PDA

View Full Version : Goblins: the Exodus (IN-CHARACTER)

Pages : [1] 2

Kensen
2010-01-12, 03:13 AM
Round 1 begins!

Snowember the 1st, Greenwood Forest

The exodus began. Pyrhekk did as promised, she set a star on fire and sent it tumbling down from the skies. The burning star flew northeast and disappeared somewhere beyond the horizon.

"Walk, ya goblins, walk until ya feetses cannot carry ya anymore!", a goblin elder shouted. "Follow the star!"

And that's what the tribe did. Twenty families in all, about 250 goblins began their journey that cold and starlit night. They arrived in a vast forest called Greenwood. They were still in the human territory, but the big ugly humies never ventured very deep into the forest. But if they stayed too long, the humans would surely send an army to chase them off. But for now, the goblins were safe.

It was time to gather resources; to fell trees and hunt!

REGION FEATURES

Lush: Plant and animal life is abundant in this region. Add +1 on any Hunting and Woodcutting rolls.

WEEKLY CHALLENGES AND OPTIONAL QUESTS

This is the only region in the game where there is no weekly challenge or optional quests. Enjoy it while you can. :smallbiggrin:

NEW INVENTION

BOMB (3 Crafting Reserve Units)

This simple incendiary device is created by pouring alcohol, tar and animal blood into a stolen vase or similar container, and fitted with a fuse. When ignited and thrown, it sets things on fire and creates a thick, choking cloud of smoke.

The bomb grants a +2 bonus on Fighting rolls. This bonus stacks with other tool bonuses but not with itself. When attacking or accepting a fighting challenge, you must declare if you're going to use a bomb. The bomb is a one-shot object.

Goonthegoof
2010-01-12, 03:32 AM
Woodcutting roll- PLEASE do not be a 1
[roll0]
Edit: YESSSSSS

Goonthegoof
2010-01-12, 03:35 AM
The Stonehammers offer a trade- We will build a giant campfire with room for 4 other families. You can stay at our campfire by giving us a resource point or a food point. Stay at our campfire requires two rules:
You may not attack another family that is also staying at our campfire
You must aid any family that is around our campfire if it is attacked by another family. In this way you are guaranteed protection if you stay at the fire. (We will get a +4 to opposed attack rolls, attacking would be suicide)

Kensen
2010-01-12, 04:26 AM
Nice start, Stonehammers. :smallsmile:

Grim: (roll)1d6+1(/roll) <- replace round brackets with square ones ] and [

Kessler
2010-01-12, 04:50 AM
Firegazers

After uttering a short prayer, the Firegazers moved to cut firewood.

[roll0]

After a day of hard work, enough wood was gathered for a large fire.

Wood: 6*

OOC - [roll]1d6+1[/roll(])

*Wait, there is a +1 Bonus due to region being Lush.

Kensen
2010-01-12, 05:32 AM
Grim, you'll have to write a new post. The roll tags won't work in an edited post, so as to prevent cheating.

Grim ranger
2010-01-12, 05:43 AM
Okay, new post...and Sureshots hunting roll (which, I pray, works this time around...):

[roll0]

Edit: Well, that did not go as well as I expected...but combined to Lush bonus I still get 3 food units, which should be enough.

Goonthegoof
2010-01-12, 09:25 AM
So, does anyone want to stay at my massive campfire? Room for all, yo.

Kessler
2010-01-12, 10:08 AM
Wouldn't mind if I do :)

d13
2010-01-12, 11:00 AM
Treechoppers, is woodcutting time!

[roll0] + 1 for the lush region. Four points. Nice enough.

The Treechoppers offer a deal for whoever is interested. For a Food unit (or crafting unit, if those are tradeable), and a non-violence pact, you'll be allowed to stay at our campfire. Fighting help would be appreciated, but is not mandatory, at least for now.
If we get enough interest, we might build a Large Bonfire to accomodate the masses.

Goonthegoof
2010-01-12, 11:17 AM
Copycat:smalltongue:

d13
2010-01-12, 11:25 AM
Never read the thread :smalltongue:

Side note: Let's band together. We take turns building the bonfire, and divide whatever the rest other 3 families give in exchange for a place. What do you think?

Grim ranger
2010-01-12, 11:35 AM
OOC: I think now would be perfect time to get in character... don't you all agree? Makes game more fun :smallbiggrin:

IC: The sureshots laid concealed in snow-covered bushes, waiting. Their snares had been set up well ahead of time, and the members of the tribe were silently observing their hunting ground with keen orange eyes. Old Gnarl was leading, as usual. The elder motioned the rest of the sureshots to crawl closer and motioned to pack of deer that were slowly approaching.

"There comes the prey. Prepare, they are close enough soon."

The sureshots crawled nearer to the edge of the bushes, ready to leap out when their traps were sprung.

As their prey moved to the traps, Gnarl and the rest of the hunters sprung from the bushes, running at the startled deers. One of them went down with well-aimed stone and the rest scattered, fleeing back the way they came. The pursuit was called off and the goblins checked their pit traps. Two more of the deer had fallen inside and impaled themselves on sharpened wooden stakes littering the bottom of the traps.

The goblins hauled their prey from the traps, satisfied. It was not much, but even this much meat meant that the family would survive for while longer and they even had enough meat to trade. Dragging their kills with them, Sureshots started to look for a fire.

Kessler
2010-01-12, 12:49 PM
Firegazers

Since the Warriors risk their lives in combat, they are invited to stay by the Firegazer's fire (no more then two warriors). In exchange Firegazers ask for protection against humans and other threats. Hunters, Crafters and Woodcutters must contribute 1 point of resource, food would be a priority until at least 1 point is donated.

Interested in purchase of a Cart.

Jokes
2010-01-12, 01:09 PM
Ironsoul

The Ironsoul quickly busy themselves, foraging for food as best they can.

[roll0] +1 lush bonus

White-with-One takes up the Treechoppers on their offer, bringing some of the food with him to their campfire. (-1 Food)

"Your axes seem a little dull, I'm sure we could help make your job easier by making you some new ones. Or perhaps some bows for hunting?"

Clan Stats:

Chief: White-with-One

Resources:
{table=head]Food | Wood | Crafting
4 | 0 | 0[/table]

Tabled Trades:
-d13: Offering tools in exchange for any other resource. Won't be until next week or later until we can fill the order.

Tools-
None

Yarp
2010-01-12, 02:06 PM
Gasbags

With their small group of houses burnt to the ground from dem pesky humies, the Gasbags follow the massive tribe of migratory greenskins. Chieftain Foxtrot names a group of Gasbags to pick up tinder and firewood. Always glad to multitask, the group went in search of trees unchopped by the other families, talking as they traipsed through the shrubbery. The Gasbags hope to cooperate with another clan for the week, trading food for a warm fire to sleep by.

OOC: I would gladly join someone else's campfire this week, but I already made an agreement with Tapeleg91.

Woodcutting roll:
[roll0] (add +1 for Lush bonus)

Tapeleg91
2010-01-12, 02:10 PM
Party Boyz

After kicking one too many 'crons, the exhausted boyz realize that they need food.

[roll0] + 1(lush) and +1(hunter)

The boyz take the food to the Gasbag's fire (-1 food).

Kessler
2010-01-12, 03:03 PM
Firegazers

Blaze Firegazer approaches the camp of Treechoppers and asks to speak with Garum Treechoper.

''I heard you wanted to make a fire together with other woodcutter. If the offer is still open I'd like to take you on it. As long as my family gets a warm meal out of this arrangement I'm willing to contribute 2 Wood for the fire.''

Greystone
2010-01-12, 03:43 PM
Shadow trees

Hunting [roll0] (+1 Lush, +1 hunters)

Lida waited and then,, jumped.The Boar, which had been peacefully grazing, cried out in pain as the goblin's blade sunk into its eye. It squeled and tried to buck her off. Several more Shadow tree goblins bled out of the Shadow's and added their own damage in the form of slings and javalins.

With an oink the pig inally collaped, and Lida stood, and brushed herself off "Good kill, tonight we feast on Pig Flesh!"

The other goblins crowed, but then stumbled one of the younger goblins, a male name greenstripe. He smiled and held up a handful of small white objects "And eggs!"

The others groaned.

Later that night they attempt to get a spot by the Stonehammers fire. (-1 food)

storyteller
2010-01-12, 03:53 PM
"Let's go boys!" said the biggest of the Bloodspears, and so the hunt began. Howling like wolves they drove their prey to an ambush and surrounded it, a lone deer. A mighty dark red spear flew at the deer and pierced its heart, killing it instantly.

The chieftain pulled his spear free and looked at the dead deer. "Not enuff! Take it back to camp! The hunt continues!"

[roll0]

OoC: 5 food units, not bad.

Grokk was satisfied. He counted that his family now had food for five weeks, which meant they could pursue other goals in the coming weeks. Grokk smiled a toothy smile.

He took his mighty spear and walked to the Firegazers' camp. "Nice fire. Who's ya boss? We gotta talk."

Grokk picked his nose and scratched his forehead while waiting for the leader of the other goblin family.

"I be Grokk of the Bloodspears. I hear ya have a job for a bunch of fitors. I take it! Anyone wants to kick ya ass, Grokk kick their ass! We stay at your fire. Deal?"

If the Firegazers agree, the Bloodspears shall attack anyone who threatens the Firegazers.

Grim ranger
2010-01-12, 04:46 PM
The sureshots had searched for other families for a while, and finally found one: a fire was inviting sight to weary and cold goblins, expecially as hunting had been less than satisfactory. Trudging towards the fire, Gnarl called out:

"Who is in charge here? We would like to share your fire, and we have food with which to pay for our stay."

Go to Firegazers, pay 1 food to get to stay near the fire.

Family stats:

The Sureshots

Leader: Old Gnarl

Speciality: Hunting

Food: 2 units (1 after the family has eaten their necessary share, third unit given to Firegazers in exchange for place around the fire)
Wood: 0 units
Craft: 0 units
Tools: none

Trade offers: Buying Craft reserve from any who want to trade it, giving any spare Food in return. Usual policy: 1 Food in exhange of 1 Craft reserve

Allies: Firegazers (possibly?)

Enemies: None

Goonthegoof
2010-01-12, 04:49 PM
Welcome to the campfire Greystone, remember not to kill anyone at it and you'll be fine. If a fellow camp family is attacked, adding your family to the defense doesn't cost you a thing. Even if the battle is lost only the family who was attacked loses anything, so around this campfire its in everyone's best interest to protect each other.

Kessler
2010-01-12, 04:54 PM
Firegazers

Blaze greets Grokk of the Bloodspears with smile. The place at fire is yours mighty warrior. Let the Rattor Blooddrinker help you bash the human skulls as we follow the fire sign to our homeland.

Blaze accepted the food offered by Sureshots and promised by the Pyrhekk's name, that at nightfall a fire wood be prepared for their family. Blaze Firegazer introduced himself to Gnarl Sureshot as the leader of his family.

Greystone
2010-01-12, 05:02 PM
Welcome to the campfire Greystone, remember not to kill anyone at it and you'll be fine. If a fellow camp family is attacked, adding your family to the defense doesn't cost you a thing. Even if the battle is lost only the family who was attacked loses anything, so around this campfire its in everyone's best interest to protect each other.

Lida shrugs and gives a noncommital shrug before giving them a basket of eggs.

storyteller
2010-01-12, 05:40 PM
"Arright, boys, we got ourselfs a place at the fire!" The Bloodspears quickly join the Firegazers at the fire. Grokk also greets the Sureshots, and everyone else who are gathered around the same campfire.

Bloodspears stats:

Food: 5
Perk: Fighter
XP: Hunting (1)
Deals: Protecting the Firegazers for a place at their fire.

Yarp
2010-01-12, 06:13 PM
Gasbags

After a blessing to Pyrhhek for the sacred burning star and for the gift of fire, the younger Gasbags, or "skabs", received an instruction seminar on the fine art of Firecrafting. As shavings from the massive load of lumber the family gathered began to crackle and burn, the family was met by a group of brightly-clothed gobbos bearing a plate of meat.

Upon seeing the Party Boyz, Chief Foxtrot declared "Is you friend, or somefink else? If you've come to trade our fire for your food, we'z gladly let you join us. We bring da heat, you bring da meat!"

Gasbag Stats:

Leader: Foxtrot of da Gasbags
Speciality: Crafting
Food: 0 units (supposedly 1 unit from the Party Boyz)
Wood: 5 units (7 gathered - 2 for small bonfire)
Craft: 0 units
Equipment: none
Trade: Trading food from the Party Boyz for a place by the fire.
Allies: None

Tapeleg91
2010-01-12, 06:20 PM
Chief Suppaslugga replies to the Gasbags:

"Trade food for fire! Methinks that good deal - good enough for a night full of 'CRON STOMPIN'!"

And the party ensues, with plenty of Krump'ee to dance to.

Jokes
2010-01-13, 09:42 AM
Ok, I'm trying to get a visual representation going of who's at what campfire, because it's pretty darn confuzzling.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh111/jokersmods/Campfires.jpg

Seem correct?

Kensen
2010-01-13, 09:46 AM
That's very useful, thanks Jokes! Yes I think that's the current situation.

Goonthegoof
2010-01-13, 09:46 AM
You used Goblins avatars I love you forever!

Jokes
2010-01-13, 10:02 AM
You used Goblins avatars I love you forever!

:smallbiggrin: How could I not?

Also, in case it wasn't obvious, the colour of the square around the token indicates the class-

Red- Fighter
Cyan- Crafter
Green- Hunter
Orange - Woodcutter

Let me know if I'm wrong about anything.

BobElliot
2010-01-13, 12:50 PM
[roll0] wood roll (+1 for lush)

The pullyus look around, and realize that there is no room at any fires for them. They can always gain some food, in return for their help; what they can't do is survive a week in the cold.

In return for food, the Pushmi Pullyu family will help protect any benefactor, for at least as long as is needed. Or, they will share their small fire with a family that provides the food for the week.

d13
2010-01-13, 02:41 PM
It seems like I'm going to be having a REALLY sparse Internet connection for the next month, if any. I'm sorry for the ones who wanted to stay at the bonfire, but I'm going to have to drop this game :smallfrown:
Hope you all have fun, and I'm sorry D:

Kensen
2010-01-13, 04:14 PM
Ok, thanks for letting us know. The Pullyus gathered some firewood, perhaps they can join the fire and get some food in return.

Kessler
2010-01-13, 05:22 PM
Firegazers will mantain a large fire. Pullyus are welcome to it, if they contribute 2 wood. Ironsouls can provide them with 1 food.

OOC - Maybe in the next Goblin game than, see you d13.

The Bookworm
2010-01-13, 05:32 PM
Kyra looked around the crowded area. She saw plenty of fires, and approached the one created by the Pushmi Pullyus.
"Attention!" She saluted to them, "Greetings, blessed be Seyhja and all her undergods and undergoddesses, none of whom are worthy of full mention at this time. Good tidings upon this fire. We offer you food in exchange for a place at our fire."
Meanwhile, in the lush forest, Kyril and Lin are having some silent father-daughter time while hunting. [roll0] (+1 perk, +1 lush)

Kuma Da
2010-01-13, 08:39 PM
Redcrows

Hunting: [roll0]+1 hunting +1 lush

BobElliot
2010-01-13, 08:39 PM
With a matching salute and an apologetic bow, the Pullyus say "Thank you for the offer, but we cannot respond in full. We will give you 1 wood for your fire, but we desire the larger social environment that is found in the Firegazer's midst."
I wish to give 2 wood to the firegazers for their fire, and 1 wood to Kyra.

