PDA

View Full Version : Phonetic alphabet

KuReshtin
2010-01-12, 05:59 AM
Who in the playground knows the phonetic alphabet of their native language (since there are different ones for different countries)?

The reason I'm asking is that I work for a tech support desk where we need to gather type and serial numbers from our customers to get warranty information and stuff about their machines, and a lot of the time, the phone lines are bad, and there are customers with weird dialects (of course it doesn't help that I cover Norway, while being Swedish), and to get the correct information we often try to get the customer to spell out the serial numbers, or if we don't quite get their company name or street address or their own name, if it's a bit out of the ordinary.

And an astonishing amount of times, when trying to get the customer to spell it out phonetically, they just say the letter again, raising their voicem instead of using the phonetic alphabet. Or they get stuck on a letter and end up using something completely random.

No need to start listing the phonetic alphabet, just, do you know it or not?

Zeb The Troll
2010-01-12, 06:03 AM
Aye, I do. I learned the military phonetic alphabet when I first enlisted. Law enforcement here uses a different one, though, and I'm not as familiar with that one, even though I work at a law enforcement agency. I should probably remedy that.

hamishspence
2010-01-12, 06:04 AM
Is it different from the radio letter list- each letter represented with a fairly easy to hear word- Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, etc?

If its the same thing, I know the basic list- mostly from reading too many submarine books.

KuReshtin
2010-01-12, 06:09 AM
Is it different from the radio letter list- each letter represented with a fairly easy to hear word- Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, etc?

If its the same thing, I know the basic list- mostly from reading too many submarine books.

Phonetic Aplhabet is just that.
Assigning an easy-to-decipher word to represent each letter of the alphabet.

There are different ones for different languages.
For example, probably the most commonly heard one, that's used in movies and the like, is the Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, etc, whereas the Swedish one starts with Adam, Bertil, Caesar, David (only uses male names).

Kneenibble
2010-01-12, 06:36 AM
Yankee Alpha Sierra I do know it, I think this one's called the NATO version.

Learning it is probably the only good that came of those three months I worked at a telephone survey company when I was 18. Well, that, and the knowledge that only a job involving a deep fryer could be worse, which has given me a greater capacity for happiness at jobs ever since.

Zeb The Troll
2010-01-12, 06:41 AM
I wonder how many watchers of Dollhouse don't get the names of the dolls?

Nameless
2010-01-12, 06:43 AM
I know it in Hebrew. Yay useless language. :smalltongue:

Dallas-Dakota
2010-01-12, 06:44 AM
I have a mug with the phonetic alphabet.:smallcool:
And with flag meanings.

But I think we dutch just use the english one.

KuReshtin
2010-01-12, 09:57 AM

I.. uhhh.. Haven't watched Dollhouse.. All I know about it is that Eliza Dushku has the lead role or something.

Mauve Shirt
2010-01-12, 10:04 AM
Yeah I know that alphabet. My parents used to use it when they were trying to keep secrets from us.
There's a recent Facebook fad:
"India Foxtrot Yankee Oscar Uniform Charlie Alpha November Uniform November Delta Echo Romeo Sierra Tango Alpha November Delta Tango Hotel India Sierra, Charlie Oscar Papa Yankee Alpha November Delta Papa Alpha Sierra Tango Echo Oscar November Yankee Oscar Uniform Romeo Sierra Tango Alpha Tango Uniform Sierra"

KuReshtin
2010-01-12, 10:16 AM
Yeah I know that alphabet. My parents used to use it when they were trying to keep secrets from us.
"India Foxtrot Yankee Oscar Uniform Charlie Alpha November Uniform November Delta Echo Romeo Sierra Tango Alpha November Delta Tango Hotel India Sierra, Charlie Oscar Papa Yankee Alpha November Delta Papa Alpha Sierra Tango Echo Oscar November Yankee Oscar Uniform Romeo Sierra Tango Alpha Tango Uniform Sierra"

Is it bad that I can read that almost as quickly as if you'd have just writen the message out normally?

valadil
2010-01-12, 10:32 AM
I learned it for tech support too. We had the whole thing printed out on one of the monitors. I probably remember 1/4-1/3 of it these days.

RS14
2010-01-12, 10:37 AM
I mostly learned the NATO phonetic alphabet a year or so ago, just because I figured it might be useful. I could remember all but India, Kilo, and Victor quickly when trying to remember just now.

Ashen Lilies
2010-01-12, 10:37 AM
My second-but-really-should-be-my-first language's alphabet is taught using the phonetic alphabet. Mostly because about half of them are exactly the same as the other half, and the only difference is when you start sticking them in words and tones start kicking in. And that's not even going into archaic forms of various letters, which are never used, but is still part of the official alphabet taught on the off chance that it might appear in some old text somewhere.
So yeah, I think I know my phonetic alphabet. The first letter means chicken. :smallsmile:

My first language, is of course, English, and I know most of he phonetic language. I can remember about three-quarters off hand, and the rest come to me quick enough. Though sometimes I wonder whether I should be saying 'Queen' or 'Quebec'. :smalltongue: I learned more commonly used NATO(?) one, as well as the old RAF one off the Dangerous Book for Boys. Useful book.

