PDA

View Full Version : Shapeshifting Selection

FoE
2010-01-10, 06:29 PM
Let's face it: shapeshifting is a fairly useless super-power outside of fantasy. Sure, the ability to turn into an ostrich or a dung beetle might sound interesting, but how often is that ability going to be useful in everyday life? It gets even worse when you consider all the limitations put on shapeshifters.

Still, there is a certain mystique to the idea. Even though I can't think of a lot of situations where becoming a hippo might be useful, it would be pretty cool. And if there isn't some major drawback to it, what's the harm in having that ability?

My question is this: let's say you had the power to shapeshift, but into only one alternate form. Which animal/insect/reptile would you choose?

1) You can shapeshift back and forth at will.
2) Magic pants (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagicPants) are not in effect, so you will be naked when you shift back to your human form unless you were somehow able to carry your clothes with you. Shapeshifting into an animal larger than yourself like a bear before undressing will result in torn clothing.
3) You will retain your intellegience as an animal/reptile and possess that animal's instincts; if you picked eagle, you would already know how to fly, for example. You cannot communicate with other animals, however.
4) RL creatures only, so we don't all end up picking "dragon".
5) You can't be multiple creatures. You can't pick "bee" and expect to turn into a huge swarm of bees; you get one bee and that's it.

Incidentaly, I pick "cat". It doesn't have a lot of offensive power but it would be fairly useful.

kpenguin
2010-01-10, 06:33 PM
One alternate animal form? That's a pretty narrow definition of shapeshifting, sirrah.

FoE
2010-01-10, 06:34 PM
Well, the point of the thread is to ask which animal you'd become if you could shift into on a regular basis.

As I noted, shapeshifting is generally portrayed in fiction as pretty useless. Either it's got too many restrictions on it or it's never used effectively. I'd rather get one animal form than the "superpower" of turning into a puddle of water or different kinds of balloon animals.

Raging Gene Ray
2010-01-10, 06:37 PM
Can we freely pick life-stages of the form? For example, instead of "Dog," "Adorable little golden retriever puppy?"

Incidentally, I'm torn between cute kitty for stealth and bloodhound for stalking.

What do you mean shapeshifting has no use in RL? I suppose it isn't if you have no voyeuristic mentality.

FoE
2010-01-10, 06:38 PM
Can we freely pick life-stages of the form? For example, instead of "Dog," "Adorable little golden retriever puppy?"

Oh certainly.

Kaelaroth
2010-01-10, 06:43 PM
You haven't excluded humans. They're animals. Right?

I would choose the form a human who is better-looking, more athletic, and with a better-working body than mine, but who is still recognisably me (as if I'd just gotten a lot better-looking over a period of time, as I grew). I would go on holiday. Shape-shift into new form. And return, never to turn back into useless, useless old Kaelaroth ever again. Why would I?

If, however, you're excluding humans, then I would be a bird. Something fast. A red kite, perhaps, or a peregrine falcon. But I am still deeply attracted to the idea of being a housepet animal, one someone could love and adore without ever knowing I'm human truly...

kpenguin
2010-01-10, 06:43 PM
Well, the point of the thread is to ask which animal you'd become if you could shift into on a regular basis.

As I noted, shapeshifting is generally portrayed in fiction as pretty useless. Either it's got too many restrictions on it or it's never used effectively. I'd rather get one animal form than the "superpower" of turning into a puddle of water or different kinds of balloon animals.

Being a fan of Plastic Man, I disagree. :smallamused:

FoE
2010-01-10, 06:44 PM
Super-stretchiness is not the same as shapeshifting.

Boo
2010-01-10, 06:48 PM
I'd rather get one animal form than the "superpower" of turning into different kinds of water puddles...

I've always wondered how that Wonder Twin turned back into himself properly... What if he splattered? He'd be missing part of his arm, wouldn't he? A toe? Something?

Anyway, I'd probably choose a White Saddleback Tamarin (http://homepage.mac.com/wildlifeweb/primate/new/Bicca-Marques/S_f_melanoleucus01.jpg) (monkey).