Kuma Da
2010-01-13, 08:58 PM
Redcrows

Preya eyed the stag. From behind his tuft of marsh grass, he studied the rippling muscles in its flanks. Watched them slowly relax as it lowered its neck and took a sip from the pond.

His heart hammered in his throat. It would be his first kill. His first honest bounty to bring back to Wisdom Sikti. Acceptance settled on his shoulders in a warm mantle. All he had to do was wait a few more moments. Wait for its guard to slip just a little more. Then he would steal across the open space between them and sink his fangs into its neck. He would show his kin--those who called him Weakest--that he was nothing of the sort, just as soon as he...

With a bloodcurdling scream, chieftan Braki exploded out of the shallow water, sloughing off inky-rich mud as he hurtled through the air, seized the stag by the neck, and clawed open its carotid. It stood stock still, frozen by shock, while Braki worried away at its flesh, widening the wound and swelling the flow of spurting blood until, with an abrupt spasm, the stag died. It hit the grassy ground with a thump, crushing Preya's hopes beneath it.

Crawling out from behind the marsh grass, he slunk away. Better for Braki not to witness his moment of failure. Better to become a ghost in the woods, until opportunity presented itself again.

There would be other days for fame. Today, he would be content to eat.

Anyone want some noms in exchange for another body at their campfire? I've got loads of food. Accordingly, the Redcrows will trade with anyone at a rate of one food for one crafting supply or cord of wood.

Rauthiss
2010-01-13, 09:12 PM
The tribe of Goldclaws approaches the fire created by the Stonehammers. Coming close, they offer what skills they have to help create the fire.

"We team up. Protect you. Give supplies. Raid later.", Says chief Geshk.

Jokes
2010-01-13, 09:42 PM
[I'm assuming we are retconning d13 out of the game? So the food I gave to him will instead go to the firegazers?

Oh, and the offer of crafting axes is now directed towards the firegazers :smallbiggrin:]

The Bookworm
2010-01-13, 09:53 PM
Kyra accepts the offer of the wood from the Pullyus, but he is clearly worried about the lack of wood. She needs more to build a fire.

Goonthegoof
2010-01-13, 10:07 PM
The Stonehammers would like to cordially invite the Redcrows to join them at their bonfire in exchange for food.

The stonehammers would also be pleased to accept the Goldclaws at their fire in exchange for a craft or food resource unit.

Rauthiss
2010-01-13, 10:14 PM
Goldclaws

Resource roll: [CRAFTING] [roll0]

Chief Geshk accepts the offer, and gives the stonehammers a box of crafting supplies.

"Should attack now. You give us weapons, we conquer! Get much supplies." He says, as diplomatically as possible for a Goldclaw.

Goonthegoof
2010-01-13, 11:00 PM
"Need more goblin friends, more weapons."

Kuma Da
2010-01-13, 11:22 PM
Redcrows

Wisdom Sikti is old. Older than most goblins have any right to be. She hides this fact as best she can in the strong, resonant sound of her voice, and in the voluminous robes that she wraps about her, but lately her body has begun to show the weary weight that the seasons have heaped upon it. This morning, when she woke up to a touch of frost, her bones creaked and complained. She wonders idly if she will survive the journey, then decides that it doesn't matter. She has a people to tend to. A people who will lapse into petty feuding and raids without her guidance. She has already given the best years of her life to clan Redcrows. She will not begrudge them the rest.

Rising from the sheltered hollow where she had bedded down the night before, Wisdom Sikti goes out to make contact with the other tribes.

-

"Breema, you say?" A pair of chipped porcelain cups sit on the stump between them; Sikti and the Stonehammer elder. Tea steams while they talk and Sikti can't refrain from taking the occasional sip and sloshing it around the spaces between her teeth.

"I've always admired," slosh, "your grasp of clan politics." Slosh. "Sometimes it might seem like herding cats, trying to coax a handful of families into doing the right thing, but we are strongest as a mob. Never let yourself forget that, hm?" Slosh.

"I believe we can work together."

Joining Stonehammer fire. Donating one unit of food to Stonehammers. Contributing to the defense of the Stonehammer fire in the event that it is attacked.

Alright, people. I'm freakin' up to my eyeballs in dead terrestrial animals, and my clan's a bunch of hunters. If anyone from any of the fires needs a unit of food to survive the week (this week or any week in the future,) I will be happy to provide it. If anyone wants to trade 1:1 food for wood or crafting supplies, I'll happily do that too. Furthermore, if anyone wants to trade food now for a share of their next harvest, that's another option that I'm okay with.

Kensen
2010-01-14, 04:35 AM
OOC: Yes, d13's goblins were retconned out of the game. The Seyhjachosen haven't found a place at a fire yet, but if I'm not mistaken, there's still room for them at the Stonehammers' fire. Have a chat with them. :smallsmile:

CAMP I (large bonfire 4/5)
Stonehammers
Shadow Tree
Goldclaws
Redcrows

CAMP II (large bonfire 5/5)
Firegazers
Bloodspears
Ironsoul
Pullyus
Sureshots

CAMP III (small bonfire 2/2)
Gasbags
Party Boyz

Rauthiss
2010-01-14, 11:55 AM
Goldclaws

Chief Geshk turns to the tribes around the fire. "Need Supplies fast! Us attack Gasbags and Party Boyz. Get wood so can find other stuff."

"Agree?"

Kuma Da
2010-01-14, 12:36 PM
Redcrows

Wisdom Sikti stands up slowly. Ceremoniously. She hunches up her shoulders and brings the full weight of her glare upon the Goldclaw leader. "Are you mad? They have done nothing to us. You would risk the security of everyone at this fire for an act of petty thievery? Save your rage for those that wish us ill."

Fortuna
2010-01-14, 01:41 PM
The Sharpeyes finally look up from their debate for a moment.

"Shoot."

The Sharpeye camp explodes into activity.

Woodcutting
[roll0]

EDIT: The Sharpeyes then approach the Stonehammer fire.

"We heard that you desire wood. We will offer our services, for the present, and this meager supply of wood, in exchange for food and warmth. Please."

Kensen
2010-01-14, 03:19 PM
Jacarath: The Redcrows agreed to help anyone who doesn't have food, and if the Stonehammers want you to contribute to the camp somehow, you can offer the crafting materials you produced with the resource action.

If you want to attack the small camp and take some or all of their resources, you can do that, of course. You have the Fighter perk, giving you +1. Whichever family you attack, they also have a +1 bonus on the roll if the other family helps them. So the chances of winning are 50/50 even if no-one wants to help you. But as Wisdom Sikti pointed out, in-fighting may make things more difficult for everyone in the tribe.

The Bookworm
2010-01-14, 04:24 PM
Kyra approaches the Stonehammer camp. "Will you except us into your fire? We can offer wood or food..."

Kuma Da
2010-01-14, 07:02 PM
Redcrows

Wisdom Sikti studies the newcomers from the Sharpeyes and the Seyhja's Chosen; strong, reliable families both. Over the crackle and hiss of logs being consigned to the massive Stonehammer bonfire, she clears her throat. It echoes like an avalanche through the twilight.

"It occurs to me that this fire is becoming rather crowded. We could perhaps fit another family if we all scrunched together a little more, but I do not believe my bones would like that. Besides, it would leave one of you out in the cold. I think we can do better than that.

Clan Sharpeyes, go with Kyra of the Chosen to the camp of the Gasbags. Take the wood that you have been gathering and use it to expand their fire. All of you will be warm and safe and, should any more stragglers from the great exodus trickle our way, they will be welcome there too."

As the Wisdom finishes speaking, a couple of the larger clansgoblins of the Redcrow family shoo Preya-the-Weakest forward from their ranks. In either hand he holds a fat, healthy grouse which he presents to the Sharpeyes and the Goldclaws.

"So long as our family remains, we will see to it that no one starves."

Gift of one unit of food to the Goldclaws. Gift of one unit of food to the Sharpeyes.

Anyone else need anything?

Kensen
2010-01-15, 06:11 AM
The first week is nearing its end. The Sharpeyes, Seyhjachosen and Razortooths still need to find a place at a fire. Perhaps they'll make a new camp, or join the Gasbags and Party Boys. The Razortooths haven't yet taken a resource action yet.

After these three families are set, I'll end recruitment and we'll move on to round/week two and a new region! The weekly challenge involves water... and some (c)rafting. :smallbiggrin:

WOOD* FOOD** CRU
CAMP I (large bonfire 4/5)
Stonehammers 3 2 0
Shadow Tree 0 5 0
Goldclaws 0 1 1
Redcrows 0 4 0

Firegazers 4 1 0
Bloodspears 0 5 0
Ironsoul 0 4 0
Pullyus 0 1 0
Sureshots 0 2 0

CAMP III (small bonfire 2/2)
Gasbags 5 1 0
Party Boyz 0 4 0

NO CAMP YET
Sharpeyes 2 1 0
Seyhjachosen 1 3 0
Razortooths ? ? ?

* Wood units after building the bonfires except families under NO CAMP YET
** Number of food units before eating

Goonthegoof
2010-01-15, 06:33 AM
The stonehammers would like to invite the Seyhjachosen to stay at their campfire in exchange for food.

Kessler
2010-01-15, 07:28 AM
Firegazers

Inferno Firegazer (born under auspicious signs, hence the name) approaches Redclaws leader Wisdom Sikti. My grandfather, Blaze Firegazer sends me. He heared you wish to trade food for wood. He'd be willing to trade 2 wood for 2 food.

Meanwhile in the camp Blaze speaks with the Ironsouls leader, White with One, How about you craft us a good, sturdy axe and we reserve your family a spot by the fire for 3 nights?

OOC - Garh, killer headache yesterday.

By the way, in what order actions happen? If I recieve an axe, can I use it in the same turn or I have to wait until the next one?

Kensen
2010-01-15, 08:54 AM
You can use an axe the round you get it. However, you cannot use an axe or any other tool that has already been used on the same round.

Morty
2010-01-15, 09:10 AM
Razortooths

The Razortooth family leader sends all of his kin to work. They're going to need a lot of tools and weapons to trade. Some Razortooth goblins go to the Sharpeye family to negotiate.
Crafting roll: [roll0]

Goonthegoof
2010-01-15, 09:23 AM
So razortooths, need a spot at a fire?

Morty
2010-01-15, 09:30 AM
Yep. We think we'll either join up with Gasbags and Party Boyz or make our own cap with you and maybe Seyhjachosen.

Kuma Da
2010-01-15, 11:54 AM
Redcrows

"That sounds perfectly acceptable. Tell your grandfather that I hope this leads to an increased sense of kinship between our families." Wisdom Sikti bows slightly and chieftain Brakki hastens off to deliver a couple of braces of rabbits to the Firegazer camp.

Accepting Firegazer trade. Two wood for two food.

Yarp
2010-01-15, 03:30 PM
Gasbags

New goblin families keep joining the exodus every day. However, the existing fires are becoming too crowded to support more families. When Foxtrot caught word that the Seyhjachosen, the Razortooths, and the Sharpeyes would have to compete for the final area by the Stonehammers' fire, he sent Gnawbone da Messenger out to each of the families' leaders. A scarred little gobbo, Gnawbone bowed before each of the leaders and relayed the following message:

"A good day to ya. I speak on behalf o' Foxtrot of da Gasbags. Our family would be willing to provide a warm fire for da week, so's dat your people are not left out in da cold. All you needs ta do is trade us a bit of resources in exchange for your spot by the fire. If you accept, we'll make our fire bigga for more families!"

Offering to trade a spot by the Gasbag fire in exchange for 1 unit of some resource.

The Bookworm
2010-01-15, 05:05 PM
Accepts Gasbags offer one food for place at fire.

Goonthegoof
2010-01-15, 11:53 PM
Razortooths want to stay at our fire the only cost is a crafting resource.

Kuma Da
2010-01-16, 12:49 AM
Redcrows

"What you're suggesting is a step shy of madness, old woman." Chieftan Brakki puffs out his chest and stares at the hunched figure in the Wisdom's robes. In the sallow wash of distant firelight, his muscles twitch in frustration. "I bring you a bounty like this, and you just give it away to every mob of raggedy gobbos that strays past our camp?"

Sikti deflects his stare with a deft flick of her eyes. "We live or die as a group. Always remember that. You can kill a fresh batch of kine whenever you need to. It's not so easy to regrow a family. Offer them our food, chieftan."

Starting deep in his throat Brakki rumbles a protest, but Sikti just stands there, waiting, until he cuts it off with a huff and goes to fetch the last of the spare meat.

Offering a unit of food to the Razortooths.

Also, questions to the DM about experience. If you help in a battle, do you gain fighting? If you make a fire, do you gain woodcutting? If you make an item from raw craft supplies, do you gain crafting?

Kensen
2010-01-16, 05:39 AM
Alright people, I'm closing round 1. I'll streamline things a bit, I hope this doesn't offend anyone. I'm sure everyone is eager to move on.

Therefore, I'm assuming that the Razortooths accept the Stonehammers' fair offer and join their fire. (-1 crafting unit)

Also, I presume the Sharpeyes will accept the Gasbags' offer. (-1 wood)

End of round 1

(Each family consumes a food unit.)

-----Resources----- -XP- -Tools-
WOOD* FOOD** CRU WHCF ABHSsb
CAMP I (large bonfire 5/5)
Stonehammers 3 1 1 1-P-
Shadow Tree 0 4 0 -P--
Redcrows 2 0 0 -P--
Goldclaws 0 0 1 --1P
Razortooths 0 0 5 --P-

Firegazers 2 2 0 P---
Bloodspears 0 4 0 -1-P
Ironsoul 0 3 0 -1P-
Sureshots 0 1 0 -P--
Pullyus 0 0 0 --?P

CAMP III (large bonfire 4/5)
Gasbags 4 1 0 1-P-
Party Boyz 0 3 0 -P--
Seyhjachosen 1 1 0 -P--
Sharpeyes 1 0 0 1-P-

Goonthegoof
2010-01-16, 06:43 AM
So, details on the new zone?

Kensen
2010-01-16, 06:55 AM
Snowember the 6th, at the Neverfrost

After days of hunting and gathering resources, Pyrhekk sent another burning star to lead the way. Continuing to the northeast, the tribe reached the Neverfrost, a river that marks the northeastern border of the human territory. Unfortunately for the goblins, the bitter cold of the winter had not been able to freeze the river, which meant that the goblins would have to build rafts to get across.

There was plenty of trees to fell to construct rafts, but it would take some time to make rope, nails, wedges, oars and so on.

REGION FEATURES

River: Instead of hunting for small game, you can produce food units by fishing. If you go fishing, you can make a Fighting roll (i.e. spearing fish) instead of a Hunting roll.

WEEKLY CHALLENGE

Across the river: Each goblin family must build a raft to get across the river.

Building a simple raft only costs 1 wood unit to build, but crossing the river on it is dangerous: there is a 1 in 6 chance the raft falls apart, killing the entire family.

Building a good raft costs 1 wood unit and 1 crafting unit. The more elaborate raft is safer to use, eliminating the chance of failure.

Once you've crossed the river, you get your wood unit back and you can use it for bonfire building. You don't, however, get your crafting unit back if you spent one on the raft. As normally, you also need to consume a food unit at the end of the week to survive. Therefore, it is necessary for most families to trade to be able to obtain all the necessary resources.

After crossing the river, you cannot trade with families still on the other side until they've crossed the river too. You cannot build a bonfire until you've crossed the river.

