PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Druid: Ditching the animal companion?

pffh
2010-01-11, 05:08 PM
My current character will probably die in the next few sessions so I want to make a backup character and I'm thinking druid. But I don't want an animal companion since it doesn't fit with my character concept and I'm wondering if there are any ACF that switch it and only it out?

If there aren't any would gaining the cleric spontaneous switching spells for cure spells (in addition to the normal switch for summon spells) and be able to wild shape into level+2HD animals instead of only level = HD animals be too unbalanced.

The party is mostly tier 3 characters and a monk and I plan on staying in core regarding spells, feats and wild shape forms.

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-11, 05:15 PM
Their is a feat that will allow you to switch out spells like a cleric in Comp. Divine, and one of the dragon mags has a druid only flaw that makes you unable to have an animal companion.

grautry
2010-01-11, 05:15 PM
There's quite a few ACF's that loose AC for a Druid and gain something in return.

Take a look here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1354.0).

pffh
2010-01-11, 05:20 PM
There's quite a few ACF's that loose AC for a Druid and gain something in return.

Take a look here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1354.0).

I looked through it and the only things that lose the companion are the shapeshifter which also loses the general utility wild shape and the avenger which loses the spontaneous casting.

grautry
2010-01-11, 05:44 PM
I looked through it and the only things that lose the companion are the shapeshifter which also loses the general utility wild shape and the avenger which loses the spontaneous casting.

There's also the Shifter Druid which is purely no animal companion without any other alteration.

You gain a bonus to Str or Dex or Con, can move than bonus to summoned creatures, get defence against enchantment, more spells, free rapid summoning and some stuff that is related to Shifter racial traits.

It's quite the nifty option if you don't like the idea of an AC.

deuxhero
2010-01-11, 06:20 PM
Seeing as how a familiar is worth a half progression AC, see if you can convince the DM to allow you take the the familar->standard action summoning wizard variant in exchange for it.