Or a anthropomorphic wolf so I can be the REAL wolfman. :smalltongue:

@^: Yes it is. It's still shifting your shape.

Sneak
2010-01-10, 07:02 PM
I'd be tempted to say Capuchin monkey...

...but then again, the power of flight is just so tempting. I'm not very knowledgeable about birds, so I dunno which one to pick, though. Probably a large bird of prey.

Dragero
2010-01-10, 07:11 PM
Hmmm...Probably the Jesus Christ Lizard! WALKING ON WATER FTW!!!

raitalin
2010-01-10, 07:11 PM
Yeah, I gotta go bird of prey, perhaps a California Condor. The flight and super-vision would be hella fun. Should be big enough that I can carry around a small pack with a change of clothes and a wallet, so I can travel cheaply and quickly.

Thufir
2010-01-10, 07:16 PM
Cat would be good. Go anywhere, and everyone's all "Aww, look at the cute li'l kitty cat!" so they wouldn't interfere with me.

On the other hand, a tiger would be awesome, but less likely I'd be allowed to roam freely.

The Demented One
2010-01-10, 07:18 PM
The Lunar Exalted would take serious issue with this.

And as for me, octopus. Gotta love the octopus.

Kurien
2010-01-10, 07:19 PM
A bird, preferably a raptor for the coolness factor, with good maneuverablity in the air and the ability to soar at great heights/use thermals. Using thermals is probably the most efficient method of movement, the method some birds use to travel across continents. Basically, a method of transportation. Plus, what human hasn't dreamed of independent true flight? Not to mention as a raptor, my sense of sight will be several times more acute than a human.

What species? Probably an eagle, not a fishing kind, or perhaps a hawk/buzzard. Not a vulture or condor. And an owls' head is not as sleek as a eagle/hawk/falcon.

My only concern as a large bird of prey eagle would be damned trophy hunters who want to shoot me so that they can have me stuffed by a taxadermist :smallyuk:.

Going with what raitalin said, a bird large enough to carry a set of clothes and a wallet. A jumpsuit made of ultralight but strong and thin space material would be best, as it cuts down on weight and bulk. Don't know what I'd do about shoes, though.

Green Bean
2010-01-10, 07:25 PM
Hmm, this is a tricky one. I would want something that would be useful, so it'd have to be somewhat adapted to my environment. Where I live has a pretty broad range of temperatures, so that leaves out creatures built for very warm or very cold temperatures. Also, I'd prefer to be near the top of the food chain, though nothing too big. Unless I'm fighting crime, there's not much use in becoming a bigger animal.

I'd probably go with some kind of owl; stealthy, good night vision, flight, and not too worried about predators. It's a killer combo.

Rainbownaga
2010-01-10, 07:30 PM
I'd probably go with a crow.

Not only because they're cool, but because they're not out of place in most cities like an eagle would be and they're strong enough to manipulate smaller objects.

Perenelle
2010-01-10, 07:37 PM
hhmm.... Probably a red fox. first, they're my favorite animal. Second, they're furry. and third, they're able to get around without being seen. overall they're just awesome.

golentan
2010-01-10, 07:40 PM
I disagree with the premise that shapeshifting is useless. Shapeshifting is an amazingly useful power.

It is a very difficult decision to make. I know you stated RL only, but does that preclude extinct critters? If extinct guys are legal, I think I'd ultimately go with a Dimorphodon. Otherwise, probably a Peregrine Falcon.

MethosH
2010-01-10, 07:41 PM
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/squid-take-down-submarine-2.jpg

or

http://www.toptenz.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/platypus.jpg

thubby
2010-01-10, 07:47 PM
are extinct things acceptable?

probably an albatross if they're as big as i think they are. i could figure out some way to take light clothing with me in flight.

MethosH
2010-01-10, 07:51 PM
Actually nevermind... I got a dude that is waaaaaaaaaayyy cooler:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/08/Waterbear.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardigrade)

starwoof
2010-01-10, 08:02 PM
I would turn into this.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l121/starwoof2/t-rex-jurassic-park.jpg

Zocelot
2010-01-10, 08:23 PM
I'd be a small bug of some type. Being able to get into places and spy on people is well worth the small chance of getting squashed (besides, I'd be on the lookout for that kind of stuff).