OPTIONAL QUEST

No optional quest this week.

NEW INVENTION

Raft: See the weekly challenge for details.

Jokes
2010-01-16, 07:11 AM
White with One surveys the river, stroking his chin. Looks like Pyrhekk is trying to weed out the weak and cowardly.

"Come on you lot," he calls to his goblins, "get to work!"

[roll0]

The goblins work tirelessly, producing fine axes. White offers these to the Firegazers. "Here are your axes, as per your request, we are also willing to trade the other supplies needed to cross the river."

[Making: 1 axe.
Trade offer: 1 axe to the Firegazers in return for a spot at their campfire.
Trade offer: Firegazers- 1 Craft unit for 1 wood.

1 craft unit remaining for anyone who really needs one. Willing to trade either food or protection.]

storyteller
2010-01-16, 07:30 AM
Bloodspears

"Arrright boys, let's make a raft!"

Crafting
[roll0]

The Bloodspears will trade one food unit or crafting unit for one wood unit.

Grim ranger
2010-01-16, 07:50 AM
Sureshots

Gnarl looked at the river, and knew that crossing it would be impossible without rafts. The sureshots were not experienced woodcutters, but they would cut wood when their survival depended on it.

"Allright, get to choppin'! I want some trees felled before evening!"

Woodcutting roll: [roll0]

Trade offer: Sureshots will trade 1 wood for 1 crafting unit with any willing crafters.

Goonthegoof
2010-01-16, 07:54 AM
Crafting:
Edit: Fail.
Ok, I've decided to live dangerously and cross with a simple raft. Making one out of wood (I now have two wood left) I cross immediately. Rolling 1d6, a 1 means I sink and die.

[Roll]1d6

Note to self: Editing the post to say you're going to try to roll doesn't work. Rolling on next post.

Goonthegoof
2010-01-16, 07:57 AM
Come on, no sinkage... (Sink on a 1)

[roll0]

storyteller
2010-01-16, 08:11 AM
The Bloodspears accept the Sureshots' offer.

Give 1 crafting unit to the Sureshots and take 1 wood unit.

storyteller
2010-01-16, 08:18 AM
Bloodspears

Grokk Bloodspear admires the Stonehammers' courage.

"By Rattor! They are courageous! We shall attempt crossing the river with a simple raft as well!"

1 = fail

*crosses fingers*

[roll0]

EDIT: YES!!! Success!

"Stonehammers, you be fearless, I like that," says Grokk. "Let's make a bonfire, eh?"

The Bloodspears disassemble the simple raft and start a fire with anyone who's also crossed the river. The Bloodspears make an axe (-3 crafting units).

Grim ranger
2010-01-16, 08:23 AM
Sureshots

Gaining the necessary materials, the family constructs a sturdy boat and make it safely to other side.

Build good raft, cross river

Yarp
2010-01-16, 08:46 AM
Gasbags

Gnawbone da Messenger didn't like water. As he stared at the icy flow, he shuddered at the thought of his entire family risking their life to try and travel on it. But he knew that Gasbag ingenuity would most likely conquer any obstacle, especially some measly source of water.

"Alright, lads. The time has come to show the other families what we're made of! We shall make a fine raft!" After a few more minutes elaborating on what a "raft" actually was and what you would need to construct one, Gasbag sent the expert "buildas" out to work finding pieces to craft a fine raft.

Crafting roll:
[roll0]

Yarp
2010-01-16, 08:57 AM
Gasbags

Gobnick Wrenchsmacka, elder engineer of the Gasbags, had big plans for this raft. Though he knew its use would only be temporary, he wanted to make sure that no accident would come from its construction, as a failure here would most likely eliminate the entire family! With the potential extinction of the Gasbags on his mind, Engineer Gobnick went to work.

Constructing a fine raft (-1 wood[temporarily], -1 craft unit)

As construction reached an end, Foxtrot considered the plight of the Party Boyz. Good friends with them for a week, Foxtrot didn't want the Party Boyz to meet their demise on the second week of their exodus, especially over something so small as not having wood to build a boat. Acting quickly before the Gasbag raft disembarked, the Chieftain tied cords of wood to Gnawbone da Messenger, and told him to sprint over to Chief Suppaslugga, deliver a message and the wood, and then jump back on the raft before it left:

"Respect to you, Chief Suppaslugga! You'z a great 'cron stompa! Foxtrot o' da Gasbags would like to give you this lumba so that you can build a raft. If you make da journey on da river, he'd like the lumba back to build a fire, a fire that you're obviously invited to!

Gifting 1 wood to Party Boyz with the intention of getting the wood unit back if the Party Boyz succeed in their journey on the river

As Gnawbone sprinted back to the Gasbag raft, he heard Chieftain Foxtrot giving the conclusion to a fantastic parting speech. Upon the end of his speech, Engineer Gobnick ordered the skabs to cut the vines anchoring the raft to the shore. After a slow disembarking, the raft caught itself in the current and gracefully glided down the river, in search of the gobbo families that already made the journey.

Gasbag Stats:
Food: 1 unit
Wood: 2 units (4 -1 for raft, -1 to Party Boyz)
Craft: 5 units (6 -1 for raft)
Trade: Giving 1 wood to Party Boyz. Expecting the wood back if the Party Boyz make the journey so the Gasbags can build a large bonfire.

The Bookworm
2010-01-16, 10:35 AM
The Seyhjachosen aren't used to crafting, but old Aldarg has some experience, and Ina begins to learn from him. (Lin was uninterested, and so she sulked off into the woods for a while.)
[roll0]

The Bookworm
2010-01-16, 10:40 AM
After creating some much skillful craft, they easily build a raft and sail across the river, hoping to find someone there with a wood unit to spare.

Seyhjachosen Stats
Leader: Kyra Seyhjachosen
Experience: Perk in Hunting, 1 in Crafting
Food: 1
Wood: 1
Crafting: 4
Trade: Would be willing to either trade crafting for a wood unit or trade crafting for a place at someone's fire.

Kessler
2010-01-16, 10:48 AM
Firegazers

Woodcutting: +1 Perk, +1 Axe

[roll0]

Trade Axe for 3 nights at fire: accepted
Trade 1 Craft unit for 1 Wood: accepted

Kuma Da
2010-01-16, 10:52 AM
Redcrows

Hunting: [roll0]+1 perk

Requesting one unit of stuff from the three families the Redcrows fed last week (Goldclaws, Sharpeyes, and Razortooths.)

The above request is non-obligatory. I'll continue to give people food for free when they need it, however extra stuff will inch the Redcrows towards being able to get a crafting bonus to their hunting rolls, and a sled.

Up for trade: one spare unit of wood for river crossings (it's free, but give it back when you're done,) and another berjillion pounds of pickled porcupine. Go team hunter.

Morty
2010-01-16, 10:59 AM
Razortooths

Instead of immediately starting to built a rafter, the Razortooths instead set out to gather wood.
[roll0]

A few Razortooth goblins head to the Redcrows family to exhange two crafting units for two units of food. An additional crafting unit goes as payment for the previous helping of food.

Kessler
2010-01-16, 11:58 AM
Firegazers

While the family constructs a sturdy raft (-1 Wood, -1 Craft), Blaze visits Redcrows with offer of trade.

Trade Offer: 1 Wood for 1 Food

Yarp
2010-01-16, 12:19 PM
A couple of questions:
1.) Does the Fighting used to gather fish count as a Fighting action or a resource action? I'd assume it was supposed to be a resource action that used your Fighting skill, but I thought I'd check.
2.) For the whole carrying capacity thing, is the maximum carrying capacity for a family without a sled 10 total resource units or 10 of each resource units? Like, can I carry max. 10 wood, 10 food, and 10 CRU, or can I only carry a number of resource units that sum up to 10?

BobElliot
2010-01-16, 12:21 PM
The Pullyus are not in an advantageous spot. They would like to cross the river in safety, but have neither the materials nor the experience to make a good raft. Seeing the other family's mainly creating rafts, the Pullyus wish to trade some food with the others for a temporary piece of wood, the means to make it sturdy, and a spot at a fire. And of course, anybody that helps them will receive plenty of help against their enemies until help is no longer required.
Hunting roll
[roll0]
Wish to trade 2 food, one for wood+fire, one for crafting resource

Kessler
2010-01-16, 01:14 PM
Firegazers

Blaze approaches Pullyus. Greetings again. The second fire sign of Pyhrekk was a sight to behold wasn't it. I see your plight and offer wood for the raft and a spot the by fire for one food. The wood for the raft is a loan and would be used to make fire.

Trade Offer: wood for the raft and place at fire for 1 food. Wood from the raft to be used for fire.

OOC - I think Fighting Perk should give 1 bonus food in this area, am I right?

The Bookworm
2010-01-16, 01:41 PM
Trade 1 Craft unit for 1 Wood: accepted
Is that a trade with my tribe or with someone else?

Kensen
2010-01-16, 02:09 PM
A couple of questions:
1.) Does the Fighting used to gather fish count as a Fighting action or a resource action? I'd assume it was supposed to be a resource action that used your Fighting skill, but I thought I'd check.
2.) For the whole carrying capacity thing, is the maximum carrying capacity for a family without a sled 10 total resource units or 10 of each resource units? Like, can I carry max. 10 wood, 10 food, and 10 CRU, or can I only carry a number of resource units that sum up to 10?

Fishing is a special resource action that lets you obtain food units with a Fighting check. It's a resource action so you can't take another resource action if you go fishing. The experience you get from fishing is Fighting experience.

To answer an earlier question: You only gain xp when you roll dice. Thus, no xp for helping someone in combat or making an object from crafting units. And the xp always goes to the skill you made the check with.

You can only carry a number of resource units that sum up to 10. But the only time you "carry" your resources is when you move to a new region, i.e. between rounds. A family may have more than 10 resource units during the round. The only time it's checked is at the end of the round after you've eaten and spent wood units to build bonfires.

You can carry any number of objects, so it's a good idea to craft objects instead of carrying crafting units. And well, you can hire another family to carry your resources for you if you cannot afford a sled. :smallwink: Many poor families will be happy to carry your stuff if you give them one food unit as a payment, for example.

BobElliot
2010-01-16, 03:22 PM
The Pullyus bring food with them as they talk to the Firegazers. They want to trade the food for the wood that they mentioned was up for trade.

With one piece of food left, they are looking around for anybody that would like to exchange a safe passage over the river (1CRU) for some food.

Grim ranger
2010-01-16, 03:29 PM
Sureshots

Offer to any interested families: Let us build big bonfire together. Sureshots will contribute 2 wood to the thing, and if someone wants to help with two more wood, the big bonfire can be built. Othervice Sureshots will build only small bonfire.

Kessler
2010-01-16, 03:37 PM
Is that a trade with my tribe or with someone else?

That was trade with Ironsoul. But I'd be willing to trade you a place by fire for 1 Craft.

Yarp
2010-01-16, 05:47 PM
Land ho! The Gasbags finish their journey across the river and beach the raft on the shore near the other goblin families. After the slightly-soggy gobbos wring the river-mist from their clothing and hair, Foxtrot orders the salvaging of the raft for lumber.

Re-receive one wood from the raft.

As Engineer Gobnick and his collection of skabs deconstruct the raft, Foxtrot sends Gnawbone da Messenger out on yet another diplomacy mission. Gnawbone breathes a heavy sigh, loads cords of lumber onto his back, and then heads out in the direction of the Seyhjachosen. The tiny, weary, wet gobbo runs to the feet of Kyra of the Seyhjachosen:
"Foxtrot o' da Gasbags heard you wanted wood for some crafty bits. I've come ta accept."

Accept trade with Seyhjachosen: 1 wood given for 1 CRU received

While Gnawbone went on his merry mission, Foxtrot and a few companions trekked to the Sureshots' camp, which was working on piling wood for half of a large bonfire. After introductions between Chief Foxtrot and Gnarl Sureshot, the Gasbag Chieftain spoke:
"We would be willing to join your effort to construct a big bonfire, so long as we agree on payments received to stay by da fire. There will be room for 3 more families. You'z may set terms on how to pay for the areas by da fire, but we request a third of whatever resources you gain from this. Just give us the stuffs you make from one of the families. If you charge nofink, we'll also take nofink."

Will finish construction of Sureshots' large bonfire (-2 wood) if the Sureshots agree to give the Gasbags 1/3rd of whatever resources gained from trading spots by the fire.

Grim ranger
2010-01-16, 06:03 PM
Sureshots

"We agree, for your offer is reasonable. I wish this will be a start of splendid co-operation between our families."

Sureshots agree on the offer of Gasbags, and Big Bonfire is built.

The Bookworm
2010-01-16, 07:28 PM
The Seyhjachosen build a small bonfire and gather around it to pray to Seyhja before eating.

Seyhjachosen (1F, 0W, 3CRU) will offer the remaining spot at the fire in exchange for a food unit. We would also team with someone else(s) to create a large fire.

Kuma Da
2010-01-16, 09:01 PM
Redcrows

Wisdom Sikti stared out across the frothing, icy waters of the river. This was going to be a problem. "Preya, I want you to take a handful of the youngest Redcrows and go gather some...

Preya?

Seyjah's eyes, child! Never go running off when I'm in the middle of a sentence. I was going to say 'vines for lashings' so that we can cross these thrice accursed rapids, but I guess that's too much to hope for.

Fine. Enjoy your hunt. Brakki, we're going to need to negotiate with the other families.

Brakki?

Never mind. I'll go by myself."

Authorizing the Razortooth trade of two food for two craft. Also accepting their gift of one craft.

Trading one food for one wood with the Firegazers.

Spending one craft to caulk the wagon and float it build a superior raft and cross the river.

Offering to help enlarge the Seyjachosen's fire.

Jokes
2010-01-16, 09:57 PM
Ironsoul

The Ironsouls watch as the rickety rafts barely make the water crossing. "Fools," White spits, "may as well have swum the crossing."

White approaches the Pullyus. "Keep your food, you will need it more than us. We are willing to trade you our goods for your strong arm."

The Ironsoul 'raft' is a thing of beauty and majesty. Each timber is carved into a perfect cylinder, tied together with hand braided cord. Engravings of famous (though mostly fictitious) goblin battles adorn the outermost planks. The Ironsoul, it seems, don't do anything half-arsed.

White stands next to the raft, facing his clan. "Merkan, we thank thee for your great providence and deliverance. We ask that you bless our works, and we pray for a safe journey." With that, White leads his clan aboard the raft and sets off across the river.

Reaching the shore, the Ironsoul drag the raft onto the bank, where they quickly disassemble it. The two outermost planks or hoisted and set into the ground vertically, about two meters apart, marking where the crossing took place. "Merkan keep us safe, Pyrhekk keep us warm." White says simply as he orders the remaining logs to be carried off.

[Trade offer (pre-crossing): Pullyus- Protection for a week for 1 crafting unit.

Stats: 1 wood, 3 food, if the Pullyus accept the trade]

BobElliot
2010-01-16, 10:39 PM
The Pullyus are glad that the Ironsouls have proposed a trade that they are good at. They accept the proffered CRU, and with it bind their wood together to cross the river in safety. They now join the Ironsouls in a quest for heat, willingly sharing their now obsolete raft for warmth. Perhaps the Ironsouls would like to combine their wood for a small fire, if no other opportunity arises?

1 wood, 1 food
xp:1hunt, 1wood

Jokes
2010-01-16, 11:11 PM
[@Pullyus- I have a table reserved at the Firegazers camp, once they cross. I'm sure they'd accept wood to make a larger fire, hopefully someone else can donate, otherwise I can trade you mine for future protection.]

