PDA

View Full Version : A query concerning really big hammers

BRC
2010-01-10, 06:33 PM
So, I'm working on an NPC concept, the idea being a Goliath (Named Sir Tavish the Immense) who wields the biggest Goliath Greathammer I can put in his grubby little paws.

Now, my origional plan was to have him wield a large-sized Greathammer (from his Powerful Build) then start encounters by being hit by an Enlarge Person/Chugging a potion of such. I briefly considered Monkey Grip to give him an even bigger hammer, but then I remembered that monkey grip and powerful build do not stack.

And then, I read the Goliath Barbarian Racial substitution level, which replaces normal Rage with something called mountain Rage, which increases the Goliath's size to large (It negates Powerful Build for the duration) and boosts it's strength.
So my thought was, would Monkey Grip work for a Mount Raged goliath? Could I have Sir Tavish Enlarge, Mountain Rage, and Monkey Grip to wield a Gargantuan Greathammer that he smashes down with for 6d6 damage? If the rules allow it, would it be cruel to use such a trick on my players? If he's not raging, can he use his hammer?

Edit: I checked, Enlarge person does not stack with other Magical affects that increase size. Mountain Rage is Extraordinary, so it stacks.

FishAreWet
2010-01-10, 06:35 PM
Give him Titan Bloodline to wield Huge weapons. It's in the SRD.

Or just tell the PCs that it's a gigantic hammer but treat it mechanically as a large one.

pffh
Strongarm bracers, they allow him to use an even a larger weapon. (MiC)

JaronK
It would, but Strongarm Bracers would work better than Monkey Grip.

Also, a Titan Bloodline would do something interesting too... as would the Greater Mighty Whallop spell. As to whether it's good to do to players, that depends on their level.

EDIT: Nice ninja, guys. That was fast! And btw, Enlarge Person doesn't work on Monsterous Humanoids like Goliaths. But the Half Minotaur template would do it...

JaronK

Talbot
2010-01-10, 06:40 PM
If you don't mind burning a feat (EWP) to do it, make whatever hammer you end up with Heavy to increase its damage dice.

Pyro_Azer
2010-01-10, 06:52 PM
The balanced weapon enhancement from arms and equipment guide allows you to weild the weapon as if it were a size smaller while keeping all other properties of its size.

Thurbane
2010-01-10, 08:33 PM
Thorgrim's (http://www.armsoftheworld.com/images/Conan001_0.jpg) Hammer? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105935) :smalltongue:

BRC
2010-01-10, 11:16 PM
Strongarm bracers, they allow him to use an even a larger weapon. (MiC)

Except they are explicitly defined as not working with Powerful Build. The Goliath race is mentioned.

Douglas
2010-01-10, 11:32 PM
Goliaths are Monstrous Humanoids, not Humanoids, and are therefore not valid targets for Enlarge Person.

BRC
2010-01-10, 11:41 PM
Goliaths are Monstrous Humanoids, not Humanoids, and are therefore not valid targets for Enlarge Person.
Well you just had to ruin my fun, didn't you.

And then I remembered that I'm the DM, and that it's not that much of a rule step anyway (Who is WoTC to call a race "Monstrous"?)

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-10, 11:54 PM
Be Psywar and cast Expansion on yourself.