Flickerdart
2010-01-10, 08:42 PM
Looks like the consensus is between mobility and stealth. I'd probably go with a mosquito, fruit fly or similar tiny flying insect, for slipping under locked doors or through ventilation openings, but at the same time not being too small or slow so that getting anywhere is a pain.
However, if one took precaution to arrange well-hidden "dead drops" with clothing and such, then a form with more rapid travel ability would be superior. A bat or owl would allow you to travel invisible and emerge in the day in proper attire.
A clever shapeshifter (this would work better on girls though) would also grow out very long hair, in cases where clothing isn't readily available and one needs to defend one's modesty.

GallóglachMaxim
2010-01-10, 08:50 PM
I'd go for either cat or ferret so I could sleep anytime, even in very limited space. Plus, there's some fun to be had in there, chasing laser pointers and things.

The +cuteness would probably be useful as well.

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-01-10, 09:04 PM
A small insect. No one can see you, you can sneak into places, etc.

chiasaur11
2010-01-10, 09:08 PM
I would turn into this.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l121/starwoof2/t-rex-jurassic-park.jpg

Sounds like a plan.

Eldrys
2010-01-10, 09:10 PM
I would totally be a harpy eagel

Serpentine
2010-01-10, 09:19 PM
Useless? Animorphs disagree!
4) RL creatures only, so we don't all end up picking "dragon".Aw :frown:
Well, in that case, quetzalcoatlus.
http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/4350/quetzalcoatlus2wj2.jpg
:wink:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-01-10, 09:21 PM
Badassery, nothing beats the Peregrine Falcon. I've seen falcon's in T.O, so I know they can survive a winter here.

Or, a crow or raven. Depends whether i want to go "kaw", or "kaugh".

Tyrant
2010-01-10, 09:43 PM
How would the differences in average life span play out? For instance, the ones saying some type of small insect. If circumstances forced them to either remain that way for a time exceeding the creature's average lifespan or if their collective time spent as that creature exceeds it, what happens? Likewise, with something that lives longer than a human (typically)? If you spend decades as the other creature, will you be the correct age when you become human again or is it relative to the point in the lifecycle of the creature? Or does it not matter?

If the change is instantaneous, I would probably go with something like a lion or tiger. If extinct animals are allowed then either a sabertooth tiger or a T- Rex. Basically the use I am seeing is being able to readily fight back against other humans. Unless they are equipped to take down big game (and I am thinking primarily in a city, so I consider this very unlikely) any of those should be able to tear them to shreds before they have any serious shot at killing it. Between the Sabertooth and the T-Rex it's a toss up of fast vs overwhelming size. I'm not sure which I would prefer. Probably the fast, but then again it's a T-Rex. I guess it would really all depend on what I planned to do with it.

As for shapeshifting in general, it is very useful if you know how to apply it. It would be one of the best powers (aside from at will invisibility or possibly the ability to phase through matter) to have if you were a spy, for instance. It isn't the power that's as flashy as super strength or mind control or throwing energy bolts around all over the place. It's the one that lets you walk among your enemies undetected and throw a monkey wrench in their plans thus allowing your flashy powered guys to do their thing.

starwoof
2010-01-10, 09:51 PM
Oh also if I turned into a T-Rex I would refer to myself as Tylersaurus Rex. Because my first name is Tyler.:smallbiggrin:

Phase
2010-01-10, 10:04 PM
YES.

Is that Mark Witton's work, by any chance? :smallconfused:

I would go for a bird of prey, but I want to be able to spread my wings indoors somewhere. Perhaps a Dromeosaurid of some sort? Utahraptor or Deinonychus.

MethosH
2010-01-10, 10:12 PM
Question... If you eat enough on your animal form you would be hungry when you turned back to human in case that food wasn't enough for the human form?

Mauve Shirt
2010-01-10, 10:17 PM
A falcon or a bat.