Kessler
2010-01-17, 05:05 AM
Firegazers

The family crosses the river and starts a large fire.

Fire (5):
Firegazers
Ironsouls
Pullyus (1 wood donation)
Open
Open

Stats:

Hmm, if I'm not mistaken, after making fire and eating:

Wood: 7 - 2 - 3 = 2
Food: 2 + 2 - 1 = 3

storyteller
2010-01-17, 06:25 AM
The Bloodspears

Grokk approaches the bonfire the Chosen of Seyhja have built.

"Nice fire," Grokk says, tossing a sack full of venison in front of the family's leader. "Let's eat!"

Howling like wolves, the Bloodspears pray to Rattor before dining at the fire.

Trades 1 food unit for a place at the bonfire.

Goonthegoof
2010-01-17, 06:56 AM
May I trade a piece of wood for a place at a campfire?

Kensen
2010-01-17, 07:53 AM
Did the Ironsouls give a wood unit to build the fire or did the Firegazers use three units? Just trying to keep track of things. :smallsmile:

Greystone
2010-01-17, 09:07 AM
The shadow trees
craft [roll0]

Kessler
2010-01-17, 09:41 AM
Firegazers

Stonehammers are welcome at the Firegazer's fire in exchange for 1 wood. This would leave one spot still open.

OOC - Firegazers used 3 wood to build the fire

Goonthegoof
2010-01-17, 09:43 AM
Sure, I'll come.

Yarp
2010-01-17, 10:31 AM
Large Fire 1
Gasbags
Sureshots
Open
Open
Open

Large Fire 2
Firegazers
Ironsouls
Pullyus (if they accept)
Stonehammers
Open

Small Fire
Seyhjachosen
Bloodspears
Redcrows (if Seyhjachosen accept the offer to upgrade it to a large fire)

BobElliot
2010-01-17, 12:17 PM
The Pullyus do accept the Firegazer's offering of mutual cooperation.

The Bookworm
2010-01-17, 01:11 PM
The Seyhjachosen (2F, 0W, 3CRU) welcome the Bloodspears to the fire, despite their loud praying to the god Rattor. They also welcome the Redcrows, if they wish to donate two wood to enlarge the fire, or find someone else to donate one wood if they only have one wood.

Kuma Da
2010-01-17, 03:08 PM
Redcrows

They emerge from the river sopping. Wisdom Sikti is a huddled mass on the bow of the raft and, with great care, Brakki hoists her onto his shoulders and scrabbles ashore. The rest of the Redcrows family hauls the raft up and out of the driving river and drags it down the bank to where the Seyhjaschosen are camped. There, they promptly set it on fire.

"We're not trying to poach your territory. We promise. We just need somewhere to camp until we can all get dry," Brakki grates through the shivers that wrack his body.

Spending two wood to boost the Seyhjaschosen fire.

Joining Seyhjaschosen fire.

Offering to trade two food for two craft, or one wood for one craft.

Inviting Goldclaws and Razortooths to join the Seyhjaschosen/Redcrows fire.

Greystone
2010-01-17, 03:46 PM
The shadow trees offer 1cu to join the gasbags fire.

Yarp
2010-01-17, 04:16 PM
The shadow trees offer 1cu to join the gasbags fire.

Accepted (+1 CRU to Gasbags).

Gasbag Stats:
Food: 1 unit
Wood: 0 units (4 -1 to Party Boyz, -1 to Seyhjachosen, -2 for large bonfire with Sureshots)
Crafting: 7 units (6 -1 for raft, +1 from Seyhjachosen, +1 from Shadow Trees)
Trade: Giving 1 wood to Party Boyz. Expecting the wood back if the Party Boyz make the journey.
Traded 1 wood with Seyhjachosen for 1 CRU.
Sharing large bonfire with Sureshots.

Grim ranger
2010-01-17, 04:24 PM
Hey now... Sureshots want their share of the profits as well. Let's not get ahead of ourselves now, shall we? :smallannoyed:

Yarp
2010-01-17, 07:20 PM
Hey now... Sureshots want their share of the profits as well. Let's not get ahead of ourselves now, shall we? :smallannoyed:

Don't worry, you get all the other resource units from the remaining spots by the fire..

Morty
2010-01-18, 11:28 AM
Razortooths

The family accepts the Redcrows' invitation.

Jokes
2010-01-19, 08:44 AM
[Is this going to be everyone for the week? I think about 5 people haven't posted...]

Kensen
2010-01-19, 09:02 AM
Eleven players out of the fourteen have acted on round two. One of the players bowed out, and two players haven't reacted anyhow despite the reminder I sent them in a PM. I'll end round 2 today when I'm back at home. This is a round-based game, and the players should be committed to posting at least twice a week.

So, I'll make a new rule:

A game round is four days (96 hours) in real time. If you haven't posted your actions in the IC thread by the end of the round, you're considered to have dropped out of the game.

You may name one of the players as your back-up. If you're unable to post for some reason, the back-up may choose a resource action for your goblin family, and trade with other families if necessary.

Kensen
2010-01-19, 09:47 AM
Round 2 ends

WOOD FOOD CRU WHCF ABHSsb
CAMP I (large bonfire 3/5)
Sureshots 0 0 0 1P--
Gasbags 1 0 7 1-P-
Shadow Tree 0 3 5 -P1-

CAMP II (large bonfire 4/5)
Seyhjachosen 0 1 3 -P1-
Bloodspears 1 2 0 -11P 1
Redcrows 1 2 2 -P--
Razortooths 2 1 2 1-P-

CAMP III (large bonfire 4/5)
Firegazers 3 3 0 P--- 1
Ironsoul 1 2 0 -1P-
Pullyus 0 1 1 11-P
Stonehammers 2 0 3 1-P-

Check your stats and let me know if there are any mistakes. I gave the Gasbags back the wood unit they gave to the Party Boyz since it looks like the Party Boyz have dropped out.

I'll give you the details for the new region later today. It will be a barren region (food & wood production halved). The optional quest is called Big game. :smallwink:

Kuma Da
2010-01-19, 12:11 PM
Redcrows

Clan Gasbags, you have the CRU to produce an awesome bow. If you guys can spot me some of that (5's all I need) I can trade two food and one wood up front, and then repay the other two with interest.

Kensen, if we're being refunded stuff we gave freely to people who dropped out, does that mean I get my unit of food back from the Goldclaws?

Tapeleg91
2010-01-19, 12:27 PM
Hey! I haven't dropped out!

Accepting the gift of one wood from the Gasbags, da Cheif replies:
And here i was gonna gas my bags out! you are just fine. Come on, boyz! lets make a party raft!

Crafting roll [roll0]

Using the one wood and one CR to build a boat. Upon arrival, joining the gasbags' fire, returning their wood, and offering one food resource.

Grim ranger
2010-01-19, 12:33 PM
Ahem. I believe that this food should go to sureshots... we have yet to receive our share, gasbags got theirs already.

Yarp
2010-01-19, 01:54 PM
Gasbags

Ahem. I believe that this food should go to sureshots... we have yet to receive our share, gasbags got theirs already.

Agreed. Sureshots receive the food unit from the Party Boyz, and the Party Boyz then join our fire.

As the goblin families prepare to journey further towards Gobberheim, Foxtrot decides to forgo the use of Gnawbone and meet the Redcrows himself. As Foxtrot arrived in the Redcrows camp, he introduced himself to Chief Braki and the revered Wisdom Sikti. Ahhh, so you are the Wisdom Sikti that I hear of? Our Elder Gasbags, gods rest them, spoke fondly of you and your tribe. I also heard rumors of your defiance against a certain Clan Goldclaws and their wish to raid myself and the Party Boyz? Even if it is just a passing message on the wind, your reputation brings me here in thanks. Now, let's talk business.

The Gasbags will trade 5 CRU to the Redcrows for their 2 food 1 wood, and so long as their "additional 2 plus interest" is at least partially made up of CRU so that the Gasbags can finish their crafting intentions next turn.

Kensen
2010-01-19, 05:11 PM
Snowember the 14th, the Frozen Plain

Following the third burning star, the tribe travels farther to the northeast, across a vast, featureless plain.

FAMILIES

Sureshots 0 1 0 1P--
Gasbags 2 2 2 1-P-
Shadow Tree 0 3 5 -P1-
Party Boyz 1 1 0 -P1-
Seyhjachosen 0 1 3 -P1-
Bloodspears 1 2 0 -11P 1
Redcrows 0 0 7 -P--
Razortooths 2 1 2 1-P-
Firegazers 3 3 0 P--- 1
Ironsoul 1 2 0 -1P-
Pullyus 0 1 1 11-P
Stonehammers 2 0 3 1-P-

TERRAIN FEATURES

Barren: Vegetation is sparse and stunted in the region. Consequently, the area is also poor in animal life. Make Hunting and Woodcutting rolls normally, adding any bonuses on the roll. Then divide the result by 2 and round down. That's how many food or wood units you get.

OPTIONAL QUEST

Big game: Few animals are tough enough to live in the Frozen Plain during the winter months. But taurukks, huge, woolly and fat bison-like animals are. They are dangerous and aggressive, so it's usually better not to bother them. But they are an excellent source of food and crafting materials, which is why some brave (or foolish) hunters sometimes go and see if they're as fierce as their reputation.

There are three taurukks: papa, mama and baby. The goblin tribe can choose to attack none of them, only papa taurukk, papa & mama taurukk, or all three of them. You must form that many attack teams. An attack team consist of a family leading the attack (i.e. rolling the die, getting the xp and possibly getting killed) and any number of assisting families.

Normally in a fight you can use only your Fighting skill, but this time you may use either your Fighting or Hunting skill. You gain xp in the skill you use (if you lead the attack), and you gain any perk or tool bonuses relevant to that skill.

Papa taurukk: Fighting 1d6+7; 7 food units, 4 craft units
Mama taurukk: Fighting 1d6+6; 6 food units, 3 craft units
Baby taurukk: Fighting 1d6+5; 5 food units, 2 craft units

OOC:

My apologies to the Party Boyz and tapeleg, I was being a bit hasty. I'm glad you're still with us. :smallsmile:

Kuma Da: I believe you gave the resource unit to the Goldclaws on round 1. I'm not retconning them out of the game like I did with the family that dropped out on round 1, so anything they did on round 1 did happen. However, if you did try to give them something on round 2, I'll rule that since they didn't accept the offer, you'll get the resource unit back.

Jokes
2010-01-19, 05:39 PM
Ironsoul

White watches a family of Taurukk grazing in the distance.

"Hrmf, they don't look too tough, bet we could get some decent food from them."

Despite White's fervour, the rest of the Ironsoul are quick to express their opinion that bringing down a Taurukk is not a good idea.

"Beh, cowards." White smiles, remembering that the rest of the clan aren't brave warriors like himself. "In that case, we should probably help out anyone who is foolish enough to try."

[roll0]

Kessler
2010-01-19, 05:50 PM
Firegazers

Blaze watches the giant beasts deep in thought. The barren land negatively affected the spirits of his group, but they move to cut the trees as usual.

Woodcutting: ([roll0] +2 bonus)/ 2 = 3

Grim ranger
2010-01-19, 05:56 PM
Sureshots

The family travels the barren land, eying the taurukks from the distance. Sureshots are skilled hunters, but not good enough to kill taurukks by themselves. So Old Gnarl decides that family will seek aid to take the beasts down and offer to divide the spoils.

OFFER TO INTERESTED FAMILIES: Let us make a joint between hunting and crafting families to take down taurukk or two. They would ensure our continued survival for turns afterwards, and we could divide the spoils after killing the beasts.

Yarp
2010-01-19, 06:13 PM
Gasbags

Today marked the two-week anniversary of the Gasbag's departure from their destroyed village. Though still mourning the loss of their village and many of its inhabitants due to marauding humans for the past few months and though still coming to terms with their new-found independence, the Gasbags have come a long way.

Now the Gasbags look upon the Frozen Plain with uncertainty. What lay beyond the barren wastes of ice? Is Gobberheim soon to come? Will the meteors continue to show, or will the celestial guidance stop some day during the journey? Foxtrot knew these questions could not actually be answered. Times of hardship must be met with action, not sitting idly in uncertainty, wondering what is to come. And with that, the Gasbags began trotting across the wastes with a moderate supply of food and wood. Great puffs of smoke erupted from the family as the breath of their collective talking met the arctic air.

Though the region had little food and wood, it had rocks, weeds, and other various bits that may prove useful to the ingenious little gobbos. As they trotted their day's march, Engineer Gobwick ordered the family to pick up crafting materials as they traveled.

Crafting Roll
[roll0]

Jokes
2010-01-19, 06:13 PM
Ironsoul

White-with-One hears of the the Sureshots' offer and heads for their camp.

"I hear you are brave enough to take on a Taurukk? I'd be willing to have my men craft some exceptional bows for you to use. However, I would like to see some return on my investment. Which I won't get if you're dead." White leans back and takes a sip of tea. "So, how can I justify this expense?"

[edit: ^ Seems to be a great week for crafting :smallbiggrin: Might not be wise to go for a Taurukk if the crafters are using up all the 6's :smalltongue:]

The Bookworm
2010-01-19, 06:48 PM
Old Aldarg sits on the frozen soil and begins crafting an elegant axe, fit for a chosen of Seyhja to chop wood with. Then, in a fit of generosity, he presents in to Ina, who begins to chop some wood.
[roll0]/2 rounded down is 3

Seyhjachosen (1F, 1W, 0CRU, Axe) build a small bonfire and invite to it anyone who will pay them 2 CRU. We also would love to expand it, and if someone else has one wood we can collaborate to make a large fire. Also, we will back up in a fight for a little of the spoils.

Tapeleg91
2010-01-19, 07:03 PM
First, Chief Suppaslugga notices that the food supply is running short, partly because of the Krump'ee.

Hunting roll [roll0]

which leaves me with 3 food because of the terrain.

He then sends a messenger to each of the tribes

We invite you to play a new game with us, called Taurukk-slashin'-then-feasting. We would be willin' to be right in the fun, and will split the meatz among all that helped.

If 6 people assist: I attack papa taurukk.

BobElliot
2010-01-19, 07:27 PM
The Pullyus see something that they can excel at: fighting. In return for a spot at a fire, they will assist one family in their attack. In return for some sort of equipment, they will assist another family attack another taurukk. No other trade required, for now.
The Pullyus already have a food resource, so they will not starve this week. However, there has not been as many wood harvesters; even though the Pullyus would like to work on their crafting ability, they will harvest some wood if there isn't enough choppers already, and will donate any harvested wood to a fire.

Kuma Da
2010-01-19, 08:02 PM
Redcrows

Trade with Gasbags.

Craft awesome bow: The Diplomacy of Kings.

Resourcing: wood. [roll0].

Don't be a one. Don't be a one...

Setting sights on big papa Tarruk.

Clans Ironsoul, Firegazer, Sureshot, Seyjahchosen, Party Boyz, Pullyu, clan Redcrows invites you to join it in doing something that has never before been attempted by gobbo-kind. Takin' down a freakin' mammoth. I only want one unit of food from it, so that makes one unit of food apiece for the rest of you, and four craft to be divided among those who bring a perk or tool bonus to this epic fight. Here is your chance to etch your clan names in the granite crags of history.

Kensen, if I decide to go after multiple tarruks, do I fight them all at once, or one at a time?

