PDA

View Full Version : Flanking [3.5]

RagnaroksChosen
2010-01-11, 09:19 AM
I am building a character for a friends semi optimised game.
I wanted to try making a TOB Warblade that is all about flanking..

Any way i think i remember there being a way for you to flank with your self....
I know there are some creative reading of the reach rules and adaptible/vexing flanker...

If there isn't what other way is there to get flanking as a character(with out another player). I know sword sages have the distracting ember, and theres all kinds of magic items that can get you to flank via summoning monsters.

Actualy is there any kind of handbook for flanking stuff... seems like something person man would have done?

Also if I have a character that is a swordsage/warblade can i have two stances going, one from ss the other from WB?

thanks all.

Cyclocone
2010-01-11, 09:48 AM
Dvati twins (Dragon #271 IIRC) can flank with themselves and they're technically only one person.

Amphetryon
2010-01-11, 09:53 AM
Use Island of Blades from ToB. Auto-flanking for you and your allies. Done.

Zom B
2010-01-11, 09:55 AM
Also, keep in mind that a Bag of Tricks type 1 is very cheap and that mice, bats, etc can flank. Just sayin'.

RagnaroksChosen
2010-01-11, 09:59 AM
Use Island of Blades from ToB. Auto-flanking for you and your allies. Done.

Ya i was thinking of that... I wasn't sure if Island of blades counted as flanking for your self or not...

The debate is between that and I want to say a tiger claw stance that gives bonus dmg when you are flanking...
and or assasins stance... The problem is with island of blades (assuming it doesn't let you auto flank) is that i'd rather pop the feats for vexxing/adaptable and use other flanking stances.

Edit:

The stance is Tactics of the wolf, its a white raven stance... gives +1/2 initiator level in dmg to allys taht flank with you.

Boci
2010-01-11, 10:02 AM
Also, keep in mind that a Bag of Tricks type 1 is very cheap and that mice, bats, etc can flank. Just sayin'.

Wouldn't a creature need a natural reach of at least 5ft to threatan?

The Mentalist
2010-01-11, 10:13 AM
The fourth level Elocater (EPH 143) gets an ability called flanker that lets them chose an adjacent square for flanking and the Adaptable Flanker (PHB2 74) lets you choose another adjacent square. Used right I think it would work (Haven't playtested) it's a well... not worth it but it does it.

Edit: I know it's probably not what you're looking for, but the only way I know of to flank by yourself as a single body.

Person_Man
2010-01-11, 10:32 AM
Actualy is there any kind of handbook for flanking stuff... seems like something person man would have done?

Not specifically. I have compiled a list of ways to qualify for Sneak Attack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7206236&postcount=34), which includes a few creative ways to Flank. But there's probably not much there to help you. In general, Flanking is not really something you optimize. It's just a minor bonus To-Hit, and one way to trigger Sneak Attack.

But if you wanted to optimize it, then you might want to play a Kenku (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20040912b&page=4). They're a race of crow people from the MMIII that get a +4 bonus when flanking, instead of the normal +2. They also get a bonus to Aid Another (useful for a nanobots build), Hide and Move Silently, and can mimic voices.

The other big thing I can think of is Beast Heart Adept. They get an additional +2 bonus To-Hit and a +2 bonus to damage when they Flank with one of their monstrous companions, and they get the Opportunist ability. Their capstone ability gives these powers to all of your allies.

There's also the Wolfpack feat from Races of the Wild, but 'it's a lousy feat with sucky pre-reqs, so I'd avoid it.

IonDragon
2010-01-11, 10:44 AM
There is the Distracting Attack Ranger variant from the PHB II, but I think that applies only for an ally that would not normally be considered flanked by you. Not exactly what you're looking for, but somewhat relevant.

RagnaroksChosen
2010-01-11, 10:53 AM
Not specifically. I have compiled a list of ways to qualify for Sneak Attack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7206236&postcount=34), which includes a few creative ways to Flank. But there's probably not much there to help you. In general, Flanking is not really something you optimize. It's just a minor bonus To-Hit, and one way to trigger Sneak Attack.

But if you wanted to optimize it, then you might want to play a Kenku (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20040912b&page=4). They're a race of crow people from the MMIII that get a +4 bonus when flanking, instead of the normal +2. They also get a bonus to Aid Another (useful for a nanobots build), Hide and Move Silently, and can mimic voices.

There's also the Wolfpack feat from Races of the Wild, but 'it's a lousy feat with sucky pre-reqs, so I'd avoid it.
Totaly forgot about kenku...

Does that meen a kenku with vexing flanker that would get a +8?

Ya the whole thing that inspired me to optimise for flanking is the int to flank dmg the warblade gets along with the stance that adds .5 initator to dmg would be good. along with a high crit weapons(like dual keen kukiri's)

Especialy where you could turn the +8 into some power attack dmg...

Person_Man
2010-01-11, 11:38 AM
Totaly forgot about kenku...

Does that meen a kenku with vexing flanker that would get a +8?

No, each ability says that you get +4 instead of +2. So by RAW, they might not stack at all. I'd have to double check the wording of each ability. But a reasonable DM would probably do the math like this:

Base: +2
Kenku: +2
Vexing Flanker: +2

An additional +4 to hit isn't that great for a racial ability (remember, you're giving up a Human bonus feat or something similar) plus a feat investment. But it's ok.

Duke of URL
2010-01-11, 12:19 PM
It's of limited use, but the Distracting Ember boost from the Desert Wind School (ToB) basically summons a 1-round flanker for you.

RagnaroksChosen
2010-01-11, 12:20 PM
It's of limited use, but the Distracting Ember boost from the Desert Wind School (ToB) basically summons a 1-round flanker for you.

yes i was thinking about doing something like

Warblade 3/SS 2/Warblade x
picking up that and some shadow hand/setting sun menuvers

Thurbane
2010-01-11, 08:11 PM
Cue Billy Idol: Flankin' With Myself (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129769)...