PDA

View Full Version : So...now i am undead

Gnaritas
2010-01-11, 05:26 PM
To make a long story short. My 12th level wizard has a Corpse Creature template forced upon him.
While this has some benefits and problems, i am most worried about a cleric Turning/Rebuking Undead. So i want to start looking into items or spells to fix this.
Feats wont help, since it will take me 3 more levels before i get the next.

Any ideas on how to solve the Turning problem?
Any ideas that suddenly become possible now that i am an undead?

Touchy
2010-01-11, 05:50 PM
What's your history with this DM, if it is bad, the case his he probably intends to use an evil cleric to command you instead.

Commanding rules as of the SRD:

Commanded
A commanded undead creature is under the mental control of the evil cleric. The cleric must take a standard action to give mental orders to a commanded undead. At any one time, the cleric may command any number of undead whose total Hit Dice do not exceed his level. He may voluntarily relinquish command on any commanded undead creature or creatures in order to command new ones.

This being said, I don't have much experience with 3.5

Gnaritas
2010-01-11, 05:54 PM
Oh, he is not screwing me over intentionally, that is for sure. But as our party is leading into a more evil path, it is not unlikely we will eventually encounter a Cleric or Paladin...

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-11, 05:55 PM
Scry and fry every cleric in a twenty mile radius? :smallconfused: Maybe?

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-01-11, 06:02 PM
Eh, just buy a hat of disguise and claim to be a humble sailor. That way, barring true seeing effects, any foes you come across should see you as a living creature.

taltamir
2010-01-11, 06:06 PM
1. in order to command you, the cleric must be twice your level. otherwise he merely rebukes you.

Rebuked
A rebuked undead creature cowers as if in awe (attack rolls against the creature get a +2 bonus). The effect lasts 10 rounds.

A good cleric will actually turn you, which means you must run away in fear, otherwise you cower (same effect as rebuke), but if a cleric is within 10 feet of you and approaches you the effect ends...

To actually turn you he first must make a roll of 1d20 + cha... he needs to get a result of 10-12 to turn someone of equal level. Lower results lower the max level/HD he can turn up to a max of -4, higher results increase it up to a max of +4...

so a cleric your level needs at least a 10 on that check, a cleric 4 levels below you needs a 22 on this check to even be allowed to turn you.

then he must roll 2d6 + cleric level + cha mod total HD turned. having some undead buddies around you can help soak those HD totals up...

Basically turning is horribly horribly sub par. only a level 24+ cleric can hope to command you, the rest can only get the option to make you run away at full speed / cower if cannot and the effect breaks if they actually approach you.

Guancyto
2010-01-11, 06:07 PM
Let's see...

Mantle of Turn Resistance gets you +4 to your effective level for the purpose of being turned. 12000 GP, in Libris Mortis.

Bagpipes of the Damned get you and all nearby undead another +4 turn resistance for 1 minute with a DC 15 (15?) Perform (Wind Instruments) check. Use that if you know you're going up against a high-level cleric. 3000GP, also Libris Mortis.

There's a feat that grants another +4, also in LM. Even though you can't get it for a while, it'll be a godsend if the DM proves he enjoys throwing turning at you during those three levels.

I believe all three of these should stack. It's a pretty hefty investment, but it should be nearly impossible to Command you and you'll be much harder to Rebuke.

And yes, hide the fact that you're undead.

taltamir
2010-01-11, 06:08 PM
And yes, hide the fact that you're undead.

awesome idea... hat of disguise. undead? where?

JoshuaZ
2010-01-11, 06:11 PM
awesome idea... hat of disguise. undead? where?

Also there's a spell in Libris Mortis and the Spell Compenium "Disguise Undead". It wait for it... disguises undead! The spell last for 24 hours and is pretty low level. That might work also.

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-11, 06:12 PM
I think a spell stitched familiar will also grant you a turning bonus.

Gnaritas
2010-01-11, 06:15 PM
Also there's a spell in Libris Mortis and the Spell Compenium "Disguise Undead". It wait for it... disguises undead! The spell last for 24 hours and is pretty low level. That might work also.

If i banned Illusion, can i use an Eternal Wand of this spell?

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-11, 06:16 PM
You'd need to make a UMD check to use an eternal wand of a spell from a banned school

OldTrees
2010-01-11, 07:04 PM
Now that you are undead, I would suggest buying a +1 Spellguard Quaterstaff.
The weapon costs 7000gp (Players Guide to Faerun) an gives immunity to 1 targeted spell (I would pick Disintegrate). It also lets you redirect the spell as a free action next round as a bonus.

If you have a party member who can rebuke undead then they can bolster you if necessary.

An evil cleric may also bolster undead creatures against turning in advance. He makes a turning check as if attempting to rebuke the undead, but the Hit Dice result on Table: Turning Undead becomes the undead creatures’ effective Hit Dice as far as turning is concerned (provided the result is higher than the creatures’ actual Hit Dice). The bolstering lasts 10 rounds. An evil undead cleric can bolster himself in this manner.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#turnOrRebukeUndead