Yarp
2010-01-19, 08:15 PM
Multiple families now seek to hunt and kill these wooly beasts, the Taurukk. Whether their motivation be insanity or courage, Gasbag family members are starting to consider whether they should help the hunting goblin families in tackling the fearsome creatures. Not much consideration is given to the act of dominating this great animal, but rather to the big after-party that should happen following the success of the hunt. Nevertheless, Foxtrot takes a vote among the people, who decide to pledge their teeth, claws, rocks, and sticks into helping in the hunt. Not like their family would be hurt, anyways.

Other preparations need to be made before nightfall, specifically a warm place to camp for the night.

Gasbags will provide assistance in killing the Taurukk(s). They request an invitation to the celebrations following the hunt if such a celebration occurs :smallbiggrin:. Other rewards are graciously accepted, but not specifically demanded.

Gasbag Stats:
Food: 2 units
Wood: 2 units
Crafting: 9 units
Trade: Loaned 5 CRU to Redcrows. Partial repayment received, other payment + interest later.
Offering assistance in Taurukk hunt for "free."
Allies: None (yet).

Kuma Da
2010-01-19, 08:19 PM
Redcrows

"Clan Gasbags, honored are we to accept your gift. We will repay it in turn, as soon as we are able." Wisdom Sikti gestured idly, and a pair of Redcrows emerged from the darkness beyond the campfire, dragging crudely cut wooden benches and platters of provisions. "In the mean time, please stay and partake of a meal with us. I think it would be pleasing to our ancestors and yours if this were to be the beginnings of an alliance."

-

Chieftain Brakki tested the draw of the bow with his teeth. It was firm, supple, yet not without its strength.

Letting go, he spat an arrow across the clearing and six inches into an oak.

It would do.

-

Preya stared across the haunting vastness of the tundra. He was sure that he had seen it. Right there, sinking out of sight behind a drift so large it could have swallowed the stars. Shuffling out of eyesight, a massive, ambulatory rug...

There!

It hadn't just been a trick of the shimmering snow-light. There was something out there, massive and moving. Bursting out of the thin crust of snow that he'd been hiding under, Preya raced to warn the other clans.

Tarruk-hunting invitation extended to the Gasbags.

Also an invitation to the Gasbags: wanna split the cost of a two-clan fire?

Kensen, can goblin families assist in multiple fights per week, even if they can't lead them?

Yarp
2010-01-19, 08:40 PM
Gasbags

As the Redcrows brought out benches and beef and berries, Foxtrot smiled a toothy grin. "An alliance, eh? I like the way you talk, madam. And that's saying somefink coming from a Gasbag. But first, a fire! Shall we?"

Accepting Redcrows offer. -1 wood from Gasbags for a small bonfire.

BobElliot
2010-01-19, 08:45 PM
Clan Pullyu accepts the chance to assist the Redcrows take on the great beast. Having enough food for the week, they ask only that their superior skills be rewarded with a crafting resource, and that perhaps they could gain a spot at their fire. To make the fire a possibility they send their goblins to find what trees they could and harvest any wood they can.
wood resource roll :[roll0]/2=2. Just enough for a large bonfire. Or one of their one, if spurned by the Redcrows.

Will the perk count if not the same ability (I've got fighting, and I have a feeling the 'Crows are going to use hunting for taking on the tarukk)? It would just mean that while they are stalking it and shooting it and such, my goblins will charge in and beat it with our power when given the command.

Jokes
2010-01-19, 09:01 PM
Kensen, can goblin families assist in multiple fights per week, even if they can't lead them?

[I had assumed you only got one action per week, with assisting falling under the same action economy. In other words, if you use your crafting skill, you can't lead or assist in a hunt. So this would extend to not being allowed to assist in several fights.]

Yarp
2010-01-19, 09:40 PM
OOC:
"Each week (i.e. round) you may take the following actions.
* Resource action
* Trading
* Fighting

After these actions, any optional quests, weekly challenges and fights are resolved."

The bold might indicate that the hunting of the Taurukk counts separately from the other tasks throughout the turn.
Also, the rules say we're limited to challenging one other gobbo family per week, but they don't say anything about fighting multiple monsters per week as far as I can tell.

We'll get an official answer soon enough.

The Bookworm
2010-01-19, 10:30 PM
Seyhjachosen are happy to assist Redcrows fight and are taking invitations to their fire for 1 F or 2 CRU.

Kuma Da
2010-01-19, 11:37 PM
Redcrows

Inviting the Pullyus to enlarge the Gasbag/Redcrows fire.

Families in on the hunt of Papa: Redcrows (leading. +1 perk, +2 tool, gets one food,) Pullyus (+1 assist, +1 fighter, gets one CRU) Seyhjaschosen (+1 assist, +1 perk, gets one food and one CRU,) Gasbags (+1 assist, "free",) Stonehammers (+1 assist, 1 food)

Current mod to attack: +9

+9 vs. +7 is dicey

Loot allocated: 3 food, 2 CRU (4 food, 2 CRU left over)

Families (tentatively) hunting Mama: Party Boys (+1 perk, gains one food and one CRU) +1 assist from ironsoul (gains one food), +1 hunting and +1 assist from sureshot (gains one food and 1 CRU,) +1 assist from firegazer (gains one food), +1 fighting and +1 assist from Bloodspears (gains one food and one CRU.)

Current attack mod: +7

+7 vs. +6 is dicey.

Loot allocated: 5 food, 3 CRU (one food left over)

Goonthegoof
2010-01-20, 12:59 AM
I'd like to assist hunting.

Kensen
2010-01-20, 03:39 AM
Optional quests do not affect your resource actions in any way. It's a bonus action, so to say. You can, for example, hunt for food first, then trade, then attack a goblin family, and finally go on an optional quest.

I'm adding a new rule: you may assist another family in a fight only once per round.

Let's say you decide to attack Papa & Mama. Baby taurukk flees, so you can't try to kill it later. Ok, so you have two opponents. That means you have to name two families to challenge the two opponents. Let's say family A challenges Papa and family B challenges Mama. Now any number of families can assist family A and B, but no family may assist both attacking families.

Family A rolls a 6 and their modifier is let's say +8, and they manage to beat Papa's roll whatever it might be. Family B, on the other hand, rolls badly and is slain by Mama taurukk. The first combat round ends.

The second combat round begins and you only have one opponent left. You choose a new family to lead the attack and you can attack Mama with all goblin families since she's your only opponent.

This may be the only time I allow you to choose how many opponents you want to fight. Usually it's the monsters attacking you, and you'll have to fight all of them, to the death.

storyteller
2010-01-20, 04:17 AM
Bloodspears

The lack of resources to be gathered in the Frozen Plain didn't worry Grokk too much. "We got food, we got firewood. We'll manage. Let's make weapons!"

Smiling viciously, Grokk added, "...and let's go hunt taurukks!"

Believing that Rattor had send the taurukks to them to test their courage, Grokk was in a particularly good mood.

Crafting
[roll0]

Offers to join the hunters. That's another +2 to the roll. I'd like to have a food unit and craft unit if the hunt is successful. If necessary, I'll lead the hunt. The Bloodspears know no fear. AND I'll help to build a bonfire with my 1 wood unit.

Kuma Da
2010-01-20, 09:57 AM
Redcrows

Some of you expressed interest in the hunt before I posted. I just want to see if Party Boyz or Bloodspears is inclined to lead a hunt against Baby (+1 hunting from the boyz, +1 assist from ironsoul, +1 hunting and +1 assist from sureshot, +1 assist from firegazer, +1 perk +1 assist from bloodspears)

Both hunts are at a +2 above the strength of the Tarruk. Basically, we'd have a 33.3% chance of auto-winning each fight, which is good. What's better, even if we both rolled ones, we'd only have a 50% chance of being destroyed utterly.

Oh, wait. That's not as good. :smalleek:

Something to tip the odds: both clans Ironsoul , Razortoothsand Gasbags have at least seven crafting units. That's enough for three separate awesome bows. If either of those clans is willing to make the bows and use them personally or trade them away to a hunting clan, our odds of not losing any families to the Tarruks increase drastically. Just two would bring each hunting party up to a d6+4 vs. each tarruk at just a d6. That's 66.6% chance to win outright, and only 33.3% of losing if we roll a one. And awesome bows are worth making anyways, so it doesn't handicap anyone in the way that, say, mass-producing bombs would.

Morty
2010-01-20, 12:34 PM
The Razortooths decide that attacking the beasts themselves is too dangerous. They accept Seyhjachosen's invitation, also bringing 1 wood unit to expand the bonfire. They begin crafting, in hope of producing weapons to give to the hunters in exchange for some of the food.
Craft: [roll0]

BobElliot
2010-01-20, 12:51 PM
In addition to the Redcrows petition, the Pullyus have a proposition they believe would be mutually beneficial to any participants. We would like an awesome spear, which is 7 crafting. If family creates one for the Pullyus, they will have 50% the food we don't need to eat, 1/3 of our CRU created (until not needed), and a guaranteed +4 helper (1perk, 1 assist, 2 tool) in any combat that you might face.
Alternatively, we will accept partial donations of resources for simply the food and the assist or the crafting and the assist. Before the optional quest would be the best option, but we will have 1 CRU of our own if it works out alright.
You pull us up, we will push you forward.

Fractions will be rounded up, unless it places us near starvation.

Kensen
2010-01-20, 03:18 PM
A clarification: You cannot choose to attack Papa and Baby only. If Baby is attacked, both Papa and Mama will defend him fiercely. So, if you want to attack two taurukks, you must attack Papa and Mama.

Crafting Bows and Spears is a good idea. You're going to need them. :smallwink:

Grim ranger
2010-01-20, 03:30 PM
Sureshots

Seeing that by forming ridiculously large hunting parties was apparently only chance to kill one of the gigantic Tarruk, sureshots stopped to reconsider. The food and materials they would gain from taking them on would not be worth the sheer risk the animals presented to the hunting parties... but surely now more than ever there was some serious profit to be made from crafting materials!

Thus, Old Gnarl commanded the family to work on crafting materials to be found in barren land.

[roll0]

Yarp
2010-01-20, 04:50 PM
Oh my, this has gotten complicated!

Kensen,
1.) Is there a difference between combat round and a game round? I always read "round" to mean "turn," but when you started talking about assisting in fights it made it sound like either we would be here in the frozen plain for 2 weeks or that there are multiple phases of every battle.
2.) So if I were to build a spear, would my +1 tool bonus contribute to, say, the Redcrows? The Redcrows would be using Hunting to fight the Taurukk, but to use a spear I'd be contributing my Fighting skill. Is this allowed for these purposes?

Kensen
2010-01-20, 05:47 PM
1) Combat rounds are entirely different from game rounds. It doesn't take a week to fight a taurukk. :smallsmile: There won't be a second combat round anyway unless you lose and one of the families dies.

2) Yes. Each assisting family chooses whether they add their Hunting or Fighting bonuses to the roll.

Tapeleg91
2010-01-20, 06:34 PM
The Party Boyz are willing to lead against the baby.

Kuma Da
2010-01-20, 11:11 PM
Redcrows

Okay, so, here's the updated situation on the hunt. If we're picking two targets, Kensen says we have to work from the top down. This means we definitely need crafted tools. Ironsouls, Gasbags, and Razortooths, our fate rests in your hands.

Also, Razortooths, do you want to assist in the actual hunting? Get one food at zero risk. More, if you craft a tool to help.

Lastly, here's a re-post of all the tarruk-hunting info I've put together.

-

Families in on the hunt of Papa: Redcrows (leading. +1 perk, +2 tool, gets one food,) Pullyus (+1 assist, +1 fighter, +2 ironsoul's spear, gets one CRU) Seyhjaschosen (+1 assist, +1 perk, gets one food and one CRU,) Stonehammers (+1 assist, 1 food) Razortooths (+1 assist, on food)

Current mod to attack: +11

+11 vs. +7 is good

Loot allocated: 4 food, 3 CRU (3 food, 1 CRU left over)

Families hunting Mama: Party Boys (leading, +1 perk, gains one food and one CRU) +1 assist from ironsoul (gains one food and one CRU from the hunt of Papa), +1 hunting and +1 assist from sureshot (gains one food and 1 CRU,) +1 assist from firegazer (gains one food), +1 fighting and +1 assist from Bloodspears (gains one food and one CRU,) Gasbags (+1 assist, +2 bow "free",)

Current attack mod: +10

+10 vs. +6 is good.

storyteller
2010-01-21, 04:14 AM
Bloodspears

"We're running out of time," Grokk said, looking at the stars. "We should make decisions, now." The tall and muscular goblin paced back and forth for a while, then stopped in front of the Redcrows' leader. "Nun of us is in a position to tell another who should go hunt what taurukk and who should craft what weapons. Brakki, ya remember the goblins, our kin, our brothers, who worked without rest in the Warlord's smithies, making weapons for him because he said so? Ya remember them running down the hill to meet the humies' cavalry charge because he said they should? I will have nun of that anymore. I say we hunt together, as a tribe. We take down Papa. Nun of us gets killed. Nun of us is left out."

Grokk attaches a piece of cloth dyed red with blood to his spear. On the makeshift banner he's drawn a black twelve-pronged star with a piece of coal. "The Burning Star," he says under his breath and smiles.

The rest of the Bloodspears remain quiet, wondering what's gone to Grokk's head.

Offer: Will assist taking down Papa for 1 food or CRU. Will lead if necessary.

Jokes
2010-01-21, 08:52 AM
Ironsoul

[Ok, I'm going to craft an Awesome spear for the Pullyus, better we have someone with good fighting tools now rather than not have them in the future when we really wish we did :smallwink:

I'll also help out bringing down the mama.]

Tapeleg91
2010-01-21, 09:11 AM
Apparently I'm not at a bonfire.

Da chief ventures over to the Redcrows:

Old friend! Would you be willin' to foot-rugg with us by your fire?

Yarp
2010-01-21, 09:36 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong. This week has a lot of posts:

Small Bonfire 1
Seyhjachosen
Razortooths

"Small" Bonfire 2
Redcrows
Gasbags
Pullyus were invited, can't really tell if they accepted
Party Boyz request to join the fire.
Open

Yarp
2010-01-21, 10:26 AM
Gasbags

Gobnick had a stroke of genius. As he idly played with a pile of firewood, he began bending the sticks from the various trees the Gasbags had harvested from. After a few tests, Gobnick found a dark, hard wood that had flexibility to it, but also had power when it snapped back in position. This stick was to be a bow capable of piercing the thickest of animal hides. Quickly, Gobnick grabbed some sharp rocks and began carving down the stick. The stick would be blackened in the bonfire, and blessed by the priests of the tribe. Soon, Gasbag hunters would have a fine tool for their hunting expeditions.

As the Gasbags prepared for sleep, Foxtrot watched the discussion between the Redcrows and the Bloodspears. As Grokk Bloodspear spoke of attacking the father taurukk with the whole goblin tribe, Foxtrot interjected:
"What happens to the child? If we kill da father taurukk, the small one still has its mother. But if we hunt both the big 'uns, what happens to da little one? Its meat will be a waste if we leave it to starve and die here in the frozen wastes."

Gasbags build an awesome bow. (-7 CRU)

Kuma Da
2010-01-21, 12:38 PM
Redcrows

Brakki's expression grows heated before the eyes of the Bloodspear chief. A furious light glints in his eyes, and his mouth begins to open just as a withered hand drops softly onto his shoulder. Wisdom Sikti steps quickly past the silenced Brakki into the fire circle.

