PDA

View Full Version : GitPers Unite!: Let's Play Left 4 Dead: Mod Mode

Dread Cthulhu
2010-01-10, 02:02 PM
So. I had an idea the other day that it would be cool to do a group run thing where we play through some of the many L4D custom campaigns out there. Because L4D is getting neglected and I can't imagine a Let's Play of the official campaigns bringing much to the table.

So I had a look through and decided on a few of the biggest and most popular custom campaigns to look through. So I'm now on the lookout for people.

Here's the deal. It's a sucky group thing if it consists of the same 4 people playing while everyone else watches. So I'm tempted to lean towards more of the "different people every episode" idea.

So. Meat of the thing, the campaigns. So far, I've only selected campaigns. If you have any to suggest, go ahead. If there's lots and lots of demand (which I'm not expecting, but still), I might bring in some single maps as well.

Following is a list of all the mods and a bit of info so you can find out if you're interested or not.

Powerstation

This is to L4D what Kaizo World is to Super Mario World. Very, very difficult, in a hilarious deaths kind of way. If you hate those sort of trial and error games like I Wanna Be the Guy, give this one a miss.

Dead Before Dawn

The biggest mod out there now for sure, a remake of the mall featured in Dawn of the Dead. General response seems to have been “eh, not worth the wait”, so might be fun as a critique.

Death Abroad

One of the most popular pure campaign mods, nothing particularly special added. Noted as one of the best though.

Suicide Blitz

Another very highly regarded campaign mod, described by some as being Valve-standard.

Reverse No Mercy

Exactly what it says on the tin – start off on the rooftop of Mercy Hospital and fight your way back through the level to catch a helicopter from the apartment roof. With a few surprises thrown in along the way.

City 17

Fight through an abandoned City 17 to the train station. One of the newest releases.

Left 4 Cake

Portal style puzzles, only with zombies. And explosives. We’d need a suitably immature group to go with this.

Silent Hill

A flat out remake of the beginning of Silent Hill 1, complete with all the puzzles. Having some knowledge of said game would probably be beneficial, but if not then I’m fairly confident I could lead you through it.

Coal'd Blood

This one is to L4D what MINERVA is to Half-Life 2. A very well designed mod with more of a focus on verticality than the original. Starts off in a B&B and takes you through an abandoned coal mine.

Vienna Calling

Marathon length campaign set in Austria. Featuring a lot of interesting set pieces.

Want in? Just post which campaigns you'd like to try out. I'll then try to do some shuffling around so everyone gets a turn. Oh, and put them in bold so I can find them easily. :smalltongue: Then once all the groups are sorted, we can figure out times and dates.

Right, I'll start off then.

The Dread Cthulhu
Powerstation
Dead Before Dawn
Death Abroad
Left 4 Cake
Silent Hill
Coal'd Blood

Alleine
2010-01-10, 02:13 PM
oooh, oooh! I want in! Though I don't really know which one I want to do. I've played Death Abroad and Coal'd Blood before. So I could be useful in those I guess.

AlterForm
2010-01-10, 02:47 PM
I'm in for any of the maps. I've played Left 4 Cake and Reverse No Mercy before, though, so I should probably not be a priority player on those.

And a thought: For final compilation, take the demo that everyone recorded, render it, and splice all four into a 4-panel visual with a single audio track.

chiasaur11
2010-01-10, 03:00 PM
Minerva-y?

So, minimal loading and big maps?

Or mysterious computer ladies giving orders?

Phase
2010-01-10, 03:05 PM
I am the master of Powerstation. I have the maps and such embedded in my heart. If it is possible, nothing would fill me with greater glee than encountering my lord and master, Powerstation, on its own terms yet again.

onasuma
2010-01-10, 03:09 PM
Already said I was in in the other thread. But in again I guess.

potatocubed
2010-01-10, 03:23 PM
Sure, why not? I'm especially interested in Vienna Calling and not at all interested in Powerstation or Left 4 Cake.

I'm also away from my gaming computer for... at least a few days. Stupid power cuts. :smallannoyed:

Dispozition
2010-01-10, 03:54 PM
I'm in, obviously. Reverse No Mercy, Vienna Calling, and Powerstation look like the best. I can suitably immature for L4C though.

