PDA

View Full Version : collegiate wizard gives extra spells at levelup, I heard there was another

taltamir
2010-01-11, 08:15 PM
collegiate wizard gives extra spells at levelup, I heard there was another feat / variant or some such that also increases your spells gained per level. Anyone knows if other feats / features that let you gain more spells per level on levelup?

Zeful
2010-01-11, 08:20 PM
Elven Generalist. I think it's a feat, but it could be a racial substitution level (a variant).

Though I really don't think either should actually be used in game, Wizards already have enough nice things. They don't need more.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-01-11, 08:21 PM
Elven Generalist is indeed a racial substitution level. Drawbacks are that it requires you to be an elf and a generalist.

Collegiate Wizard just gives you some thousands of GP. Compared to some other feats... *shrug*

taltamir
2010-01-11, 08:24 PM
Elven Generalist is indeed a racial substitution level. Drawbacks are that it requires you to be an elf and a generalist.

Collegiate Wizard just gives you some thousands of GP. Compared to some other feats... *shrug*

collegiate, according to some math some people have done, consistently puts you quite ahead of the party in terms of WBL.

What is a "racial substitution level"? which book is it from?

Foryn Gilnith
2010-01-11, 08:27 PM
Races of the Wild. If you're a certain race, you can replace a class feature with another, specialized class feature. In this case, you replace the ability to specialize in a school with the ability to "specialize" in generalism.

taltamir
2010-01-11, 08:30 PM
Races of the Wild. If you're a certain race, you can replace a class feature with another, specialized class feature. In this case, you replace the ability to specialize in a school with the ability to "specialize" in generalism.

so... you get an extra spell slot per level that can be used for any school you want and ban no schools?
While awesome (and transforms elfs from sub par wizards which are beaten by humans a gnome illusionists to good wizards as the flavor claims), how does this give you extra spells on level up?

arguskos
2010-01-11, 08:33 PM
so... you get an extra spell slot per level that can be used for any school you want and ban no schools?
While awesome (and transforms elfs from sub par wizards which are beaten by humans a gnome illusionists to good wizards as the flavor claims), how does this give you extra spells on level up?
1. When you level up, you get one extra spell in your book for free.
2. You gain a bonus spell slot to the highest level of spells you can cast.

That's all Elven Generalist does.

taltamir
2010-01-11, 08:43 PM
ok, i see now. I actually went ahead and looked it up and just finished reading it.

the level 3 and 5 elven wizard substitution levels suck... the level 1 though is awesome for anyone who wants to play a generalist, since you sacrifice absolutely nothing.

that is: a generalist elven wizard vs a generalist elven wizard with the substitution level; the latter gains a bonus spell slot and bonus spells known at no cost whatsoever.

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-11, 08:47 PM
Collegiate Wizard is mandatory in my group, as wizards never get down time in any way, shape or form.

herrhauptmann
2010-01-11, 08:55 PM
Collegiate Wizard is mandatory in my group, as wizards never get down time in any way, shape or form.

It's great in games that start at high level if the DM announces you can not buy access to other spells at creation, so your 16th level wizard gets stuck with the 2 per level + Extra 1st levels for a high intelligence score.

What book is Collegiate in? If I'd had that feat, I'd probably have actually played a wizard in my last game.

Kylarra
2010-01-11, 08:58 PM
What book is Collegiate in? If I'd had that feat, I'd probably have actually played a wizard in my last game.
Complete arcane (p181)

deuxhero
2010-01-11, 08:59 PM
I don't know, but it was in a preview. I'll BRB.

edit:Here it is. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20041114a) Also contains a famed early entry trick.