PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Building a Thrown Weapon Character

Commander_Vimes
2010-01-11, 03:41 PM
I'm building a throw weapon character for a game that will start at level 8.

I'm planning on three levels of Factotum for Brains Over Brawn and Iajitsu Focus plus Master Thrower to get Tripping Throw. I think Bloodstorm Blade will let me apply Iajitsu damage to thrown weapons because I can treat them as melee attacks. I'm considering 11 levels of Warblade to get Int to Trip Attempts again, but that's in the future.

I'm going to take Able Learner with Factotum to be the party Skill Monkey as well.

What weapon is the best to throw with or without Throw Anything?

I'm thinking Factotum 3/Warblade 3/ Master Thrower 2 to start with. I'd be very interested in seeing builds for level 8 as well as ones going all the way to 20.

Thanks for helping.

Signmaker
2010-01-11, 03:45 PM
Traditionally? Daggers. In your situation? Probably something two-handed, if you're utilizing BB.

Swordgleam
2010-01-11, 04:19 PM
I've had good luck with thrown bastard swords, but that's in Iron Heroes. I'm not sure how well it'll work in just plain 3.5.

dyslexicfaser
2010-01-11, 04:29 PM
Boomerang, with the relevant feats Boomerang Daze and Boomerang Ricochet, can be deadly.

Tehnar
2010-01-11, 06:05 PM
I suggest a Harpoon. Try to convince the DM you can choose when the harpoon sticks in the victim.

Bonus points to it go that you can make its range increment 80 ft (100 depending on how your DM will read it).

Negative side is it needs a feat.

Suggest build: Factotum 4/Warblade 1/Bloodstorm blade 4/Warblade to the end

herrhauptmann
2010-01-11, 06:09 PM
That's no moon. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19873078/Hulking_Hurler_build)

Ridiculously overdone build, partly because it requires you to carry around ball of lead that weighs about 2 tons. And also not nearly close enough to your desired build.

Triaxx
2010-01-11, 08:08 PM
What? No, go Hulking Hurler, grab Throw Ally and Leadership. Get a Gnome follower and have him enchanted as returning.

1: Throw gnome for damage.
2: Wait for gnome to return and repeat
3: ????
4: Profit

---

Seriously though, the earlier advice is better.

Commander_Vimes
2010-01-11, 08:10 PM
Examining it again I'm choosing between Dexterity focus chucking daggers, or another small weapon I can draw, with Iajitsu damage or Strength Focus and power attacking with a thrown greatsword with Iajitsu on the first throw but not the others because the weapon will either be ricocheting from target to target or back to my hand from Bloodstorm Blade abilities.

I think heavily enchanting one two handed weapon and power attacking with it will give me the best damage output, but taking two weapon fighting feats and throwing a bunch of hand axes might bring Iajitsu focus damage on par with it.

Which do people think will perform better?

Hawriel
2010-01-11, 09:13 PM
The complete warrior has two 5 level PRCs that make a good dagger fighter when used together. Master Thrower and the Invisable Blade.

dyslexicfaser
2010-01-11, 09:32 PM
The complete warrior has two 5 level PRCs that make a good dagger fighter when used together. Master Thrower and the Invisable Blade.

What was that? Inadvisable Blade, you say?

Signmaker
2010-01-11, 09:38 PM
What was that? Inadvisable Blade, you say?

Aye. The errata makes them horrible.

Smythen
2010-01-12, 08:06 AM
Play a halfling and go whisperknife.
Or throw returning Kukries with x3 crit modifier from bloodstorm and master thrower.

2xMachina
2010-01-12, 08:26 AM
Meh, invisible blade is slightly broken (not in the good sense).

It suddenly needs range feats, although it isn't actually all that ranged focused.

BSB with 5 Master Thrower is fun. Power attack for your MT5's touch attacks.

EDIT: Also, about, the above post, the khukri's are auto returning thanks to BSB. Heck, I'd say they're better than returning enchantment, since they come back at once. Wonder if you can palm throw with BSB10's blade storm.

SethFahad
2010-01-13, 01:45 AM
Take a dip in Iajitsu Master (3.0) and throw katanas.... (weapon finesse applies to katana)

Temotei
2010-01-13, 01:52 AM
Jarlaxle. If you can find a build on him, use that as a background probably.

I never found a 3.5 version of him, unfortunately.

JaronK
2010-01-13, 02:01 AM
Aye. The errata makes them horrible.

Luckily, the Drow book fixes it again with Surprising Reposte.

JaronK

Person_Man
2010-01-13, 11:35 AM
Your basic building block options are:
Master Thrower 5: Trip Shot, Touch Attack Shot, Evasion.
Hulking Hurler 1: Really Throw Anything - you can throw anything you can lift as a light load.
Bloodstorm Blade 4: Throw melee weapons, and threat them as melee attacks (many feats and weapons require a melee attack to be triggered).
Master of Masks (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5266526) 1: Proficiency in every exotic weapon. This lets you use boomerangs, gnomish quickrazor, ritiik, pincer staff, razor net, orcish shotput, harpoon, etc) without penalty, removing the need to take some feats.
Warmind or Psychic Warrior: Gives access to Expansion and Hustle, plus other psionic powers.
Factotum: Brains Over Brawn, Cunning Surge (extra Standard Action), and excellent Skills.
Marshal: 1 level gets your Cha bonus to all Str checks for you and your friends. Useful if you want Paladin, Crusader, Hexblade, or Blackguard synergy.
Incarnate: A much overlooked but very useful class. For a moderate investment you can get the Mauling Gauntlets soulmeld and enough essentia and capacity to use it well, which gives you 2 + (2 * essentia) to all Str based checks (Bull Rush, Grapple, Trip). Other soulmelds can boost AC, Skills, To-Hit, damage, etc, or grant special abilities like SR, Evasion, etc.
Kensai: Enchant a natural weapon or your unarmed strikes with the Throwing ability. Result: Rocket Fists! If by some odd chance your DM actually allows this, then it can actually be powerful at high levels.

What combo you pick depends on your stats and what level you will be playing at for most of your campaign. Brains Over Brawn is a great idea at low-mid levels if you happen to roll good stats. But at high level, focusing your resources on improving Str and using Expansion and/or Mauling Gauntlets will give you better bonuses. Also, be mindful of your BAB. If your main goal is to optimize damage, then Warblade 5/Bloodstorm Blade 4/Anything Full BAB X is your best bet. If your goal is battlefield control, then your goal should be to boost your Str and Size bonuses, and use Trip and Bull Rush liberally.

Also, I'm surprised no one has linked to the King of Pong (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107248) yet.