PDA

View Full Version : Let's Play Master of Magic

Copper8642
2010-01-10, 03:36 PM
I'm never going to start if I don't get around to starting, so I'll start!

Let's Play Master of Magic!

Or let's try anyways.

First things first. Master of Magic is an amazing, one-of-a-kind 4X game. Between multiple races, spell types, 2 parallel worlds and more, there's nothing else like it. I was 2 years old when it was first released, so I can't say first hand how awesome it was back in the day, but I can say how awesome it is right now. In fact, I'd like to share that with you all. Actual explanation of the game with come later. So, without further babbling:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Copper8642/Master%20of%20Magic/magic_000.png

Yeah, I know, it's kinda small. Which brings me to my first problem. The screen shots are either small, or bad quality. I can't seem to find a medium. Maybe using something other than DosBox's screen shot taker would be a fix? I don't know, do any of you?

Some examples:
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Copper8642/Master%20of%20Magic/magic_002_2.pnghttp://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Copper8642/Master%20of%20Magic/magic_002.png
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Copper8642/Master%20of%20Magic/magic_001_2.pnghttp://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Copper8642/Master%20of%20Magic/magic_001.png

So, if people have a fix, or if not, a preference, I'm all ears... or eyes.... yeah, eyes.

Now, back to the game. I'll try to add screenshots of these screens once I can get better screens. OK, for starters, you choose difficulty, landmass size, # of opponents, and the amount of mana that magic nodes give. I leave the latter 3 at their defaults (that's 4 opponents, the max number), but for difficulty I'm not sure what I want. I always play on medium, but I admit it's no great difficulty, and supposedly the top difficulty is the closest thing to a challenge. However, I don't want to fail my LP. Kinda anti-climactic.

Next up, wizard choice. There are 14 pre-determined wizards, but we'll be going with a custom wizard. Choose a portrait, choose a name, and then the real decisions begin. Each player has 11 wizard points to spend, and here are the choices:
The Five Schools Of Magic:
The more points you put into a school, the more spells you will have in it, and at higher numbers, the spells also become cheaper for you to cast.

Life: A school of healing and protection. Also has spells to jump between the planes, spells that hurt creatures of Death and Chaos, and some other typical good-like spells. Other wizards also inherently like you more (normally you get a bonus for each spell pick you have in common, but life is always a bonus)

Death: The opposite of Life, and as such, no wizard can have picks in both Life and Death. Raising dead, cursing people, draining their life and mana, corrupting people and land. All fun, but other wizards also dislike you more for it, even other Death wizards.

Chaos: Spells about fire, lightning, and change. Fireballs, hellhounds, and other flashy damage stuff is all here. Also, as stated, has spells that change things, either weakening enemies, warping allies, or destroying an archer's ammunition.

Nature: Growth, fertility, bears. Has some good creatures, and can really help your cities and your early scouting (Earth Lore can reveal screens worth of territory at a time). Also many buffs for your troops and ways to mess with enemies.

Sorcery: Wind and meta-magic. These spells mess with other people's spells, as well as control wind, phantom troops, and stuff like flight and invisibility.

Other Picks:Alchemy: Costs 1 Pick, units always have magic weapons (bonus to hit), and you can transmute gold to mana and mana to gold at a 1:1 ratio, instead of 1:2.

Warlord: Costs 2 Picks, units start 1 level of experience higher, and can reach one higher max level.

Channeler: Costs 2 Picks, spells cast during combat always only cost their base amount (normally, the farther you are from your capital, the more mana you must spend). Also, only pays half of spell maintenance for permanent enchantments.

Archmage: Costs 1 Pick, requires 4 Picks in any 1 school, gives 10 bonus skill to wizard (how much mana can be channeled into spells per turn), makes his spells harder to dispel, skill rises faster.

Artificer: Costs 1 Pick, can make magic items from the start of the game, and does so for half mana.

Conjurer: Costs 1 Pick, 25% decrease to casting, research, and maintenance of summoning spells.

Sage Master: Costs 1 Pick, requires 1 pick in any 2 schools, research of all magic is 25% faster.

Myrran: Costs 3 Picks, starts on the world of Myrror, as opposed to Arcanus. That means 5 extra mana per turn, generally a safer start (enemies on the other plane), and 1 of 5 special races to choose from that aren't found on Arcanus. The creatures in caves and magic nodes are a bit scarier though.

Divine/Infernal Power: Costs 2 Picks, requires 4 picks in Life/Death Magic, increases mana gained and unrest reduced by shrines, temples, etc. by 50%. By and large, not worth it at all.

Famous: Costs 2 Picks, 10 starting Fame (normally gained by wining large battles, a certain Sorcery Spell, or having Legendary heroes, it causes more heroes and mercenaries to offer their services, and more magic items to be offered to sell to you. Also, each point reduces the gold upkeep of your army by 1). Also, doubles chance of heroes, mercenaries, and magic items.

Runemaster: Costs 1 Pick, requires 2 picks in any 3 schools, 25% faster researching and cheaper casting of Arcane spells, the generic spells available to everybody (Dispelling, moving your summoning circle, spying on cities, etc.).

Charismatic: Costs 1 Pick, makes heroes, mercenaries, and magic items half priced, and causes good diplomatic actions to have double the effect, and bad actions half the effect.

Chaos/Nature/Sorcery Mastery: Costs 1 Pick, requires 4 picks in associated school, 15% research bonus, 15% reduced casting cost, spells twice as hard to dispel, and doubles magic from associated nodes (all previous bonuses also only apply to associated school).

Mana Focusing: Costs 1 Pick, requires 1 Pick in any 1 school, makes increases mana you generate by 25%.

Node Mastery: Costs 1 Pick, requires 2 picks in Sorcery, Nature, and Chaos, doubles magic gained from all nodes, and spells are immune to dispelling effect of nodes (when fighting at a node, spells from schools that aren't of the same school as the node are very often dispelled).

Then, one must choose a race (I swear, this is the last overloaded spoiler tag).

Races:Barbarians:Populations grow faster than any other race, most troops have throwing weapons, giving them a decent first strike before other blows are dealt. Only missing a few high end building. Berserkers are nice.

Gnolls: Grow a little slowly, all units have extra attack, but cities can't build many buildings.

Halflings: Farmers grow more than others, units have less attack but more defense and resistance, are "Lucky" (small bonus to attack, defense, resistance, etc.), and some units come in units of 8 (default is 6). Also only missing some high end buildings. Also, they generate the least unrest in conquered races (or when they themselves are conquered).

High Elf: Generates 1/2 Power per population (power is what goes into mana generation, research, or skill building), grow quite slowly, units move through forests easily, have higher resistance, and have small bonuses to hit. Generate higher than average unrest in conquered people.

High Men: All around, their units have no bonuses, they can build almost everything, and have good unique units. Also note, that their units are base price (most other armies whose units have bonuses are also more expensive).

Klackon (think bug people): Units have bonus defense, and a good unique unit, but lack many building options, and grow a little slowly. Workers produce extra Also, klackons ruled by klackons have an unrest decrease, but very disagreeable as conquerers or as the conquered.

Lizardman: Units have extra defense, resistance, and health (given units have multiple men per unit, this means an extra hit on every guy. Not huge, but definitely good), and are amphibious. Unfortunately, they are probably the most gimped in building options in their cities. Population grows slower than barbarians, but faster than everyone else.

Nomads: The final human side, they grow a tad slowly, but get some extra gold, and have most building options open to them. Rangers are good.

Orcs: The most average of the average. Can build everything, excel at nothing.

The following races can only be found on Myrror:
Beastmen: Produce 1/2 power per population, have extra attack, small resistance bonus, and health in units.

Dark Elves: 1 Power per population, units have extra magic resistance, and basic units have inherent ranged magic attack. Also produce massive unrest in conquered races.

Draconians: Units fly, breathe fire (same as barbarian thrown weapons), and have extra defense and resistance. Produce 1/2 power per population.

Dwarves: Workers produce more, cities produce more gold, units have bonus health (more than beastmen and lizardmen) and resistance, engineers build roads faster (roads allow faster movement), and bonuses from special ores in hills near cities are doubled. Good unique units. Produce a good amount of unrest in conquered people.

Trolls: Units come in groups of 4, but are strong, have high resistance, have most health of any race, and regenerate during battle (also, fully heal after battle, and dead units come back as long as their side won). Produce more unrest in conquered people than usual.

Finally, pick between red, purple, blue, yellow, and green as your national color, and away we go.

So, interest, screen shot advice, suggested wizards and races? EDIT: It's begun!

Copper, the Myrran wizard with 4 picks in both Chaos and Death, is leading the Dark Elves in their schemes. Even though he'd rather not. It's to be updated every other day, if all goes well.

chiasaur11
2010-01-10, 03:47 PM
I think the bigger pictures work a tiny bit better here.

As for the wizard?

As "Cowardice" isn't an available trait, I figure we should go with either Mustrum Ridcully or Ponder Stibbons instead of Rhincewind. Of course, the ability picks will take a minute, and the lack of Octarine makes color choice arbitrary, (Red sounds good.) but race should probably be high men.

So, yeah. Put some points in life at least.

Matar
2010-01-10, 03:52 PM
My vote?

Chaos, Channeler, and as for race... Klackon. Because bugs are always awesome.

Trixie
2010-01-10, 04:03 PM
640x480 is fine.

Wizard - Myrran/Warlord/Alchemy (that way, you can not bother with generating mana at all, freely transmuting gold, and putting all into magic research and skill rises).

If you want to go for Heroes, take Artificer/Charismatic. Million to one chance and all that, especially given the might of ranged Champions :smalltongue:

You can find books later, in ruins, so it pays to have a few free slots.

Race - Dark Elves (Warlocks?) or Trolls.

Hmm, if you go "Discworld" route, go for Trolls :smalltongue:

Spells - full Sorcery, Phantom Warriors are very useful in the beginning.

Or Chaos, legions of Hell are also worth it. The rest, not so much.

Color - Red! :smallyuk:

Cespenar
2010-01-10, 04:06 PM
I'd go Life magic, Dwarves, Alchemist and Myrran, since not only their production rate is great, but their far-end unit (the Hammerhands) is four kinds of awesome.

Plus, it's dwarves. Everyone likes dwarves.

Copper8642
2010-01-10, 04:11 PM
In a perfect world, I would have read some of the Discworld novels, if not all of them. Also, taking 6 points worth of special bonuses leave 5 for magic, which isn't very much.

Trixie
2010-01-10, 06:40 PM
It isn't very much, granted, but Sorcery books are easiest to find (granted, some may have tough defenders). Now that I think about it, these special bonuses were picked to complement Troll/DE special bonuses (Super-elite units of these races simply rule, and they have easier start, too). With other races (seriously, dwarves?), they might hinder you, unless you go for Non-Myrran Warlord fielding Paladins (Higm Men unit). Start on Arcanus is much tougher, though.

Plus, this is a game where all sorts of heroes and units can cast a spells for you. In fact, you can win easily even if you never cast a spell (but Summon Champion is a must). You can have a good game with 10 of 11 picks given to traits :smalltongue:

But honestly, pick a race corresponding to style of play you like, and go for it.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-01-10, 07:43 PM
I'd say go for Elf, Earth, and with magicaly-armed heroes... so Alchemists and Charismatic?

I never played the game, but I like the idea.

Copper8642
2010-01-10, 07:45 PM
I once went Death and High Men just to have Death Knights march with Paladins. Good times.

But yeah, the current consensus definitely appears to be a Myrran wizard.

Note that I would like to have a number of spell books, and 2 bonuses tops (3 if cheap).

Course, gotta give more time for possible suggestions before I pick anything.

Cespenar
2010-01-10, 07:51 PM
Hmm, I wish I could remember if you can raise Paladins.

Note to non-players, the unit name gets "Death" in front of it, if you raise it with necromancy.

Johnny Blade
2010-01-10, 08:05 PM
Voting for Dark Elves or Trolls as well.

Oh, and 640x400 is fine. It would perhaps be better if you could resize them to something a little smaller for readability, but it works the way it is.

JeminiZero
2010-01-10, 08:25 PM
You forgot to mention Beastmen, the Myrror equivalent to Highmen (sort of). Full building tree, no growth penalty, decent high end units and produce 0.5 mana per pop (I think).

Apparently, the number of computer opponents starting on Myrror depends heavily on the difficulty setting. At some point there is at least 1, and up to 2 or 3 I think.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-01-10, 09:02 PM
Hum.. just started a game for the first time. I decided to go in a Dwarven mindset, so I took:

- Merlin Face
- Alchemy
- Warlord
- Myrran
- Charismatic
- Artificer

and 3 Life magic ticks. I decided that since I am not at ease with magic for now, but I know my civilization game mentality well, I'll be roleplaying my strenghts :smallbiggrin:

MickJay
2010-01-10, 09:11 PM
Unique units do not get "death" in front of them, even when they're raised, it works only on generic "swordsmen" and such, iirc.

Dwarves get double resource and gold production, making them perfect for exploiting Myrran's abundant resources; hammerhands, one of the most powerful units in the game, can be deployed very quickly, long before Warlocks, and they can utilise mithril/adamantine weapons and armor (unlike war trolls). A few books of life and nature magic will give a good chance at further boosts to growth, productivity and units' power, while the quickly conquered dark elf cities will provide support units and extra power in places where there are fewer minerals.

Myrran, alchemist, (warlord), 3/4 life and 2/3 nature books; alternatively, myrran, alchemist/1 life, node mastery, 2 nature, 2 chaos, 2 sorcery. The second choice allows for a boost in node power production, wider choice in the trading in spells and general flexibility at the cost of either alchemy or life spells (life/death books are relatively rare compared to elemental magic books).

Somewhere out there is the runemaster/artificer/archmage/(alchemist) combo, which allows to make very cheap and versatile artifacts and to profit from making artifacts and then crystallising them, but it necessitates starting the game on Arcanus (in which case High Elves, Halflings or Humans, possibly Nomads, would be good).

Cespenar
2010-01-11, 05:35 AM
Ah, yes, you're correct. I gave it a little experiment, and first, it's the Black Channels spell, not raising dead, and second, units are a little mismatched as in who gets Death and who doesn't.

So, Death Galley is okay, but Death Paladins isn't. Oh well.

Eldariel
2010-01-11, 05:56 AM
I vote for Sorcery/Chaos mix...though maybe toss enough nature in to pick up Node Mastery. I've frankly never tried a Node-focused character in the game. Node Mastery + Channeler? Though I sorta wanna vote for pure Red...err Chaos, and Call the Void endgame. So. Much. Fun.

And I vote for High Elves either way. Mana generating race makes for so much more fun with spells, while Myrrans just cost a wee much. I say, focus on making yourself an awesome caster and either Chaos or Chaos/Sorcery.

EDIT: Just started a new game on Dosbox and noticed I can't play it worth a crap anymore. Don't remember unit powers, don't remember build orders, make poor attacks, summon stuff too slowly, etc. Literally, I'm losing to computers on Impossible.

And I just remembered that Nodes tend to have some pretty powerful guardians. If you can find a Stone Giant/Djinni-level guard tho, it's quite takeable and Node Mastery makes it a gamebuster (and makes taking one possible, what with the ability to actually cast magic in there).

Irbis
2010-01-11, 06:11 AM
Though I sorta wanna vote for pure Red...err Chaos, and Call the Void endgame. So. Much. Fun.

Armageddon is more fun :smalltongue:

Huh, so many MoM players here.

I second Sorcery or Chaos, Red, Warlord, focus on heroes (Champions, actually, regular heroes except for nobles are generally weak in the endgame) - (artificer/famous/charismatic/just cause).

Wait, why there is no "Just Cause" on your list of picks?

LiteYear
2010-01-11, 06:30 AM
IIRC, Just Cause isn't a pick. It's a Life Spell that increases your fame.

Also, to the TC, do you have a different version? There's a couple of differences between your descriptions and what I'm used to (i.e. Node Mastery only needed 1 book in Sorcery/Chaos/Nature from what I remember).

Irbis
2010-01-11, 06:44 AM
Ah, right. Never mind, then :smallredface:

Mr White
2010-01-11, 06:46 AM
Go for trolls, they sound like fun. Go for Chaos/Death to get a good evil overlord theme going.

Eldariel
2010-01-11, 07:08 AM
Huh, so many MoM players here.

Well, given the theme of the forum and the game, I'm not exactly surprised. MoM is after all like Civilization in D&D.

And I personally prefer Call the Void just 'cause it leaves the land basically uninhabitable for the rest of the game, with all the Corruption it crams the squares full of. "Not gonna lay a finger on you; your armies will vanish and your cities will never produce anything again tho!"

I once played a game with stock Tauros and got Call the Void (first time I saw the spell) and specifically left an AI alive so I could mercilessly bombard his cities with it :P

Irbis
2010-01-11, 07:22 AM
And I personally prefer Call the Void just 'cause it leaves the land basically uninhabitable for the rest of the game, with all the Corruption it crams the squares full of. "Not gonna lay a finger on you; your armies will vanish and your cities will never produce anything again tho!"

But... most of the cities survive it. Armageddon more fits your description - randomly destroys the land, converting it into power for you :smalltongue:

Johnny Blade
2010-01-11, 07:39 AM
Well, given the theme of the forum and the game, I'm not exactly surprised. MoM is after all like Civilization in D&D.
Well, I don't actually remember much of the game. I don't think I really played it that much, either. I do remember fun times with warlocks and surprisingly successful warmongering halflings, though.

dsmiles
2010-01-11, 08:26 AM
640x480 is fine.

Wizard - Myrran/Warlord/Alchemy (that way, you can not bother with generating mana at all, freely transmuting gold, and putting all into magic research and skill rises).

If you want to go for Heroes, take Artificer/Charismatic. Million to one chance and all that, especially given the might of ranged Champions :smalltongue:

You can find books later, in ruins, so it pays to have a few free slots.

Race - Dark Elves (Warlocks?) or Trolls.

Hmm, if you go "Discworld" route, go for Trolls :smalltongue:

Spells - full Sorcery, Phantom Warriors are very useful in the beginning.

Or Chaos, legions of Hell are also worth it. The rest, not so much.

Color - Red! :smallyuk:

This...trolls +1 Fast population growth and lots of HP

SolkaTruesilver
2010-01-11, 09:06 AM
Hum...

Do units gets experience points just by travelling on the map?

Also, I forgot to invest in skill :smalleek: do you think my Dwarfy game is crippled yet? I got almost all put into research...

Also, my only hero (a healer) helped attack a ghoul stronghold. At the beginning, she cast True Light on the battlefield, but afterwhile, she was denied her usual ranged magical attack. Does this attack requires casting points? Or maybe ghouls are immuned to magical attacks?

My 2 elite swordwarves, with magical swords, with Holy Armor, pwned those stupid ghouls..

Hmm.. btw. With only 3 picks in White Magic, is there a limit on the spells I will be allowed to cast eventually?

MickJay
2010-01-11, 09:31 AM
All units get 1 experience point per turn (more if they're in a square with a hero who has Armsmaster ability).

