PDA

View Full Version : Special abilities into feats for non spellcasters.

Gnomo
2010-01-11, 07:06 PM
What would happen if the obvious needs of non spellcasters are turned into high level feats. Like this:

Pounce
Prerequisites: Base Attack Bonus +12
Benefit: By spending your swift action for this round you can make a full attack at the end of the movement of a charge, instead of any other attack.
Special: A fighter can take this feat as a bonus feat.

Weapon Reach
Prerequisites: Weapon Focus (any weapon), Base Attack Bonus +9
Benefit: Increase the reach of all weapons in which you have the weapon focus feat by 5 feet. This benefit is not increased by a change of size or any other effect.

Weapon Master
Prerequisites: Weapon Focus (any weapon), Weapon Specialization (any weapon), Greater Weapon Focus (any weapon), Greater Weapon Specialization (any weapon), Improved Critical (any weapon), Fighter level 14th.
Benefit: Double the benefit of all the feats that are a prerequisite for this feat.

Powerful Build
Prerequisites: Strength 15, Base Attack Bonus +9.
Benefit: When resolving any opposed Strength or Attack check you are considered one size category larger than your natural size.

Rapid Attack
Prerequisites: Weapon Focus (any weapon), Dexterity 13, Base Attack Bonus +9.
Benefit: You can make an attack as an immediate or a swift action with a weapon in which you have the weapon focus feat, this attack takes one of your attack of opportunity chances for this round and has a penalty

Combat Step
Prerequisites: Dexterity 13, Dodge, Mobility, Base Attack Bonus +6.
Benefit: You can make a 5 feet step as an immediate or a swift action, this step can be done even if you have moved this round and has all the characteristics of a regular 5 feet step.

Improved Dodge
Prerequisites: Dodge.
Benefit: The bonus to AC from the Dodge feat increases to +2, you might select a second enemy to benefit from the Dodge feat.

Would it be broken?

ocdscale
2010-01-11, 07:19 PM
I think the Pounce example, and to a lesser extent the Reach example are decent, but I don't like the others.

The focus should be on giving the martial classes more options, not just bigger numbers. Although by that point, might as well whip out the ToB.

Doc Roc
2010-01-11, 07:20 PM
I can get most of those as a caster at pretty reasonable levels if I gish. So, you may want to set max caster level requirements or similar.

Evard
2010-01-11, 07:30 PM
Instead of making it bonus feats make them class abilities for the core fighter/barbarian/rogue/monk. This way it will bring the non spellcasters closer to spellcasters without having to sacrifice other feats.

jmbrown
2010-01-11, 07:33 PM
Instead of making it bonus feats make them class abilities for the core fighter/barbarian/rogue/monk. This way it will bring the non spellcasters closer to spellcasters without having to sacrifice other feats.

I always hated how the fighter's sole class ability is learning what everyone else can learn, just slightly faster.

Star Wars Saga did things right with the whole unique talents system. Fighters should get otherwise stupid feats like weapon focus and exotic weapon proficiency for free.

Evard
2010-01-11, 07:38 PM
I always hated how the fighter's sole class ability is learning what everyone else can learn, just slightly faster.

Star Wars Saga did things right with the whole unique talents system. Fighters should get otherwise stupid feats like weapon focus and exotic weapon proficiency for free.

What i hate the most is not only can they learn things faster but they don't learn them better... even with monks and rangers extra class feats.

If a monk takes deflect arrows because of his class abilities he doesn't get to do it better than if a cleric took it, the feat works the same even though its from special monk training.

Gnomo
2010-01-11, 11:12 PM
Thanks for your replies... but nobody has commented on their level of brokenness, except for the comment on gishes taking this feats.

HCL
2010-01-11, 11:20 PM
Pounce is ok but there are already better ways to get it. Reach is ok, I just would not want to take weapon focus. Weapon Master is cute, but I could be using shock trooper + leap attack.

A lot of them are also cutting into your swift action. I would rather be using a boost or switching stances.

Fiery Diamond
2010-01-11, 11:25 PM
Pounce is ok but there are already better ways to get it. Reach is ok, I just would not want to take weapon focus. Weapon Master is cute, but I could be using shock trooper + leap attack.

A lot of them are also cutting into your swift action. I would rather be using a boost or switching stances.

I've been trying to find a way to get Pounce. Can you explain how?

Sinfire Titan
2010-01-11, 11:50 PM
I've been trying to find a way to get Pounce. Can you explain how?

Lion-Totem (CC), TWPounce (PH2), Travel Devotion, etc.

Tavar
2010-01-11, 11:52 PM
Lions Charge(Paladin spell, SpC?), Psionic's Lion Charge(XPH).

deuxhero
2010-01-12, 12:19 AM
1.Should be earlier than level 12, but fine.
2.I'd rather grab a spiked chain, but ok.
3.The flat bonus still fails to amaze.
4.That isn't powerful build (PB allows oversized weapon use, see half-giant in the SRD). There is a reigonal feat in some FR book that does the same though.
5.I think there is a counter attack ACF for the fighter that can do that. That said, okish.
6.Eh, I think you can get more imediate movement with items.
7.Dodge still is one of the worst feats, being able to take dodge twice doesn't stop it from being such.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-12, 01:41 AM
What would happen if the obvious needs of non spellcasters are turned into high level feats. Like this:

Would it be broken?

No.

You could honestly toss all of these into a game, and I don't think it'd really touch power balance vs full casters.

Gnomo
2010-01-13, 02:24 PM
In my games i use upgraded base classes, to match the power level of newer published classes, so i give the fighter a feat every class level, do you think adding this feats to the game will make all non spellcaster characters end up taking fighter levels at high level?

Sinfire Titan
2010-01-13, 03:00 PM
In my games i use upgraded base classes, to match the power level of newer published classes, so i give the fighter a feat every class level, do you think adding this feats to the game will make all non spellcaster characters end up taking fighter levels at high level?

If they are particularly feat-starved, possibly. But it would be no different from the Warblade who dips Fighter 2 (seeing as those levels all ready have that benefit). Most would only dip 2-4 levels; any more than that and they may as well call themselves a Fighter build.