Dread Cthulhu
2010-01-10, 04:14 PM
Minerva-y?

So, minimal loading and big maps?

Or mysterious computer ladies giving orders?

I kind of just meant the "verticality" bit. :3

chiasaur11
2010-01-10, 04:32 PM
I kind of just meant the "verticality" bit. :3

Ah.

Well, verticality didn't ever seem Minerva's biggest trait to me. I mean, it was there, but only as a consequence of packing as much as possible into the maps. Man. Those maps are packed. Seriously, once I get a new anti-virus and seven, we all need to play some G-Mod there or something.

Of course, co-oping would work too.

onasuma
2010-01-10, 05:21 PM
Ok, long convo with Dread Cthulhu/YoSaff.

Basically, we think this is how its going to go:

We'll be having 2 or 3 regulars in each game - these people will provide our loyal followers with a sense of continuity across each video. We will then have guest or guests to increase the number up to 4 in order to vary everyone involved. Everyone can get in at some point so no one should be left out and we're going to try to make it so everyone can get in for the campaigns they want the most.

Dispozition
2010-01-10, 06:43 PM
While I'd love to be a regular, I doubt I'll be able to because of that thing called timezone. Hopefully I can get in on one or two games though...Probably the shorter maps due to crazy time zones...Goddamn none of you being in Australia!

potatocubed
2010-01-10, 06:49 PM
I'm definitely not a regular. I just don't have the attention spa

AlterForm
2010-01-10, 07:49 PM
I'm definitely not a regular. I just don't have the attention spa

That's strange. You didn't say "Candlejack" but you still dis

Fawkes
2010-01-10, 08:44 PM
I'm game, for any of them. I've only played three of the before. I love Death Aboard and RNM, and hated Powerstation (but I'm willing to play it, provided I get to be abrasive and swear).

Tavar
2010-01-10, 09:50 PM
Is this L4D one or two?

Dispozition
2010-01-10, 10:16 PM
Is this L4D one or two?

Original flavour.

Tavar
2010-01-10, 10:21 PM
Well, I've been considering getting the game for some time, so if you don't mind a relative newbie joining in I'll throw my hat in the ring as a player.

Dread Cthulhu
2010-01-11, 08:00 AM
What Onasuma said. If we have three regulars then that makes life more complicated for everything, so I'd say two for sure. Chances are that'll be Onasuma, but if anyone else really really wants to be regular then we might have to have gladiatoral combat or something.

Secondly, I went through people's preferences and put them all into a handy spreadsheet. Here's what I come up with.

http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq11/TheDreadCthulhu/LP-1.jpg

Working on the assumption that Onasuma and I are regulars. Y and N are self-explanatory, ? means they didn't mention it one way or the other.

I've seen worse possibilites. Pity about Phase, though. :P

Waiting around for a few more people to check in before I finalise. There's a few key figures who haven't appeared yet.

Dispozition
2010-01-11, 08:12 AM
Well, I can yes for all, it's just the time zones I'm worried about :P

That's a very snazzy table you have going though. Looks all good to me.

Bayar
2010-01-11, 08:16 AM
I already said In on the other thread, so I'll say in here too.

And can I be a regular please ? I have a really good internet connection, and love to play games (to the point that I get withdrawal symptoms if I dont acces the computer every other day...).

:biggrin:

onasuma
2010-01-11, 10:35 AM
I think theres a few options here, Ill see what you guys think:

1. 2 regulars - myself and Yosaff. This way more people can get in more often overall and people can sit out games they dont want in.

2. 3 regulars - myself and yosaff and then 1 more person chosen based on who wants it.

3. 3 regulars - decided by auditions in the form of being amusing for 60 seconds and seeing whos going to be best for this video format.

4. 8 man vs matches occasionally?

Penguinizer
2010-01-11, 12:56 PM
If we're (as I understood it) talking about the original L4D, count me in. My steam name is Penguinizer, and you can find me in the GiantITP steam group. The only problem is my timezone (GMT+2), but I should be able to play any time before 12 pm on most days, 10 pm on Fridays/Saturdays/Sundays.

