PDA

View Full Version : [Question][3.5] Twilight Vampires

Devour
2010-01-11, 08:41 PM
So, yes, I'm sure we'll all familiar with those vampires from that book, aka Twilight. I've just got an awkward question to ask you all. And, now, I know that some of you may not be happy with this question on these forums, but I was wondering about something. I mean, it doesn't matter if we have rogues or anything with sneak attacks. Because, you know, they're all immune. But, it's a question of principle and whether or not the laws of it even applies. It's also a question of undead or whether it's a diamond golem with a vampiric template attached. I mean, it brings up that whole bone / flesh golem debate, in many ways, but I think this is the opitome of it all.

So, I guess, that awkward question I have to ask is this: Does turn undead work on vampires from Twilight?

Drolyt
2010-01-11, 08:43 PM
I would err towards yes, but I have to ask, how do vampires work in twilight? To elaborate, using D&D as written a bit of fluff built in that many games ignore. Undead are corpses powered by negative energy from the negative energy plane, whereas constructs are objects that have been given a semblance of life by attaching an elemental spirit to them. How you fluff the different ideas really determines what you should make them.
Edit: I'm not being very clear. In order to answer questions like "what makes zombies and constructs different" WotC built in a lot of fluff such as the whole attach an elemental spirit thing. However the fluff for different creature types works for your world you should think about a bit and compare it to the Vampires from Twilight to see where they fit best. I would say probably Undead, but I don't know twilight very well.

JoshuaZ
2010-01-11, 08:47 PM
So, yes, I'm sure we'll all familiar with those vampires from that book, aka Twilight. I've just got an awkward question to ask you all. And, now, I know that some of you may not be happy with this question on these forums, but I was wondering about something. I mean, it doesn't matter if we have rogues or anything with sneak attacks. Because, you know, they're all immune. But, it's a question of principle and whether or not the laws of it even applies. It's also a question of undead or whether it's a diamond golem with a vampiric template attached. I mean, it brings up that whole bone / flesh golem debate, in many ways, but I think this is the opitome of it all.

So, I guess, that awkward question I have to ask is this: Does turn undead work on vampires from Twilight?

They don't age yes? That sounds pretty vampiric. But they also grow for a time if they are born young. So that sounds more immortal than vampires. To compare to another franchise, I don't think anyone would ever have vampires from Underworld be turned by undead. But in that case, the notion of vampire is explicitly biological. They need to eat, breathe, etc. I'm not sure that helps.

The real test is are they repulsed by people holding holy symbols ever in the books? If that is a problem they should be turnable. If not, they shouldn't be.

Unless you are intending to homebrew a Twilight vampire template, it might make more sense to ask this in the roleplaying subforum.

Drolyt
2010-01-11, 08:52 PM
They don't age yes? That sounds pretty vampiric. But they also grow for a time if they are born young. So that sounds more immortal than vampires. To compare to another franchise, I don't think anyone would ever have vampires from Underworld be turned by undead. But in that case, the notion of vampire is explicitly biological. They need to eat, breathe, etc. I'm not sure that helps.

The real test is are they repulsed by people holding holy symbols ever in the books? If that is a problem they should be turnable. If not, they shouldn't be.

Another example: Vampire Knight. They are born vampires, but can turn others into weaker vampires (there is a hierarchy, the weakest are more like zombies, the strongest have magical powers). These are almost certainly not undead; undead are creates created from corpses using necromancy. If Vampires work something like this in Twilight, maybe they shouldn't be undead or use the vampire template. On the other hand if they react violently to holy symbols you should let them be turned. It's actually kind of odd only undead can be turned, there must be similar evil creatures out there...

Maximum Zersk
2010-01-11, 08:53 PM

Unless you are intending to homebrew a Twilight vampire template, it might make more sense to ask this in the roleplaying subforum.

Stephanie Meyer barely researched Vampires, so no, they aren't repusled by Holy Symbols. They can only be killed by fire.