"Think before you accuse, child. None of us have any desire to be the Warlord. That memory is just a touch too fresh." Reaching up, her fingers skim a little burned patch of flesh below her right cheek. "I can understand your fear, child. I know you need to prove yourself. Is that why you're stepping forward with your flag, trying to become our leader? Our unifier? The-chief-who-would-let-no-goblins-die? The Warlord scared you badly enough that you lost your trust in anyone but you who holds power. For that I am deeply sorry, child.

I have no designs to lead. I will swear that before Seyhja, if I must. I hope only to keep us--not just my tribe but us, all of us--fed and alive."

Wisdom Sikti steps back for a moment as Foxtrop of the Gasbags stands up to speak.

"What happens to the child? If we kill da father taurukk, the small one still has its mother. But if we hunt both the big 'uns, what happens to da little one? Its meat will be a waste if we leave it to starve and die here in the frozen wastes."

"I do not believe we can claim all of them. To do so would be to risk entire families. However, in light of Grokk's worries, I will draw up two additional plans: one in which we hunt only the largest Tarruk, and one in which we go after all of them."

---------

Mmkay. First things first. Party boyz, welcome to the fire. A one resource donation to Gasbags would be appreciated. I think we may actually need to grow the fire, so if you have wood that would be great.

Now, as for tarruks, here's the safest plan:

Papa: Bloodspears (leading, +1 fighting and +1 assist, gains one food and one CRU,) Redcrows ( +1 perk, +2 tool, gets one food,) Pullyus (+1 assist, +1 fighter, +2 ironsoul's spear, gets one CRU) Gasbags (+1 assist, +2 bow "free",)

Total attack mod: +12 vs. +7 (we can't lose)

Resources allocated vs. resource total: 2 food 2 CRU vs. 7 food 4 CRU

Okay. That's four families on the largest target with a guaranteed win. We could add more families for lols or just distribute the rest of the loot afterwards for the sake of tribal unity.

--------------

And now, here's the most dangerous game plan:

-Papa:

Families in on the attack: Bloodspears (leading, +1 fighting and +1 assist, gains one food and one CRU,) Seyhjaschosen (+1 assist, +1 perk, gets one food and one CRU,) ironsoul (+1 assist, gains one food and one CRU) Gasbags (+1 assist, +2 bow "free",)

Total attack mod comparison: +8 v. +7

Resource allocation: 3 food 3 CRU vs. 7 food 4 CRU

-Mama:

Families in on the attack: Redcrows (leading, +1 perk, +2 tool, gets one food,) +1 hunting and +1 assist from sureshot (gains one food and 1 CRU,) +1 assist from firegazer (gains one food) Razortooths (+1 assist, gains one food)

Total attack mod comparison: +7 v. +6

Resource allocation: 4 food 1 CRU vs. 6 food 3 CRU

-Baby:

Families in on the attack: Party Boys (leading, +1 perk, gains one food and one CRU) Pullyus (+1 assist, +1 fighter, +2 ironsoul's spear, gets one CRU) Stonehammers (+1 assist, 1 food)

Total attack mod comparison: +6 vs. +5

Resource allocation: 2 food 2 CRU vs. 5 food 2 CRU

Obvious drawbacks to this plan include the Boyz, Spears, and me all dieing horribly. I still think the middle-of-the-road option in my earlier post is best. I'd be willing to try the most dangerous plan (especially if people are willing to do a bit more crafting to tip the odds. Bombs might be the key,) but I think the safest route only makes sense if a few families want to split the lion's share of the resources.

Just as a point of comparison, my earlier plan involves attacking Mama and Papa only at 11 vs. 7 and 10 vs. 6.

BobElliot
2010-01-21, 06:15 PM
The Pullyu clan accepts the Ironsoul's spear, with bows and promises of future synergy.

Our 2 wood went into the Redcrow's fire to make it a big one.
OOC (more so than my nearly third person posts)

My calculations of the odds in each scenario:
+5 comparative bonus (only attack papa): 1/36 chance to tie (2.7%)
+4 comparative bonus (papa and mama): 1/36 chance of death, 1/18 tie(5.6%)
+1 comparative bonus (all three):5/36 death (1/6 for one-1/36 for one and their two, 13.9%), 5/36 tie, 13/18 for outright win (72.2%).

With the most risky, 63.9% chance nobody will die (not counting ties). Two pronged attack, 94.5% chance of safety (again, not counting ties)

For total win, 3 attacks has a total win probability of 37.7%

Use this info at your risk. No guaruntee of perfection; I took calc instead of stat.

How do ties work out? does the attacker win, since they have the momentum, or does the defender win because of the ease of defending? Or does the attack not count as a battle?

The Bookworm
2010-01-21, 07:55 PM
Seyhjachosen use the one wood the Razortooths gave them plus one more to make a large bonfire. Three open spots! Cost: 1F or 1CRU!

Kuma Da
2010-01-21, 11:54 PM
Okay. 95% seems like pretty safe odds.

Tribe vote: Papa (100% win chance, leaves out families,) Papa and Mama (95% win chance, all families included), or all three (37% win chance, everyone included, large resource gain)?

I vote for Papa and Mama

storyteller
2010-01-22, 01:01 AM
Bloodspears

The word "child" that Wisdom likes to use amuses Grokk greatly. He points a finger at the youngest of the Bloodspears and asks:

"Who are ya?"

"I am Dakk!"

"How many winters have ya seen?"

"Twelve!"

"What are ya?

"I am a Bloodspear!"

"What are the Bloodspears!"

"WARRIORS!"

Grokk turns back to Wisdom Sikti and says: "Make no mistake, woman, there are no children among the Bloodspears. We are all warriors. Now, old woman, how many warriors do ya count among your family?" Smiling sarcastically, he leaves the questions hanging in the air.

"I do not accuse ya of wanting to be the new Warlord, though I do not know ya tru' intentions. I don't want to be him either. Just saying, we the nameless tribe are lacking in leadership, and it ain't the proper way to do it that a self-appointed leader starts calling out orders."

"Ya name is Wisdom, not mine, so tell me why last week two units of wood were wasted? Why three big fires were built when there were only twelve families to gather 'round them?"

"I say we need a council. But we can talk about that later. It's time to hunt."

"Pullyus, fellow warriors, I trust your plan and we are willing to go along with it." (Also voting for the two-pronged attack.) "Will ya lead the attack, or do ya prefer leading from the rear?"

Reserving a place at the Seyhjachosen's fire. (-1 food)

Kuma Da
2010-01-22, 01:44 AM
Redcrows

Sikti smiles sweetly at the Bloodspear chief, her lips chapped and cracking. "A child can swing a stick. So, too, can a child kill with it. I do not believe I misjudged you." The Wisdom clears her throat explosively, then beckons for a shadow from the Redcrows' side of the fire to step forward. "Preya-the-weakest, least of our number, are you a warrior?"

Preya hesitates and, over a stir of murmurs from the crows', Brakki's voice can clearly be heard growling in frustration. "I, um..." Preya hesitates.

"Go on. Are you a warrior?"

"Only when I need to be, Wisdom."

"Exactly. Grokk-of-the-spears, in the same breath you condemn us for encouraging the other families to work together and complain about a lack of leadership. I can't help but wonder if, as warriors, you are looking for conflict where one doesn't exist.

I agree with you that we need a council--one where every family has a voice, and everyone is free to speak--and I agree that there have been wasteful losses. If we work together, we can prevent these. To this end, hunter Brakki will volunteer his services in teaching members of your family how to better gather food from the wild."

"What?!"

"He will. And, in return, we would like to request that some of your professional warriors spend time sparring with members of the Crows. The first step towards peace is understanding, and I would have peace between us." Having finished her piece, Wisdom Sikti bows her head slightly and recedes into a knot of Redcrows.

Yarp
2010-01-22, 06:25 AM
As this is now a matter of gobbo survival rather than being "nice" regarding the taurukks, the Gasbags vote for the two-pronged attack.

The Bookworm
2010-01-22, 07:14 AM
Two-Pronged Attack!
Seyhjachosen Stats: 2F, 0W, 0CRU, Axe, 1WoodcuttingXP, 1CraftingXP, Hunting Perk

Kensen
2010-01-22, 07:21 AM
I intend to enforce the four-day rule, and thus I expect you to have a battle plan laid out by tomorrow. If you don't have anything to add, I'll use Kuma Da's plan for the two-pronged attack. The Redcrows will lead the attack against Papa, and the Party Boyz will lead the attack against Mama.

Also, make sure that your goblin family has a place at a fire!

And finally, I'm not sending reminders to the players anymore; I expect you to be sufficiently interested in the game to check out the thread every now and then, or better yet, to subscribe to the thread. This also means that Greystone is considered to have dropped out if I don't hear from him by tomorrow.

Oh and good luck!

Round 4 will be rough and from there it'll only get worse... Next week, the goblins enter a mountain pass called the Giants' Gate.

Rauthiss
2010-01-22, 07:30 AM
If it hasn't been made official already, I'm afraid I'm going to have to drop this, with school and such. Sorry, all.

Jokes
2010-01-22, 08:32 AM
[The Firegazers have some wood harvested this round, so I'll go halves with them in a small fire]

BobElliot
2010-01-22, 08:40 AM
The Pullyus have looked at the odds, and believe that the best course of action is to attack the two adults. Nobody should die, and everybody should gain something.
ooc

have we gotten information about what happens with ties?

Kessler
2010-01-22, 12:49 PM
[Well, since Firegazers have an agreement with Ironsouls, Axe for 3 nights at fire, the small fire is all on Firegazers]

Grim ranger
2010-01-22, 01:00 PM
Sureshots

If there is still room by Redcrows fire, Sureshots would gladly pay 1 CRU to get a place alongside it for the night. Also, open trade offer to anyone interested to trade 1 CRU to 1 food unit.

Kuma Da
2010-01-22, 01:06 PM
Sureshots get the last spot at the Redcrows/Gasbags fire. Their 1 CRU goes to the Gasbags.

storyteller
2010-01-22, 01:24 PM
Bloodspears

Grokk responds to the elder's speech with a deep, loud hearty laugh. "If only your spear was as sharp as your tongue" Grokk said smiling, "you could face all three Taurukks alone, Wisdom Sikti."

Grokk nods. "I accept your offer. Brakki will be a honorary Bloodspear for a week or two and I'll treat him like a brother. Speaking of brothers," Grokk pats a Bloodspear standing near him on the back, "this is my kid brother Graic. He's the best fighter in the bunch, myself exluded of course. He'll show ya how to handle the spear."

Graic is a mean-looking goblin, the sides of his head shaved clean and the rest of his hair spiked with animal blood. He gives Grokk an angry look, then joins the Redcrows without saying a word.

"So, everyone ready? I'm getting hungry!"

Tapeleg91
2010-01-22, 02:27 PM
Chief Suppaslugga:

You brought the heat, I bring the meat!

-1 Food (given to the Gasbags)

We's ready to party! Le's go slash 'dem Woolyz!

Kuma Da
2010-01-22, 02:30 PM
Redcrows

Brakki stands motionless for a minute, then spits loudly into the fire and marches over to the Bloodspears. He can distinctly be heard muttering as he fades into their ranks. "Bet none of you lot ever killed anything with your teeth before..."

Meanwhile, as Graic crosses to the Crows, Preya shrinks back, doing his best to blend with Wisdom Sikti's robes.

Morty
2010-01-22, 03:12 PM
Razortooths

Razortooths seem to favor attacking Papa and Mama.
((Does crafting weapons count as a resource action?))

Yarp
2010-01-22, 03:22 PM
Gasbags

"Da Black Stinga" was complete. It's curved frame blackened and rubbed down with ash from the bonfire, this bow was a fearsome sight indeed. Along the bow, Gobnick carved icons representing Seyhja and Merkan. As Gobnick placed his creation on a stone surface in the center of the Gasbag camp, a hush fell across the chatty goblins. Only great events cause the whole Gasbag family to go silent, and this bow was a miraculous sign of the growing strength of the tribe.

But who would wield the masterful bow? Gasbags are not known particularly for their accuracy or their hunting skills. Unless one had true conviction, no self-respecting Gasbag would ever volunteer to wield an expert-fully crafted weapon. Suddenly, a Gasbag broke the silence. "I shall wield it!" It was Jeeves da Wolfbiter, a wide and tall Gasbag with a mass of purple-dyed hair with a few small braids and a headband made from vine. Jeeves wasn't the fiercest of gobbos, but the Gasbags revered him ever since he tried to protect himself as an infant by biting a wolf who was attempting to maul the small gobbo. Scarred but still alive, Jeeves lifted himself up and walked over to accept "Da Black Stinga."

"I know of only one proper way to christen this wonderful bow, my friends. By joining with our goblin brethren and slaying the largest creatures I have ever seen--the Taurukk! Tomorrow, we hunt!"

Gasbag Stats:
Food: 3 units
Wood: 1 units
Crafting: 3 units
Equipment: "Da Black Stinga" (awesome bow)
Trade: Loaned 5 CRU to Redcrows. Partial repayment received, other payment + interest coming in pieces.
Offering assistance in Taurukk hunt for "free."
Allies: None (yet).

Kensen
2010-01-22, 03:48 PM
A tie means the combat round was inconclusive. In a one-on-one fight, the tie is simply resolved by re-rolling. In mass combat, it means that neither party kills the other, which means another combat round is needed. Between combat rounds, it's possible to re-allocate the families, i.e. order them to attack a different opponents or change the families leading the attack.

Producing craft units (CRU) takes a resource action, but creating an tool/object with them doesn't.

Morty
2010-01-22, 04:37 PM
In this case, Razortooths, use 4 CRU to produce a spear which they offer to any family who takes part in the hunting in exchange for part of the food.

Kuma Da
2010-01-22, 04:40 PM
Razortooths, we don't quite need that spear to win. It might be better to hold off on making it so that you can craft an awesome instead.

Of course, if your plan is just to craft and trade it, neither of the above considerations really apply.

The Bookworm
2010-01-22, 05:51 PM
Anyone else need a fire space? We have three left!

Yarp
2010-01-23, 07:01 PM
[We have to choose to attack something by tonight, or else the turn ends...]

Jokes
2010-01-23, 09:02 PM
[I take it whoever is attacking should just roll the dice and get this week over with?]

Tapeleg91
2010-01-23, 09:55 PM
I assume the two-pronged attack prevails in the voting!

Me: [roll0] vs. Mama: [roll1]

Assuming Kuma Da's allocation of resources on page 6.

Note: Kensen, if nobody attacks papa, just ignore this post.

Kuma Da
2010-01-23, 11:52 PM
Redcrows

Roll vs. Papa: [roll0]+11

Papa's roll: [roll1]+7

HAH!

---

Families in on the hunt of Papa: Redcrows (leading. +1 perk, +2 tool, gets one food,) Pullyus (+1 assist, +1 fighter, +2 ironsoul's spear, gets one CRU) Seyhjaschosen (+1 assist, +1 perk, gets one food and one CRU,) Stonehammers (+1 assist, 1 food) Razortooths (+1 assist, on food)

Current mod to attack: +11

+11 vs. +7 is good

Loot allocated: 4 food, 3 CRU (3 food, 1 CRU left over)

Families hunting Mama: Party Boys (leading, +1 perk, gains one food and one CRU) +1 assist from ironsoul (gains one food and one CRU from the hunt of Papa), +1 hunting and +1 assist from sureshot (gains one food and 1 CRU,) +1 assist from firegazer (gains one food), +1 fighting and +1 assist from Bloodspears (gains one food and one CRU,) Gasbags (+1 assist, +2 bow "free",)

Current attack mod: +10

+10 vs. +6 is good.