Magic ranged attacks of heroes use up 3 of their mana points per shot.

The number of book picks limits the number of spells you'll be able to research (those that you can research are selected at random at the beginning of the game). Any book in the same school of magic above 7 gives you a bonus to research and cheapens the casting cost, 10 books guarantee that you'll be able to research all of the spells, 11 picks give you some spells for free from the beginning.

Also, my bad, node mastery requires only 1 pick in each elemental school.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-01-11, 09:42 AM
Interesting stuff

That was both straightforward and helpful! thanks!

So I am effectively screwed, spellwise, regarding my spells? :smallfrown:

Oh well, I'll be a badass Warlord then! :smallbiggrin:

MickJay
2010-01-11, 10:09 AM
You can always get more spells by trading them with other wizards, or by finding them in ruins (or by finding additional books in nodes or temples). The spells you find are - to a degree - random, so you might want to save before battles if you think you might be able to get a spell you really need and reload until you're satisfied (with overwhelming forces, you can set battles to autoresolve so you don't have to resolve the battle yourself over and over).

Trixie
2010-01-11, 10:17 AM
All units get 1 experience point per turn (more if they're in a square with a hero who has Armsmaster ability).

Two if Warlord, I think.

Magic ranged attacks of heroes use up 3 of their mana points per shot.

Not in all cases IIRC, but generaly if you pay attention to their mana you can easily see it.

dsmiles
2010-01-11, 10:28 AM
Also, casters only get a certain number of shots, just like archers/bowmen.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-01-11, 10:39 AM
Also, casters only get a certain number of shots, just like archers/bowmen.

Per battle, or for the game, or until they go back to town?

'cause it was during a new battle.. I was wondering..

Trixie
2010-01-11, 10:46 AM
Per battle.

MickJay
2010-01-11, 10:51 AM
Casting units get 4 shots, heroes are limited only by their mana pool.

Warlord makes all units gain an "advance" one step earlier (at 0XP they're regulars rather than recruits, they become veterans at 20 rather than 60, etC).

SolkaTruesilver
2010-01-11, 11:05 AM
Casting units get 4 shots, heroes are limited only by their mana pool.

Warlord makes all units gain an "advance" one step earlier (at 0XP they're regulars rather than recruits, they become veterans at 20 rather than 60, etC).

And their units are allowed to become ultra elite.

Which is why my Dwarven swordwarves defeated the barbarian city of.. dwarven swordwarves while being outnumbered 2 to 1 :smallbiggrin:

That, and magical weapons. Alchemists ftw!

dsmiles
2010-01-11, 11:11 AM
Shouldn't it be "swordsdwarves"? Or is that just too much of a mouthful?

SolkaTruesilver
2010-01-11, 11:20 AM
Shouldn't it be "swordsdwarves"? Or is that just too much of a mouthful?

I asked myself the same question, and I decided to integrate the two ds together...

But that's be getting into weird grammar problem. Why axeman/men and not axesman/men? Why swordsman then?

I think I'll research halberds ASAP, and get rid of the problem... albeit saying poledwarves will be weird.

dsmiles
2010-01-11, 11:35 AM
I think I'll research halberds ASAP, and get rid of the problem... albeit saying poledwarves will be weird.

GAAAAAHHH!!!!!

MUST POKE OUT MIND'S EYE!!!!!!

CAN'T GET RID OF HORRIBLE IMAGES OF POLEDANCING DWARVEN STRIPPERS!!!!

:eek:

Trixie
2010-01-11, 11:42 AM
Let me guess - you haven't read Pratchett's "Thud!", eh? :smallamused:

dsmiles
2010-01-11, 11:48 AM
Let me guess - you haven't read Pratchett's "Thud!", eh? :smallamused:

Haven't read any Pratchett...not sure why...I seem to keep re-reading Jordan and Eddings again and again and again and again and again...

Premier
2010-01-11, 11:52 AM
Go with whatever combination you like, but I just want to point out:

Halfling slingers blessed by certain high-level Life spells and in the service of a Warlord wizard have the single highest damage output in the game. Jolly cheerful terrors of the battlefield who can't wait to get back to their larders.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-01-11, 11:52 AM
GAAAAAHHH!!!!!

MUST POKE OUT MIND'S EYE!!!!!!

CAN'T GET RID OF HORRIBLE IMAGES OF POLEDANCING DWARVEN STRIPPERS!!!!

:eek:

You obviously don't know the level of hawtness the dwaven female can become. Three word for you, my friend: Looking For Group

Edit: However, the thought of a male dwarven stripper club does crush all will to live... :smalleek:

dsmiles
2010-01-11, 11:58 AM
Edit: However, the thought of a male dwarven stripper club does crush all will to live... :smalleek:

Unfortunately, I just lost my lunch...:smallyuk:

Oslecamo
2010-01-11, 12:52 PM
Myrrian, channeling, dark elves, IMPOSSIBLE DIFICULTY!

Remaining picks for chaos magic books. Then go out there and torch someone with your army of riflemen dark elves spearmen!

Wich just happens to be what I'm playing.

dsmiles
2010-01-11, 01:14 PM
Personally, I play trolls if I'm Myrran. Getting units back in the middle of combat is great.

I usually play halflings or nomads if I'm non-Myrran. Halfling slingers are baaaaaaaad little dudes....

Trixie
2010-01-11, 02:40 PM
Halfling slingers blessed by certain high-level Life spells and in the service of a Warlord wizard have the single highest damage output in the game. Jolly cheerful terrors of the battlefield who can't wait to get back to their larders.

You mean... an army of Belkars? :smalleek:

You obviously don't know the level of hawtness the dwaven female can become. Three word for you, my friend: Looking For Group

Or the aforementioned Thud!. :smallamused:

It's a great read, but to fully get anything I'd recommend reading a few Watch novels from Discworld beforehand.

Personally, I play trolls if I'm Myrran. Getting units back in the middle of combat is great.

Yeah, but annihilating them before they even reach your lines (Dark Elves) feels even better :smallbiggrin:

If you have ranged units capable of shooting with move >1, you can play a rolling battle with your units constantly moving (albeit slowly) from the enemy and firing.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-01-11, 02:43 PM
You mean... an army of Belkars? :smalleek:

Or the aforementioned Thud!. :smallamused:

It's a great read, but to fully get anything I'd recommend reading a few Watch novels from Discworld beforehand.

If I ever read Discworld (which I will, I know. One day) I will read them in order of writting.

Hum... an army of Belkar.. I like the idea. But using Life Magic with them seems... out of place..

How about a Chaos mage backing Belkar up? :smallwink:

Trixie
2010-01-11, 03:07 PM
If I ever read Discworld (which I will, I know. One day) I will read them in order of writting.

Um, that would be wrong. Discworld may seem to be 35+ books long series, but really, it is 6-10 a few book long series. It is best to read most of these one after the other, as otherwise, you'll forget what happened in it before.

The bad info is, no matter what order (by writing/by series) you'll take, there will be some minor spoilers waiting for you.

I'd recommend starting with (less fantase-y) Watch or Lipwig series, or, if you like pure fantasy, starting with Witches or Death. Wizards or the History Monks are also fine, though.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-01-11, 03:16 PM
Um, that would be wrong. Discworld may seem to be 35+ books long series, but really, it is 6-10 a few book long series. It is best to read most of these one after the other, as otherwise, you'll forget what happened in it before.

The bad info is, no matter what order (by writing/by series) you'll take, there will be some minor spoilers waiting for you.

I'd recommend starting with (less fantase-y) Watch or Lipwig series, or, if you like pure fantasy, starting with Witches or Death. Wizards or the History Monks are also fine, though.

I don't mind having a broken up story, with intermixed storylines. After all, I like webcomics :smalltongue:

But that is a topic for another thread. Just answer me that question: Beside possible confusion about the storyline of protagonists, is there any reason I shouldn't be reading them in order or writting?

So, back to Master of Magic, and male poledwarves, adding some polish to their pole while pole dancing!

Hmmm... need more pole-hair...

After killing me, please write on my tombstone: I regret nothing!!!

Copper8642
2010-01-11, 06:36 PM
Thanks to some.... creative.... imagery, all votes for Dwarves are now out. I love Dwarves as a fantasy race, but.... there is no way I could use them now without a pole dancing reference, which is not what I wish to do. I don't have enough mind-bleach.

So the most votes are for Dark Elves or Trolls, with a mix of voting for Life, Chaos, and Sorcery, and some other bonuses.

I'll decide on a personality after it's all decided.

Also, I would like to have some forum participation, just as a note. More on that when it starts up, but... keepin' it lively and stuff, I'll need the help.

EDIT: Also, initial city name. That's another needed thing.

Oslecamo
2010-01-11, 07:22 PM
Warlord is one of the best picks available no matter what (specially because it makes DE spearmen shoot strenght 2 spells out of the bat), but alchemist is only really good if you're playing something that can't build alchemist's guild, like trolls.

As for spells, we can always go rainbow mage, and take a little from everything!

I sugest one green book for the godlike web spell if you choose to take that route.

As for 1st city name, it would also depend on the personality of the wizard we're building.

Or we could also name it CopperLand!

Cespenar
2010-01-11, 07:35 PM
Besides, how do you plan to finish the game? Is conquest more your style or do you prefer playing defense and try to research the Spell of Mastery, etc.

Copper8642
2010-01-11, 08:07 PM
I figured the city would go with the race, so name something that would go along with the race you voted for. That said, wizard's personality is also fun. Copperland would be funny.

I usually go for conquest, for the record, but if Mastery appears viable, I might do it. Between Dark Elves and Trolls, both seem to be conquest oriented, but Dark Elves are also Spell of Mastery oriented.

Oslecamo
2010-01-11, 08:32 PM
Since dark elve population produces mana, you would want to start cranking settlements as soon as possible, skyrocketing your mana production and making indeed a defensive game very viable.

Also, everybody hates dark elves, even tough none of your units dual wields scimitars so any cities you conquer with them will hate you with the fury of a thousand sons and rebel untill the ends of times. This makes expansion trough conquest much harder.

Now that I say that, it seems like playing dark elves would very fitting with your old X-Com persona.

Peasant:Well, those conquerors don't see much worse than our old lords. Who's their master again?
Riot police Spearmen:We anser to the great and wise Copper!
Peasant: What? Copper? This will not stand! REVOLUTION!

We could even make the backstory that your X-Com persona was a "voluntary" to some crazy experiment, and is teleported to the world of MoM.:smalltongue:

And even there they know of your "exploits". So you have no other chance but to take control of a small village with your uber tech and research the mastery spell so they stop trying to kill you.:smallbiggrin:

Copper8642
2010-01-11, 09:04 PM
Oslecamo, you have no idea how awesome that idea is. This actually took me like, 10 minute to type because of the laughter. This just might happen.

dsmiles
2010-01-12, 05:42 AM
Personally, Myrran and Warlord, but that's like 5 books right there isn't it? I usually split my books, Life and Sorcery or Life and Chaos. That way I can always send the more powerful spirit to guard my nodes.

Wait...that just sounded so wrong to me...

GAAAAHHHH!!!! POLE DANCING DWARVES!!!!! :smalleek:

Cespenar
2010-01-12, 10:45 AM
Might I suggest Tauron as the mage's portrait, regardless of the other choices? The guy just screams evil overlord (but in a good way :smalltongue:).

SolkaTruesilver
2010-01-12, 10:58 AM
+1 for Tauron.

How about you play unconventionally? You could try to roleplay like the Dark Elves of Nagarroth... :smallbiggrin: Sending raiders to raze cities, but not really trying to expand. The only area you really will try to conquer will be the High Elves cities..

dsmiles
2010-01-12, 11:04 AM
How about the purple-robed dude's portrait?

And +1 for razing everything except High Elves.

Raze cities and build you own! Lazy bums, always trying to conquer instead of putting in a day's work!

SolkaTruesilver
2010-01-12, 11:18 AM
How about the purple-robed dude's portrait?

And +1 for razing everything except High Elves.

Raze cities and build you own! Lazy bums, always trying to conquer instead of putting in a day's work!

Heh...

Having colonies all around the world. Being feared by all, knowing that you might crush them at the least whim... That the end will come, and that nothing they can do, no preparation imaginable, can help them withstand the storm that will arise out of the Darkness...

dsmiles
2010-01-12, 11:28 AM
See? That's the kind of attitude we need here...:smallbiggrin:

SolkaTruesilver
2010-01-12, 11:32 AM
See? That's the kind of attitude we need here...:smallbiggrin:

Nothing can save them..

Only the Poledwarves can distract the invading nightmares of the apocalypse, by offering something even more Chtuluest!

Oslecamo
2010-01-12, 11:36 AM
At this rate, the game will start in a dwarf filled continet.

Well, better than stupid regenerating trolls I guess.

Also, you should vote for a dificulty setting. I voted for impossible, wich pretty much can only be beaten if you use and abuse exploits, since the AI gets loads of free advantages.

Easy is, well, too easy.

Medium the enemy has some brains, but still easy if you know what you're doing.

Hard provides some challenge, but using exploits will make it easy.

Eldariel
2010-01-12, 11:36 AM
Yes, Tauron! Evil Goatee FTW!

SolkaTruesilver
2010-01-12, 11:39 AM

We could restrict the exploits we could use, to be closer to our theme?

what are the known exploits in that game?

dsmiles
2010-01-12, 11:41 AM
Nothing can save them..

Only the Poledwarves can distract the invading nightmares of the apocalypse, by offering something even more Chtuluest!

GAAAAAHHHHH!!!!! POLEDWARVES!!!!!

Cespenar
2010-01-12, 11:57 AM
At this rate, the game will start in a dwarf filled continet.

Well, better than stupid regenerating trolls I guess.

Also, you should vote for a dificulty setting. I voted for impossible, wich pretty much can only be beaten if you use and abuse exploits, since the AI gets loads of free advantages.

Easy is, well, too easy.

Medium the enemy has some brains, but still easy if you know what you're doing.

I remember the OP stating that he usually played at Medium.

And Impossible isn't only beatable by exploit abusing, for example, I've beaten my last two with late Hammerhand invasion in one and crazy-hero-buffing in another. Neither really abuses anything, just play it defensive for a while until you can dump as many buffs and custom artifacts on your heroes (or strong far-end units) and send them to town. It can pretty much be done with any race/magic combination.

Though, I'm not too certain of my skills, so I always start in Myrran for reduced early-game competition.

Oslecamo
2010-01-12, 11:58 AM
what are the known exploits in that game?

Oh, so many...

Start with 11 books of the same school=get one super summon spell known right at the begginning, use it to clear a bloody path trough the land before anyone else gets units strong enough to face it.

Warlord+Alchemist+restarting the game untill you start with an adamantium mine= all your units start with a buttload of free combat buffs from the start, allowing you to quickly develop a deadly army to conquer the land.

Invisible Defense: if the only units protecting a city are invisible, any enemy attackers will just stand idly, and eventually retreat, making your cities invulnerable, except for undeads and area of damage spells. Dark elves are the only race that can build naturally invisible units. Or get sorcery magic for the invisibility spell(but this leaves them vulnerable to area dispell). Brutal for holding the line while you develop your forces.

Guardian spirit of DOOM: white magic for invulnerability spell, put it on a guardian spirit, use it to clear a bloody path trough the map before anyone else gets units strong enough to beat it.

Cespenar:I consider super buffing an exploit, altough probably the weakest one. But since the AI is too dumb to properly counter your super buffed troops, it's still an exploit, as he'll waste his resources trying to hurt something they cannot.

dsmiles
2010-01-12, 12:12 PM
Oh, so many...

Start with 11 books of the same school=get one super summon spell known right at the begginning, use it to clear a bloody path trough the land before anyone else gets units strong enough to face it.

Mmmmmmm...behemoth.....

Cespenar
2010-01-12, 01:17 PM
@Oslecamo: It's more of a common tactic than an exploit to me, but hey, your call.

Oslecamo
2010-01-12, 01:23 PM
@Oslecamo: It's more of a common tactic than an exploit to me, but hey, your call.

If multiplayers was possible in MoM, don't you think it would be broken to be possible to make single units that can cleave trough whole armies whitout even being scratched?

DwarvenExodus
2010-01-12, 01:33 PM
Woah... Multiplayer MoM...

*runs to the google*

dsmiles
2010-01-12, 01:43 PM
Woah... Multiplayer MoM...

*runs to the google*

Let us know if you come up with anything...:smallbiggrin:

Oslecamo
2010-01-12, 01:46 PM
Let us know if you come up with anything...:smallbiggrin:

Just found this (http://www.roughseas.ca/momime/). Didn't tried it tough.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-01-12, 01:50 PM
I still can<t wait to try out Elemental... :smallfrown:

Cespenar
2010-01-12, 01:51 PM
If multiplayers was possible in MoM, don't you think it would be broken to be possible to make single units that can cleave trough whole armies whitout even being scratched?

There's dispel magic (and its greater version), to strip all those buffs at one go, not to mention that everyone can make one of those "super-units" as well. So multiplaying wouldn't be an issue.

I'm not saying it's carefully balanced, but it's not an exploit, IMHO. It doesn't guarantee you a win at Impossible, per se.

dsmiles
2010-01-12, 01:52 PM
Just found this (http://www.roughseas.ca/momime/). Didn't tried it tough.

Cool, I'll have to look at this more at home.

Smight
2010-01-12, 01:59 PM
I still can<t wait to try out Elemental... :smallfrown:

next beta starts at end of february.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-01-12, 02:05 PM
next beta starts at end of february.

But Draginol said the beta won't be fun... :smallfrown:

Smight
2010-01-12, 02:13 PM
you can go try Dominions 3 (http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Illwinter/DOM3/DOM3_page.html)

you can build guys to shred whole armies there too.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-01-12, 02:15 PM
you can go try Dominions 3 (http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Illwinter/DOM3/DOM3_page.html)

I tried it... I find it... too arcane (in term of complexity) for my taste.

Coming from a staunch EU3 player, I think this says something... :smallbiggrin:

Copper8642
2010-01-12, 06:25 PM
Hmmm.... I need to set a starting date or I'll keep slowly asking for input. Unless I get really bored and start something up tonight, I'm saying tomorrow, or Thursday at the latest.

Until then, keep the opinions and ideas coming. Also, the usual "forum involvement" seems to be people adding themselves to the Let's Plays in the form of characters. That just seems like it might not work with Master of Magic. Governors, generals... maybe soldiers? It could work, but it might be awkward. Basically, if people want to be involved, any ideas on how?

Trixie
2010-01-12, 07:33 PM
I want my name to be on a good ranged/noble/owner Hero (or even better, Champion) :smalltongue:

tyckspoon
2010-01-12, 07:58 PM
Mention of a tactic/'sploit I haven't seen mentioned yet:
Halflings with Death Magic. Get the Werewolf spell as soon as you can. Turn a unit of Halfing Spearmen into Werewolves. Profit. Halfling Spearmen are basically the game's ultimate fodder- they even come in units of 8 where the standard unit size for a spear-unit is 6 (mind, the Halfling's racial Lucky ability makes them far more effective than they should be.) Werewolves are regenerating Weapon Immune melee monsters. It's a good trade. It also works with pretty much any race, but Halflings work best with their larger unit sizes (incidentally also part of the power of Slingers- they come in larger packs than other missile troops.)