Crimmy
2010-01-10, 10:23 PM
I know you said only one animal, but, really, I can't decide myself which of all the animals in the reptilia family, so I'll just say a reptile, preferably big.

Or a tiger, maybe.

Or, a really big white wolf.

Erts
2010-01-10, 10:40 PM
Well, the only problem with some of the options are how people would react... Example, people would notice if there were Utahraptor sightings...

Of course, if you choose an animal from the past, you will most likely die due to modern day diseases and viruses, which you have no immunity against. So I'm going to go with a Grizzly Bear.

Well, maybe a mountain lion. Or a bobcat, or a falcon. Overall? Probably a Grizzly Bear.

The thing is, they should be something which wouldn't be so weird if it was spotted in your local area. You're going to call the authorities down on you if there is a tiger sighting on a continent it has no place being there, especially when they realize that all tigers are accounted for in the zoos.

Now, I don't live near Grizzlies. However, they can be easily mistaken for Black Bears.

Reasons for each of these?

Grizzly: Never need to worry about much self defense ever again, or surviving in the wild, as they can eat pretty much everything. Also can run really fast, have crazy endurance, and very good at opening things.

Mountain lion: Combines Grizzly's self defense to a lesser degree, but more agile in reaching place. (Climbing buildings, fleeing, etc.)

Bobcat: Can explore buildings and urban areas like a cat, but more fighting ability against stray dogs.

Falcon: Ability to fly, not much else. I'm assuming I keep human intelligence, or I'd choose raven.

GoC
2010-01-10, 10:47 PM
I'd pick a good looking female version of me.:smallbiggrin:though not for the "obvious" reasons

starwoof
2010-01-10, 10:55 PM
I'd pick a good looking female version of me.:smallbiggrin:though not for the "obvious" reasons

That was my second choice. Boobies!:smallbiggrin:

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2010-01-10, 11:04 PM
Sabertooth cat or girl Fullbladder, depending on exactly what crazed happenstance is happening.

If, for example, the Apocalypse is occuring shortly, I'm hoping for sabertooth cat. Greater survivability in Post Apocalyptia.

ghost_warlock
2010-01-10, 11:12 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ef/Rhinovirus.PNG/190px-Rhinovirus.PNG

Moff Chumley
2010-01-10, 11:16 PM
I'd be a dodo. =B

MethosH
2010-01-10, 11:32 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ef/Rhinovirus.PNG/190px-Rhinovirus.PNG

Isn't the short lifespan a problem?

thubby
2010-01-11, 03:07 AM
even ignoring lifespan. diminutive forms are very fragile, and most flying insects are eaten by everything. in a standing fight you can change to human again but an ambush by the resident blue-jay would kill you.

Coidzor
2010-01-11, 03:43 AM
My vote is tied between Albatross for long-distance travel and the ability to carry a bit more with me, a variety of owl for some combat ability in flight (the bigger ones generally aren't messed with and have good night vision and stealth for nighttime stuffs, or Grizzly Bear for combat and general unkillability(just try and shoot a grizzly in the face and see what happens @_@).

Hmm. Well, practicality wise, anyway. I think for fun I'd probably go with peregrine falcon or another fast bird which isn't automatically on everything's prey list.

rakkoon
2010-01-11, 03:51 AM
a doggy that gets cuddled a lot. With super hearing... yeah german shepard pup for me!

GoC
2010-01-11, 04:26 AM
That was my second choice. Boobies!:smallbiggrin:
I did say not for the obvious reasons...
I would like to know what the world looks like from a female perspective.

Eldan
2010-01-11, 04:40 AM
Well, I like swimming.

Liopleurodon.

If I can, that probably fictional 25m thing from that movie I forgot the name of.

loopy
2010-01-11, 04:45 AM
Probably an ermine. Because they are cute. :smallsmile:

Totally Guy
2010-01-11, 04:49 AM
When I was growing up there was a show called Woof about a boy that was a doggie shapeshifter by all these rule except his transformtions were involuntary.

The poor kid was always ending up naked in funny places.

