PDA

View Full Version : (Another) Grapple rules question

mregecko
2010-01-11, 03:36 PM
So, my DM ran an interesting encounter for me the other day. We ended up surviving, but I think that there may be some issues that I'd like to get some other opinions on.

We were fighting some Monk / Advanced Chokers. My DM decided that he could perform the following attack sequence:

1.) Attack
2.) Improved Grab / win grapple
3.) Constrict
4.) Choose to drop grapple as a free action
5.) Repeat from #1

Now, as these were chokers with the Quickness (Su), and also monks, you can imagine that there were a lot of attacks and some high grapple mods.

Now, this seems a bit cheesy to me. Especially if you consider that the exact same course of action could be taken with a Kraken, granting more than boatload of damage.

Alternatively, can something with tentacles and improved grab/constrict hit and grapple with all of its tentacles, doing constrict damage on each one?

I'm basically just hoping for some help with how multiple attacks / improved grab / constrict all interact. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Gecko

Glimbur
2010-01-11, 04:05 PM
You can't drop a grapple as a free action unless you are pinning your opponent. You can just use the tentacles in the grapple, as they are natural attacks. Or you could make grapple checks to do damage + constrict damage. They also do constrict damage on any successful grapple check, for example if they prevent you from escaping they do constrict damage. Grappling monsters can be scary.