Eldariel
2010-01-12, 08:12 PM
I've played hotseat multiplayer on MoM. It's a crude program and has some severe bugs (and no player-to-player diplomacy), but it's tons of fun anyways. Don't know where I found it, but it's basically an overlay program that tries to replace the "End Turn" button with a Button that switches the save so that the other player is the "human player" instead. It's yeah...crude, but tons of fun. Though obviously, the Human-Human combat is kinda...yeah. It doesn't really work out any better than normal, meaning attacker has a huge advantage. Bleh. Someone was making a MoM remake with true multiplayer support though.

Actually, that link seems to be just the remake I'm thinking of. It's come a long way since I last checked. Seeming very promising; it only lacks proper AI yet. Though the forums are overrun with bots and I have no idea if the project coordinator is actually on it anymore. Oh well...

SolkaTruesilver
2010-01-12, 08:12 PM
Mention of a tactic/'sploit I haven't seen mentioned yet:
Halflings with Death Magic. Get the Werewolf spell as soon as you can. Turn a unit of Halfing Spearmen into Werewolves. Profit. Halfling Spearmen are basically the game's ultimate fodder- they even come in units of 8 where the standard unit size for a spear-unit is 6 (mind, the Halfling's racial Lucky ability makes them far more effective than they should be.) Werewolves are regenerating Weapon Immune melee monsters. It's a good trade. It also works with pretty much any race, but Halflings work best with their larger unit sizes (incidentally also part of the power of Slingers- they come in larger packs than other missile troops.)

Can you animate the dead werewolves?

tyckspoon
2010-01-12, 08:20 PM
mm. Never tried, I usually have the game wrapped up before I actually research Animate Dead (which means I never have much reason to cast it, as all of the fights are over with few to no losses on my side.. plus combat-ressing units tends to bug the game.) I think you can (at least, IIRC you can Black Channel them) but it's a little counter-productive.. I think making them undead takes away their Regeneration, and MoM's Regeneration is crazily good. Not only do they heal in combat, but as long as you win the fight the unit is restored to full health. Even if they were completely destroyed during the battle. As long as one figure of one of your units is still standing on the field, you get all of your Regenerating units back at full strength.

One of the really fun parts of (ab)using Werewolves? Lycanthropy is only an Uncommon level spell. You can start the game with that sucker without any major trouble.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-01-12, 08:22 PM
mm. Never tried, I usually have the game wrapped up before I actually research Animate Dead (which means I never have much reason to cast it, as all of the fights are over with few to no losses on my side.. plus combat-ressing units tends to bug the game.) I think you can (at least, IIRC you can Black Channel them) but it's a little counter-productive.. I think making them undead takes away their Regeneration, and MoM's Regeneration is crazily good. Not only do they heal in combat, but as long as you win the fight the unit is restored to full health. Even if they were completely destroyed during the battle. As long as one figure of one of your units is still standing on the field, you get all of your Regenerating units back at full strength.

Ever heard of Undead Trolls?

They regenerate :smallbiggrin:

Hida Reju
2010-01-13, 01:35 AM
For complete fun and games try

Life 3, Sorcery 3, Chaos 2 with Runemaster, Charismatic, and Artificer

The reduction in artifact cost is obscene (50% then 25% more) and you can actually break artifacts for more mana than they cost to make. You can equip any hero with anything you want.

For race go with Nomads for easy mode because more gold = more power and they get 90+% of all the buildings in the game for super cities of power.

dsmiles
2010-01-13, 07:05 AM
Ever heard of Undead Trolls?

They regenerate :smallbiggrin:

I know. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAA!!!!!

:smallbiggrin:

(As for poster involvement, maybe name heroes or colonies after them? Or maybe have each poster create an magic item?)

If heroes are the media, I'd like to be the barbarian guy...I can't remember his original name, though...:smallfrown:

Oslecamo
2010-01-13, 09:11 AM
For race go with Nomads for easy mode because more gold = more power and they get 90+% of all the buildings in the game for super cities of power.

On the other hand, nomads grow slowly, and you can't really afford to have cities just producing trade goods in early game, you need them churning out troops, food, tech and settlers. Also their special units aren't that special.

As for my avatar ingame, sign me for the first frontline dude you can get your hands on, or spellcaster hero.

Eldariel:Hmm, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure is the defender who has the advantage, since he always gets to move first. Only advantage of the attacker is to attack a single position with multiple full stacks to try to overpower it with numbers.

Also, that site looks kinda dead, but the DLs still work and should work relatively fine for multiplayer.

Cespenar
2010-01-13, 11:45 AM
@dsmiles: There was a Gunther fellow, which, IIRC, might the barbarian you are referring to.

Eldariel
2010-01-13, 12:03 PM
Eldariel:Hmm, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure is the defender who has the advantage, since he always gets to move first. Only advantage of the attacker is to attack a single position with multiple full stacks to try to overpower it with numbers.

Also, that site looks kinda dead, but the DLs still work and should work relatively fine for multiplayer.

That isn't the multiplayer patch I was using; it was a simple "replace save, load before each turn"-file, which meant that in combat, the defender was controlled by CPU. So...yeah.

dsmiles
2010-01-13, 01:18 PM
@dsmiles: There was a Gunther fellow, which, IIRC, might the barbarian you are referring to.

No, I looked it up...it's Brax the Dwarf I was referring to, actually. His portrait just makes me think of a barbarian...:smallconfused:

Copper8642
2010-01-13, 04:51 PM
Difficulty: Hard
Portrait: Tauron
Name: Copper
Picks: Myrran, NEW: Channeler, 4 Chaos(Fire Bolt, Hell Hounds, Fire Elemental), 2 Nature(Web), 2 Sorcery(Phantom Warriors)
Race: Dark Elves

I haven't actually started the game up, but this is what the voting+me seems to have decided. So we're got ourselves a sort of Myrran Elementalist NEW:...Chaos...Nature.... guy.

Still deciding on theme of the character and the story, but I'll start this either later tonight, or tomorrow (thanks to homework, it's looking more like tomorrow).

See later posts.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-01-13, 04:52 PM
Picks: Myrran, 4 Chaos(Fire Bolt, Hell Hounds, Fire Elemental), 2 Nature(Web), 2 Sorcery(Phantom Warriors)

I haven't actually started the game up, but this is what the voting+me seems to have decided. So we're got ourselves a sort of Myrran Elementalist.

Still deciding on theme of the character and the story, but I'll start this either later tonight, or tomorrow (thanks to homework, it's looking more like tomorrow).

... I was sure we had decided for Death...? :smallfrown:

Copper8642
2010-01-13, 05:14 PM
... I was sure we had decided for Death...? :smallfrown:

I saw like, 2 people vote on Death. Maybe I'm a horrible reader? But I saw mostly votes for Chaos or Chaos/Sorcery. The Nature was like, 1 vote, but Web is a good spell, so I can't argue.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-01-13, 05:17 PM
I saw like, 2 people vote on Death. Maybe I'm a horrible reader? But I saw mostly votes for Chaos or Chaos/Sorcery. The Nature was like, 1 vote, but Web is a good spell, so I can't argue.

Nah, I was probably biaised.

edit: and distracted by the poledwarves

Cespenar
2010-01-13, 05:49 PM
You could do better with those 2 picks in Sorcery buy getting a trait or two, namely Warlord or Alchemist + something, but never mind. Though I have to say, Alchemist makes your economy really versatile.

Oslecamo
2010-01-13, 05:54 PM

Unless you plan to play really defensive and never expand too much, I strongly advise you to ditch sorcery and pick up channeler trait.

Really, whitout channeler, you'll burn trough your mana really really fast if you want to rely in combat spells.

Plus it makes summons and enchantments cost only half mana on upkeeps. Rounded down.

Copper8642
2010-01-13, 05:55 PM
Hmmm.... consider it edited.

These points are valid and sexy.

Cespenar
2010-01-13, 08:03 PM
Yeah, Channeler is a great trait too. Frankly, I like most of the traits so much that I usually start games with 3-4 magic at most.

dsmiles
2010-01-14, 04:57 AM
Hmmm.... consider it edited.

These points are valid and sexy.

Channeler is definitely a sexy choice. (Though, by definition, poledwarves are not.)

That being said, have you decided on poster's roles in-game, yet?

Trixie
2010-01-14, 07:15 AM
Picks: Myrran, NEW: Channeler, 4 Chaos(Fire Bolt, Hell Hounds, Fire Elemental), 2 Nature(Web), 2 Sorcery(Phantom Warriors)

I haven't actually started the game up, but this is what the voting+me seems to have decided. So we're got ourselves a sort of Myrran Elementalist NEW:...Chaos...Nature.... guy.

Um, let me point that everyone supported Warlord as well.

http://www.dragonsword.com/mombak1/Document/hero0035.php

Oh, and a little suggestion - the strongest heroes in the game require life or death books. I'd suggest Myrran, Runemaster, Artificier, Warlord, one Death book, the rest being Chaos (or Death, if you want), as web quickly ceases to be useful.

Runemaster and Artificier allow extra mana, take them instead of Channeler as they make it mostly pointless (and maybe add Famous for free gold and heroes?). With the above, you'll have much stronger heroes we can name - after all the heroes are fun! :smallbiggrin:

Copper8642
2010-01-14, 06:59 PM
Ok, personally I see the Runemaster/Artificer thing as Hax. Mana literally comes from nowhere. However, it is true that Warlord was voted for many times, but Channeler got votes too. My issue is that Myrran received most votes (indirectly, through race selection) and is 3 picks. As I said, I do enjoy actually having a number of spell picks to start with. It feels right, more like... a wizard. I'm going to make decisions one last time, partly based on votes and my whim at the moment.

Seems to be difficult with room to mess around. Good LP material

Only portrait that received votes. and generally pretty cool.

Decided to go with it, X-Com personality optional.

Picks: Myrran, Famous, 3 Death, 3 Chaos.
Pushing it, but it's still 6 books to 5 bonuses. On the basis that viewer participation will likely be through heroes, I changed the extra pick to Famous, because Channeler is for saving mana, and Dark Elves are living mana batteries. I've never played as Dark Elves and had magic problems.

Hell yeah.

Ok, participation seem to be a want to be heroes. So I guess the general LP rules of: "If you want to be a character, be a character" apply. Get a hero, be the leader of a unit, become a city official (if you sign up for governor, I'm still holding complete control of my build orders until I'm set up. I like my build orders), do whatever the hell you want.

This begins tonight (though not much of it, maybe a turn or two).

The_JJ
2010-01-14, 07:07 PM
I'd like to be something military-ish. Unit leader, whatever.

Johnny Blade
2010-01-14, 07:53 PM
I'd like to be a tax collector.

No, really.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-01-14, 09:10 PM
I would like to be your Apprentice :smallbiggrin:

My Master, I am please you tell you last night's study has been fruitful to research the new Megafireball spell. Please don't kill me to test it out, I have to finish sweeping the laboratory's floor.

Do you wish me to fetch the Adamantium to create the new artifact? I promise I won't snif its dust this time.

Copper8642
2010-01-14, 11:56 PM
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Copper8642/Master%20of%20Magic/Name.png

"Uuugghhh... wha.... what happened""

A blurry figure: "..... lord..... city..... please......"

"Where... where am I... my eyes have gotta focus eventually..."

A blurry figure: "... awake..... answer.... soon...."

*The figure comes into focus, it's a tall, lithe, purple skinned figure, presumably male. He holds himself very upright, in a professional manner. The room around him is well kept, the desk in front of my face is tarnished only by my drool, the rugs and curtains all impeccably clean.*

Purple figure: "Lord, really.... us worried.... city to..... good name....."

"This... this is such a.... such a headache...."

Purple figure: "Headache... eh? That's.... interesting... but so be it..."

*The purple figure leaves momentarily.*

"The hell did I drink? And... who was that. And why have I never seen one on Arcanus?"

*The figure returns*

Purple Figure: "Your choice has been recorded, and our new town name will be honored. Hail Copper!"

*I sit up straighter, my mind finally running up to speed.*

"Ok, ok, I'm flattered... but why am I being hailed as a lord? Who are you? Who am I lord of? How did I come to be accepted as lord here? I'm a bit... behind, as it were."

Purple Figure: Of course. You've been passed out in that seat for approximately 17 hours. Well, for the first 5 minutes, you were sprawled across the desk. After we heard the loud crack heralding your entrance to our city, we ran to this room, and Nevyth promptly decided to kill the intruder, you. When the flesh was stripped from his body as he tried to strike you, leaving his skeleton..."

*The purple figure motions the the still skeleton standing to attention directly behind me. I nod approvingly.*

"... we knew you had come. Our lord had come to lead us Dark Elves over the lesser races, to conquer and slay the other races of Myrror! The people have been clamoring to hear from you, our first orders from the new master! We're lucky you have Copper emblazoned across your chest in gold, or we would not even have had a name to tell them. And now your first decree, the new name of our grand city, has been announced. Welcome, to Headache!"

"... This... this is ridiculous........ so I'm in charge... how did I get here, again?"

Dark Elf: Crack of noise. You were here. We don't question."

*Thinking back, the Wizard's Contact had begun. Mages of all schools and levels of power... Discussing of magic ethics... meh... duels and food... research comparison... Hmmm... Must have been some weird Chaos magic anomaly. They told me this kind of stuff happened. But hey. Now I'm the king!*

"Well alright! I know you're probably hoping for something a bit more dramatic or noteworthy from your lord and master, but I'm pretty hungry. I demand food!"

Dark Elf: "Food will be gathered from the farmers nearby immediately!"

"You don't... you don't store it somewhere? No warehouse, no granary...? Speaking of which, have you no name?"

Nexiss: "Nexiss sir. And... no, we don't have a granary. In fact... we're lucky we have much built. It's tough to organize much construction without a real figurehead for a leader."

"Well... get to building something! Start with a granary. Get some food stockpiled. Then when I... and the people... gotta eat, we can eat!"

Nexiss: "Right away, sir!"

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Copper8642/Master%20of%20Magic/Granary.png

"Great. Now, let me get a view of my new domain!"

*Walking boisterously over to the window of my chamber, my mind is alight with the possibilities that come along with rulership and power. People who worship me, at my command. As I hear it, it's good to be ki-*

*Outside the window lies a land bathed in shadow. A howl screams from a hut, and a blast of magic can be seen fly down a street. All around the tower, the air is alive with darkness. Scrying down near the streets, crowds of people with the same regal manner as Nexiss slip through the shadows, but this regal stature is the only semblance of civility they hold by human standards. Bodies are barely hidden in alleyways. Fresh blood slicks certain streets. United only by loyalty to the new king, the is pure chaos, a mix of feral savagery and regal formality. A sense of civility only until one feels safe, at which point any safety one may have held is withdrawn. It is, for all intents and purposes, a city of evil.*

*-ng.... Oh dear....*

Nexiss: "A stronger establishment of order is just what we need! I'm glad our lord carries such confidence!"

Cespenar
2010-01-15, 10:34 AM
Nice start.

Now as the consultant for city planning (:smalltongue:), I'd suggest a conversion of at least a thousand of our farmers into workers.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-01-15, 10:47 AM
That's a crappy city location if I ever saw one.

Send a scouting party north, another one south. I think the north ends in a peninsula, so you will have plenty of time to get the units back in time.

What are the spells available to research, my Master?

Copper8642
2010-01-15, 05:43 PM
I'll work you guys into the story soon. Also, for the record, I did have those workers moved to building after I took the screenshot. As well as moved the troops one space.

The basis of the turns of the game taking a month each will be stretched a bit, though the first turn will have taken a month. I can't say that I'll stick to those mechanics if it makes the writing difficult.
---
*It's been a month, and I haven't left this chamber. Nobody questions it, but it's tough to keep a good image when I can't get myself to walk out of a door. In my shock, I've forgotten how to make a walking Skeleton, one of the most basic of spells. This will take some review, I can't be expected to turn my sights to greater magics before I can get my mind to grips with everything I once knew.*

Nexiss: "Sir, the spearmen and swordsmen are both back in the city after a short foray to the Southwest.

"Ur-Hrrmm. Ok, well, I can see shore to the Northeast, have that scouted before we turn our attentions mainland."

Nexiss: "If I may suggest sir, if we keep the swordsmen here in case of attacks, and leave the scouting to the spearmen."

*I don't feel comfortable having these things openly armed with quality arms and armor in my city... It's bad enough with just civilians! Just repeat: You are their god, you are their god, you are their god...*

"Yes... yes, ok. Of course, good thinking! If the spearmen come across anything too difficult to fight, they'll just avoid it, they're only scouting right now!"

*Before much time had passed, I received news of a Sorcery Node filled with powerful phantom creatures directly to the Northeast. That would be a priority in the future, but for now, continued scouting was necessary.*
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Copper8642/Master%20of%20Magic/TheNode.png
---
"So... tax collection. I'm unable to comprehend how money is coerced from my people. They seem more likely to donate the tax collector's own organs back to him."

Nexiss: "Exactly sir. Tax collection is a duty for prisoners. It's considered illegal to interfere with the collection of taxes, but a missing tax collector is generally overlooked if the cause of disappearance is considered spectacular enough by the law."

"O-o-o-of course! What good sport! So.... I need money to run this city... any recently collected taxes I'm unaware of?"

Nexiss: "Our most recent collector, a beastman, was found in the form of a fleshy paste, which had been spread out in letters spelling your name a few hours after your name was revealed. The new one is just being selected now."

*The looks of pride in his eyes was eerily apparent when he said this*

Nexiss: "In fact, maybe you would like to be there at the selection?"

*A quick examination of the city below was enough to warrant the need for an immediate excuse.*

"No! Um... n-no... I... uh.. there's... I'll scry the prisons from here! You can bring me the prisoner I select! Yeah!"

Nexxis: As you wish, sire.

*As my mind's eye examined the cells, it became apparent that the occasional unlucky traveler who passed by the town wasn't always murdered, and occasionally just beaten down and then chained. But, as I also noticed, occasionally that traveler happened to be a lost Arcanian. While the majority of the prisoners appeared to be merchants or brigands of other races, a few scared looking people of the races from Arcanus were in certain cells. Apparently I'm not the only man who has been unlucky in planar travel before.*

"Bring me the first human you see on the right!"

Nexiss: "Such a rare trophy being used for such a dangerous job?"

"Umm... well, of course! It will demand all the more elaborate of a set up if someone were to suddenly find him dead. Also, I will assist him in his self defense. ...For the sake of making the hunt all the more suspenseful, of course. And I could use a constant flow of taxes."
---
*A broken and scared individual is taken into my chamber.*

"Leave us, Nexiss."

*The room is only occupied by the the other human, and myself. Pausing a few moments before I hear no more footsteps.*

"Are you alright, man?!"

Man: "No... no... I'm... DO I LOOK ALRIGHT?!?"