I'd probably share the seecret with my friends so I'd have an excuse for ending up naked every now and again.

I think that old TV show effected me somehow.:smallredface:

Elder Tsofu
2010-01-11, 05:09 AM
I'd go for a seagull of some sort.
Not unusual anywhere, less likely to become food for bird of prey than the dove and seem to be able to live in quite cold climates.

Combat-ability ain't worth a damn if you don't get attacked - and if you get attacked you'd better have picked the biggest nastiest animal in the area or you'll be food anyway. :smallwink:
And even that won't save you from getting shot at by people with guns.
(A grizzly in the middle of a city would probably have a shorter life-span than a mosquito)

Ability to move freely to places you normally can't reach (without difficulty) would be preferable. And not being the preferred dish for the areas carnivores is a definite plus. :smalltongue:
(This includes creatures living under water, insects, cats, birds etc.)

Kneenibble
2010-01-11, 05:44 AM
Some good answers. I really like seagull, falcon, and crow/raven. Flying and being the top of the foodchain are a good combination.

However, I would choose the form of an anthropomorphic reptile.

What do you mean they're not real? Haven't you ever walked around downtown on acid?

Boo
2010-01-11, 05:49 AM
If anthropomorphic creatures were real you and I would have a heck of a time. (I must ask what kind of reptile... chameleon would be cool, as would a komodo.)

ghost_warlock
2010-01-11, 09:38 AM
Isn't the short lifespan a problem?
Considering we're already assuming a continuance of human-like consciousness despite almost all of the alternate forms not having the necessary neural infrastructure to sustain it, I assumed we'd keep our own lifespan. Especially since that seems to be the norm for shapeshifting characters in the media - how often do you see relative aging differentials take their toll on characters who've shapeshifted into a much shorter-lived species?

If nothing else, the precedent for such a form has already been set in stone, so to speak, by Merlin in a certain animated classic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sword_in_the_Stone_(film)):

Merlin arrives and challenges Madame Mim to a Wizard's Duel(in which the combatants try to defeat each other by changing themselves into various non-imaginary animals to destroy one another). Mim immediately breaks the rules by disappearing, and eventually transforms into a dragon, both times breaking her own rules. Merlin defeats her by transforming himself into a germ and infecting her.

Ikialev
2010-01-11, 09:57 AM
A python. I like snakes.

Ashen Lilies
2010-01-11, 10:26 AM
Badassery, nothing beats the Peregrine Falcon. I've seen falcon's in T.O, so I know they can survive a winter here.

Or, a crow or raven. Depends whether i want to go "kaw", or "kaugh".

Hey, say 'Nevermore'.

It's either a toss-up between a raven or a cat. Probably something Oriental. Those always seemed to be the slickest looking to me. I might be biased though. :smallwink: Maybe be stereotypical and go for one of those sleek, black Burmese ones. Or a Siamese, but one of the ones that are purely cream colored. The black patches always looked dumb to me. Both are common enough that you can have some modicum of stealth, especially in urban environments, with the raven being better outdoors, where it can fly, and the cat better indoors, where it can walk around acting as if it belongs there and being adorabubble, and generally being unnoticed. Unless of course, you played the adorableness too much. Both are typically left alone, except by the more violent type of dog.
Both have some modicum of defense against creature their own size and slightly larger, and both have a reputation for viciousness which makes them generally left alone by, again, all but the most ferocious of critters, or the occasional ******* human. And dogs can be handled by shifting back into a person, unless you're up against a Rottweiler or something, in which case you're better off flying away or climbing a tree or something. Also, I'm not so sure about the sensory capabilities of ravens, but c'mon. Cats get better hearing, nightvision, better smell, balance and that generic magnet/earthquake sense that all animals but humans seem to have.

So yeah. Not sure.

Syka
2010-01-11, 10:56 AM
Guess?

Yeeahh...it has the added bonus of foxes being highly adaptable and, well, pretty much everywhere. I'm also going for general 'fox' because, while we are only allowed one type of animal he didn't say we could shift between species. :smallwink:

If I had to choose, though, grey fox.

