PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Wizards and/or Archivists learning & scribing

Thurbane
2010-01-11, 07:56 PM
I posted this in the Q&A thread, but didn't get any takers, so I made a thread: are there any feats, PrCs, items or spells that allow a Wizard to speed up the process of learning and scribing new spells into his book? (8 hours to learn, 24 hours to scribe).

Cheers - T

qoalabear
2010-01-11, 08:11 PM
Well there's a 3rd level wizard spell from Magic of Faerun, but you have to houserule in that version and not the Spell Compendium update.

Amanuensis (Magic of Faerun, page 77)
Has a specific line to allow the copying of spells from a spellbook as long as you provide all the costly materials as if it were copied by hand. It presumably still functions at 1 page per minute for this function, so a full 100 page spellbook may be duplicated in under two hours. You still have to decipher and learn the spells yourself, however.

When the spell was updated in the Spell Compendium, it was dropped from a third level spell to a cantrip, but is strictly non-magical writing only. The line about spellbooks was dropped.

Thurbane
2010-01-11, 08:13 PM
Hmm, it's a thought, but a bit questionable for my purposes.

deuxhero
2010-01-11, 08:14 PM
Secret page?

I think some PHBII ACF allowed a mental spell book, but I'm not sure if that reduced time.

Signmaker
2010-01-11, 08:16 PM
Quill of Scribing, CMage?
Boccob's Blessed Book, MiC?

arguskos
2010-01-11, 08:20 PM
Secret page?

I think some PHBII ACF allowed a mental spell book, but I'm not sure if that reduced time.
Eidetic Spellcaster is from a Dragon Magazine, and implies that time is not affected in any way.

taltamir
2010-01-11, 08:22 PM
Quill of Scribing, CMage?
Boccob's Blessed Book, MiC?

do those actually increase the rate of scribing a spell? the blessed book afaik just reduces costs.