PDA

View Full Version : Do the benefits/disadvantages of old age transfer over as a Lich?

Fenlun
2010-01-11, 02:38 AM
I'd imagine that the Wisdom, Int., and whatnot would transfer over, but what about the Strength and Dex.? I figure being a skeleton is being a skeleton, although the advanced age *would* deteriorate the bones that much more :smallconfused:

taltamir
2010-01-11, 03:05 AM
you keep your penalties and your beenfits... lich is a template which specifies exactly what it changes

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lich.htm

Abilities
Increase from the base creature as follows: Int +2, Wis +2, Cha +2. Being undead, a lich has no Constitution score.

so your con changes to none (not 0, none).
your int, wis and cha go up, your STR and dex stay the same.

it doesn't actually make too much sense if you consider that destroying the lich's body causes a new one to be created from thin air... but it is magic after all.

I think it is not unreasonable to houserule that those penalties don't apply...
having a +4 LA makes the lich one of the worst possible things a caster can get (unless they are already level 20 and you play with level 20 = max level).

Fenlun
2010-01-11, 03:33 AM
you keep your penalties and your beenfits... lich is a template which specifies exactly what it changes

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lich.htm

so your con changes to none (not 0, none).
your int, wis and cha go up, your STR and dex stay the same.

it doesn't actually make too much sense if you consider that destroying the lich's body causes a new one to be created from thin air... but it is magic after all.

I think it is not unreasonable to houserule that those penalties don't apply...
having a +4 LA makes the lich one of the worst possible things a caster can get (unless they are already level 20 and you play with level 20 = max level).

Much obliged, and this is one of the cases where an NPC is either so badass/plot important that they get their own character sheet :smallbiggrin:

SparkMandriller
2010-01-11, 03:42 AM
For that matter, do liches still die of old age? Because I actually can't see anything which says they don't. Huh.

charl
2010-01-11, 03:47 AM
For that matter, do liches still die of old age? Because I actually can't see anything which says they don't. Huh.

I'm pretty sure the rules say that undead don't age.

SparkMandriller
2010-01-11, 03:49 AM
I did too, but I looked and I can't actually find anything which says that. :/

Alleine
2010-01-11, 03:55 AM
I did too, but I looked and I can't actually find anything which says that. :/

Well, there's nothing saying that they do. Which is what all the living races get. Aging charts telling you at what time you die. Of course considering you're still the same creature... but then again they are technically dead already. Its harder to die the second time when you never came back to life.

Fenlun
2010-01-11, 03:57 AM

Undead = No use for organs

Old Age = Dying of organ failure :smallwink:

taltamir
2010-01-11, 04:45 AM
Undead = No use for organs

Old Age = Dying of organ failure :smallwink:

not in DnD world it isn't. in DnD you have a set "time" that is predestined... if you die before it, you can be brought back to life, if you reach it and die from old age you cannot be restored. And there are very very few ways to extend it.

But I hate that rule and say it can go die in a ditch fire. Unaging means you don't die unless someone kills you; not that you don't take penalties of aging but still die of age.

hamishspence
2010-01-11, 05:16 AM
Think of it as being a bit like Aragorn-- stays "hale" all his life, then dies.

This would apply to monks, dragonwrought kobolds, etc.

Though Cloud Anchorites (Frostburn) have a "will never die of old age" property added to Timeless Body.

Bayar
2010-01-11, 07:17 AM
It is implied that wizards and other casters that go the path of the lich, do that to escape their mortal coil. Because they are ******* and fear their own mortality.

Plus, undead dont have their very own middle age/old/venerable/maximum age table, thus cannot die of old age.

—Not affected by raise dead and reincarnate spells or abilities.
Resurrection and true resurrection can affect undead creatures. These
spells turn undead creatures back into the living creatures they
were before becoming undead.

When you become an undead, you preety much die. A lich and other specific types of undead retain their conciousness. This means that you are already dead, you cannot die of old age.