Serpentine
2010-01-11, 11:04 AM
Well, I like swimming.

Liopleurodon.
Is it a maaaagical one? Charlie?

reorith
2010-01-11, 11:13 AM
i would have an alternate form as a tasmanian devil. i'd use my human form to locate populations, and i'd then use my alternate form to uh locate and increase the number of tasmanian devils in the wild...

Athaniar
2010-01-11, 12:49 PM
Cat. Because they're cruel, merciless, adorable little masterminds, that's why.

FoE
2010-01-11, 01:39 PM
To answer a couple of questions:

1) Your lifespan is measured in human years, meaning that, yes, you could spend sixty-plus years as a mosquito. But your animal form reflects your human age and as such would exhibit signs of aging that corresponded to your human form. If you were two, your animal form would be a puppy, a cub or a larva. If you were 100, you'd be an ancient and decrepit animal.

2) What you eat in animal form stays with your animal form, but you can have a feeling of "fullness" when you switch back if you really chowed down.

Slayn82
2010-01-11, 02:44 PM
Being an insect dont really strikes me as a good idea with all the insecticide people throw around. Specially if you are going to bother with spying people. Should try a gecko.

And around where i live, being a bird is a poor idea. Airplanes, other birds. And kids are evil.

For my choice, i would pick an elephant, strong, reasonably agile/fast, excelent hearing, and have a somewhat good reputation with people (so that if you keep your distance and not menace them, they will not automatically try to shoot you at the first oportunity, as would against a bear or a lion). And can swim too. Their sight is a little worse than the human, but height or contact lens could conceivably solve this point. As who would make contact lens for elephants, dunno.

Ikialev
2010-01-11, 03:20 PM
If you were 100, you'd be an ancient and decrepit animal.
Sounds bad. :F How does a decrepit mosquito look anyway? Is he buzzing about the old good times, and can't fly because of his rheumatism?

And if I loose a limb as an animal, does it grow back in human form, like in animorphs?

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-11, 03:47 PM
Useless? Animorphs disagree!Aw :frown:

What the huh? That's a new one to me. <Flies off to google it>

When I was growing up there was a show called Woof about a boy that was a doggie shapeshifter by all these rule except his transformtions were involuntary.

The poor kid was always ending up naked in funny places.

I'd probably share the seecret with my friends so I'd have an excuse for ending up naked every now and again.

I think that old TV show effected me somehow.:smallredface:

Thank God someone else remembers this show. It annoys me that no one I know does.

I'd go with some kind of bird. Maybe vulture.

Swordgleam
2010-01-11, 04:05 PM
It's tough. I think it would be fun to pick a bird, so I could experience flight. But I love dogs, and most of the ones I meet pretty much think I'm a dog already, so it would be hard not to choose that.

First thing I thought of.

pendell
2010-01-11, 04:07 PM
Orca. Hopefully with the ability to call in podmates. Combat ability second to none, rarely hunted by humans. Plus there's the possibility of being captured, sent to sea world to work with the attractive trainers ...

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Exeson
2010-01-11, 05:19 PM
Cat. Easily. It just looks like so much fun to be a cat.

Or an eagle..... still probably a cat. A black short-haired cat.

Anuan
2010-01-11, 05:52 PM
Useless? Animorphs disagree!Aw :frown:

I love how he thinks he's not too screwed to run :smallbiggrin:

As for me, either a tiger or a jaguar. I'm tempted to say a jaguar would be more likely, but every time I do the side of me that wants to be a tiger rears up...and vice versa...D:

Erts
2010-01-11, 07:49 PM
(A grizzly in the middle of a city would probably have a shorter life-span than a mosquito)

Well, assuming you can change back and forth with speed, that won't be an issue.

Kneenibble
2010-01-11, 08:23 PM
If anthropomorphic creatures were real you and I would have a heck of a time. (I must ask what kind of reptile... chameleon would be cool, as would a komodo.)
Those would be cool. Do komodos have that bite that turns the wound gangrenous? I think I would go for one of the little yellowish lizards I saw ubiquitous in Chennai though, that move faster than your eye can follow and climb up walls and ceilings and always manage to sneak indoors. So cute.