"Look, look, whatever these elves did to you, it's in the past no-"

Man: "I'm missing toes, damnit! What did you call me up here for!? You lead these monsters! Kill me, or whatever you want to do to me!"

"No, no, I need human company here. This is too much, alone in this plan-"

Man: "Oh, don't you start telling me about suffering and loneliness!"

"Shut UP! Or I'll send you outside this tower's door and just leave you to your devices. I need human company. You are human. As such, you will be kept at hand. Alive, yes, and hopefully not suffering too badly. In return, you will... be human. That's all I ask. I can't tell that to these elves, and so you need a guise. Your guise will be tax collection. I'll d-"

Man: I know what they do to the tax collectors! They used to let us draw straws to choose the tax collector! No way is Johnny Blade being sent out there!

"Too bad. My city, my rules here. I will ward you with magic. You will have skeletons keeping you safe from a distance, at your beckon. And, as part of the ruse, you will be collecting taxes from those elves, and delivering them to me personally. I'd love to chat, Johnny, but I need those taxes now. You can thank me for the job later. You'll have your protection before you get out of the tower. Nexiss will give you an outfit that isn't in rags. Now go."
---
*The time passed in the tower. It was split between keeping up appearances as a figurehead, practicing sorcery and researching, receiving scout reports, and attempting to stay sane with conversations with my guards, Nexiss, and Johnny. Poor man. Miracle he's sane. No matter, I've got my own matters to deal with. Such as the inherent magical power of these elven people. There's so much mana in the air, it's almost tangible. I've never magically progressed this fast! Sure, in Arcanus I felt secure and safe in my own wizard's tower, but hey, this magical, political, and military power was a good trade-off for it!*

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Copper8642/Master%20of%20Magic/Scouting3.png

*The scouts found ruins, temples, and caves. 2 undefended places yielded money and mana, but many were defended by bears or giant spiders. Something about a Great Wyrm too, I'll have to find that in my library. Speaking of my books, I've accomplished the spells of Warp Wood, Disrupt, and Cloak of Fear. I've never heard of such a thing on Arcanus. Also, we had a visitor.*
---
Nexiss: "Sir, the shrine is being start as we speak. Now that the granary is up, this shrine will give our citizens more of a chance to worship their great master. I almost fear discontent if one were not to be built. However, I came up here for a different matter. A man. Another human. He came in on a horse, and appears to be a warrior-mage of some kind. He outside the tower and swordpoint.

"Send him up."

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Copper8642/Master%20of%20Magic/TheJJ.png

The JJ: "I am known as The JJ, master of beasts, sword, and spells."

*He stopped to let his words sink in. I could tell I would need to establish who was running the conversation."

"Great."

The JJ: "Listen, you have something I need. Money! And I have something you need. Knowledge of the landscape. This city is a notorious landmark on this continent, the news of your arrival spread quick. And it would seem to me a newcomer to the place could use some help. I found my way around this barren plane the hard way, let me save you that error."

*Great, I'm famous!*

The JJ: "And you could use a man such as me in your armies, because I've got information that I'll give you on the house."

*To make a long story short, he was hired. And to prove his claim, he was sent out to meet up with the spearmen in the field. His claim was proven true.*

Trolls
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Copper8642/Master%20of%20Magic/Trolls.png
---

Ok, so a good bit of information I tried to stuff into this update. Johnny, go to town on your tax collection in the city of evil. The JJ, you're a scout, and appear to me made purely of muscle. Solka, I'll try to work you in in an update or two. So yeah, moved on to a shrine before unrest rises, have most of the continent scouted. I have a fair share of monsters in caves around me, and a town of trolls. I have a fair store of mana, research is progressing, and money isn't too tight yet. I'll end it with the screenshot I took before I saved and exited that didn't fit anywhere else.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Copper8642/Master%20of%20Magic/Update1End.png
Just some more visible landscape.

Oslecamo
2010-01-16, 08:49 AM
Get hellhounds. Get spearmen. Take down the troll village, and assault the caves with bears/spiders for profit.

Or would you rather conquer it? Trolls would add some needed muscle to your army, and with death magic backup you can pull out some nasty combos.

Also, shame we still didn't find an adamantium mine.

The_JJ
2010-01-16, 09:51 AM
I find this terribly ironic for reasons I can't explain at the moment.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-01-16, 12:57 PM
My Master, which spell are we currently researching?

Smiling Knight
2010-01-16, 01:15 PM
Help!
Inspired by this Let's Play, I decided to play some MoM. I found my old disk, downloaded DOS BOX and followed the setup instructions. However, when I run /INSTALL, I come across a problem. After I choose which directory to install it in, an error comes up, saying "Cannot read free disk space."

The place I tried to install it (and this may be the problem) as
C:/Program Files/MOM.

Someone aid me in rediscovering the joys of Myrror once again!

Driderman
2010-01-16, 04:38 PM
Help!
Inspired by this Let's Play, I decided to play some MoM. I found my old disk, downloaded DOS BOX and followed the setup instructions. However, when I run /INSTALL, I come across a problem. After I choose which directory to install it in, an error comes up, saying "Cannot read free disk space."

The place I tried to install it (and this may be the problem) as
C:/Program Files/MOM.

Someone aid me in rediscovering the joys of Myrror once again!

Get D-Fend reloaded from the internet, drag the .exe file into the D-Fend window and you should be able to run it.
D-Fend is basically an easy-to-use version of Dosbox

Smiling Knight
2010-01-16, 04:59 PM
Thanks, now it installed, but when I run MAGIC D-Fend quits just as it the DOS window opens... \

Still, progress is progress.

Driderman
2010-01-16, 05:06 PM
Thanks, now it installed, but when I run MAGIC D-Fend quits just as it the DOS window opens... \

Still, progress is progress.

Well that's odd, I just checked and it works like a charm for me. Install, drag magic.exe to D-Fend, skip through setup windows and its running.
Maybe you need to run the setup first, I've had older games fail to run on dosbox due to incompatible sound settings or similiar

Smiling Knight
2010-01-16, 05:29 PM
I turned off the sound, but no progress.

Trixie
2010-01-16, 06:59 PM
How about turning on expanded memory?

Smiling Knight
2010-01-16, 10:43 PM
How about turning on expanded memory?

I'm sorry; I'm not sure how to do that. Could you please explain?

abb3w
2010-01-17, 02:54 AM
I mostly play MOM via Virtual PC.

The worst exploit I know of:
The Life spell "Plane Shift" does not check to see if a node has been cleared of the native critters when you shift into it. Thus, you can plane shift (say) a couple Guardian Spirits with endurance to Myrror to explore, locate nodes, move Guardian Spirits to the corresponding position on Arcanus, plane shift them across into Myrror already in the node, and Meld without having to kill off the monsters first. Of course, you don't get the goodies from beating the node monsters until you come back with real forces (or until a computer opponent does it!), but you can get massive inflow of manna early in the game.

There's also the legitimate-but-vicious White School trick of putting Stream-of-Life on all your cities, then sending the taxes through the roof; SOL wipes out all resultant unrest for the cities that have it. (Amazing what a good health care plan will do for your workforce.) You can get SOL as a starting spell, if you go all-White, although you usually want about three cities before you start this. Downside: if starting cities with colonies of races other than your home city (ESPECIALLY Dark-vs.-Regular elves), you have to cast SOL while the city is still an outpost, or the new town self-destructs. When you have Prosperity and Inspirations cast as well, you can even weather a manna short... although you'll be using inefficient alchemy like mad.

You want to beat MOM the HARD way instead? Rather than specializing in White, Black, Red, Green, or Blue magic... play a GRAY mage: A Famous, Charismatic, Myrran Channeler Artificer Warlord. No spells but the basic (and fairly useless) Arcane spells, and anything your heroes happen to know on their own. Ow. Note you have to look in on your Apprentice on your first turn, or the game crashes (probably from not seeing ANY spells).

Eldariel
2010-01-17, 03:36 AM
Arcane Wizard isn't horrible. Summon Champion and Create Artifact are amongst the best spells in the game, and Dispel/Disenchant-line means that while you won't have that much magic, you can at least tackle opposing magic. I'd definitely rather have Alchemist than Channeler at that point tho. Makes your mana do some good.

Actually, I'm quite fond of Alchemist overall; it allows you to buy turn 3 Granary (ramping mana production to max; you can catch up quickly enough) and Shrine the turn before you'd grow to 5 (as High Elves). Then, when Mana Shorts and stuff comes up, you can just convert it all the other way. And it doesn't hurt that your starting armies all have +1 to attack. You can actually up your Taxes to 2.0 for the first turn, keeping the opening Spear and Sword there to maintain peace. Once you finish Shrine, I think 1.5 is still manageable in a 6-city with no defenses (of course you need both to scout).

By the way, on a completely unrelated note, I found an unofficial 2.0 patch for MoM here: http://www.dragonsword.com/magic.php

It seems pretty damn interesting. Lots of balance changes and some bug fixes. Though there's a bit much Missile Immunity on some high-end units (and the whole effin' Klackon race) making Sky Drake Nodes nigh' impossible to take until very late. Missile Immunity, Flying AND Magic Immunity? Must be nice... Hell, they even trounce Great Drakes in a fight 'cause they're immune to breath while Great Drakes aren't (but that's how it is in standard MoM too).

Johnny Blade
2010-01-17, 03:46 AM
Tax Collector.

Tax Collector.

TAX COLLECTOR!

What kind of monster - or moron - do you have to be to send people collecting taxes from Dark Elves?
At least half of them just laugh at me. And those that take me seriously, well, when they see the badge I got from our wonderful leader, they usually go easy. Which means they only stab me where it won't kill me or cut off parts. Better than the dungeon, in a sense.

But guess what? That won't help me collect taxes from those damn crazy Elves!
Some of these people don't even know what I'm talking about!

No, you pay money. No, gold! No, I don't care that you just sacrificed your little baby. It doesn't count as money! No, I don't think Copper wants the heart. No, not even when it's enchanted to beat for all eternity. Yes, he has too much to do ruling your crazy asses to appreciate fine arts.

Argh.

At least crime rates are still at good levels. Allowed me to just instate a death tax. So now I do all the sanctioned body-stripping in the city and get the right to have everyone caught doing it killed in the name of Copper. Leading to more tax money.

Not that bad, for the moment.

Driderman
2010-01-17, 04:27 AM
I'm sorry; I'm not sure how to do that. Could you please explain?

Right click the magic.exe in D-Fend and select edit, check the settings

found this on a forum, not sure if it helps:

Here's some tips for getting Master of Magic to run in DOSBox. I've got a 2.4ghz Pentium IV, which is about five years old, so it should work for anyone with a computer bought this decade.

First of all, I use D-Fend Reloaded. It's the best DOSBox graphical frontend, IMO. Even if you don't use D-Fend Reloaded, you can still take advantage of these settings, just don't ask me for the commands.

CPU
- Emulation Core: Dynamic
- CPU Cycles: 10000

Memory
- Memory (in MB): 16
- Check "Use XMS-Memory"
- Check "Use EMS-Memory"
- Check "Use UMB-Memory"

Graphics
- Window resolution: 640x480
- Fullscreen resolution: 640x480
- Check "Use double buffering"
- Check "Keep correct aspect"
- Render: Overlay
- Video card: VGA
- Scale: Nearest Neighbor upscaling with a factor of 2 (normal 2x)
- Frameskip: 0

The most important settings are "Render: Overlay" and "Emulation core: Dynamic," both of which really speed things up for me.

The only thing to remember is you'll need the latest version of DOSBox, 0.72, because earlier versions had trouble with the dynamic core and Master of Magic.

Alternately you could get the version from Home of The Underdogs, maybe your old disk version has some issues that has been patched in this one.

http://www.hotud.org/component/content/article/37-strategy/20376

Smiling Knight
2010-01-17, 07:57 AM
Bingo, it's working. Thank you so much.

Copper8642
2010-01-17, 10:21 AM
Sorry, I played through the next bunch of turns last night but was a bit busy when I got around to posting. I'll post it up today in a few hours.

Driderman
2010-01-17, 11:46 AM
Bingo, it's working. Thank you so much.

No problem, no one should be without the wonders (and horrible sound) of Master Of Magic :smallsmile:

Copper8642
2010-01-17, 01:11 PM
"Hmm... Trolls... you said they had a good number of warriors, generally well equipped?"

The JJ: Yeah, I don't think I can take them. In fact, I know I can't take them. I'm pretty sure we could succeed on getting run through on some halberds. But I'm not volunteering for that."

"No, don't, come on back to Headache. I'll summon some beasts for you to command, and you can clear out the nearby caves and dungeons."
-
*I spent the next days summoning Hell Hounds and Skeletons, with only one interruption. Johnny seemed to almost be insulted that I saved him from prison, and stayed on tax collection duty just to stay away from my company. Instead, it was Nexiss.*

Nexiss: "Sir, the Marketplace is finished."

"Good, now the stored food in the Granary can be more readily distributed to the Elves who refuse to eat who and what they kill."

Nexiss: "Food, sir?"

"Yesss..... no? Umm... They can't sell food?"

Nexiss: "It's not a Farmer's Market, sir."

"Ok, just let the farmers in to sell their goods, and there, a Farmer's Market."

Nexiss: No sir, I don't think you want your food stores being held there. You're going to want a separate, more secure marketplace for that."

*Out the window, a piece of the swordsmen unit are seen marching to the Marketplace to keep other elves from joining a dispute that's turned into a duel. Stray blasts of magic light up the sky, and the glint of steel shows everywhere.*

"... aaaannnndddd a Farmer's Market it is. Commence the construction immediately."
-
The JJ: "I'm approaching the cave with the creatures you sent. The Hell Hounds have been staying away from the Dark Elves and Skeletons. The Dark Elves seem to treat the skeletons as if they were people. I'm a bit put off."

"Don't worry, I think once the combat starts it'll be OK."
-
*As they enter the cave, my minds eye stays with The JJ, but also watches from above. We outnumber them.* However, the spiders immediately shoot webs at the hellhounds on sight.*

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Copper8642/Master%20of%20Magic/SpiderBears1.png

*They quickly broke the webs, and the force waited for the charging bears and spiders. The Spearmen attempted to burn away the bears' flesh, succeeding in injuring one, but killing neither.*

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Copper8642/Master%20of%20Magic/SpiderBears2.png

The JJ: "If I were to hit any of these creatures they'd just as likely break me in half in retaliation. I'm leaving it to your beasts!"

"If you're too cowardly to strike them with your sword, at least cast something."

The JJ: "I... I uh... I can only cast Resist Elements. I don't have the magical power to cast any of your spells. I'm... I'm busy commanding! From the rear! Stop distracting me!"

*No unit got through the fight unscathed, and one whole unit of hellhounds fell. I began replacing them right after the combat.*

The JJ: "Hey, look what I found! Some mana crystals, and:"http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Copper8642/Master%20of%20Magic/Staff.png

*I can feel the magic radiating from the staff just through my scrying magic.*

"Well, it seems you've found a weapon that will help you both beat down the enemies, and maybe cast a spell or two..."

The JJ: "I can't use that. I'm a warrior, not a sage. I use blades! What kind of warrior uses staffs?!"

*The most powerful magical artifact that's ever come into my possession and I have a lackey who refuses to use it. This world will be the end of me, I swear it.*
-
*With a replacement unit of Hell Hounds, The JJ cleared some ruins of a group of bears and found a stash of 100 gold. He again kept his blade sheathed, and I've yet to see him cast a spell.*

"Say, I guess technically I hired you for scouting, not fighting. So what's around there!"

The JJ: "Actually, the nearby mountains have some gold, and the others have some mithril. Good place for a mining settlement."

*Think he would have mentioned that before. Ignoring the rest of his babble, I order him to come back to Headache. Using the gold he found, I buy some Settlers to form a settlement, and then send my spearmen to guard it. My last action of the day is to pick a new spell to research.*

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Copper8642/Master%20of%20Magic/Update2End.png

"Hmm... I can dispel now... what looks good... ooh, Corruption. Corruption.... how can this world become any more corrupted. If I were to corrupt this land, it'd probably become normal... Hahaha...... If only...... I wonder....... OK, Corruption it is."

*I sit down at my desk, with the book of Chaos magic the Nexiss brought to me from the Useful Magics section of the tower's library. The first page was Fire Bolt. I've yet to ask what the other sections were. I tried not to dwell on it.*

"Nexiss!"

*The elf entered the room almost immediately. What does he do when not advising me?*

Nexiss: "Sir?"

*If there is a library in here, there has to be people who spend time trying to decipher these magics other than myself. Isn't there someone else who attempts to read into these things?*

Nexiss: "You need a research assistant? I'm sure any number of Elves will volunteer. Which will lead to competition. Which will lead to bloodshed. Surely you come up with new and glorious ways to make your people love you every day! I'll find the most learned Elves in the tower."

*Great, a bloodthirsty assistant. I'm trying to keep them out there, not in here! Well... I'm sure I can handle just one.*
-
Solka, that's your cue to volunteer, if you want to.

Cespenar
2010-01-17, 01:27 PM
Wow... that's a powerful artifact in such early game.

By the way, you seem to have mis-linked the last picture, as it's the same as the third one.

Oslecamo
2010-01-17, 01:46 PM
I feel your pain cooper. At the current game I'm playing I found a kraken's wand quite early. Death at -3 save.

Some hundred turns and 4 heros later, I still don't have anyone able to use it.

Altough biding at -4, that's some wickedly good stuff.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-01-17, 02:22 PM
*Damned would be Lord Copper! This town did not had a Library. Nor even a simple shrine for magical practice... What could a student do in the meanwhile? Nothing! Except for going to work on some good-for-nothing commoner-luving project... A farmer's market! Pff.. I think Lord Copper had underestimated the benefit of starving people. The strongest would survive, ensuring the superiority of our kin! And there would be less filthy commoner to infest the streets...*

Solka was sitting in his chair, looking at the town's centerplace, with his book open. The mind wandered left and right, until it focused on the new Tax Collector... *hehe.. I had too much fun with his predecessor.. I think I'd better wait and see if someone else can try to outperform me. Then I'll know who will be my new lab experiment.*

A spearman walked toward him, and handed him a scroll with the symbol of Lord Copper on it. Frowning, the young magician inspected the seal, making sure it wasn't poisoned or cursed, and broke it open.

By the instruction of Lord Copper,
The government invites every available Rune-Reader of Headache to submit their candidature for the posting of Apprentice to the Wizard Lord.
Please come to the Ruling Tower tomorrow morning, with a list of your credential

Nexiss
Chancellor of Lord Copper

Solka's mind raced. Apprentice to the Wizard Lord? That would mean he would have his own study, and access to all of the Wizard Lord's spells! By Arcanus, he would even be researching the spells himself!

He mentally reviewed all of the potential rivals. There would be four of them.. The other magic users in town were too weak to be even considered. Solka turned toward the messenger

"Do you have any other instructions?"

"Yes sir. I have to bring the messages to other magic-practionners."

"Which one you haven't delivered yet?"

