PDA

View Full Version : Question about Faerun's map legend

Laharal
2010-01-11, 09:58 PM
Hi,
I just wanted to know what ''clear/mix'' vegetation meant on Fearun's map (beige/sand color often and everywhere on the map).
1)I got problems to understand mix (of what and what)
2) And for me a land clear of trees that is not a barren land is a grassland or open plains (agricultural or not).

Many thanks

Kallisti
2010-01-11, 10:04 PM
I believe it means the area has patches of light vegetation of several kinds, but I can't be certain. Tried Googling "clear/mix vegetation" yet? If it's supposed to make sense, then it's probably defined somewhere on the internet.

Harperfan7
2010-01-11, 10:29 PM
It's a little bit of everything, it'll have flat plain-like areas and hills and woods, but they'll all be kinda mixed together. It probably won't be wilderness though, it'll have farms and towns and roads and whatnot.

Just think American midwest.

Zeta Kai
2010-01-11, 11:16 PM
That's always bothered me. I like everything else about the FR-style maps, except that terrain. I don't mind the terrain itself; that makes sense. And I understand what the mix-type terrain means; as a cartographer myself, I got that, too. :smallannoyed:

No, what I don't get is why they had to make the "mixed grass & brush" terrain look like a depiction of a desert on the map! Ugh. That bugs me so much. It looks like the exact opposite of what it should. Everything else is clean & intuitive, but the the grassy areas look like sand. Why. No question, just Why. :smallmad: