PDA

View Full Version : Noob Potion/Wand/Enchant Questions

Rasman
2010-01-11, 05:10 PM
I'm looking to pick up some potions/wands/gear enchants before we start our next enounter, so as to take a little burden off of our wizard, but I had some questions about specific combonations concerning my play style. (Note that intend to take each spell and have it be one of the 3 options, depending on duration and cost)

Burning Hands: Does the additional d4 damage count on each of my Flurry of Blows hits? Does it also count on my grapples?

Shocking Grasp: It says it's a touch attack, so does that mean that so long as I maintain a grapple, I deal an extra d6 damage?

Enlarge Person: Does drinking more than one/using more than one charge increase my size by another catagory?

Fist of Stone: Can the slam attack that this gives be added to the end of a Flurry of Blows as an extra attack?

Balancing Lorecall: Says you can balance on impossible surfaces, does this mean you can technically walk/run on water?

Blade Weave: Says that they must make a Will Save, but it never actually says what the DC is. Is the DC based on the caster level of the person that did the enchant/made the wand/potion or is it based on the target of the spell?

Mirror Image: Can this be enchanted onto something like a ring so that whenever I put it on it creates illusionary duplicates or is this something that would have to be used in Wand/Potion form?

Displacement: Does the 50% miss chance include spells?

I know...lots of questions and I'm not even sure they can all be used as wands or potions or enchants, but I guess it's better to ask and get something awesome than to not and be gimped because of it.

Also, any suggestions as to wands/potions/enchants that I should look at that I didn't list here?

Douglas
2010-01-11, 05:38 PM
Burning Hands: Does the additional d4 damage count on each of my Flurry of Blows hits? Does it also count on my grapples?
Burning Hands is not a buff spell, it is an area effect one time damage spell.

Shocking Grasp: It says it's a touch attack, so does that mean that so long as I maintain a grapple, I deal an extra d6 damage?
Shocking Grasp is not a buff spell. You cast it, touch someone once as part of the casting, it zaps that person, and it's done.

Enlarge Person: Does drinking more than one/using more than one charge increase my size by another catagory?
No. The same spell never stacks with itself, and magical size increases in general don't stack with each other.

Fist of Stone: Can the slam attack that this gives be added to the end of a Flurry of Blows as an extra attack?
No. Only special monk weapons can be used in a Flurry of Blows. If you were making a full attack without Flurry of Blows, the answer would be yes.

Balancing Lorecall: Says you can balance on impossible surfaces, does this mean you can technically walk/run on water?
Check the spell description, I'm fairly sure it mentions this specifically, with a minimum number of ranks (that's skill ranks only, not total bonus) in balance required.

Blade Weave: Says that they must make a Will Save, but it never actually says what the DC is. Is the DC based on the caster level of the person that did the enchant/made the wand/potion or is it based on the target of the spell?
Save DCs of items are always the minimum possible for the spell in question unless specifically noted otherwise. Staffs note otherwise, but I can't recall any other kind of item that does. Thus, it is 10 + spell level + the ability score modifier that corresponds to an ability score of 10+spell level.

Mirror Image: Can this be enchanted onto something like a ring so that whenever I put it on it creates illusionary duplicates or is this something that would have to be used in Wand/Potion form?
Putting it on a ring as described would be creating a custom item, for which talking with your DM is the only real answer.

Mirror Image is a personal range spell, and Spells with a range of personal cannot be made into potions. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#creatingPotions) You could make a wand for it, but using it would require either a Use Magic Device skill check or at least one level in a class that has Mirror Image on the class spell list.

Displacement: Does the 50% miss chance include spells?
Only spells that use attack rolls.

lsfreak
2010-01-11, 05:42 PM
- Burning Hands:
Burning Hands is in no way related to your melee attacks. You take a standard action to cast the spell, a cone of fire shoots out, people make saves as appropriate, and that's all. In addition, you need a wand or scroll to cast it, as well as Use Magic Device in order to activate them since you do not have those spells on your spell list (not having a spell list at all, and such spells cannot be put into potions).
It is likewise with shocking grasp, though here you can cast it and use an actual melee attack to discharge the spell. You still only get the damage once per cast, however.