Phase
2010-01-11, 08:01 PM
I've seen worse possibilites. Pity about Phase, though. :P

I'm in for whatever you throw at me, but I love Powerstation.

Dispozition
2010-01-11, 08:06 PM
I'm in for whatever you throw at me, but I love Powerstation.

I hope you're good at it, since I'm average at L4D and haven't played it in...a while :P

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-01-11, 08:19 PM
Man...you people and your repeated attempts to get me to purchase L4D1...

This one is tempting. Very tempting...

Phase
2010-01-11, 09:23 PM
I hope you're good at it, since I'm average at L4D and haven't played it in...a while :P

"Good" at Powerstation?

Heh. Hehahaha. BWAHAHHAHAHAHA.

My good man, you can't be GOOD at Powerstation. At best you can be wary, at worst, Powerstation will literally rape you.

chiasaur11
2010-01-11, 09:36 PM
"Good" at Powerstation?

Heh. Hehahaha. BWAHAHHAHAHAHA.

My good man, you can't be GOOD at Powerstation. At best you can be wary, at worst, Powerstation will literally rape you.

So, it's like being "good" at Terror From The Deep or I Want To Be The Guy.

Nasty.

Tavar
2010-01-11, 09:47 PM
I think it might just be a good idea to remove my name from the running in regards to Power Station...

Phase
2010-01-11, 10:03 PM
Is your team doing well? Horde. Is it doing poorly? Horde. Have you just triggered a trap-card, killing two of your numbers? Horde and Tank. And a spike to the throat. YESSSS.

Penguinizer
2010-01-12, 02:08 AM
Don't forget the invisible laser that spawns boomers, or the glitchy rocks, or the floor sheanigans.

Faulty
2010-01-13, 02:13 PM
I will do anything but Powerstation.

Gamerlord
2010-01-13, 02:15 PM
So you're basically are doing a lets play,with the rest of the community, that is nothing but user-made levels?

Sound nice.

This forum and its attempts to get me to give up and just buy the darn thing already...

I will observe this lets play with earnest.

Dread Cthulhu
2010-01-14, 03:55 PM
Nobody else up for it? Good good. I'll have proper rosters up within the next couple of days.

Tavar
2010-01-14, 04:18 PM
Well, I got the game. And so far it's fun. Wish I had gotten it earlier. The only thing I'd like would be a bit more multiplayer experience.

Northforce
2010-01-16, 04:26 AM
Hey wait! I would like to be considered for any and all of these maps!

Wait hold on- ANY and ALL of these maps I would love to play. I have only played a bit of Powerstation and I have played Death Aboard (Abroad? The wrecked ship one) all the way through. Suffice to say I think I would present an entertaining Louis.

So yeah, I'd love to play more L4D1; It's just not the same in 2, ya know?

Dread Cthulhu
2010-01-16, 01:33 PM
We're done, ladies and gents!

For starters, there are three regulars. Myself, Onasuma and Bayar. And as for the invididual mods, sure is good that there are 10 mods and 10 volunteers.

Powerstation: Phase
Dead Before Dawn: Tavar
Death Abroad: Alleine
Suicide Blitz: Alter
Reverse No Mercy: Dispozition
City 17: Northforce
Left 4 Cake: Fawkes
Silent Hill: Faulty
Coal'd Blood: Penguinizer
Vienna Calling: Potato

I have no qualms as for what order we actually DO these in, so sort things out regarding when you're free. Some campaigns will last longer than others, bear in mind.

potatocubed
2010-01-16, 02:01 PM
I believe you said Vienna Calling was something of a marathon? In which case a weekend is probably best, or maybe a Friday night. Timing shouldn't be much of a problem since I'm on GMT.

Northforce
2010-01-16, 03:18 PM
Fun! This should be interesting. I eagerly await the schedule posting!