"Priest Gromph, the Sage Malekith and Baron Pharaun"

"Hand me these messages"

"Sir.. I can't. This is meant to be confidential..."

"Hand me the messages"

Magic worked..

"Yes... sir..."

Solka looked at the seal, thinking. Gromph and Pharaun were fools who could never beat him fair and square... But then again, Malekith was powerful, but also a psychopath, who would try to trap the other two scrolls anyway. He decided to enchant a shield spell on the lesser wizard's seals. Malekith would have a taste of his own medicine...

"Very well", he said handing back the message. "the Sage Malekith should currently be at his tower, so I suggest you go there first".

*One down.*

Only the Sage Dalamar, Magician Morathi and Liriel remained...

The next morning...

Solka walked toward the Tower, with a scroll of credentials in hand, happy at himself. A few messages during the night mage sure Dalamar would try to strike at Morathi, and that the watch would find him just after he commited the deed. Only Liriel remained in his path, but he has no idea how to get rid of her...

He walked in, alongside the four other remaining contestants (out of the initial 23, he learned later). Lord Copper, sitting on his throne, looked at them suspiciously...

"I have invited you to become my apprentice.. There was supposed to be more of you, but some.. unfortunate accidents left only you surviving, or out of prison. I am only going to pick one of you. The test will be trying to decipher a paragraph from this Chaos Runebook, which you will pass in order of magical seniority. Lady Liriel, you will be first."

The venerable lady walked toward the Book, and started deciphering.. it took about thirty minutes, but she managed to get a full paragraph out. Solka tried to spot any.. irregularities, but she was a skill one..

*Thirty minutes... Damn it. She is good..."

"Magician Solka, you are next."

Solka walked slowly toward the book, wary of any traps. The Lord wasn't a Dark elf, so he stupidly couldn't decipher any scheme...

He started to read the paragraph, and curse himself for his stupidity! Liriel had laid out a magical trap! She was so skilled... It was a slow fireball.. not highly powered, but still dangerous ennough. By reflex, Solka almost cast a magical shield, but then, at the last moment... he realised Liriel's plan, which wasn't to kill him...

*Clever whore...*

Solka cast the shield spell on the book, instead. The conflagration blasted him on the wall, where he laid there, unmoving. Slowly, he opened his eyes...

"I'm sorry, Mylord. But this book seemed to have had a trap laid on him by the Ancient Wizards. I hope I saved it in time..."

He just had the time to flash a look at Liriel, who looked infuriated at her plan's backfiring. Playing the selfless card? For a Dark Elf, that was truly a mark of weakness. But Lord Copper wasn't a Dark Elf...

SolkaTruesilver
2010-01-17, 02:23 PM
(I leave the rest into your capable hand, Lord Copper. But I would like to clarify 2 fact:

1- The fireball probably broke Solka's back, leaving him crippled on his two legs
2- Solka is a sneaky backstabber who will constantly manipulate and try to kill you to gain your power and your spellpowers. Have fun writing this into your storyline)

Copper8642
2010-01-17, 03:27 PM
Thanks Cespenar, I edited.

Also, we'll say it was finished after you wrote that, but I do have a shrine. Don't want any angry Dark Elves. I'm scared of complacent Dark Elves. Rebels would be bad.
-

*Is there ever a moment that Dark Elves aren't exploding, being ripped apart, or causing one of the aforementioned actions to happen to someone else? At least most of the apparent bloodshed happened outside my chamber. I wonder if I'll regret the loss of powerful elves later. Well, for now...*

"Ahem... Well, that is unfortunate."

*At this point it becomes apparent that Solka isn't getting up.*

"Ah, damnit! Ok, assuming he's telling the truth that the trap was always there, it's a definite loss for this city to cripple someone skilled enough to be in this room right now. Thing is, I'm not stupid. Nor am I magically weak. And now I'm going to play along with Solka's ruse, for whatever reason he didn't blame you three for setting the trap. And I want you to help him. Bind a wound, give him something to stand with. Anything."

*The three other sages walked out without a word. Wow. I didn't expect them to like it, but that... was unexpected. I wonder if they Elves will see this as a sign of weakness, or love me for unintentionally delivering such a suave and low-key insult. Eh, I've never much cared for arrogant aristocracy other than myself anyways.*

"Aaannndddd you seem to be the only person who hasn't left... well, I guess I'll ask, if you could walk right now, would you have left?"

*The pain in the elf's eyes is hidden under a steeled glare. I wonder if that's from pride, or conditioning to pain. Or both.*

Solka: "No, lord. I'm not so stubborn as to refuse an order from our lord. I suspect Arajan wasn't even capable of conjuring something to help me with..."

"Well, as the only remaining applicant in the room, I grant you the title of my Apprentice."

*It was at this moment Nexiss arrived with the closest thing Headache had to medical professionals, and a skeleton. I didn't even yell to him this time. I'm not sure if I should be scared or relieved he's this quick.*

"These Elves will help you, then Nexiss will show you to your room. The skeleton is to be your servant. If you need another to help walk after you're recovered as much as you're going to be, let me know. Nexiss will inform you of your duties, but chief among them, as you know, is helping with my research."

Nexiss: "Sir, let us go, his condition doesn't appear to be good."

*The elves rushed out to another part of the tower. Funny, I've never seen most of my tower. However, I had some of those monsters in here and they didn't openly attack me. I feel I can leave my chamber... eventually. In Arcanus I would have been shocked at an occurrence like that. A book explodes, a sage is crippled. Now I'm surprised that any of them left the room alive. Well... at least I'm king."

SolkaTruesilver
2010-01-17, 03:45 PM
Solka smiled.

*All right, the Lord wasn't stupid. He just tough differently than all of us.. I'll have to be careful around him...*

His legs were a small price to pay to have access to this kind of power. But... ...

He turned around toward the skeletons, his new servants. He had limited mastery of Death magic, and as he remember, the Lord did not had any of such tomes lying around... How could we conjure Skeletons?

Solka was hoping that questing around the world could bring some control over Death Magic. It was a powerful mastery to have...

... and maybe he could replace his useless legs with the Skeleton's...

Copper8642
2010-01-17, 04:03 PM
I am to assume you're just Role-playing unaware I have death books?

SolkaTruesilver
2010-01-17, 04:13 PM
I am to assume you're just Role-playing unaware I have death books?

You are to assume I forgot you changed your initial book pick. Please disregard my post.

However, you as soon as we research "animate dead", you will find that I replaced my crippled legs with skeletal legs animated by magic. :smallcool:

Eldariel
2010-01-18, 08:07 AM
On a somewhat unrelated note, I just finished a mirror game of your initial set of picks (Sorcery 7/Nature 1/Chaos 1 with Alchemist, Node Master, High Elf [Dark Elf's mirror], Impossible, Powerful magic) and ran into something I felt worth mentioning.

As I was ravaging through the countryside of Myrror, finishing off the last two opponents under Time Stop with 3 Demigod heroes (yeah, the game was pretty much won at this point), I decided to pay a visit to a yet-unexplored Nature Node. Great Wyrm defending; ok, it's the strongest Nature-creature but it's nothing to my three heroes. Imagine my surprise when, while attacking the node, no less than SEVEN Great Wyrms supported by a Colossus proceed to ravage my heroes entirely (before I get a turn to recall everyone, of course); 3 of the Wyrms died in the combat, but that wasn't enough by a longshot. That forced a Load out of me.

I did manage to win that fight with one hero later since he was invisible, magic immune and flying and thus the Wyrms were unable to attack him while he bombarded them all to death with 29 strength ranged magic attacks, but I just figured I'd mention the craziest Node-defense I've ever seen. Note that these same heroes had no trouble disposing of opponent's HQ with 4 Sky Drakes and some Shades (unit from 2.0, Draconian Magician basically; sees through Illusions, Illusionary attack, overall a PiTA), Warlocks and Nightmares.

Game was as fun as I remembered, though surprisingly tough (2.0 didn't help either; Illusion-immunity and Illusions from the Shades meant that pretty much anyone could die before I got a turn; Magic Immunity was the only thing that solved this). The early speed Alchemist provides by turning mana into gold for buying buildings early is invaluable though, especially for the slow-growing High Elves, who really need Granaries, Forester's Guildhouses and Farmer's Markets ASAP (not to mention, Settlers and Builder's > Granary in the new cities). Lategame it allowed me to put my mana production to nill and fuel my magic solely with gold. Can't praise that pick enough. Doesn't hurt that the early dungeon raider and defense (or offense, why not) Longbowmen have magical weapons either.

So...good luck and don't run into 7-Wyrm nodes [S]sacrificial lambs scouts! Those things hurt.

Irbis
2010-01-18, 08:45 AM
Try running into something defended by 8 Air Elementals - these things are the worst nightmare of any army :smallsigh:

Eldariel
2010-01-18, 09:22 AM
Try running into something defended by 8 Air Elementals - these things are the worst nightmare of any army :smallsigh:

Eh, they all aren't that bad. A group of Elven Lords along with someone who sees through Illusions can pick them all off alone. A team of 8-9 Elven Lords (especially Elites with Mithril-weapons) would have no trouble chewing through a guard of 8 Air Elementals. A bunch of superheroes would do even better than Lords. They're impressive offensively and the invisibility is a pain, but they aren't very durable and if you have someone who pierces illusions, you can kill them with magic and ranged attacks really easily (they have what, 9 resistance and 8 armor? Disintegrate fodder). First Strikers are also gold vs. them. Now, if your army is mostly ranged without Illusion-piercers (and if you happen to play a race without good First Strikers), then...

Great Wyrms though? They attack turn 1 (Merging), they have enough HP and attack (27! Node = +2) to take on a Demigod-level melee hero or any top tier summon in the game (not to mention, Poison; it seems they can even attack flyers with it), have enough toughness to survive the counterattack and so on. I was chewing through Air Elementals left and right (both, Sss'ra and Horus had Illusion-books and had either traded or researched the spell so I faced quite a bit) with no problem since Aerie, the mage who also eventually killed the Great Wyrms, had Illusion-immunity and strong enough ranged attacks to one-shot them, and both my melee heroes could kill them without damage (Phantom Beasts were slightly more problematic due to the Illusionary attacks penetrating Deth Stryke's armor).

I actually ate through one defended by a pack of Air Elementals. A pack of Basilisks and even one with multiple Behemoths also fell rather easily, while Chaos Spawns caused a bit more trouble due to my insufficient ranged abilities. But the Great Wyrms were the only one that killed me.

EDIT: Regarding the actual game, I'm applying for the role of your mirror! Considering I just played a mirror-game (well, it didn't turn out to be a mirror game since you switched your picks :smallfrown:), it seems very appropriate. Besides, I get to be a medium of communication for the other Wizards. And I tell you how famous you are.

EDIT#2: On a completely unrelated note, I just dug up the multiplayer MoM shell I used way back in the day. For the interested, I put it on Rapidshare: http://rs552.rapidshare.com/files/337261086/MOMPACK1.ZIP

The server is kinda sucky and all, but best I could find. The packet contains some editors and such too. Didn't bother breaking it up. It's an old MoM utility packet I have lying around.

Copper8642
2010-01-18, 04:36 PM
A) Once I meet another wizard, it's all you.
B) If you want to set up a game sometime, I'm up for trying it.
-
*I feel like I should be accomplishing more. I've got all this power... and I've set up a small settlement and killed a few beasts. Hmm...*

Solka: "Mylord, I've finished the work you started on the spell Corruption. I'm spent, but if you would tell me the next spell you would like researched..."

"Drain Magic. I'm curious as to how drained someone could possibly be in such a magical atmosphere such as this."

*Dear lord I wish I knew what he was thinking. What sort of plans is he making for Drain Ma...gi....*

"On second thought, I'll handle that one. Search the Arcane books for a way to move my summoning circle from this town to the new settlement. It should be in one of the one's I've never looked through yet, as I've not run across it in the books I've read."

Solka: "As you wish lord."

*A library is definitely going up with the wood from the sawmill after that sawmill is completed. Keep him studying... just somewhere else.*
-
Nexiss: "The Library was finished in record time, and the Forester's Guild is going up next. Most impressively, Blackstone is finally populated enough to be considered a fully fledged town. A small town, but a town nonetheless. The Dark Elves are spreading, lord. Just think, we'll control continents under your power eventually!"

*I'll work on fixing that problem when it comes.*

"Great. Progress is what I like to hear. Now, tell The JJ that I've summoned more Hell Hounds, Skeletons, and Ghouls. He is to attack the Trolls. I want at least one troop of Trolls killed by ghouls, I'll help with magic from here. The city is to be razed, but we could use some troll muscle. Undead trolls don't rebel."
-
The JJ: "I'm heading out. You're first conquest is imminent. I'll try not to disappoint."

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Copper8642/Master%20of%20Magic/Army.png

Nexiss: "Lord, word comes from Blackstone that Sprites are headed towards the settlement to wreck it!"

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Copper8642/Master%20of%20Magic/Sprite.png

"This is something the spearmen can't handle?"

Nexiss: "Sprites, lord! They're very deadly!"

The JJ: "Don't look at me. No way I can make it in time. Those elves are on their own."

"They're pretty much butterfly people! This isn't as bad as you're making it sound!"

Nexiss: "Sprites, mylord! SPRITES!"
-

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Copper8642/Master%20of%20Magic/Spritefight.png

*The Dark Elven guards stared down their attackers. From my aerial view I saw... nothing to be afraid of. Nexiss thought differently.*

Nexiss: "Lord, is there nothing you can do to save them?"

*This would be worth the mana crystals spent.*

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Copper8642/Master%20of%20Magic/FireElemental.png

"There, a Fire Elemental to shield them. Now let me observe the battle."

*The spearmen lieutenant ordered the men to form ranks, and fire their magical blasts at the sprites. One round and the sprites were dead. Nexiss left my chamber silently.*

"Uhhh.... yeah. I'm not going to ask what that panic was about. I don't think I want to know..."
-
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Copper8642/Master%20of%20Magic/Trollfight1.png

The JJ: "Are you sure this was a good idea? They seem to have a well organized defense. Add that to the fact that they're Trolls, and this might not end well."

"Look, if you're such a warrior as you claim to be, and you're commanding otherworldly creatures as you are, I don't expect complaints. I expect you to kill Trolls. What I've learned of trolls is that they're aggressive warriors. Let them charge you, and fight from there."

*I watched the Troll March from above. Both sides kept their eyes on the enemies. I switched my focus to the scrying spell I had on The JJ. Watching from his eyes, the view was much more terrifying. Those trolls were beasts. Standing taller than the tallest man or elf, their skin was bursting at the seams with muscle. Faces contorted with anger, it was not the hidden seething anger of the Dark Elves, but unconstrained rage at the world. Why was everything on Myrror so mad?*

The JJ: "I'm ordering the creatures to attack!"

"As soon as the trolls were within reach, the Hell Hounds threw themselves are the first group. Their flaming breath did little to mitigate the counterattack, and many hounds were cut down from the air mid-leap by swinging halberds. The Skeletons mobbed a few trolls before being pounded to dust."

The JJ: "Holy crap. This is not going well, lord!"

*The Hell Hounds and Ghouls made one last concentrated effort to down a unit of Trolls, and though they succeeded, the many remaining trolls cut them down with powerful halberd blows before anything else could be done.*

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Copper8642/Master%20of%20Magic/Trollfight2.png

The JJ: "I guess this is the moment to prove I'm a warrior!"

*The JJ reared back on his horse, brandished his horse, and prepared to charge*

"Hey, I need a commander still! Ride away, Ride!"

*Without breaking motion, The JJ steered his horse around and fled for all he was worth, as the last ghoul was cut down.*

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Copper8642/Master%20of%20Magic/Trollfight3.png
-
*The Dark Elven people would not be hearing about that catastrophe. Let them continue their praise for the Mighty Conqueror. If that illusion was dispelled from their minds, I was toast. Funny, I'm not learned in illusion...*
-
Save point, The JJ has ridden back home, everyone is sad.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Copper8642/Master%20of%20Magic/UpdateEnd3.png

SolkaTruesilver
2010-01-18, 04:58 PM
Save point, The JJ has ridden back home, everyone is sad.

Except for me! I'm the only advisor who actually achieved anything for this update :smallcool:

Darn, you saw trough my devious plan of drainage... I'll get you next time, Gadget! Copper!

Copper8642
2010-01-19, 06:04 PM
Ok, so I think the every other day schedule has kind of become apparent. I feel bad, because people with twice as much to write as me have updated on a much more regular basis.

But I do what I do.

Likewise, I'm going to update the first post with what's up.

chiasaur11
2010-01-19, 06:32 PM
Ok, so I think the every other day schedule has kind of become apparent. I feel bad, because people with twice as much to write as me have updated on a much more regular basis.

But I do what I do.

Likewise, I'm going to update the first post with what's up.

Hey, if you can keep up once every two days, that's still fairly good.

(Geeze I feel odd saying this) I'm not exactly the standard, speedwise. Some folks go even faster, of course, but those tend to be a bit, well, awful. Most go a tad slower, and a fair deal of those are aces. Keep up a pace you can work with, write as best you can, and finish eventually and you should be alright.

Eldariel
2010-01-19, 06:51 PM
You can also ask me how famous you are. Among other things. I'm the only source of all your statistics you've got! Well, mostly just Fame. I know things like that.

And I know I'm foaming about the stupid Node all too much, but I just had to go take a screenshot of it (even if it required replaying half the game from an old save):
http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/3761/magic000.png

Of course, since I played just to take this screenshot, this isn't the same hero (well, same hero but not same level or equipment) I used to beat it eventually. And yeah, the only reason I got a turn is the invisibility; otherwise I'd already be dead.

EDIT: ...make that the second most ridiculous Node-defense I've ever seen:
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/6905/magic001.png

Now, I must say that Great Wyrms feel a lot more unfair since they Merge and attack turn 1 while Drakes give you a chance to run. Wyrms also have a lot more raw attack power. However, the Drakes are friggin' magic-immune on top of everything else fun. Like 22-point Lightning Breath. Meaning our intrepid hero from last game would've been toast here.

MickJay
2010-01-19, 08:32 PM
This is the second most powerful army guarding a node I have ever seen! :smallbiggrin:

also edit: I'd still say Wyrms are worse than Sky Drakes - at least you've got one turn to act freely, and perhaps a second one if you've got fast heroes/units. You can always weaken the monsters by killing one or two with strong, non-hero units before they get killed (or try to retreat). With that many Wyrms, it's resurrection, stupidly strong heroes/units or nothing.

Eldariel
2010-01-19, 08:50 PM
also edit: I'd still say Wyrms are worse than Sky Drakes - at least you've got one turn to act freely, and perhaps a second one if you've got fast heroes/units. You can always weaken the monsters by killing one or two with strong, non-hero units before they get killed (or try to retreat). With that many Wyrms, it's resurrection, stupidly strong heroes/units or nothing.