How they would translate to an anthropomorph I can't guess, but they're awesome, either way. :D

Edit Not being seen transforming is of high importance to continue leading a private life. As soon as there's eye witness accounts of some dude changing into a bear and back spreading around in the city, the fun is pretty much over.

Serpentine
2010-01-11, 09:50 PM
Turns out Komodo dragons are venomous, not just weirdly gross. Which makes it one of only two venomous lizards.

On Quetzalcoatlus: I had one of these as my background for a while.http://www.futura-sciences.com/fileadmin/Fichiers/images/Vie/quetzacoalt.jpg
http://images.spaceref.com/news/2009/giraffe.jpgTry and tell me it's not a dragon in all the ways that matter! :smallbiggrin:

Icewalker
2010-01-11, 09:52 PM
Eagle. Probably a pretty big one. I'm a fan of the Wedge-Tailed Eagle just because it looks pretty cool.

skywalker
2010-01-12, 12:03 AM
What do you mean shapeshifting has no use in RL? I suppose it isn't if you have no voyeuristic mentality.

Oh, God, my ex-GF's cats used to watch us... *ahem,* moving along...

+ what, 3, 4 now?

If the change is instantaneous, I would probably go with something like a lion or tiger. If extinct animals are allowed then either a sabertooth tiger or a T- Rex. Basically the use I am seeing is being able to readily fight back against other humans. Unless they are equipped to take down big game (and I am thinking primarily in a city, so I consider this very unlikely) any of those should be able to tear them to shreds before they have any serious shot at killing it. Between the Sabertooth and the T-Rex it's a toss up of fast vs overwhelming size. I'm not sure which I would prefer. Probably the fast, but then again it's a T-Rex. I guess it would really all depend on what I planned to do with it.

You're still defeated by a well-aimed speeding car...

Well, I like swimming.

Liopleurodon.

Would you show unicorns (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5im0Ssyyus) the way to Candy Mountain?

I might use this even if it weren't true...

Orca. Hopefully with the ability to call in podmates. Combat ability second to none, rarely hunted by humans. Plus there's the possibility of being captured, sent to sea world to work with the attractive trainers ...

All the fun of a dolphin, without the problem of occasional fishing nets and orca predation. This was my choice too. Those dolphin scenes in Animorphs always thrilled me...

Ashen Lilies
2010-01-12, 10:49 AM
Turns out Komodo dragons are venomous, not just weirdly gross. Which makes it one of only two venomous lizards.

On Quetzalcoatlus: I had one of these as my background for a while.http://www.futura-sciences.com/fileadmin/Fichiers/images/Vie/quetzacoalt.jpg
http://images.spaceref.com/news/2009/giraffe.jpgTry and tell me it's not a dragon in all the ways that matter! :smallbiggrin:

It can't breathe fire, cast spells, boast, outsmart humans, spend 95% of it's life sleeping without ill effects, live for centuries or create half-squirrel offspring. Oh, and it doesn't have nigh-invulnerable scales.
You were saying? :smalltongue:

Also, if I don't become a cat, I've decided I'd be a crow, as opposed to a raven. They're slightly cuter, have a cooler mythology, have marginally less emo connotations and you're less likely to get smartasses coming after you, asking you to say 'nevermore'.

Serpentine
2010-01-12, 11:15 AM
It can't breathe fire, cast spells, boast, outsmart humans, spend 95% of it's life sleeping without ill effects, live for centuries or create half-squirrel offspring. Oh, and it doesn't have nigh-invulnerable scales.
You were saying? :smalltongue:As a cryptozoologist and a scientist-in-training, it is a giant reptile-like flying creature. Anything else, if quetzalcoatlus were alive concurrently with our species long enough to enter our mythology, are merely the results of generations of rumourmongering. Enough of the realistic core exists for it to be identified as the myth (if it were discovered alive today). Furthermore, few, if any, of those are universal to dragon myths.
So, I stand by my statement :smalltongue:

golentan
2010-01-12, 11:43 AM
You were saying? :smalltongue:

It can do 4 of those things. I leave figuring out which ones as an exercise for the reader (hint: they're the ones not biologically impossible, and it's not the scales).

