PDA

View Full Version : does a mount with dragonblood count as a dragon?

Mystic Muse
2010-01-11, 04:57 PM
For my Paladin I'm taking Drakkensteed as a mount. I plan on taking the dragon rider prestige class for a level or two if it will benefit my mount but I don't know if it will. It only mentions dragons in the description of features. Drakkensteeds have the Dragonblood subtype but I don't think that qualifies it. Does it have to specifically have the dragon type?

and something I'm not quite clear on. Does my mount get 8 bonus HD at levels 15 to 20 or 20 bonus HD at levels 15-20?neither the PHB or SRD seem very specific on that point.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-01-11, 05:11 PM
Races of the Dragon says that "...spells, effects, powers, and abilities that affect or target a dragon also affect [dragonblooded creatures.]"

Dragonrider's mount class feature sounds like an ability to me.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-11, 05:28 PM
and what about the HD?

D-naras
2010-01-11, 06:24 PM
I'd say it gets a total of 8 bonus hit dice, judging from the natural armor. If you added its bonuses the mount would get 20 bonus HD which sounds much plus +28 natural armor which seems ridiculous and +10 STR which seems reasonable actually... Any way I'd go whith a total of 8 bonus HD.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-11, 11:34 PM
I agree 20 HD is too much but doesn't 8 HD seem like too little? do they really expect a warhorse to be of any use with 12 HD at level 20? It should just increase as normal until its total HD equals 20 IMHO. (same with every mount) 20 extra HD can probably be broken pretty easily though.

Is there any other way for it to gain HD?

one question. What exactly does maneuverability do? I can't find an explanation of why perfect maneuverability is any better than poor. (other than the name of course but that's obvious.

Nate the Snake
2010-01-12, 01:14 AM
What exactly does maneuverability do? I can't find an explanation of why perfect maneuverability is any better than poor. (other than the name of course but that's obvious.

Here you go. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/movement.htm#movingInThreeDimensions) :smallwink:

Mystic Muse
2010-01-12, 01:31 AM
thanks.

So, is there any other way to enhance HD?