- Enlarge Person
Nope.

- Fist of Stone
It specifies you can use it as a secondary natural weapon, meaning you can flurry and then use the slam attack with a -5 penalty (that is, your highest attack bonus -5).

- Balancing Lorecall
Yes, with a DC20, +5 per round, at half speed (or DC25 +5/rnd at full speed).

- Blade Weave:
A spells save is the 10 + spell level + relevant casting ability modifier. For scrolls and wands, this is a default of 10 + spell level + the modifier for the minimum score to cast the spell. In this case, a wand or scroll would have a DC of 12.

- Mirror Image:
Ask your DM; this is a custom item. No such item exists. The guidelines - which are very strictly guidelines, and not rules - puts such an item at 10,800gp, but that's far too cheap for its usefulness.

- Displacement:
Only those that use attack rolls. If it does not include an attack roll, than miss chance does nothing against it.

Now, it's clear to point out that some things can't be enchanted, made into potions, or the like.
- Potions are only for spells that affect you, the 'caster.' Only spells that target 'one creature' or the like are legal for making potions out of. Not 'personal' or 'self,' only 'one creature' (or 'one creature per level,' or the like). Fireball doesn't have a target entry in its spell description, so it's not applicable. I suppose you could make a potion of Shocking Grasp, but all it would do would zap the drinker for 1d6 damage per caster level.

- You can't use wands without having the spell on your caster list (though you don't need to know the spell). If you're not a caster, you need ranks in Use Magic Device to use wands.

- You can't just enchant items with spells, for the most part. If you come up with items that you don't find in a book, be *sure* to run it by your DM. And some spells simply weren't meant to be made: an at-will Mirror Image only prices as 10800 but is better than a cloak of displacement that costs 25000.

Rasman
2010-01-11, 07:36 PM
- Burning Hands:
Burning Hands is in no way related to your melee attacks. You take a standard action to cast the spell, a cone of fire shoots out, people make saves as appropriate, and that's all. In addition, you need a wand or scroll to cast it, as well as Use Magic Device in order to activate them since you do not have those spells on your spell list (not having a spell list at all, and such spells cannot be put into potions).
It is likewise with shocking grasp, though here you can cast it and use an actual melee attack to discharge the spell. You still only get the damage once per cast, however.

- Enlarge Person
Nope.

- Fist of Stone
It specifies you can use it as a secondary natural weapon, meaning you can flurry and then use the slam attack with a -5 penalty (that is, your highest attack bonus -5).

- Balancing Lorecall
Yes, with a DC20, +5 per round, at half speed (or DC25 +5/rnd at full speed).

- Blade Weave:
A spells save is the 10 + spell level + relevant casting ability modifier. For scrolls and wands, this is a default of 10 + spell level + the modifier for the minimum score to cast the spell. In this case, a wand or scroll would have a DC of 12.

- Mirror Image:
Ask your DM; this is a custom item. No such item exists. The guidelines - which are very strictly guidelines, and not rules - puts such an item at 10,800gp, but that's far too cheap for its usefulness.

- Displacement:
Only those that use attack rolls. If it does not include an attack roll, than miss chance does nothing against it.

Now, it's clear to point out that some things can't be enchanted, made into potions, or the like.
- Potions are only for spells that affect you, the 'caster.' Only spells that target 'one creature' or the like are legal for making potions out of. Not 'personal' or 'self,' only 'one creature' (or 'one creature per level,' or the like). Fireball doesn't have a target entry in its spell description, so it's not applicable. I suppose you could make a potion of Shocking Grasp, but all it would do would zap the drinker for 1d6 damage per caster level.

- You can't use wands without having the spell on your caster list (though you don't need to know the spell). If you're not a caster, you need ranks in Use Magic Device to use wands.

- You can't just enchant items with spells, for the most part. If you come up with items that you don't find in a book, be *sure* to run it by your DM. And some spells simply weren't meant to be made: an at-will Mirror Image only prices as 10800 but is better than a cloak of displacement that costs 25000.