---

Regarding spare resources from the hunt: Does else anyone need food to last the week? I'd like to assign 2 food and 1 CRU from papa to the Gasbags both because they're helping for free and to pay back my debt, but if anyone needs those extra resources to survive, they get priority.

Yarp
2010-01-24, 10:09 AM
[Sureshots, is that trade that you mentioned last page a trade for 1 unit of your CRU for 1 unit of someone's food? If so, I accept that trade (-1 Food for Gasbags, +1 CRU for Gasbags)]

Kensen
2010-01-24, 10:29 AM
Apologies for the delay. I was competing in a martial arts tournament this weekend and I have been quite exhausted, but I'll post an update a.s.a.p.!

Kuma Da
2010-01-24, 10:36 AM
Hey, no problem. Martial arts trumps forums use.

Also, did you win? :smallcool:

Kensen
2010-01-24, 04:58 PM
ROUND 3 ENDS!

Check your stats! I'm pretty sure there are some miscalculations and typos there, so please let me know if your resources, tools or xp doesn't look right.

Each family consumes a food unit.

BIG FIRE
Seyhjachosen 0 2 1 1P1- 1-----
Razortooths 1 1 9 1-P- ------
Bloodspears 1 1 3 -12P 1-----

BIG FIRE
Gasbags 2 1 3 1-P- -2----
Redcrows 1 0 0 1P-- -2----
Pullyus 0 0 2 21-P ---2--
Party Boyz 1 4 1 -P1- ------
Sureshots 0 1 4 1P1- ------

SMALL FIRE
Ironsoul 1 2 1 -1P- ------
Firegazers 4 3 0 P--- 1-----

NO CAMP
Stonehammers 2 0 3 1-P- ------

Shadow Tree was eliminated. They wandered off and were eaten by a dire arctic grue with a nasty template from MM7.
Stonehammers are still with us but they'll be eliminated if they don't do anything on round 4. I'll rule that they stayed at the Seyhjachosen's fire.
Razortooths have eleven resource units. I'll rule that they sacrifice one CRU to Merkan unless Morty wants them to craft an object or donate a resource unit to another family. (Hint: Build a sled and you probably won't have the same problem again.)

Taurukk hunters: You must divvy up the spoils before I post the info for the next round.

Round 4 begins on Monday.

EDIT: I did win a few matches but not the whole thing.

Kessler
2010-01-24, 05:01 PM
Ok, my stats check out.

Kensen
2010-01-24, 05:06 PM
It's taurukk meat, Kessler. :smallwink: See Kuma Da's attack plan, 1 food is your share.

Oh, and a sneak peek into the future of goblinkind (not available yet):

ATTACK SLED

The epitome of goblin technology and awesomeness, the attack sled (aka thunder sled) is a lightly armored vehicle powered by a wood gas engine that drives two wooden barrels at the rear. Skis at the front provide directional control. Its front and sides are fitted with metal spikes. It's loud... It's deadly.

Each use of the attack sled consumes 1 wood unit. When used, the attack sled gives the goblin family a +2 bonus on the Fighting roll that stacks with all other bonuses. Also, if the goblin family loses the fight, it is not disbanded. Instead, the attack sled is destroyed.

The Bookworm
2010-01-24, 07:36 PM
Kensen: Do the Stonehammers get to stay at my fire for free, or can it be ruled that they have to pay the asking price? (1 CRU)

Kuma Da
2010-01-24, 09:54 PM
Redcrows

We don't have one wood, Kensen. That went into a fire with the Gasbags.

As for loot distribution on Papa, of the spares, I'd like two food and 1 CRU to go to Gasbags, and the last one food to stay in my inventory (if someone needs it later, I'll give it to them.)

For the extra loot distribution on Mama, party boyz should choose.

For all other loot (i.e. stuff covered by the plan,) judging by the fact that no one's raised a ruckus, it can probably be safely distributed according to the plan.

Tapeleg91
2010-01-24, 10:02 PM
Leftover distribution of resources from the mama fight:

One food for each person except for the gasbags (the got some from papa) and I want the three CRU's to go to:

1 to Me
1 to Firegazer
1 to Redcrows

Kensen
2010-01-25, 02:43 AM
Families (updated):

BIG FIRE
Seyhjachosen 0 2 2 1P1- 1-----
Razortooths 1 1 8 1-P- ------
Bloodspears 1 1 3 -12P 1-----
Stonehammers 2 0 2 1-P- ------

BIG FIRE
Gasbags 2 3 4 1-P- -2----
Redcrows 0 1 0 1P-- -2----
Pullyus 0 0 2 21-P ---2--
Party Boyz 1 5 1 -P1- ------
Sureshots 0 1 4 1P1- ------

SMALL FIRE
Ironsoul 1 2 1 -1P- ------
Firegazers 4 3 0 P--- 1-----

I gave the leftover loot from Papa to the Gasbags as Kuma Da suggested. Mama's loot was already divvied up except for 1 food which I gave to the Party Boyz.

The Bookworm: I gave you a CRU from the Stonehammers.

Round 4 begins!

Snowember the 25th, the Giants' Gate

The long march through the frozen tundra finally ends. You arrive at the foothills of a great mountain range. Pyrhekk's fourth burning star landed somewhere beyond the mountains, so that's where you must go.

The Giants' Gate is a mountain pass through which you must go to make it to the other side of the mountains. According to legends, some of the weird looking rock formations were built by giants thousands of years ago, hence the name for the place. But as you walk on, you notice a crude wall built of large boulders. And three ugly giants guarding it...

"RUCKUS IS HUNGRY. I SAY STOMPUS GO STOMP ON SOME ANIMALS AND BRING EM HOME," says one of the giants. This one has a disproportionally large mouth and a loud booming voice.

A giant with huge feet replies: "You lazy bum! You go yourself! Stompus is tired of being bossed around!"

A third giant, this one loathsomely obese, says: "Wait boys! Chubbus sees many little green men! Look!"

"GOBBOS!" says RUCKUS and licks his big lips.

"Hundreds of them!" says Stompus, "We can't stomp on all of them!"

TERRAIN FEATURES

Normal terrain: Make resource rolls normally.

WEEKLY CHALLENGE

Fast food: The giants agree to let you pass safely if you pay 10 food units. If you don't, you have no choice but to attack them. Fighting stats:

Stompus: 1d6+5
RUCKUS: 1d6+4
Chubbus: 1d6+4

If you choose to fight, you'll have to form three teams, and each team must have a leader. This time you cannot choose to fight only one or two of them. And this time you cannot use your Hunting skill. Only the Fighting skill applies.

OPTIONAL QUEST

Negotiation: The giants are (more or less) intelligent beings, so it's possible to talk to them. Be warned, however, they are not very patient giants. They're hungry.

Kessler
2010-01-25, 12:47 PM
Firegazers

Blaze looked at the giants towering over the goblins. They were no match against the well armed and organized fighting force. But there was still a chance that goblins would be stomped. And there were humans to worry about. If they sent a force to pursue goblins, then a trio of giants might give them a pause. Blaze was going to convince other families not to fight. But perhaps a bit of negotiations and trickery wouldn't hurt. Was there a way to get past the giants without paying any tribute?

Kuma Da
2010-01-25, 12:54 PM
Redcrows

Hunting:[roll0]+1 perk +2 tool

storyteller
2010-01-25, 12:54 PM
Bloodspears

At a safe distance from the giants, waving his star banner, Grokk shouted "Council meeting! Council meeting!"

Lowering his voice somewhat, he said "We should vote. Fight or pay?"

Not surprisingly, Grokk added: "I say we fight!"

BobElliot
2010-01-25, 01:09 PM
As the Pullyus mull over their thoughts, we get busy doing something productive. Already with a good deal of practice cutting wood, we attempt to forage for more sticks and logs to create a nice warm fire that we can think it over at. Right now, they think that leaving these brutes behind to interfere with the humans that are sure to be following would be a good idea; however, the Pullyus have no food to give and have always relished the fight.
[roll0] wood

Having enough wood for a good sized fire, the Pullyus invite the Ironsouls first in order to show their repayment for the spear. Other cold families may join, with a request of 1 food for the Pullyu's week and any further donations to go to the great Ironsouls.

If I've got the names confused correct me. The Ironsouls gave me the spear, correct?
1 W left, 2 CRU

Kuma Da
2010-01-25, 01:17 PM
Redcrows

Preya-the-weakest shivers. The bracing mountain air sweeps right through his patchwork fur robes, awakening lines of rosy windburn to lie next to the tribal stripes patterning his flesh. Crossing his hands over his chest, he wills himself to be warm. Or, at least, to freeze only slowly. Anything is better than going back to the Redcrows camp and facing Graic.

Graic. Ten tons of shaven hate in a four foot tall body. When Wisdom Sikti had proposed an exchange of knowledge between the families, Preya had been nervous. After all, the Spears were known for their relentless aggression, but maybe they knew a few tricks that would help him bring down his first hunt. They couldn't be all that bad.

Preya's throat spasms, and something that is not quite a laugh and not quite a sob is ripped away by the wind. Sure, Graic had seemed okay in a tear-off-your-arms-and-beat-you-with-them kind of way...at least until the push-ups. So many push-ups.

The wind rises again, shrilling evilly, but all Preya can think about for the moment is the overwhelming ache in his biceps. He is never going to go back to camp again. Never.

----

"We fight, but only as a last resort." Wisdom Sikti stands up from her rock at the council meeting. "If we can pass by without conflict, without losing families, then that is for the best. More families means more hunters, more woodcutters, more goblins with spears to stand watch while we sleep. As much as I am loathe to pay such an outrageous toll, the Redcrows will provide part of the tithe. Of course, if a third option presents itself, I suggest we go with it."

----

Cresting the curve of a crag, Preya pauses for breath. It is bitterly, bone-rippingly cold up here, miles above the rest of the tribe, but at least it's safe.

Right?

The massive eyeball that Preya has climbed level with swivels to stare at him.

Voting 'pay', pending negotiations with the giants.

Offering to front 7 food for the tribute

and

Offering to lead one of the giant-fighting parties if we vote 'fight'.

Morty
2010-01-25, 01:26 PM
I say we pay them, says Gurmind Razortooth. If we attack, we might overwhelm them, but half of us will end up as stains on the ground.
Meanwhile, Razortooth crafters make an awesome spear, in case they do indeed fight. Other members of the family go hunting.
[roll0]

Kessler
2010-01-25, 02:00 PM
Firegazers

I say we bribe them, says Blaze. But if someone has a plan on how we can trick them, we can try that as well.

storyteller
2010-01-25, 02:39 PM
Bloodspears

Even though everyone else seems to want to pay the tribute rather than fight, Grokk is smiling.

"If we end up fighting the giants for some reason, I volunteer to lead one of the parties. I want to kill the big-footed one."

Grokk pauses to scratch his head.

"But if we choose to pay, it's gonna cost only one food for each family. I say those families with lotsa food give the giants the amount of food they want, and the rest of us give those families firewood and crafting materials to make up for it. How's that sound?"

(In other words, each family loses only one resource unit, whether food, or wood or CRU.)

The Bookworm
2010-01-25, 02:51 PM
The Seyhjachosen realize that fighting the giants is an unnecessary to the welfare of the tribes. Much as Kyra hates giants, she and the others come to a decision that bribery is the best route.
Hunting: [roll0] (+1 perk)
Seyhjachosen (8F, 0W, 2CRU, Axe) pay one food to the Pullyus in exchange for a space at their fire.

Yarp
2010-01-25, 05:07 PM
Gasbags
"The Council" was now becoming full-fledged idea. The Bloodspears made the call, and the leaders of the other tribes answered. This first session was to discuss what the tribe should do regarding the giants.

As the various leaders spoke, Foxtrot shuddered slightly from the cold. Then, with a sigh and some slight exertion to stand from his sitting stone, he spoke his piece:
"These giants may prove useful to us, if we handled the situation correctly. They may have something of value to us, and we could negotiate a trade. But I am not one to think that we should give in to threats. We've proven to ourselves than we can tackle great beasts. These giants are not dissimilar to the mighty Taurukk, but we goblins managed to conquer them with ease. Our exodus gets harder and harder with each passing week. We can't devote a large chunk of our food to these giants when some members of the tribe aren't eating their fill already. I say if it's a fight the big 'uns want, it's a fight the big 'uns get. But we should at least talk to them."

Gasbags vote to negotiate with the giants. If negotiation fails, they choose to fight rather than waste precious food.

Tapeleg91
2010-01-25, 07:19 PM
Da Chief of da Party Boyz approaches the giants:

We be runnin' from HUMIES! When they done come 'ere, you be runnin' from 'em too! If we give you food, da humies take 'em away, and if we fight, both of us be eazy killin'.

Yea, ye can stomp us. But dat too eazy, and not at all fun. OR, ye can stomp on HUMIES when dey come 'ere! 'Dey's bigger, and tastier too.

Da Chief backs off, then tells his boyz to begin work on a weapon.

Crafting roll
[roll0]

wow...every time i have done a crafting roll it has turned out to be a 1.

Kuma Da
2010-01-25, 09:11 PM
Redcrows

Preya's first instinct is to throw himself against the rocky, gravelly surface of the slope. Then he realizes that this only puts him closer to a state of squished-ness; one which--in the presences of the giants--he is actively trying to avoid.

Preya's second thoughts tell him to run away, but as his legs are bracing to flee, he remembers that the giants' are much longer. They'll be able to catch him with ease.

Instead of running or hiding, Preya draws in a quick breath--hyperventilates a little--and addresses Chubbus. "I...er...um..." Grabbing him metaphorically by the neck, his survival instinct shakes him until a coherent thought comes loose. "Good sir giant, I come to you as a representative of the goblin clans. We...er...um...would like to...uh...ask-for-passage-through-these-slopes?" Another good-natured mental throttling, and his thoughts clear a little bit more. "We're willing to pay you. We have lots and lots of food cut off the sides of mighty Tarruks. For us, it is too much, but for you it should be a feast, sir giant."

A loud belch, redolent of stale goat echoes through the mountains, and Preya turns to notice the two other giants standing nearby. "Um...I don't think there's enough for all of you, though. You're pretty big. We could give one of you all that tasty Tarruk-jerkey, though. You'd best decide which one that's going to be."

Preya speaks with the giants. Are we gonna RP this out, Kensen?

Kensen
2010-01-26, 04:56 AM
RUCKUS talks to the leader of the Party Boyz.

"HUMIES? NO HUMIES HERE" says RUCKUS, "THEY NEVER COME HERE. BUT WE STOMP IF THEY DO. YOU GIVE US FOOD AND WE DON'T HAVE TO STOMP YOU GOBBOS. AND WE EAT THE FOOD! NOTHING LEFT FOR THE HUMIES 'CEPT STOMPS!"

Chubbus listens to Preya and replies:

"Taurukk meat! Ooh, now I'm really hungry!"

"BUT ONLY ENOUGH FOR ONE OF US!" says RUCKUS.

"I want the taurukk meat!" says Stompus.

"NOT IF RUCKUS AND CHUBBUS KICK YOUR ARSE FIRST!"

"Ha! You can try!"

"Or we have gobbos for starters and split the taurukk meat three ways."

"Ooh I like that idea even better!"

"ME TOO!"

New offer: They'll let you pass if you give them 5 food and 1 goblin family. The previous offer still stands, though, if that seems unreasonable.

