PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some decent Sahuagin advancements

TaintedLight
2010-01-12, 02:42 AM
Does anybody know where I can find a statblock for some advanced saguagin? I'd like to use them as a swarm enemy for a campaign based in an archipelago, so they'd basically be ideal. I'd rather use sahuagin than kuo-toa because the deities in this setting are all dragons and the sahuagin claim to be descended directly from the gods since they are reptilian. If there are no pre-existing stats for advanced sahuagin, suggestions on how to advance them by class levels and determine resulting CRs would be greatly appreciated.

Eldariel
2010-01-12, 04:56 AM
Well, there are the Sahuagin Mutants which should probably have some extra HD; Large, 6-HD 4-armed Sahuagin would be pretty damn frightening. Vanilla could be nice, but the real kickass would be a Sahuagin Mutant Lion Totem Barbarian.

Rake + Pounce + 5 natural attacks (or TWF-feats, Power Attack and two two-handed weapons; double Tridents!) is pretty damn impressive; could serve as a kind of "caged beast" of sorts. Or a leader, if they're on average of relatively low levels.

Other than that, most Sahuagin should advance by class level (though tossing few extra HD and maybe some particularly strong ones works). Sahuagin Rangers/Swift Hunters, Sahuagin Adepts or Wizards, Sahuagin Warblades or Crusaders (depending on your books used), Sahuagin Barbarians, and Clerics (of Sekolah) too. Sahuagin Druids (with Shark-companions) also make a world of sense, and are something I'd use. These could all be built in a fairly standard way; casters can kinda have their spells themed after water and the whole bunch should probably be armed with appropriate weapons, but eh.

Then of course, if in water, you can utilize the sharks Sahuagin tend to keep as pets. Oh, and Sahuagin Rogue sniping from water (if they're nearby) can be pretty awesome; there's Aquatic Crossbow and Aquatic Bow in Stormwrack.

As for CR, the rules are here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#advancedMonsterChallengeRati ng). Basically 3 HD = +1 CR, size increase (and modifiers) = +1 CR, nonassociated class level (e.g. Cleric/Wizard/Druid here) = +½ CR per level up until Level = HD (then it's associated), associated class level = +1CR per level