PDA

View Full Version : a few questions concerning Paladin 3.5

Mystic Muse
2010-01-10, 09:04 PM
okay. I'm using a Paladin with a Drakkensteed mount and was wondering two things.

1. once my mounts has enough intelligence will it be the same alignment as me? I.E lawful good?
2. is my mount capable of taking this feat or would I have to? http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Winter~s_Mount
3. if my mount would be it's own alignment and not lawful good what feat should it take since it will be at six HD? Is improved natural attack a good feat?

also, I'm using a homebrew version and don't get remove disease at level 6 so I can't switch that out for a celestial mount.

taltamir
2010-01-10, 09:07 PM
1. I am not sure what the rules say about that, but seeing as it is a paladin mount empowered by paladinian divine (from a deity) magic I would assume it is LG.

2. The feat clearly says "your mount"... unless your mount has paladin levels and its own mount, it will get no benefit from such a feat. You must take it.

3. Paladin mounts gain feats?

jokey665
2010-01-10, 09:14 PM
2. The feat clearly says "your mount"... unless your mount has paladin levels and its own mount, it will get no benefit from such a feat. You must take it.

"Yo dawg, I heard you like mounts, so I put a mount on your mount so you can ride while you ride"?

Mystic Muse
2010-01-10, 09:16 PM
Somebody on the boards said they get feats every 3 HD just like PCs.

Draz74
2010-01-10, 10:28 PM
Somebody on the boards said they get feats every 3 HD just like PCs.

Bonus HD

Extra eight-sided (d8) Hit Dice, each of which gains a Constitution modifier, as normal. Extra Hit Dice improve the mount’s base attack and base save bonuses. A special mount’s base attack bonus is equal to that of a cleric of a level equal to the mount’s HD. A mount has good Fortitude and Reflex saves (treat it as a character whose level equals the animal’s HD). The mount gains additional skill points or feats for bonus HD as normal for advancing a monster’s Hit Dice.

Yes. Yes, they do.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-10, 11:08 PM
okay. if My mount took vow of poverty would it count as a 6th level ascetic since it has 6 hd or does HD not allow it to qualify? This is assuming my mount would be lawful good of course.

Draz74
2010-01-10, 11:45 PM
okay. if My mount took vow of poverty would it count as a 6th level ascetic since it has 6 hd or does HD not allow it to qualify? This is assuming my mount would be lawful good of course.

Heh, that's clever. Can't believe I've never seen it before. On the other hand ... what share of the party treasure, exactly, is the horse going to be donating to charity?

But yeah, IMHO it would gain Level 6 benefits of VoP.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-11, 12:02 AM
nothing in the vow of poverty requirement says anything about giving to charity that I can see. As far as I can tell it's simply a "suggestion":smallwink:

Also, I think my Paladin donating to the church would count. although I'd have to ask my DM about that one.

and somebody suggested it in the last thread I made about my Paladin. That's why I brought it up.

taltamir
2010-01-11, 12:07 AM
Heh, I did think about giving a VoP to a mount / animal companion / familiar before...

but I never thought to pull it in actual gameplay because I don't want the DM to throw books at me...

Mystic Muse
2010-01-11, 12:15 AM
I doubt I'll actually do it. My Paladin is probably good enough without giving the mount all that extra junk. If it looks like I'm not contributing very well (which really shouldn't be a problem) I'll probably do that. I was just making sure.

Are there any good feats I could give my mount that WOULDN'T be extremely cheesy? is improved natural attack to make his bite go from 1d8 to 2d6 worth it?

taltamir
2010-01-11, 12:32 AM
id go for survivability and maneuverability rather then damage... its bite shouldn't be making a different anyways, 1d8 to 2d6 means your average damage increased from 4.5 to 7.

did you get the hooves that let it fly a few inches of the ground /water and ignore terrain?

Mystic Muse
2010-01-11, 12:34 AM
It's a drakkensteed. It has a fly speed of 60 and claws. I don't think it qualifies for that.

Runestar
2010-01-11, 01:39 AM
You know, I was tempted to give a gold dragon the VOP feat and have it harass the party once...:smallamused:

Maybe some flight feats like improved maneuverability or hover?

Temotei
2010-01-11, 01:41 AM
"Yo dawg, I heard you like mounts, so I put a mount on your mount so you can ride while you ride"?

Not one person commented on this post. It shows that we've all become accustomed to humor. Perhaps too accustomed. :roy:

Mystic Muse
2010-01-11, 03:34 PM
Unfortunately Drakkensteeds only have a fly speed of 60 so no improved maneuverability. I might be able to get that later though if I can increase my fly speed somehow.

Mounts only advance by HD correct? And I'm just wondering because I can't tell. By level 15 will it have 8 more HD than normal or 20 more HD? The SRD isn't exceedingly clear on that point. I'd assume 8 because 20 seems a bit unbalancing but I want to be sure.