I'm not actually planning on using the wands, they're being given to my wizard to be used on me before battles that we get a prep time for.

Well I'm glad I was at least partly right about Fist of Stone and Balancing Lorecall, although burning hands and the like kinda disappointed me, and Blade Weave may still be worth it against things will bad will saves. I will ask about the Mirror Image thing, because, from a RAW standpoint it sounds too awesome to not try and get, worst case scenerio, he says no.

I was kinda hopeful about Burning Hands and Shocking Grasp though, are there any potions or elixers OR anything that doesn't require a UMD check that would give me a similar effect?

Douglas
2010-01-11, 08:02 PM
An oil of Flame of Faith (Spell Compendium) would make your fists +1 Flaming for 5 rounds. Cost 750 gp.

deuxhero
2010-01-11, 08:06 PM
As you are asking about potions, here is a quick piece of advice.

Avoid them at all cost. They cost an excessive ammount of money for their cost and effect. Further, the only spells that can be held are not things that should be used IN combat, and if you aren't IN combat, a scroll or wand used by the wizard/cleric is cheeper.
If core you may want a single vial of cure minor wounds each to stablize someone (nothing else is worth anything), but there are cheaper and better methods to have that lifeline (blessed bandage) for that outside of core.

As for burning hands, I am pretty sure there IS a first level buff spell that gives weapons the flaming ability. I know NWN2 (http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Blades_of_Fire) has it, but I'm not sure where the PNP version is from.

Rasman
2010-01-11, 09:06 PM
As you are asking about potions, here is a quick piece of advice.

Avoid them at all cost. They cost an excessive ammount of money for their cost and effect. Further, the only spells that can be held are not things that should be used IN combat, and if you aren't IN combat, a scroll or wand used by the wizard/cleric is cheaper.
If core you may want a single vial of cure minor wounds each to stablize someone (nothing else is worth anything), but there are cheaper and better methods to have that lifeline (blessed bandage) for that outside of core.

As for burning hands, I am pretty sure there IS a first level buff spell that gives weapons the flaming ability. I know NWN2 (http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Blades_of_Fire) has it, but I'm not sure where the PNP version is from.

I'm well aware that potions are relatively pricey and expensive, but in lue of not having the party wizard in range to use a wand on me, they're a good alternative, IMHO.

I think I've seen Blades of Fire on a caster list somewhere, I'll have to go though my references again to find it though.

ericgrau
2010-01-11, 09:09 PM
Here are the Player's Handbook potions you can get. Other targeted spells from other books may also be made into potions, where you become the target.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/potionsAndOils.htm

elonin
2010-01-11, 09:19 PM
Forget the potion of healing if you have access to the MIC. Instead get the healing belt which can stabilize 3 times per day. Your cleric should be using the vigor chain of spells with mass vigor being the best.

Rasman
2010-01-11, 09:37 PM
Here are the Player's Handbook potions you can get. Other targeted spells from other books may also be made into potions, where you become the target.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/potionsAndOils.htm

ah, many thanks Eric, greatly appreciated

lsfreak
2010-01-12, 01:09 PM
I will ask about the Mirror Image thing, because, from a RAW standpoint it sounds too awesome to not try and get, worst case scenerio, he says no.
I would honestly say, just don't do it. For 10800, it's flat-out better than an item that costs more than twice as much, and borders on better than an item that costs 5 times as much (meaning the cloaks of displacement). Asking for it at 11k crosses the line from 'well-intended suggestion' to 'purposely trying to break the game.'

Tyndmyr
2010-01-12, 01:14 PM
Save DCs of items are always the minimum possible for the spell in question unless specifically noted otherwise. Staffs note otherwise, but I can't recall any other kind of item that does. Thus, it is 10 + spell level + the ability score modifier that corresponds to an ability score of 10+spell level.

Technically, I believe since metamagiced spells can be scribed to scrolls, you could get a hightened spell to get a higher DC. This does rapidly increase scroll cost, though, so it's actual use in a game would be marginal at best.

Monks really do get screwed on so many levels, don't they?