Closak
2010-01-12, 01:24 PM
If i have to pick a real animal then i think i pick a Komodo Dragon.

A really big Komodo Dragon.

Alternately a Giant Anaconda.
Big snake is BIG!

Cobra_Ikari
2010-01-12, 03:25 PM

But...there were already two. Gila Monsters, and Mexican Beaded Lizards.

Keshay
2010-01-12, 04:17 PM
I'd go with some form of bird, an apex predator that flies fast. After some set up I'd just fly to/from work. Have the patio enclosed, but still with enough room to get in while in bird form, then just shift back without public nudity. Getting dressed at work would be more problematic. Maybe get a van I'd just leave in the parking lot and have a modified window or roof vent I can get in while a bird...

Yes, I hate my commute and woudl go to great lengths to avoid it.

Being an insect or anythign small is problematic because no matter how careful you think you'd be, you're going to get eaten eventually espically if you have any outdoor adventures. Also, you're going to want a physiology and senses as close to a human's as possible. Imagine the first time you change into a bee and your vision goes all compound, you lose a traditional sense of smell and start using the antennae.

Every shape shift would be like the worst imaginable acid trip.

Shas aia Toriia
2010-01-12, 04:39 PM
Definitely a bird, and one big enough to not get eaten, so either an eagle or an owl. I'm not particular about the particulars.

Force
2010-01-12, 05:06 PM
Couple questions:

-Do our kids possess the same shapeshifting abilities? And do any... other offspring we might conceivably have while in alternate form possess the ability to become human? Either one is a sticky issue but the latter is even more so.

-Does the animal form age as we age? Does it only age if we spend a lot of time in it?

-What happens if I'm hurt while human and shape-shift, or vice-versa? And what happens if I die while shape-shifted?

Questions aside, lots of forms come to mind.

-Gorilla: I remember reading somewhere (don't recall where, nor how accurate) that if you could teach a male silverback to bench weights he could probably bench over 2000 pounds after some training. Come in verrrry handy sometimes, and I'd have fingers, so I could at the very least manipulate basic technology while in animal form. It'd be nice to be able to one-hand my motorcycle when I want to work on it.

-Big cat: For the coolness factor alone. Also to make a splash in the furry fandom-- I'd be a hit if I showed up at one of the big cons in animal form and was perfectly happy to cuddle up to anyone. Though that might get squicky in a hurry. Plus, I like the big cats, and being one would be kinda neat.

-Wolf/Coyote: As above (coyotes have the advantage of being semi-common around where I live, so I wouldn't have to worry as much about people flipping out over a wolf running around in the woods.) Wolves might even turn out to be protected, meaning that so long as I stay away from human habitation I'm unlikely to be shot. Always nice.

All the above are pretty much wishful thinking, though. I'd have to get out of the city to change lest I get spotted and the cops get called, or I'd have to make a great big media splash in order to be safe in animal form. And if I did that... *shudder* I bet my free life would be measured in hours, maybe minutes, depending on how much time it would take for the FBI/CIA/whatever alphabet soup agency to put together a strike team. Seriously, a quantifiable superpower with possible offensive consequences? I'd be screwed. So the following are a bit more realistic.

-Like everyone else, some sort of bird. Probably an apex predator that isn't native so I don't have to worry about becoming prey for something bigger 'n badder than I am. I'm not sure how big the bird would have to be to carry clothing/wallet, but it would make some things handy.

-A housecat. They're cute, cuddly, a lot of people like them, and people don't flip if they see a cat walking around outside. There's also not that many things that prey on cats, so if I wanted to shapeshift and prowl around in the woods I'd be fairly safe.

-A dog. Preferably a husky, because I like huskies. That has a lot of the advantages of a wolf, without the disadvantage of getting shot (though that could happen anyway, if someone makes a targeting ID error).