Penguinizer
2010-01-17, 06:08 AM
As a brief warning. I am on the GMT+2 timezone, so I hope that doesn't throw a wrench in the plans :smallfrown:

Dispozition
2010-01-17, 06:35 AM
As a brief warning. I am on the GMT+2 timezone, so I hope that doesn't throw a wrench in the plans :smallfrown:

My friend, I'm GMT+10...I pose far more problems than you :P

Penguinizer
2010-01-19, 01:48 PM
Hmm. It depends on what works for everyone else. But 11 am CST or 12pm CST on the weekends should work for me. I'll make sure to hang out in the GiantITP group chat at those times in case you guys are ready.

Bayar
2010-01-20, 06:30 AM
Friday and Saturday sounds good to me. I'm also +2 GMT, but since I dont have anything else to do, I can play up until about 11 PM GMT on those days.

AlterForm
2010-01-20, 10:07 AM
I'm at GMT -7, and my free days are primarily the weekends (especially Saturday), although Friday evening could be swung as well.

Northforce
2010-01-23, 12:17 PM
Harmonious Imperative Bumping Style!

Let's get some coordination going on this, compatriots. I, for one, will be available all of today. However, I have yet to do any recording on my computer, so I would need a crash course before we start. No pun intended.

Plus, If you caught me for it today, you would have the bonus coloration of me exploring zombie-infested City 17 without having slept in over 24 hours.

Penguinizer
2010-01-23, 02:15 PM
I, for one, should also be open for most of tomorrow (Sunday) assuming tomorrow starts at noon. I'll probably have steam on, so if we happen to have the relevant people on we could try to get an episode done.

Tavar
2010-01-23, 03:11 PM
Hmm...new problem for me. I'm having trouble getting the Dead before Dawn module. Anyone have a good link to it?

Northforce
2010-01-23, 05:39 PM
Found it, I think: http://www.moddb.com/mods/dead-before-dawn/downloads

Dread Cthulhu
2010-01-23, 06:26 PM
Sorry, other things happened.

Yes, this needs organising. I might just ask around when Onasuma, Bayar and I are online and see how else is available.

Bayar
2010-01-23, 06:36 PM
Well, dunno if I can tomorrow...

Tavar
2010-01-30, 01:56 PM
So...is there any movement on running any of the games?

Dread Cthulhu
2010-02-07, 06:21 AM
Guys, guys.

Let's get this GOING. Anyone who's available today, say something.

Bayar, are you alright for today?

onasuma
2010-02-07, 06:37 AM
Something something something dark side, something something something complete

potatocubed
2010-02-07, 08:57 AM
Give me an hour and a half, then something.

Northforce
2010-02-14, 12:13 AM
I would hate to see this endeavor wither and die. Last time you put out the clarion call I was unable to attend. Maybe another Mod Mode Rally needs to be had?

Phase
2010-02-14, 12:21 AM
I'm ready all day for this week, aside from tuesday and maybe wednesday.

onasuma
2010-02-14, 07:53 AM
Well, all 3 regulars are online in steam now. Some of you get in there and its a party.

Bayar
2010-02-14, 08:29 AM
Uhh, sorry, I only entered on Steam now to check out something...I can do it in about 4 hours later though...

onasuma
2010-02-14, 10:14 AM
Alrighty then, whos free to do our first map in one hour?

Phase
2010-02-14, 11:02 AM
I'm free right now, or maybe, like, ten minutes.

Bayar
2010-02-14, 11:17 AM
Sorry guys, but wont be able to make it. Grandpa wants to eat pizza in town...

onasuma
2010-02-14, 11:21 AM
Ok, no problem.

Hope you don't mind missing vienna calling though.

onasuma
2010-02-14, 12:33 PM
So, yosaff took my medkit. Naturally, I went to kill him to retrieve the artifact. I got banned for friendly fire. This first map was fun.

Dread Cthulhu
2010-02-14, 01:17 PM
Indeed. Also notable was the map consisting of like a billion trains, David Tennant suddenly appearing, a note thanking the community, the tractor and one of our LPers being banned for most of the match.

Dread Cthulhu
2010-02-17, 11:10 AM
Just got through Reverse No Mercy, feat: Dispozition. It's still fun.

Dispozition
2010-02-17, 08:36 PM
Even with 600 ping :D