It's a close call; with Wyrms, the Invisibility+Crazy Magic Attack works. With Drakes...well, they see through Invisibility and they're Magic-immune so that plan is kinda shot to sewers. But yeah, getting is a turn was a really nice surprise. And in a straight-up fight, Drakes are slightly beatable as long as your beater is Magic Immune (if only... This game I'm playing a mono-brown Wizard so I don't see that happening any time soon; I'll need to find an artifact that grants Magic Immunity to stand a chance...and get some Demigods).

But still, that game those Drakes would've definitely been more trouble than the Wyrms simply because I had Aerie. If I had any other hero, it would've been the other way, likely. Btw, it's funny how the scouts tell me they've noticed A Sky Drake there. That's not a singular. How can you miss six other bleeping Dragons? Worst. Scouts. Ever. They're so fired.

MickJay
2010-01-19, 09:01 PM
The scouts work in a very simple way: they report the first thing they see, then run away. Usually, the most powerful creature is also the biggest one, and gets reported (unless it's also invisible). Weaker creatures, however, band in packs of 2, 4 or 6 (strange how they never gather in groups of 3 or 5 :smalltongue: ). The scouts, therefore, have enough time to notice the other 5 skeletons standing right next to the first one, so they report "skeletons" (even if there are 8 Night Stalkers right behind them - they're invisible, you see). Firing these scouts, however, won't change anything: they belong to the Scouts' Guild, to which all scouts have to belong, and the Guild enforces the procedures your scouts also used.

Or perhaps they're lawyers, and use the rule that singular also stands for plural. :smalltongue:

dsmiles
2010-01-20, 04:58 AM
The scouts work in a very simple way: they report the first thing they see, then run away. Usually, the most powerful creature is also the biggest one, and gets reported (unless it's also invisible). Weaker creatures, however, band in packs of 2, 4 or 6 (strange how they never gather in groups of 3 or 5 :smalltongue: ). The scouts, therefore, have enough time to notice the other 5 skeletons standing right next to the first one, so they report "skeletons" (even if there are 8 Night Stalkers right behind them - they're invisible, you see). Firing these scouts, however, won't change anything: they belong to the Scouts' Guild, to which all scouts have to belong, and the Guild enforces the procedures your scouts also used.

Or perhaps they're lawyers, and use the rule that singular also stands for plural. :smalltongue:

Honestly, I think it's more like a union. If you fire them, the scout mafia will come and break your kneecaps...

Eldariel
2010-01-20, 06:07 AM
Honestly, I think it's more like a union. If you fire them, the scout mafia will come and break your kneecaps...

I didn't think it was possible, but the game one-upped the last one just now:
http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/4191/magic002.png

Yes, that's eight Great Wyrms and a Behemoth. And here I was thinking 8 was the maximum for Node defenses.

I wonder if the 2.0 somehow made Nodes harder 'cause I sure as hell don't remember this happening before installing it. Of course, all of these have been Myrran nodes so meh.

Trixie
2010-01-20, 05:07 PM
Well... I met nine Storm Giants. without proper spells, they get first turn and annihilate half your army before you even get to react :smallsigh:

Eldariel
2010-01-20, 05:12 PM
@OP: Now you're bound to relay us the craziest Node-stories you have to tell. I am now on a hunt for 9-Wyrm/9-Sky Drake Node.

Copper8642
2010-01-20, 07:57 PM
"Solka, you're going to need to finish that spell on your own, I'll be busy summoning skeletons for The JJ to command into battle."

Solka: "As you wish, mylord."
-
*As the last of the skeletons rose from the ground, The JJ brought a message from his viewpost.*

The JJ: Lord, trolls! But it's only a small contingent of swordsmen. We could easily defeat them. It's like a small portion of the payback we owe them."

"Looks like I'll need ghouls ready. Tell Nexiss I'll need the alchemist to turn some gold into magic."

The JJ: But lord, we have the forces to de... wait... I remember now. Death Trolls. I could use some under my command. I also have other news. The Forester's Guild is finished."

"Good. Begin the Armory. The Trolls will be made to regret threatening my supremacy yet."

*Hopefully I just don't regret having even better trained and well armed Dark Elves around.*

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Copper8642/Master%20of%20Magic/TrollsAttack.png
-
*When the trolls arrived outside the city, The JJ was outside waiting for them. Surrounded by his forces, of course.*

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Copper8642/Master%20of%20Magic/Trolldefense.png

The JJ: "When I said we could take them, I meant they."

"I'm sure you did. Now, I want the Ghouls to drag them down, with minimal help. Not that you'll have to hold yourself back..."

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Copper8642/Master%20of%20Magic/Trolldefense2.png

*As the trolls approached, the swordsmen let loose with their usual volleys of magic. However, the resistance of the Trolls, along with their regenerative healing, again made this mostly ineffectual. The skeletons, however, threw themselves fearlessly at the trolls, and paid for it it with a high death to kill ratio. However, when the Ghouls finally approached the Trolls, the trolls were too weakened to win the fight.*

The JJ: "Woooo!"

*Then they got back up.*

The JJ: "This is... this is a good thing, right?"

"I'm not sure. Tell them to march forwards three steps."

The JJ: "You! Yes, you! Over here, now!"

*The trolls, their flesh both rotting and healing at an equal rate, made their way toward's The JJ.*

"Excellent."

*The victorious ghouls, lacking the Troll's regeneration, yet still requiring my mana to maintain, were put down.*
-
Nexiss: "Halberdiers can now be trained and equipped, lord. Shall we train them?"

"I've read in some of the Dark Elven history I've looked through of a sect of warriors called Nightblades. Now, if what I read holds true, I've no question of their effectiveness. My question is how loyal they are. Say.....assassinations? Any uprisings?"

Nexiss: "No, lord, in the past, any Dark Elven lord wealthy enough to hire Nightblades found them to be well worth their cost as guards, in fact."

"Then begin construction of a Fighter's Guild, I'll need them to end that Troll city."
-
Solka: "My lord, what is the meaning of this!? Did you cast Drain Magic on me? I swear, I wasn-!"

"What? No, I was wondering what was going on too! I can't seem to draw magic from the land. Must be a magic short."

Solka: "...... Hrm, of course. Let us hope it is brief."
-
The JJ: "Copper, we're here at some ruins, the only defense here is a pack of War Bears. I'll see what kind of soldiers these Trolls make."

*As the bears approached, the Trolls slowly began to move forward. After a short standoff of snarling and gnashing teeth from the bears, and a stare of blankness from the trolls, the bears charged. The trolls barely felt the claw and teeth on their skin, and proceeded to cut the bears apart!*

The JJ: "This is awesome! Aha!"

*Suddenly, in a move I took a moment to believe, The JJ swiftly steered his galloping horse right past the trolls, swung towards the bear, and cleanly cut off his head in one swift motion.*

The JJ: "Take that!"

*I have a warrior who's good once he's already winning... well, it could be worse.*
-
*As the time passed, the Fighter's Guild finished. Later, Nexiss told me we had enough Nightblades trained in his opinion, and that the time to train Halberdiers was now. I didn't know the Nightblades had been trained at all. That was unsettling.*

Nexiss: "Lord a visitor. Another human like The JJ and yourself. Not comparable to yourself, of course, mylord. Probably comparable to The JJ, however. Hmmm."

*Nexiss showed the visitor in, then left, still comparing the visitor, The JJ, and I. The visitor appeared to have slightly glazed over eyes. Carried herself in an elegant sort of way. Either she was elegant, or she was unaware of the ground. That's kind of what it seemed like. She didn't seem too aware at all.*

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Copper8642/Master%20of%20Magic/SmilingK.png

Smiling K: "Ah, the new lord of the Dark Elves, Copper, right? I am Smiling K. And I pledge my allegiance to you."

*Well, that was straightforward.*

"Wait, hold on, you don't get to tell me if I'm hiring you. I get to tell you if I'm hiring you."

Smiling K: "No worries, lord. I have no need of money. If you need some, in fact, I have money to spare. Gold is nothing. Except shiny. Gold is nothing except shiny."

*Hehe... right.*

"But why?"

Smiling K: "Let me answer your question with a question. But why?"

"That's the question I asked you."

*And with that she was gone. I was definitely keeping an eye on her. Everything in this world that's unsettling is dangerous. She was unsettling.*
-
*The money she supplied me with was what urged me to hire the Draconian Halberdiers that came by offering their services not long after. Flying, fire breathing might. Paid for by the scary girl. It works out, I guess.*

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Copper8642/Master%20of%20Magic/Mercenaries.png
-
The JJ: "Lord, more trolls are coming. Prepare your ghouls if that's what you're aiming for again."

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Copper8642/Master%20of%20Magic/Trolls2.png

"Yes, yes I will."

*With that, I told Nexiss to bring me Solka.*

Solka: "Lord?"

"I have more news, and more orders."

Solka: "Then tell me and I shall begin."

"Ok, the news. We're erecting a Sage's Guild, and you're going to be the head of it. That should greatly increase our base of magical knowledge. Also, since you've finished researching the Summoning Circle, Wall of Fire is next. Step to!"

Solka: "Erm.. yes sir. Right away."
-

The_JJ
2010-01-20, 09:30 PM
I love my cowardly self. :smallbiggrin:

dsmiles
2010-01-21, 05:06 AM
I love my cowardly self. :smallbiggrin:

You are pretty awesome...:smalltongue:

I can't wait to fire up my own DOSBox MoM and check out some nodes...:smallbiggrin:

Copper8642
2010-01-22, 11:26 PM
*The JJ entered some ruins to clear out yet more strange monsters*

The JJ: "Copper, pretty soon I'll have scoured most of the lairs from this continent!"

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Copper8642/Master%20of%20Magic/GuardianSpirits.png

"One at a time, The JJ. One at a time."

*The JJ once again finished off a wounded creature, this time a guardian spirit, after the trolls did most of the work. At least he's somehow being a "warrior."*
-
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Copper8642/Master%20of%20Magic/MoreTrolls.png
Smiling K: "My lord, the trolls that were attacking the town have been defeated, by the Nightblades and Mercenaries, then the Ghouls again finished them off. Shame, my arrows barely had a chance to meet their marks."

"I'm sure they'll have plenty of chances."

Smiling K: "How many mark do you suppose they'll have a chance to meet?"

"Umm... I'll be sure to find out."

Smiling K: "Thanks, my lord..."

"Send your swordsmen to defend Blackstone, the trolls that were just raised will replace them. Blackstone is to begin construction of a Granary, tell them to relay the message."

*With that, I began to call for Nexiss, except he already entered the room. Bloody hell, that elf was both awesome and scary.*

Nexiss: "The Stables are almost finished. What should the next project be, mylord?"

*Well, the large patrolling army did keep the natural seething anger of the Dark Elves in check. Or at least, aimed at something other than me. However, worship was even better than a void of hate*

"A temple. More towards me can not go bad."
-
The JJ: "Sprites my lord!"

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Copper8642/Master%20of%20Magic/MoreSprites.png

*This time, The JJ had a valid excuse to stay back, as he could not reach the elusive creatures. The Draconian mercenaries on the other hand, which had been sent out to reinforce his group earlier, Barbecued the Sprites in one blaze of flame and blades.*

The JJ: "Woooo! On a roll!"

"Yeah... watching hired soldiers kill sprites... exciting..."
-
Smiling K: "The game is too resilient sir. The hunt is going to need to be postponed."

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Copper8642/Master%20of%20Magic/TrollCity.png

*After sending The JJ back to defend Headache, Smiling K was sent with Nightblades and Ghouls to try and bring some final Death Trolls under our power before ravaging the city. Instead of fighting a futile battle, however, the army immediately withdrew. However, while we approached the city, a single unit of Troll Halberdiers was noticed trying to sneak around and hit our home city. They were quickly hunted a killed*

Smiling K: "This is a consolation to my bow. It's felt so unappreciated. Now it's happy."

"That's... good to know."

Copper8642
2010-01-24, 02:46 PM
Hmm... does the general idea that double posting is bad hold true even if you're updating something? I'd assume no...
-
Solka: "Truly, lord? An entire University?"

"Yes, to train the Sages. As well as other useful professions, but as it pertains to you, Sages."

Solka: "Excellent. Maybe if I have spare time not devoted to research I could study subjects not pertaining to my magic."

*He walked away mumbling something about "warfare.... poison....." I forcibly ignored it and turned to Nexiss.*

Nexiss: "Sire?"

*Business as usual commenced.*
-
*It became apparent that until I could come up with a force capable of defeating Phantoms and Giants, Great Wyrms, Arch Angels, or the Troll city, not much would be accomplished. In the following time period, the University was finished, and a Guild of Mechanicians were allowed to form. Blackstone also progressed slowly. I begun to actually research Drain Magic, without telling Solka. Finally, the new Mechanician's Guild began construction of a Bank.*

"Find Johnny, even if he has an excuse not to come see me."

Nexiss: "Right away, lord."

Johnny: "...... before we begin this, I need to inform you that I'll need an exit from your tower that's not the front gates. There are some Elves out there waiting for me with some knives, a sack of grain, 3 horned skulls, a barrel, and some small animal , and I don't want to know what they've got planned."

"Yes, of course. I only called you in to let you know that I'm ordering the construction of a Bank. It's going to hold the new treasury, as well, and that's where you will being any collected taxes once the Bank is finished."

*His eyes showed a calculating mind as he took this in.*

Johnny: "Yes... yes sir. Soo.... if I no longer have to enter this tower at all.... am I still under your protection?"

"Yes of course."

*Maybe.*
-
*The Sorcery Node apparently has been volatile recently, and spit out some Phantom Warriors at Blackstone.*

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Copper8642/PhantomAttack.png

*They met the standing guard...

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Copper8642/Phantombattle.png

...and were immediately torn apart by magic blasts. Because of the Dark Elven innate control of magic, these phantom creatures are barely worth considering. However, to many of the other races, their ability to ignore armor makes large numbers of them dangerous opponents. Hearing about 2 units taking on such a large group slightly raised our renown. And as the Dark Elven leader, that directly influenced my renown. Which slightly piqued my curiosity in what the world thought of me.*

"Damnit, where's that mirror..."
-
My fame is up to 11, to give you an idea. Go to town with it.

MickJay
2010-01-24, 03:38 PM
Good show! :smallbiggrin:

dsmiles
2010-01-25, 03:21 AM
Out-freakin'-standing. I love this stuff, keep it comin'.

Inspired by this thread, I started my own MoM game (Dark Elves, Death/Sorcery, and Infernal Mastery). Thanks, High Lord Copper!

:smallbiggrin:

Eldariel
2010-01-25, 09:15 AM
*On the Obsidian surface of the mirror, waves ripple before Copper's image appears. It first seems like a mere image until its mouth opens*

"Like a Djinn I come as called... Sorry, I guess you death mage wouldn't even know what a Djinn is. It's a creature of...ah, nevermind, youbody don't even care. I hear a lot of words in the AEther and you shall know what I do. You...I...little difference. I am you, just...a different you scouring the astral winds instead of the hard rock mortals are so fond of."

*the face flows into a slight smirk*

"And we are looking lovely today! There's talk...talk in the world about the crazy, brave man leading a band of Dark Elves and still being alive. Quite the name you...I...have acquired! You have heard of some heroes of quite some renown considering your cause...if you have the gold in your purse. Just a nudge."

"But they wonder...why, why has he not ordered new cities to be built? Why does he not wish to expand his power source, the Elves? But we know why." *the smirk turns into a slight grin* "Imagine if they rebelled, indeed... The horror! The blades in the back, the Warlocks challenging his authority! But they wonder, they wonder. Maybe you...I should overcome my fears?"

"Oh, and there's talk of 4 other Wizards in the world. They have the makings of an empire already. I'll try to catch their image and see if we could patch you through. I'm sure the conversations would be amusing!"

Copper8642
2010-01-25, 04:58 PM
"Only 4 left? Holy crap, what kind of genocide happened?!? Or... 4 powerful wizards with empires? Right. Um... nevermind. And I... you... am not... aren't... damnit, I'm me, you're you! The Elves... I guess expansion is going to be necessary soon enough. Especially if I have competition."

*The one colony was enough... And I can't even think about trying to keep those Trolls under control if I don't raze the city once I take them. So I'm going to have to let some Elves settle elsewhere. Expand.... gah.

Stupid mirror had to go and bring unfortunate truths to the front of my mind. I hate me... it...*

Eldariel
2010-01-25, 05:16 PM
"Oh, there are more Wizards alright. Wandering mercenaries (that Aerie-fellow knows his craft, but only works for the truly famous), scholars, warmages... But four, only four, have decided (or been chosen to by others, as here; I wonder what truly happened) to actually raise up an empire to decipher and empower Spell of Mastery. You know the one. Not a spell, the spell. The..."

*the apparation falls silent*

So, the cat is out of the bag.

MickJay
2010-01-25, 05:54 PM
[Aerie seems to be female, judging from the silhouette that appears when she's summoned by SC spell] :smallwink:

Eldariel
2010-01-25, 05:56 PM
[Aerie seems to be female, judging from the silhouette that appears when she's summoned by SC spell] :smallwink:

That's...fully possible. Sex isn't a mirror's expertise tho. Except for the really blatant cases like Sharee.

Copper8642
2010-01-26, 06:31 PM
"Disenchanting. If the mirror is write, I'm going to need some more disenchanting capabilities. Nexiss, tell Solka that Disenchant Area is his next project!"

Nexiss: "Sir, he's currently inspecting the capabilities of the newly finished Alchemist Guild. May I assume that he has been given freedom to use it in pursuit of any arcane or intellectual pursuits?"

"Yes, he has. It keeps him busy."

Nexiss: "The next option after the construction of the Alchemist's Guild is a Warlock Tower."

*Heehhhhhh.... This will be a problem. An entire guild of homicidal destructoyers. But... they'll definitely kill Trolls, and it's going to be questioned why I don't build one if I can. The Elves have probably been awaiting it's construction since I became king.*

"Not yet, Nexiss. The Animist's Guild. That is what I want built. We're currently running a deficit, and the extra food will hopefully bring in money."

Nexiss: "Yes, my lord!"
-
*In this time, Blackstone began and finished a Farmer's Market, and began construction of a Sawmill. The standing guard, who were long since respected veterans of defense, killed a raid by a horde of bears. Now that this settlement was steady, it was time for another.*
-
"After a troop of Halberdiers is ready to defend them, gather settlers for the next outpost. We're going to spread across the continent."

Nexiss: "With pleasure, my lord. This continent is rightfully ours, nothing on Myrror can stop our expansion and rule!"

*Nexiss never talked with such excitement. These domination was a serious source of pride and joy for Dark Elves. One of the only sources.*
-
Nexiss: The Settlers have set out, and the Parthenon has begun. The Elves expect you to be there when the construction finishes, as the object of their praise. At his greatest altar, he will be worshiped."

"Tell Solka that his next area of study will be Flame Blade. I think he'll enjoy something like that..."

*Bloody hell, a public appearance.*

Nexiss: "...Settlers.... name...."

*I guess I knew this had to happen at some point.*

Nexiss: "Outpost.... called...."

"Bloody hell! I guess this is it..."

Nexiss: "Yes, my lord."

