PDA

View Full Version : Spontaneous Divine casters [3.5 D&D]

Fortuna
2010-01-11, 09:35 PM
Is it OK to use these in a campaign with prepared divine casters? And if so, would a spontaneous Cloistered Cleric be too insane?

Glimbur
2010-01-11, 09:39 PM
It mostly depends on how many spells they can choose between to cast spontaneously. Spontaneous casting of the entire cleric list is really good, while as many spells known as a sorcerer (or favored soul) should be workable. Then you're trading the favored soul things for domains, which is a trade I would make in a heartbeat.

Fortuna
2010-01-11, 09:41 PM
I am referring to this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/spontaneousDivineCasters.htm) spontaneous divine casters variant.

Glimbur
2010-01-11, 10:07 PM
That should be fine, but watch out for various full casting PrC's that add domains. I would suggest letting them have 2 domain spells/level, no matter how many domains they have. They still get the granted power of each domain, and would get to select which domains they get spells from each level so there is some incentive to get more domains but it's not extreme.

dspeyer
2010-01-11, 10:24 PM
Spontaneous and prepared divine spellcasters should mix fine in one campaign. You might want to invent some fluff explaining why some are one and some the other.

Spontaneous cloistered cleric might be a little more powerful than intended, since extra domains are a big help to spontaneous clerics. Some warning for Divine Oracle, Contemplative, etc. It's still not all that big a deal, though.