They are the paragon Mary Sue/ Gary Stu race.

deuxhero
2010-01-11, 08:55 PM
Diamonds are brittle, so allow bludgeon to bypass any DR.

Drolyt
2010-01-11, 08:56 PM
Stephanie Meyer barely researched Vampires, so no, they aren't repusled by Holy Symbols. They can only be killed by fire.

They are the paragon Mary Sue/ Gary Stu race.

No need to criticize them. It's not my favorite story either, but the OP just wanted to know whether they were undead. And given your answer I doubt it. They are probably Humanoid, though they would be among the strongest.

Maximum Zersk
2010-01-11, 08:59 PM
No need to criticize them. It's not my favorite story either, but the OP just wanted to know whether they were undead. And given your answer I doubt it. They are probably Humanoid, though they would be among the strongest.

I know, I know. Though, I'm guessing since they don't react to holy symbols, that would mean that they aren't undead by D&D standards, right?

Never mind, read you post again. :smalltongue:

Zexion
2010-01-11, 09:00 PM
I would say that they could be turned using a special magic item, but a cleric would need to take a special feat to do so?
"Commanded"? No
Destroyed? YES!!!

Golden-Esque
2010-01-11, 09:56 PM

Twilight Vampires do not need to eat or sleep and do not age, and they can pull themselves back together again if they're ripped apart (hence why you need to burn them). Also, part of their lore is that over the course of a year, after being turned a Twilight Vampire slowly drains/eats all of the blood within their own body, which accounts for their super strength after being turned.

I'd say yes. They're Turn-Able; nothing more then pretty-looking undead.

Drolyt
2010-01-11, 10:02 PM
Twilight Vampires do not need to eat or sleep and do not age, and they can pull themselves back together again if they're ripped apart (hence why you need to burn them). Also, part of their lore is that over the course of a year, after being turned a Twilight Vampire slowly drains/eats all of the blood within their own body, which accounts for their super strength after being turned.

I'd say yes. They're Turn-Able; nothing more then pretty-looking undead.

You might be right, the main issue is that it doesn't sound like they are created. If I am wrong, and they are created rather than born that way, do tell, and I will concede that they are indeed undead.

Brendan
2010-01-11, 10:08 PM
Vampire:
+10str
+10 dex
no con
Int always 1
wis always 1
+95 cha

Drolyt
2010-01-11, 10:10 PM
Vampire:
+10str
+10 dex
no con
Int always 1
wis always 1
+95 cha

? What do you want invincible Sorcerers? Or is this just a jab at Twilight? That shouldn't be here.

Latronis
2010-01-11, 10:13 PM
? What do you want invincible Sorcerers? Or is this just a jab at Twilight? That shouldn't be here.

A jab at twilight belongs everywhere

Drolyt
2010-01-11, 10:21 PM
A jab at twilight belongs everywhere

Except on these forums. I'm not a mod and won't try to fulfill their duties, but one of the reasons I like GitP forums is the friendly atmosphere and the strict rules that govern it. Bashing media works, even ones I don't like, isn't acceptable because it can upset individuals who do like said works, even if they are rare on this forum.

Tavar
2010-01-11, 10:35 PM
Umm...I don't think that's an actual rule. You can't bash people, but bashing other non-banned topics is fair game. I've seen much, much worse allowed, and that's with Moderators looking over the threads in question.

Kiren
2010-01-11, 10:58 PM
I believe we cannot refer to them as vampires, the closest agreeable term is Twi-pire, I believe. Since they are still undead though, yes they are turnable, the question should be, do they sparkle when they are turned too?

elliott20
2010-01-11, 10:59 PM
though, let's not forget that somehow, Edward was able to procreate. So, in light of that, I'm not sure if that has an impact on this.

Roland St. Jude
2010-01-11, 11:03 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: This isn't a homebrew issue. Also, while criticizing media is fine, it can cross into trolling if you show up in a thread just to attack something and spark flames.