Kessler
2010-01-26, 02:24 PM
Firegazers

Woodcutting: [roll0]

Why don't we give the giants their food. In three piles, one for each giant. And one pile would be visibly larger than the other two. Perhaps our problem will solve itself, quietly whispered Blaze to other goblins, looking at the bickering Giants.

Tapeleg91
2010-01-26, 03:04 PM
Kensen:

Can we offer up a Gobbo family that has dropped out?

Grim ranger
2010-01-26, 03:06 PM
Sureshots

Hunting roll: [roll0]+1 from hunting skill= 5 food units

Sureshots vote for diplomacy, but would rather fight the giants than give them so outrageous sum of food

Kuma Da
2010-01-26, 03:20 PM
Redcrows

Redcrows are fundamentally opposed to giving the giants a goblin family, regardless of whether they've dropped or not.

Kensen
2010-01-26, 05:47 PM
Families that have perished before this round cannot be offered to the giants. Any family that was on the list of families at the end of round 3 is eligible to be offered as part of the tribute. But betraying your kin is generally seen as one of the most serious crimes in most societies. It may also be a good way to anger Pyrhekk, who's not only the goddess of fire and desctruction, but also of community.

The Bookworm
2010-01-26, 07:16 PM
Kyra speaks to the other families:
"I will not participate in the betrayal of goblins to our sworn enemies the giants! If you choose to do this, the Seyhjachosen will stand against you. We could bribe the giants, but not with our lives! Or, we could fight them..."

Kuma Da
2010-01-26, 07:25 PM
Okay, so, assuming we were going to attack the giants, this is what we've got roughly for our forces.

Vs. Stompus: Redcrows (leading,) Pullyus (+1 assist, +1 fighter, +2 ironsoul's spear) Seyhjaschosen (+1 assist,) Razortooths (+1 assist)

Current mod to attack: 6/5

Vs. Ruckus: Party Boys (leading) +1 assist from ironsoul, +1 assist from sureshot, +1 assist from firegazer, +1 fighting and +1 assist from Bloodspears, Gasbags (+1 assist)

Current attack mod: 6/4

Vs. Chubbus:

Current attack mod: /4

The Bookworm
2010-01-26, 07:27 PM
Redcrows: You didn't factor in the Razortooth's awesome spear for your battle mods. That's another +2.
Also, the Seyhjachosen are willing to craft a bomb, and many other families have enough resources for more bombs and weapons.

Current state of the families:

LARGE FIRE
Pullyus 1 1 2 31-P ---2--
Seyhjachosen 0 7 2 1P1- 1-----

Razortooths 1 5 1 11P- ---2--
Bloodspears 8 1 3 -12P 1-----
Stonehammers 2 0 2 1-P- ------
Gasbags 2 3 4 1-P- -2----
Redcrows 0 8 0 1P-- -2----
Party Boyz 1 5 2 -P2- ------
Sureshots 0 6 4 1P1- ------
Ironsoul 1 3 1 -2P- ------
Firegazers 10 3 0 P--- 1-----

Jokes
2010-01-26, 07:52 PM
Ironsoul

White-with-One ponders on the current predicament. He didn't like giving up well earned food, but he liked the idea of losing families even less.

[roll0]

Yarp
2010-01-26, 08:01 PM
[Why do I have the sudden feeling that we could totally conceal 3 bombs in 3 piles of Taurukk meat, feed it to the giants, and watch 'em blow sky high? :smallbiggrin:]

Kuma Da
2010-01-26, 11:10 PM
Yarp...your plan is an awesome plan

edit: admittedly, it would still cost us nine resources and might trigger a fight, but awesome nonetheless.

Redcrows

Preya shrinks back from Chubbus at the notion of anyone scarfing entire goblin families. "Don't eat me! I...er...I mean, you wouldn't want to eat me or any of my people. we've all been the victim of a terrible outbreak of the...um...kroot spots." He gestures to the paint stripped across his face. "Very contagious. You don't want anything to do with that. Besides, you sound like you guys like tarruk meat a lot, and I know just where some is, juicy and fresh and wandering the tundra. My people are expert hunters, and we could spare a guide to take you right to it. How does that sound?"

Kessler
2010-01-27, 03:53 AM
[Can we trick them into fighting each other and have the tarruk meat stuffed with a bomb, to take out the winner? Than its only 3 crafting resources. Go explosions!]

Kensen
2010-01-27, 04:14 AM
Wearing a sad expression, Chubbus replies: "We are big, but not big enuff to stomp tarr.. taurukks. But we like taurukk meat, yes we do. The other gobbos gave us some, they were nice gobbos. But they gone now. Went to see the oracle. Never came back." Chubbus sighs.

"THEY TAUGHT US A SONG" RUCKUS adds.

"You's a nice gobbo too" Chubbus says "You can go. You and your family."

"BUT THE THOSE GOBBOS MUST GIVE US FOOD" RUCKUS says, pointing a finger at the other families.

New offer: 9 food or 4 food and 1 goblin family for safe passage.

Note: The bomb, despite its name, is an incendiary device. Upon impact it will break and the fuse will ignite its contents, setting things on fire and creating smoke.

BOMB (3 Crafting Reserve Units)

This simple incendiary device is created by pouring alcohol, tar and animal blood into a stolen vase or similar container, and fitted with a fuse. When ignited and thrown, it sets things on fire and creates a thick, choking cloud of smoke.

The bomb grants a +2 bonus on Fighting rolls. This bonus stacks with other tool bonuses but not with itself. When attacking or accepting a fighting challenge, you must declare if you're going to use a bomb. The bomb is a one-shot object.

storyteller
2010-01-27, 11:37 AM
Bloodspears

Woodcutting
[roll0] (+1 axe)

Trade offer: Will trade wood for food or CRU on a 1-to-1 basis, up to three units.

Kuma Da
2010-01-27, 11:58 AM
Redcrows

Preya knows that he's going to regret this, from the moment the words leave his mouth, but he can't help but ask "What oracle? What song?"

Kensen
2010-01-27, 05:39 PM
"I thought you go there too." Chubbus shrugs. "Oracle, yes, lives in the mountains. If you go that way you gobbos were going before you met us, just stay on the path and you find oracle cave for sure."

"The song? Is a fun song the goblins taught us to sing. We fell trees, chop chop chop, we burn trees, burn burn burn..."

"WE KILL BEASTS, KILL KILL KILL!"

"And then we eat, meat meat meat!"

The Bookworm
2010-01-27, 06:11 PM
Seyhjachosen would like to pay the giants the nine food. We have enough to do that, and it doesn't risk loss of life.

Kuma Da
2010-01-27, 08:20 PM
Redcrows

Preya hums along, trying to get the tune of it. It doesn't sound like the song of any family he knows (although with a good beat behind it, it could be adapted to one of the Party Boyz' crone stomps.) "Meat meat meat....hmm, speaking of which, I think I should be going back to my family now. It is getting a little frosty." His arms have long since passed the point of gooseflesh, and are raw from the exposure. "It was nice, uh, not being snatched up and devoured by you. I'll come back when we bring the food."

Preya pauses a moment, for propriety's sake, then dashes off down the slope.

Paying 7 food to the giants.

Tapeleg91
2010-01-27, 08:28 PM
Seeing as his trickery will not do the trick, and how 78% of the fee is already being paid, Chief Suppaslugga decides on paying the last 2 food to pass the giants.

Kuma Da
2010-01-27, 10:26 PM
Bloodspears, I'll reimburse you with food next week in exchange for a spot at a campfire.

storyteller
2010-01-28, 02:59 AM
Bloodspears

The Bloodspears build a small bonfire and invite the Redcrows to share it with them.

"We shall practice the arts of war and hunting together" Grokk proclaims.

Graic, who's still standing among the Crows, glares at his brother, his eyes full of hate.

Build a small bonfire (-2 wood). The Redcrows are invited to stay at the fire for free because they paid the Bloodspears share of the tribute to the giants. The Bloodspears are willing to expand the fire if more families wish to join, but the families are expected to donate either 1 food or 1 wood if they wish to join.

Kensen
2010-01-28, 03:10 AM
Optional quest: completed.
Weekly challenge: completed.

I'm ready to close round 4, but it looks like many of you haven't got a place at a fire yet. Also, make sure that you don't have too many resource units at the end of the round, so they won't be wasted.

Yarp
2010-01-28, 06:21 AM
Gasbags

Crafting Roll
[roll0]

Going to the Bloodspears' fire. -2 wood to expand the fire, -1 food to give to the Bloodspears for a spot by the fire (that is, unless me expanding the fire counted as my tribute).

EDIT: Alright, the Gasbags use 6 of their 7 CRU to craft an awesome axe.

Kessler
2010-01-28, 08:55 AM
Firegazers

Firegazers make a large fire (-4 wood) and invite Ironsouls and Party Boyz to it.

The two remaining spots are open in exchange for food units, to be given in the next round.

Jokes
2010-01-28, 09:46 AM
And the Ironsoul accept the Firegazers camp.

[This is the last week of our agreement, yes?]

storyteller
2010-01-28, 09:50 AM
Bloodspears

Grokk shakes his head in disbelief as he sees a third large bonfire. "Pyrhekk is proud... but what a waste of wood."

The Bloodspears accept the food unit as a payment for the spot by the fire. One of the wood units is given to the Redcrows who gave the giants a huge amount of food. The other wood unit is given back to the Gasbags. The Bloodspears use two wood units to make the fire larger.

"Ya already paid" Grokk says with a smile.

Razortooths and Sureshots are invited to the Bloodspears' fire. If they have spare food units, a payment of one food unit is requested.

Morty
2010-01-28, 12:45 PM
Razortooths accept Bloodspears' offer and pay a single food unit.

Tapeleg91
2010-01-28, 01:33 PM
Party Boyz accept Firegazers' invitation to the fire.

Grim ranger
2010-01-28, 01:54 PM
Sureshots accept the offer of Bloodspears and pay 1 food unit to them in exchange of fireside place

Kensen
2010-01-28, 03:29 PM
Round 4 ends!

Each family consumes a food unit.

Check your resources, etc.!

SMALL FIRE
Pullyus 3 0 2 211P ---2--
Seyhjachosen 0 6 2 1P1- 1-----

BIG FIRE
Bloodspears 4 3 3 112P 1-----
Redcrows 1 0 0 1P-- -2----
Gasbags 1 1 1 1-P- 22----
Razortooths 1 3 1 11P- ---2--
Sureshots 0 4 4 1P1- ------

BIG FIRE
Firegazers 6 2 0 P--- 1-----
Ironsoul 1 2 1 -2P- ------
Party Boyz 1 2 2 -P2- ------

Note: I changed the Pullyus' fire to small and gave them back 2 wood units since only one family stayed at their fire.

Kessler
2010-01-28, 03:58 PM
Firegazers

Another family is gone. There are less and less of us at the fires. I wonder if we will reach the promised land. Or perhaps our bones will grow cold as the last campfire dies. I am the last woodcutter left and I make a vow in the name of the Pyrhekk. I will make a fire each night, until this is all over.

Kensen
2010-01-28, 04:28 PM
Frostuary the 4th, the Ironpeak Mountains

Having paid the tribute, the goblins continued deeper into the mountains, trying to find a way to the other side of the mountain range. The path was narrow and slippery, and most of the time the goblins were just one slip away from falling to a certain death. Fierce winds and snowfall make it even worse.

TERRAIN FEATURES

Barren: Hunting and Woodcutting rolls are halved and rounded down.
Caves: Up to two families do not need to stay at a fire to survive.

WEEKLY CHALLENGE

Stay on the path: Falling off a cliff and freezing to death are the most serious perils encountered in this region. Each goblin family has a 1 in 6 chance of being destroyed. The roll is made at the end of the round. You can avoid this by doubling the goblins' rations for the week, i.e. using a second food unit at the end of the round instead of rolling.

OPTIONAL QUEST

Oracle: The oracle lives in a cave near the peak of one of the tallest mountains in the region. The oracle will answer up to three questions per visitor, but he is mute and can only answer yes-no questions by nodding, shaking his head or shrugging. If the question is convoluted or otherwise impossible to answer, the oracle will just shrug. You may ask the questions in-character or out-of-character.

Example: Is the next region barren?

The oracle has the following rules:
* Only one visitor at a time.
* You must never disclose any information you get from the oracle to other people. You can only talk about it indirectly lest you anger the gods. This also means that you'll have to send the questions to me in a PM.
* You must give the oracle one resource unit. If the oracle gets too many resource units of the same type, though, he won't accept more visitors that week.

Kessler
2010-01-28, 05:37 PM
Firegazer

Blaze addresses other goblin leaders: We must use this opportunity to gain wisdom from the Oracle. But the questions mustn't be squandered. We need to make sure, that for example no question about the future perils is asked twice.

I suggest that each goblin visiting the Oracle, asks if anybody in their family would suffer a mishap in these treacherous slopes. Than extra rations could be packed, so the unfortunate goblin wouldn't freeze to death.

BobElliot
2010-01-28, 06:13 PM
The Pullyus volunteer their time to cutting wood. Since we already have a sizable pile, we will build a 5 family fire if there is enough interest. However, we need food. We ask only that two families provide us with the food we need to safely survive another week. And to the Firegazers, we offer our assistance in gathering wood. We soon will be as skilled as you are.
[roll0]/2=3 wood cutting, for a total of 6. Plenty for a big fire.
I think that our skill allotment should be 310P+this round; I haven't crafted for a round yet.

The Bookworm
2010-01-28, 07:34 PM
Ina spends the day crafting, while Kyra decides to take a hike to the oracle.
Crafting: [roll0]
The Seyhjachosen use their 7 CRU to craft an awesome bow.
Seyhjachosen (6F, 0W, 0CRU, Axe, Awesome Bow)

Kuma Da
2010-01-28, 08:40 PM
Redcrows

Hunting: ([roll0]+1+2)/2

Using the two rations to avoid dieing this week.

Will swap one wood for a spot at a fire.

Tapeleg91
2010-01-28, 09:01 PM
Hunting roll:

[roll0]

which means i get 3 food

Spending an extra food to stay alive

Yarp
2010-01-28, 09:52 PM
Gasbags

Gasbags offer to trade with Party Boyz. -1 CRU from Gasbags in exchange for 1 of their food.

No "roleplay" post for me right now, but Chief Foxtrot seek an agreement on alliance terms between Gasbags and Redcrows.

Kuma Da
2010-01-28, 11:19 PM
Redcrows

No RP from me either until my hand muscles recover enough for it not to be painful, but alliance accepted with Gasbags. Also extended to include Bloodspears.

storyteller
2010-01-29, 02:48 AM
Bloodspears

"So be it, together we are strong."

The Bloodspears accept the alliance offer.

"I think it would be good for us all if the members of our alliance stayed at the same fire every week. A guaranteed spot at the fire would ensure our survival."

The Bloodspears also use 2 food units this round to avoid rolling.

Crafting roll:
[roll0]

EDIT: The Bloodspears now have 6 CRU. I need two more to craft an awesome hammer. Offer: 1 wood and 1 food for 2 CRU.

Kuma Da
2010-01-29, 02:37 PM
Extending alliance to Firegazers.

Grim ranger
2010-01-29, 02:50 PM
Sureshots

Seeing that the family had enough food to survive through the freezing path, Old Gnarl ordered sureshots to focus on crafting yet again. They would need tools in the future, and the food supplies were plentiful enough. Besides, there would not be much hunting in this barren enviroment.

Crafting roll: [roll0]

Sureshots, having secured much construction materials, create Awesome bow to help them in hunting.

They also sacrifice that extra food unit so that roll is not necessary.