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Copper8642/Master%20of%20Magic/Update7.png
Bloody Hell in all of it's glory.
-
Smiling K: "Cats in the basket!"

*Which was that.... right, new trolls raised from the dead. Why did she start speaking in code, dammit!? We're talking through scry. No troll is going to listen in... crazy archer.*

Eldariel
2010-01-29, 11:36 PM
You want to beat MOM the HARD way instead? Rather than specializing in White, Black, Red, Green, or Blue magic... play a GRAY mage: A Famous, Charismatic, Myrran Channeler Artificer Warlord. No spells but the basic (and fairly useless) Arcane spells, and anything your heroes happen to know on their own. Ow. Note you have to look in on your Apprentice on your first turn, or the game crashes (probably from not seeing ANY spells).

On a completely random note, I just tried this (with Alchemist over Charismatic). First attempt went to all hell; played Myrran High Men and some fcker cast Armageddon around turn 50 or so when I was just starting to get people into my auxillary cities, which put my unrest so high that even at 0 taxes, there were barely any workers in my new cities.

Second playthrough, I decided to actually use a Myrran race and managed to win with Dark Elves through Conquest at 6837 points. Every opposing Wizard managed to start Spell of Mastery, but none (obviously) managed to finish it. Unfortunately, as Raven had cast Suppress Magic, none of them were coming back for extra points cutting into my point total quite severely.

dsmiles
2010-01-30, 08:02 AM
On a similar random note, my conquest of Myrror is going well with my Death/Sorc Dark Elves. The great part is, every time I take a node, I find a "retort of X." These are awesome!

On another note, do you guys pronounce ir Myrror (Mir-ror), or Myrror (Mir-roar)?

Cespenar
2010-01-30, 09:40 AM
On a completely random note, I just tried this (with Alchemist over Charismatic). First attempt went to all hell; played Myrran High Men and some fcker cast Armageddon around turn 50 or so when I was just starting to get people into my auxillary cities, which put my unrest so high that even at 0 taxes, there were barely any workers in my new cities.

Second playthrough, I decided to actually use a Myrran race and managed to win with Dark Elves through Conquest at 6837 points. Every opposing Wizard managed to start Spell of Mastery, but none (obviously) managed to finish it. Unfortunately, as Raven had cast Suppress Magic, none of them were coming back for extra points cutting into my point total quite severely.

Huh, this sounds fun. I might as well get to it too.

Eldariel
2010-01-30, 10:45 AM
Huh, this sounds fun. I might as well get to it too.

It is. Starting with 0 casting skill is kinda bummer, but at least it grows fast as hell in the start. I ended the game with over 300 (and infinite gold & mana from conquest). But magic is still surprisingly useful; Magic Spirits are as awesome scouts as ever and you have access to researching Summon Champion right off the bat with Create Artifact already on your spell list, and can trade for most Arcane spells simply because others have researched 'em but lack the X Artifact-spells.

My gameplan was just to build up, get couple of Magic Spirits to scout, build some extra cities and start crafting Artifacts for my future heroes with Nightblades and Warlocks forming the bulk of my army (oh yeah, and I summoned a Champion at some point). The one mistake I did in the beginning was spending my money too aggressively meaning it took me a while to get heroes in spite of Famous (need money in the purse for heroes to appear). Also, Crack's Call is the most annoying spell ever, especially when you get Magic Immunity to all your heroes, but not a single fax of flight. Of course, I ended up with 3 Nature AI Wizards :smallannoyed: I mostly just ran through their cities with Aerie, Nightblades, Warlocks & Paladins (after I conquered my first High Men cities).

EDIT: Oh yeah, I found one Death-book in a relatively easy Tower (some Stone Giants and something) but loaded to keep the run pure. It makes for a nice rule to enforce; no picking up books (so save whenever you're about to raid a Tower/Node/Whatever).

Cespenar
2010-01-30, 05:55 PM
Actually, I might ditch Myrran as well, if that would be possible. Myrran games tend to fall into the same pattern, and I don't suppose the absence of spellbooks would make much of a difference. Starting in Arcanus is the real difficulty factor, in my opinion.

Oslecamo
2010-01-30, 06:15 PM
Actually, I might ditch Myrran as well, if that would be possible. Myrran games tend to fall into the same pattern, and I don't suppose the absence of spellbooks would make much of a difference. Starting in Arcanus is the real difficulty factor, in my opinion.

Dunno about you, but when I play impossible in mirror, holding off not only troll halberdier riders but phantom beasts raiders and at some point freaking air elemental raiders is quite a challenge.

In the impossible game I'm right now, I already killed three wizards. The first one was pretty tough. Nature specialization. Capital protected by 3 land wyrms, 6 stone giants and their master spamming crack's call at every oportunity. He was sending stacks of paladins and basiliks to attack me.

Untill I discovered the nice little combo of nightblade+magic vortex. Luckily my oponent didn't leave paladins at defense, so one single nightblade unit took his strongest cities.

Next two wizards were a disapointment. For some obscure reason, they had not expanded at all, so they had just three cities and even with impossible bonus their armies and magic did not hold.

The last wizard is proving quite a challenge to make up for it. The death+chaos one. Nightblades and warlocks get slaughtered by his area nukes whenever we fight.

Oh, but you didn't get the best part.

His army is mostly composed of slingers!

Yes, I'm fighting an army of dark chaotic evil halflings!

Wich slaughter even my paladins, wich are the only thing that survives from his area nukes when I attack.

On the other hand, since I conquered most of Myrror and half Arcanus, I can actualy afford to keep spamming pallies to take the place of the fallen ones. Heck, I even have some floating islands working at full time to carry them across the sea.

So what do you think? Should I bother playing slowly carefully and try to minimize losses, or see if I can make a zerg rush with one of the most expensive units of the game?

tribble
2010-01-30, 06:26 PM
For those who don't play MoM, what is the maximum fame?

EDIT: Suppress his magic, and see if you can get ahold of a hero that's immune to missles.

Cespenar
2010-01-30, 06:33 PM
Well, considering it's very late game, your heroes should be pretty experienced by now. I can't see why you couldn't load them with buffs & artifacts and just storm the capital. I beat more than half of the games with that same way.

If you wouldn't prefer that, you could load your Paladins with appropriate buffs and try to match them in "fair" combat. Invulnerability for the slingers, Magic Immunity for the blasting, Endurance on your Paladins so that they could reach those slingers faster, etc.

It really depends on your spellbooks, but there's a myriad of options.

Oslecamo
2010-01-30, 07:30 PM
Well, considering it's very late game, your heroes should be pretty experienced by now. I can't see why you couldn't load them with buffs & artifacts and just storm the capital. I beat more than half of the games with that same way.

My super heros are in route, but even with movement buffs they'll need their time to reach the capital, wich is in an island protected by something like three layers of cities and several patroling troops. The paladins and the producing cities are more at hand right now, now that I can afford to keep my train of floating islands to quickly move them across the sea that kept us apart.

Also, my heros have some trouble dealing with air units, and the last wizard also has a touch of blue magic and keeps buffing his dudes with flying.

If you wouldn't prefer that, you could load your Paladins with appropriate buffs and try to match them in "fair" combat. Invulnerability for the slingers, Magic Immunity for the blasting, Endurance on your Paladins so that they could reach those slingers faster, etc.

Pallies are already naturaly magic immune, one of the main reasons they're considered the supreme buildable unit. I have no white magic, main chaos and picked up some random sorcery books. Closest thing I have to a defensive spell is guardian wind.

Wich just means that I enter battle, and the other dude casts dispel area and takes all my flame blades and eldritch weapons and whatnot down. Really, it's quite frustating to keep several turns buffing my troops, and then see it all go down in a single turn when I attack. And no, I can't really hope to drain his mana out in impossible mode.

I am however sucessfully assembling an army of chaos champions, aka chaos channeled elite paladins, 2/3 of wich have either fire breath or flying for anti-air purposes and the remaining ones have enough toughness to eat bullets for breakfast. Guess they'll do the job.

Cespenar
2010-01-30, 08:12 PM
Well, you can always fight fire with fire, meaning you can blast their slingers with chaos magic or dispel their flight with Disenchant Area. But again, I find that hero focus (even without flight) is a much better bet, since their artifacts can't be dispelled and all.

And one more time I should repeat the most important point: surgical operation. You really don't need to fight that unnecessary %95 part of army they have.

Yeah, Chaos Channel is a nice touch to deal with flight, by the way.

Eldariel
2010-01-30, 08:34 PM
So what do you think? Should I bother playing slowly carefully and try to minimize losses, or see if I can make a zerg rush with one of the most expensive units of the game?

What magic do you have access to exactly? Generally, magic offers easy solution to everything. Sorcery in particular; Flight, Magic Immunity, Spell Lock (best spell ever), Countermagic, etc. And umm, Magic Immune Great Drakes? Those usually work, particularly if you have a caster hero or two (Invisible, preferably) and Warp Wood all the defending projectile users. Other than that, heroes (you got Recall Hero? That's handy for moving people to the surrounding towns quickly with your Summoning Circle) are of course the easiest solution.

I can't really see how an army of Nightblades ('cause they can't be targeted by spells and you can just counter/dispel whatever else he throws at you) would have any trouble slaughtering that, nor an army of Paladins. Alternatively, pick up Warlocks, make 'em all Invisible and go to town. I assume you don't have access to higher level Sorceries like Mass Invisibility?

Of course, one simple solution is using Fire Storm on the city a dozen times before hitting to weaken the defenders a bit. And of course, Lightning Bolt works extremely well against the crap computer is so fond of.

I'd probably start taking out the surrounding cities. Prolly with a Windwalking hero to avoid the hazzle of boats.

Copper8642
2010-01-30, 09:34 PM
I'm still here! I was having DosBOX issues, and I thought I posted something about that... which apparently I didn't. So that's the 4 day silence. However, I did get it to work (honestly I don't know how, it started working again when I obstinately tried to start it up the normal way for the umpteenth time). I also am away for the weekend with my step-dad's laptop. So it still may be another two or three days before an update. But I'm not dead! Nor is the LP!

Also, I try not to purposefully make challenge games, like a gray wizard. Sure, it's fun, but I feel less immersed as a wizard and more like I'm specifically messing with mechanics in a game. I just try to change up my games a bit, and give each game a theme. But no specific rules or challenges.

Eldariel
2010-01-30, 09:38 PM
Also, I try not to purposefully make challenge games, like a gray wizard. Sure, it's fun, but I feel less immersed as a wizard and more like I'm specifically messing with mechanics in a game. I just try to change up my games a bit, and give each game a theme. But no specific rules or challenges.

I grew quite a dislike for Challenge-games on this run too; much of the fun of the game to me is slinging spells and being a Wizard and when that's taken out of the game...meh, ain't the same. Though don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have played the Grey Wizard had it not been fun. I especially got to feel like an Artificer, spending most of my time making items. That was quite awesome. And having to rely on my heroes for spellcasting certainly gave them even more weight than previously.

But still, lacking access to all the interesting item abilities and actual spells is a bit of a bore. Especially since AI Crack's Calls on your heroes all the time and there's not a damn thing you can do about it (except hope you get Aerie or some flight-granting item). Was fun, but prolly not doing it again :smallwink:

MickJay
2010-01-31, 05:46 AM
I can't really see how an army of Nightblades ('cause they can't be targeted by spells and you can just counter/dispel whatever else he throws at you) would have any trouble slaughtering that, nor an army of Paladins. Alternatively, pick up Warlocks, make 'em all Invisible and go to town. I assume you don't have access to higher level Sorceries like Mass Invisibility?

Oslecamo mentioned area nukes, spells like Flame Strike or Wrack affect all units, including invisible ones.

Oslecamo
2010-01-31, 06:22 AM
What magic do you have access to exactly? Generally, magic offers easy solution to everything. Sorcery in particular; Flight, Magic Immunity, Spell Lock (best spell ever), Countermagic, etc. And umm, Magic Immune Great Drakes? Those usually work, particularly if you have a caster hero or two (Invisible, preferably) and Warp Wood all the defending projectile users. Other than that, heroes (you got Recall Hero? That's handy for moving people to the surrounding towns quickly with your Summoning Circle) are of course the easiest solution.

I have 6 chaos books, wich aren't really known for his defensive buffs, and picked up one sorcery book, wich did not give me invisibility. Also the best high level chaos spell I got was call the void. No hydras or firestorm or great drakes or armagedon. Meh, guess I can always just nuke his cities from afar and then walk in and kill whatever's left.

Nightblades aren't immune to area spells, and counter magic can and will be overpowered by high level area spells. Paladins will get serious casualities against slingers when charging, and then he buffs them up with fly when I close in.

Of course, one simple solution is using Fire Storm on the city a dozen times before hitting to weaken the defenders a bit. And of course, Lightning Bolt works extremely well against the crap computer is so fond of.

Meh, guess that's what I'll do, but with call the void instead of firestorm, since firestorm can be stoped by nightshade more easily, and lucky halflings seem to be incredibly resilient to damage.

One fun combo I learned was paladins+call chaos on 1st turn. Pallies won't be hit by it's effects, and chances are that the enemy will take more nasty effects than benefetical ones.

Cespenar
2010-01-31, 09:12 AM
If your Paladins can't reach the slingers in, say, 1-2 rounds, it may be better (didn't really do the math, but anyway) to stay far away and let them run out of ammo while they suffer from some nice range penalties.

Eldariel
2010-01-31, 09:59 AM
Nightblades aren't immune to area spells, and counter magic can and will be overpowered by high level area spells. Paladins will get serious casualities against slingers when charging, and then he buffs them up with fly when I close in.

You can just Dispel them every time they're cast. IIRC, there's something about constant AoE spells that if they're cast after Dispelled, they don't seem to take an effect the turn after so you can just keep Dispelling. Did you get True Disenchant? With that, keeping up with their spells would be easy. And Maximized Countermagic should at least counter a spell or two making it easier to match up their magic in speed. Mostly for hitting the HQ, obviously, as against slingers you've got better things to do.

Also, it's worth considering an army of Warlocks. While most will die to the slingers, the remaining ones can each Doombolt that kills a Slinger-group each (unless they're Ultra Elite) and you can kill one with a spell too meaning you can quickly dig into the slinger ranks. Which specific AoE spells is the AI using? Would help to know.

Copper8642
2010-02-01, 09:48 PM
Smiling K: "The shop is closed but the chair is standing!"

"Don't worry, I'm sending Ghouls and Halberdiers to help. Send the Nightblades to Headache, they're more useful as defensive troops anyways."

Smiling K: "Yes sir!"

*Strange communicator. Able commander. Beggars can't be choosers*
-
Nexiss: "My lord, the Elves are gathered at the Parthenon. They wait for their pantheon of gods to appear. Their one man pantheon."

*One Man Pantheon had a ring to it. Being the sole god of a race of killers almost lived up to the nice ring the job description provided, until they wanted to meet face to face.*

Nexiss: "The Guard is ready. I'll be waiting outside."

"Um.... where's the guard?"

Disembodied Voice: "Nightblades, at your service, my lord. We're eager to serve. Please."

"You sound so anxious to defend me... but you won't show yourselves?"

Disembodied Voice: "Lord... oh, how do I say this... Have you seen our brothers and sisters out there?! The vast majority of your followers are insane homicidal maniacs!! Only... too controlled to be maniacs! It's unnerving! Becoming a Nightblade is a way of hiding. It's safety. Most elves respect us because, well, Nightblades have always been a respect part of Dark Elven society. The reason they don't all try to join is because they feel no need to, invisibility isn't actually too practical when all you need to mask is intention and evidence. Those who are loyal to the Dark Elf cause... but don't agree with Dark Elf life... we are the Nightblades. And we will protect you."

*My bodyguards are as cowardly as I am. Safety assured. I can't argue with their respect and abilities though, and knowledge that I'm being protected by a respected warrior group probably does mean I'm safe. That and my near godhood. This is it. This can be done.*

"AAAAAIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

*The first bloodcurdling scream as I walked outdoors was no less wrenching than the usual scream. No doubt some sort of sacrifice to their lord. To boost my confidence further, none of the Dark Elves would actually get very close to me, staying to the side of the streets as I walked down the middle. Must be a sign of respect. I hope. The steps of the Parthenon were kept bare of Elves, who stayed on the ground. At this point I noticed the city was in silence. In all of their dark dealings and bloody lives... these elves truly and utterly revered me. I could work with this.*

"FLAMES!"

*With that, fire streaked from my hands and swirled around the Parthenon. The population of Headache erupted into a roar, and magic began to streak and swirl across the sky with mine. They obviously respected a show of magical prowess. However, their own actions stole my show. As the minutes went on, I heard chants, watched the swirling mass of Dark Elven bodies, accepted praise, and for once, the city of Elves seemed to be unified, all plotting and raging kept in check by sheer reverence.*

"DISPERSE!"

*As I raised my arms and gave the command that it was over, the streets quickly cleared of elves. The first thing I noticed was the the ground was covered in bodies. As I headed back to my tower, it became clear the streets were slick with blood. Solka had stayed, and was following me.*

Solka: "Quite the celebration. It's rare in this city. Even with the interruption in my work... I feel it was right."

*Discreet murder and secret plans are the daily happenings for these elves. I should've guessed celebration just meant public enacting of these same things. Back to the tower.*
-
Smiling K: "Attack!"

*Why couldn't she be that direct when talking to me?*

Smiling K: "Fire!"

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Copper8642/Master%20of%20Magic/Win1.png

*For once, the magical blasts of the elves were effective against the trolls. These Halberdiers were trained. What was surprising, however, was that Smiling K dropped about as many trolls with a bow and arrow as three units of Halberdiers did together.

Wait... wow. That's actually insane. She never gets complained about again.*

Smiling K: "Hold.... Hold.... break!"

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Copper8642/Master%20of%20Magic/Win2.png

*The mix of undead trolls, Elves, and Ghouls got stuck in with the enemy Trolls, and it was spectacular. Finally confident and trained, and filled with either a magically fed unearthly determination to kill, or... well, the Elves felt the same way, minus the magically fed part, they tore into the Trollish defense. However, the Trolls were as deadly as before.*

Smiling K: "Lord, all the Elves have been cut down, killing in your name. I can't assure a victory with my remaining forces!"

*Expending some of my magic, the trolls were quickly set upon by living flame. Finally, the town was mine. To raze.*

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Copper8642/Master%20of%20Magic/Win3.png

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Copper8642/Master%20of%20Magic/Win4.png

Smiling K: "The Elves ate poorly, but great sport is loved by all."

*Aaaannnndddd back to the code. The elven part of the force may have fallen... as did the Ghouls.... but more trolls were raised after the fight. And no more trolls would be coming to bother me. Major victory number one!*

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Copper8642/Master%20of%20Magic/Win5.png

abb3w
2010-02-02, 06:47 PM
And no more trolls would be coming to bother me.

Now why does that have the sound of tempting fate...?

