actually the FreeBSD version.

Copper8642
2010-01-10, 06:29 PM
http://www.unitedspongebob.com/pictures/misc/chrome.jpg

Everything is chrome in the future!

valadil
2010-01-10, 10:27 PM
Cloud storage is convenient some of the time. I love having my bookmarks sync to the cloud. But all your docs is just a useless trend. I won't at all be surprised when 'local, private storage' is considered a feature to advertise computers with hard drives.

chiasaur11
2010-01-10, 11:39 PM
http://www.unitedspongebob.com/pictures/misc/chrome.jpg

Everything is chrome in the future!

Now that is how you reference things.

Good show.

Icewalker
2010-01-11, 12:27 AM
I have been using google docs with my netbook because cloud computing is incredibly useful. It makes it so many times easier to work on documents from school or home, and without any need to physically transfer copies, and without any logistics to consider with regards to making sure you're always working on the most up to date file.

The other thing about this is that because it is an entirely internet-based OS, the computing requirements/memory of the computer can be minuscule, and it will run as well as other computers. You need practically no file storage capabilities on the computer. They will be much cheaper, and much faster, and much smaller, than other machines that can do the same amount of things. That's why they have a market. If you want high end programs, or gaming, they're useless: that's not the market. But it's incredibly useful for a small scale work computer for writing, schoolwork, whatever else.

Now, the idea of hacking and risk of information is certainly true and existent. Depends on how much of your own information you want to put on the internet though. You could use a system like this and still never put most, or if you're careful, all of your vital information on it. It's an issue of your own choice and willingness to put it in some measure of risk.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-11, 12:50 AM
Dips on his hat.

Then I calls DIBS on his hat.:smalltongue: