PDA

View Full Version : How do I scale down this adventure?

Ozreth
2010-01-10, 01:56 PM
So as some people may have read, I am playing my first (4e) game tonight. Gonna run Kobold Hall with some people who are completely new to d&d.

Originally there were 4 players...now there may only be two showing, but we are going to play anyways. I know we won't be getting the most out of it but what the heck, weve been trying to get this group together for two long.

Anyways, if we do indeed only have myself and the two players doing this thing, can you guys advice me on how to scale everything down and keep it somewhat balanced. Dosen't have to be perfect. Thanks in advance.

akma
2010-01-10, 02:03 PM
I am not familier with 4E, but I can give you some general advice.
When there is a fight with a number of enemies, cut the number of enemies in half. If there is a fight against one creature, you could cut half of those fights (prefereblly those who aren`t realy tied to the plot). If there is a boss monster in the end, half it`s HP.

bosssmiley
2010-01-10, 03:16 PM
Play the adventure as written. See if the players can play smart enough to survive. :smallwink:

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-01-10, 03:42 PM
At the games club where I regularly run stuff, some total newbies turned up to play - as invited - and I found there were far more than I could handle (9 or 10, IIRC).
Five of them went off to play a pre-written adventure that a friend had, and I ran my prepared game for the others.

The Pre-written adventure killed the entire party, after about three quarters of the scenario.
It turns out it had been written for 4th level characters, and not as an introductory module (which tend to go easy on the first time players).
The newbies had 1st level characters and no prior experience in the rules, or in playing as a team.

My point is, that if a group of first time players, all fresh young kids (rather than cynical old wargamers or the like), can make it 75% through an adventure that ought to slaughter them outright, then a half-strength party might cope with an adventure without modification.

Of course, you can always change things if it looks too hard for them - or at least give them the chance to run away and get help.