Catwalk
2010-06-04, 10:25 AM
I'd like to invite you all to come visit dragonsword.com, a fairly new site which aims to gather the MoM community and offers a few interesting features for diehard fans:
- A project to create a new patch which will improve the AI + interface and fix a large number of bugs. A functional version with much of this implemented is available for download.
- A project to create an extensive mod, rebalancing most aspects of the game: Units, monsters, heroes, buildings, spells are the main focus areas.
- An active forum with lively discussions
- Collection of MoM resources, including some fairly new editors which let you edit the game parameters
- A currently running tournament where all contestants have the same starting conditions, but allowing each player to customize their wizard according to a new cost system

Hope to see some of you there! I'll post my own game report for the tournament once I have it typed up.

Catwalk
2010-06-06, 01:07 PM
This is a game report for a tournament at another site. Not all pictures have been uploaded yet.

http://i46.tinypic.com/1zzid6a.jpg
I start investing in skill to get enough to cast Black Sleep in combat, which will be my second research choice after Just Cause. My swordsmen go off exploring, dwarves are sturdy little buggers, the two together can most likely take a neutral city with ease if one is nearby. I start producing a granary.
http://i46.tinypic.com/o70cxj.jpg
I discover a small peninsula to the east

Just Cause
Invest in skill
Explore
Granary
Peninsula east
Hell Hounds west, don't investigate yet
Marketplace
Many zombies west
Advisor tells me there's a city to the west
City has 5 high men cavalry, not good news. I retreat with my swordsmen after finishing immediate exploration efforts.
Several good city sites found
Housing to pop 6 -> Shrine -> Library -> Sawmill -> Sages Guild
http://i49.tinypic.com/20rqzqe.jpg
Oh ****... 6 cavalry charging my 2 veteran dwarf swordsmen :( Going to send one swordsmen against them, do damage until it's almost dead and then retreat. Hopefully it'll live so I can continue doing this. And hopefully kyrub didn't fix the bug that keeps the AI in place :P If he did, I'm dead now. Also rush building a unit of dwarf swordsmen. From scratch. Costing me 180 :(
http://i47.tinypic.com/v5vqli.jpg
Yay, kyrub didn't fix the bug yet and I'm still alive! Now I have 3 swordsmen against 6 recruit cavalry, 3 of which I wounded pretty good. I'm going to do another raid and build another unit of swordsmen at normal speed (only takes 2 turns). Took out two wounded cavalry units this time and escaped again! I do another raid next turn to play it safe. Sadly, my unit of veteran swordsmen succumbs after taking out two full cavalry units. The rate this is going I can take out 6 cavalry units comfortably with 4 swordsmen if I want to take that pesky high men city soon. I decide to go for it, as my production is high enough to churn out swordsmen rapidly now.

Just Cause -> Black Sleep

I send 5 swordsmen to wipe out the hell hounds and take the human city Cantebury. I'll wait with the zombies, my swordsmen are roughly the same strength as zombies and I don't want to lose a bunch in case there are 6+. One unit of swordsmen will hit by the time I invade Cantebury. Meanwhile I'm building settlers in Copy Cats, will build two settlers before teching for magical weapons and hammerhands.
http://i49.tinypic.com/24y8s4l.jpg
...and then two units of phantom warriors decide to come pay me a visit. Seems like it's the turn 50-trigger that sent them at me :P I'm just going to let them invade me and hope they won't burn the whole place down, this game is a disaster so far.
http://i45.tinypic.com/2ps4luf.jpg
Yay, I live! They didn't even destroy any buildings, although the gold loss sucks. What sucks worse is that I could have turned it into mana, as I need a bunch of mana for the Just Cause spell I'm busy casting.
http://i50.tinypic.com/slkzgn.jpg
Cantebury is well defended... I can't even cast Black Sleep yet, only got a casting skill of 12 with my pathetic power base of 5. I'll charge boldly! I figure I'll lose 2-3 swordsmen, which will be well worth it. Sucks that I didn't bring just one more unit, could probably take the city without casualties if I had another.
http://i50.tinypic.com/2rpr59u.jpg
They're all regulars, this looks tough. I'll move to the right, hoping that their left units will step on each other's feet enough to delay them a bit. I need to use suppression tactics here to win, they have a pretty big impact on units without a bonus to hit.
http://i49.tinypic.com/awc6m8.jpg
Bloody AI cleverly regroups, denying me the opportunity to snag the two front cavalry units. I'll keep bravely advancing backwards to the right.
http://i47.tinypic.com/68y6xg.jpg
This is interesting, the AI moved left for some reason. They have fewer units threatening me now, but will also face fewer attacks by me this turn. I think this gives me a small edge, as their 3 rear units can't even tough me next turn.
http://i48.tinypic.com/nwd7de.jpg
I sacrificed a damaged front unit by moving it bottom left, this succesfully lured the foolish cavalry down there. In the meantime, I can pick them off a few at a time. My elite swordsmen are highly effective, I think I'll win this with just two units lost.
http://i48.tinypic.com/vzv9fd.jpg
Victory! 2 units lost as predicted, my elite swordsmen survived and another is at 39 exp. I'll leave the swordsmen here as garrison and supplement with a unit of high men spearmen, then build another garrison force back home in Copy Cats. I raze the armoury in Cantebury as I'm not planning on using it anytime soon. Cantebury is quite the backwater town, pathetic compared with the glory of Copy Cats. Still, they may prove to be a useful servant race as they are able to supply me with dirt cheap garrison units. Even if it can't grow further, it starts out with a pop of 7 and has both a granary and a library. I might also go for some cheap settlers to settle the less desirable locations.
http://i46.tinypic.com/p38eg.jpg
November 1404 (I've completely forgotten to keep track of time): Our cause is just! We can now go subjugate alien races without compromising our ethics, the magics say so. Apparently I took a screenshot of having to refuse Shuri at this point, rather than casting Just Cause.
http://i50.tinypic.com/2ibmech.jpg
Another unit of settlers has been completed, I'm sending it south to check out the game down there and hopefully found a decent city. War Bears hits and I start summoning one, will be using it to explore with solo at first.

Farmer's Market done in Cantebury, built a unit of spearmen to free up some dwarf swordsmen for further exploration. Will be putting out cheap settlers here to settle the less hospitable spots while my more capable dwarves get the lucrative ones. Summoned a unit of war bears and grew my first dwarf outpost to size 2 in October 1405. Also started a new dwarf outpost to the south, not in a very good position. Finishing up on Temple in Copy Cats, will get Forester's and Miner's Guilds as well before teching up to hammerhands and Alchemist's Guild. Endurance hits the year after and I start on Dispel Magic since Summon Hero is not yet available.

I've explored my starting continent and found no other neutral cities. There's a bunch of easy lairs, so I'll grab all the available land straight away, and start gearing up for killer stacks in maybe 5 years.
http://i49.tinypic.com/j8h89z.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/3134qpv.jpg
December 1406: Merlin conquers the tower and drops by to say hi. His troops don't stay at the tower, so I'm going to rush through and see if I can get a foothold there quickly.
http://i50.tinypic.com/14xgrvn.jpg
Merlin's fortress discovered, quite weakly defended. But my forces are weak, I can't take advantage of his weakness.

September 1407: Summon Hero hits, I'll be using this one a lot!
http://i46.tinypic.com/2zpv5fk.jpg
December 1407: Exploring the immediate surroundings on Myrror, locating a single spot for my dwarf settlers. His cities are placed horribly, blocking a lot of valuable land.
http://i45.tinypic.com/2ahs3f4.jpg
The north east spot will do nicely, adamantium dwarf troops are unbeatable. I'll pour generous funds into crashing up this settlement at lightning speed. A few turns later I discover that there are unsettled lands to the south on Myrror, I quickly send my settlers there to stake a claim before Merlin spots his oversight. He's supposed to be an expansionist too :P
http://i48.tinypic.com/2rdd936.jpg
May 1408: This is what I'm talking about! In just 16 turns I'll have a full stack of hammerhand veterans with magic weapons + a unit of war bears for pathfinding, ready to kick ass. This game may be salvaged yet, I'm betting I can take on Merlin pretty soon.

November 1408: First settlement planted down south, with 3 gold mines! That'll net me 18 gold per turn. Love dwarves, practically instant return on all investments.

:D :D :D Super Blademaster + Might is awesome, although he might be difficult to keep alive. I'll make sure to keep him away from enemy wizards until he's levelled up considerably. He can help my hammerhands mop up on nearby lairs, time for spring cleaning.

Great find! And I can afford a sandwich too.

September 1409: I spot the western behemoth node being cleared. Should I go after the node or his fortress? Or build up some more? I can't just seal off the tower, as I have budding settlements on myrror. I decide to go for the throat! However, I can probably take the node without him declaring war. So I'll grab the node first, then his fortress. Hammerhands will be pouring in to assist my assault, Merlin is going down. Hmm, he just cancelled our wizard pact because I keep checking out his cities :) Time to speed up my plans.

Splitting up my armies, two hammerhands and Fang going to the node and the others going for the tower. I don't have Endurance on all yet, breaking off with a small group will allow me to speed up considerably. I'm running low on funds, even though I'm pulling in 123 gold per turn. My new settlements are extremely thirsty for gold to get up and running in a hurry, and my mana expenses alone amount to 66 gold per turn. It's important to remember that even dwarves run out of cash at some point. My settlements are growing fast now, I expect my economy to be booming within a year.

DUN DUN DUN. Hammerhands are pouring out of my capital headed towards the fortress, and his defenses are still weak. His fortress is defended by giant spiders, completely useless against my hammerhands (and pretty useless in general). From what I can see of his empire, conquering all his cities would likely boost my power base by around 60. With that much power I'd boost my casting skill massively in order to be able to cast Black Sleep and Healing repeatedly in combat.

First skirmish with Merlin at the tower. His first ice bolt took out 2 figures of hammerhands, hardly a threat. I'll make sure to keep Hair Ball away from him, though. Merlin lobbed another Ice Bolt at the same unit to kill another 2 figures and ran out of mana or skill, letting me win the battle easily without casualties. Merlin is now tense... I decide to ease up on the spellcasting for a while, giving preference to development of settlements.

Someone is being testy... The AI does seem to react a lot more rationally with the patch, kudos to kyrub. He seems to have casting skill of 100, sufficient for two max strength ice bolts.

Freya feels like barging into Hair Ball who's just razed a klackon village to the ground. Fortunately, I have Recall Hero. She's offering to trade me either Holy Weapon or Holy Armour for Just Cause. It's tempting, but I'll hold out for a bit hoping for something better. And I'm already busy casting Endurance on my hammerhands, I don't have mana to spare. My economy is also struggling to keep up, spending 40 mana per turn eats up over half my income.

Hair Ball has found a large, rich island to the north east which I need to go colonize. I still haven't finished colonizing my starting island, and there's plenty space on Myrror as well. Dwarves don't expand that well, 150 production per settler stings even with the econ bonuses they get. I stand poised to attack the node and two of Merlin's cities, I'm hoping to catch him on low mana to reduce the damage done. Maybe I'm waiting too long, I can win easily even with 2 large ice bolts thrown at me.

I decide to go for it, no point in waiting. My casualties will be minor and he'll bleed some mana. He's no tactical mastermind:
kyrub, fix! I lose two units of swordsmen, facing 2 doom drakes + 2 war bears + 2 draconians. He keeps casting Healing and Heroism all combat, failing well over half.
I take on Merlin head first, crushing the puny doom drake defenses of one of his bigger cities without losing a single unit. The spoils of war are generous, 450 gold and a very useful city:
It even has an animist's guild for healing and food production. And it gives me a whooping 20 power! This doubles my power base from 19 to 39. This game is going to pick up speed fast now :)
Random mana short, shouldn't give me much trouble. If anything, it might even help me as my economy is based on gold rather than mana. With a little luck, Merlin is struggling now. And his fortress is struggling big time:
Still defending with giant spiders... Really need to improve the AI's troop selection algorithms somehow. Either that, or balance units better so no choices are as useless as this.
And now he disbanded his giant spiders... I take the city without breaking a sweat, and get Holy Armour + Create Artifact in the ruins. And he's defeated rather than banished, means I can't mooch other spells off of him. I'll swipe all his other cities in a hurry and then crank out some draconian spearmen to explore Myrror in a hurry.
I have a LOT of money now, and substantial armies. Question is what to do with them. Priority lists:
MAGIC
1) Put Endurance on a full stack of hammerhands so they can blitz ahead
2) Get massive casting skill
3) Summon more heroes
4) Enchant my hammerhands with Holy Armour
5) Finish research on Summon Champion and get some kickass heroes (probably won't get them in time to make a difference)

ECONOMY/LOGISTICS
1) Establish a ferry connection to Freya's continent, I'm confident I can take her down immediately after grabbing Merlin's abandoned cities.
2) Find the remaining wizards with Hair Ball (levelling him up on weak lairs and cities in the process)
3) Keep building up my economy to allow for more stacks of hammerhands
4) Build up Dover (my northern human town, size 18 max and currently at size 6 with basic econ built up) to churn out paladins, just in case I run into a really mean chaos wizard
5) Establish a transplanar highway, utilizing the two additional towers I've discovered near Merlin's cities. With a little luck I'll be able to reach most of Arcanus through these, and with myrran roads I can move at lightning speed!

I'm skipping further expansion, I have more than enough economy at this point. Taking neutral cities should be sufficient expansion.
She declares war the turn after I defeat Merlin, cleverly sensing that she's next. But her posturing will be in vain, I doubt she'll be able to put up much more of a fight than Merlin.
Trying to take a small klackon city defended by 4 swordsmen, this happens :/ I was convinced that Hair Ball was invincible and just put him on auto combat. Nothing much happening otherwise, plodding along steadily.
January 1413 stats:
Total upkeep 102
Power base 156
Casting skill 41
Income 393
I'm building up a large task force of Draconian Bowmen (elite + adamantium) as the tower I found only leads to a useless small island. My hammerhands are landlocked, so I've started building triremes in Dover (up north, by the tower).

I'm losing momentum here, further economic development helps me little as I already have the forces I need for victory. Draconians are busy exploring Myrror and some have been sent to Arcanus as well.
Freya attacks! Her troops go down without casualties, though. I only face useless spells.
I'm lazy about building defenders for my draconian cities, so a few zombies razed one.
I conquered Merlin's cities during the mana short, as evidenced by the huge mana hike after it ended. I'm gaining 1-2 casting points per turn now. Not sure if I should enchant my units or summon heroes. I decide to grab a few champions, they're too much fun to pass up.
Turns out this wasn't Freya's main continent after all, time to go hunting.
Time to go lizard hunting as well, just discovered a big draconian city he owns. I might have to approach him with a little more care, he ranks highly on the power chart.
I've had a group of bowmen besiege a lair of great wyrms for a long time, taking out one at a time. My patience pays off handsomely, Archmage is going to help a lot.
Sweet, one of my favourite spells. Not really all that useful for its cost, but I like terraforming.
Not bad at all! I wonder if I'll get any use for him in combat, but this is an excellent mix of skills. Well protected with Constitution + Agility, strong offensive capability with Blademaster + Constitution (even though he only gets 5 mana per level) and Armsmaster can do a lot for my stacks. Time for Magic Spirits and lots of Endurance now.
More time has passed with boring troop movement, and I'm poised to invade Oberic's fortress. My invasion forces consist of 6 hammerhand units and 13 units of elite draconian bowmen with adamantium weapons. His defenses consist of 4 stag beetles, 2 sprites, a unit of orc cavalry, a unit of klackon halberdiers and the Huntress. I decide to go in with all bowmen, should be a walk in the park. My stats as of January 1415 are as follows:
Total upkeep 189 (61 fame lowers it to 128)
Power base 230
Casting skill 97
Income 624
He's using Warp Wood, not a bad idea but it'll probably be too slow to take out just one unit per turn. I have Black Sleep as backup in case I can't kill them fast enough. I do in fact manage to take out his archer hero with Black Sleep first round.
Final battle against Oberic, also easy.
I get Cracks Call and Life Drain.
Final battle against S'ssra shortly after.
58 I get Resurrection and Guardian Spirit. I drained his mana with a few fake attacks before combat in order to get an easier battle and ensure he wouldn't respawn. His ranged units cost me 2 bowmen. I decide to resurrect my trusty Hair Ball!
Riiight.... Just wanted to see if she'd go for it :)
Taking on Freya's fortress, getting Basilisk and Star Fires for my efforts. She starts casting Spell of Return as she had too much mana for me to drain pre-combat.
Trying to take one of Freya's cities with a single unit of hammerhands in order to speed up my victory. I land Black Sleep on two of the basilisks and my hammerhands cream the rest.
Final battle! I decide to give Hair Ball another chance to prove his worth in auto combat, this time with decent magic items.
He's just about to prove himself to be a useless fuzzball once more, but he lives! And it wasn't the final battle after all, I forgot about her northern city. Ninja Cat rushes to the rescue with a small band of archers:
I get Dispel Evil and Stone Skin.
Final score. Forgot to note down the month, I think it's late 1415.

Comments about the game:
- It was risky to go scouting with my first two swordsmen units. It cost me 9 gc per turn for a total of 100 gc or so, and money is tight early on. Obviously, had I found a neutral city I could conquer it would have paid off handsomely.
- My exploration was quite poor, as were my logistics. I could have won a year or two earlier with better map knowledge and troop movement.
- War Bears and Black Sleep did very little for me all game. I should have simply gone for roads instead and not bothered with war bears. Endurance wasn't much use either, it's too expensive to enchant a whole stack. If I were to replay the scenario I'd pass on all 3 of those.
- Economy generally worked out well, but I probably had too much economy focus early on. This delayed my production of hammerhands, which was crucial to securing the game. As soon as I defeated Merlin I cruised on to victory at lightning speed, the extra income from his cities was far superior to that from my expansions. Dwarf settlers at 150 are just too expensive. I fell into the trap of trying to max out my starting island rather than just taking one or two good spots. Going for a single settlement at the coal/river site would have been far more profitable.
- Going for Draconian Bowmen was a really good decision which shaved many years off of my victory date. They had plenty strength for taking on my enemies and flying was (obviously) a major asset in inter-continental warfare. If I didn't have access to adamantium weapons, going for air ships would probably also have worked out decently since the cities were already developed sufficiently.
- I didn't face any counter attacks all game, this was most likely due to me playing with 1.40d which contains a problem with counter attacks. I might have a quick replay without reporting using 1.40c to see if it plays out entirely differently.
- I had a big problem with my weak casting skill most of the game, Archmage would have helped significantly with that. Losing my Nature and Death book for Archmage would probably help a lot.
- Speed construction started getting way boring mid-game, and I just allowed resources to pile up. I'm really looking forward to having this changed in the mod, if it turns out to be possible.
- Reporting was more effort than expected, and it got a lot messier than expected :)
- If I were to go again, I'd go with the following setup:
1x Life (Just Cause)
1x Nature (Earth Lore)
1x Sorcery (Word of Recall)
Archmage
Warlord
Dwarves

Word of Recall, in combination with Summoning Circle, would have been an extremely efficient means of getting my troops where I need them. I'd like spent most of mana all game on this spell, after exploring the world with Earth Lore. Earth Lore would have been invaluable early on, saving me lots of time.