KuReshtin
2010-01-12, 10:38 AM

Done. :smallbiggrin:

Cicciograna
2010-01-12, 10:46 AM
In Italian there is not a well defined phonetic alphabet; instead, we use well-known italian city names for phonetic spelling, and since for some letters there is more than one candidate, the alphabet is not well defined.

For example, my nick could be:

Cagliari, Imola, Cagliari, Cagliari, Imola, Olbia, Genova, Roma, Ascoli, Napoli, Ascoli,

as well as

Como, Isernia, Como, Como, Isernia, Orvieto, Genova, Roma, Ancona, Napoli, Ancona.

There are some cities that have the precedence: "N" is always "Napoli" and "G" is always "Genova", but, on the other side, letters belonging to the English alphabet cause some problems.

KuReshtin
2010-01-12, 10:50 AM
In my native Swedish, my nick would be:

Kalle Urban Rudolf Erik Sigurd Helge Tore Ivar Niklas

RabbitHoleLost
2010-01-12, 10:51 AM
I only know the American one, from my one-year stint in Army ROTC.

Archonic Energy
2010-01-12, 12:28 PM
yes.
and i hate people who mix and match with other words. like Pneumonia or Gnat

I only know the American one, from my one-year stint in Army ROTC.
there isn't an "American" one... it's NATO :smallamused:

Zeb The Troll
2010-01-12, 12:39 PM
there isn't an "American" one... it's NATO :smallamused:Unless you consider the aforementioned phonetic alphabet used by law enforcement agencies (http://www.police-scanner.info/glossary/phonetic_alphabet.htm) in the US. Though admittedly, the one taught in ROTC would be the NATO version.

Tirian
2010-01-12, 12:49 PM
I think that the American police version is far closer to what is in civilian use. When I'm spelling things over the phone, I'm all over "B as in boy" and "F as in Frank" because I assume that will be more familiar to whoever I'm talking to than the NATO alphabet. (I mean, Quebec? Really?)

Athaniar
2010-01-12, 12:55 PM
No, no idea here. However, what if we made our own GitP alphabet...

A
Belkar
Celia
Durkon
Elan
Fyron
Girard
Haley
Inkyrius
Julia
Kraagor
Lirian
Miko
Nale
O-Chul
P
Qarr
Roy
Sabine
Thog
U
Vaarsuvius
W
Xykon
Yik-Yik
Zz'dtri

Suggestions, please.

Zeb The Troll
2010-01-12, 01:07 PM

A
Belkar
Celia
Durkon
Elan
F
Girard
Haley
I
J
Kraagor
Lirian
Miko
Nale
O-Chul
P
Qarr
Roy
Sabine
Thog
U
Vaarsuvius
W
Xykon
Yik-Yik
Zz'dtri

Suggestions, please.Celia for "C". Still working on others.

KuReshtin
2010-01-12, 01:33 PM
Many moons ago, we made up our own phonetic alphabet, using household utensils and tools..
So, we had the likes of C for Cheese grater, K for Kitchen sink, L for Lawnmower, T for Toilet seat and so on...

Needless to say, we were bored that day.

randman22222
2010-01-12, 01:51 PM

A
Belkar
C
Durkon
Elan
F
Girard
Haley
I
J
Kraagor
Lirian
Miko
Nale
O-Chul
P
Qarr
Roy
Sabine
Thog
U
Vaarsuvius
W
Xykon
Yik-Yik
Zz'dtri

Suggestions, please.

How do you pronounce 'Zz'dtri'? :smalltongue:

Ikialev
2010-01-12, 02:54 PM
ʣʣ-diː-trɪ?

10stuff

Cobra_Ikari
2010-01-12, 03:18 PM
Celia for "C". Still working on others.

Hmm. What's Roy's little sister's name? I think it starts with J...

Nameless
2010-01-12, 03:21 PM
Hmm. What's Roy's little sister's name? I think it starts with J...

Junior! :D

Cicciograna
2010-01-12, 03:33 PM
F is Fyron.

I is Inkyrius.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-01-12, 03:35 PM
Junior! :D

No, it's Julia. There's one down. =P

Cicciograna
2010-01-12, 03:43 PM
W is Windstriker.

A could be Axe (Captain - I know, it's a stretch...).

P could be Pete (Eagle-Eye - another stretch...).

Axe - feel free to change
Belkar
Celia
Durkon
Elan
Fyron
Girard
Haley
Inkyrius
Julia
Kraagor
Lirian
Miko
Nale
O-Chul
Pete - feel free to change
Qarr
Roy
Sabine
Thog
U
Vaarsuvius
Windstriker
Xykon
Yik-Yik
Zz'dtri

Cobra_Ikari
2010-01-12, 03:53 PM
W is Windstriker.

A could be Axe (Captain - I know, it's a stretch...).

P could be Pete (Eagle-Eye - another stretch...).

Belkar
Celia
Durkon
Elan
Fyron
Girard
Haley
Inkyrius
Julia
Kraagor
Lirian
Miko
Nale
O-Chul
Pete - feel free to change
Qarr
Roy
Sabine
Thog
U
Vaarsuvius
Windstriker
Xykon
Yik-Yik
Zz'dtri

P could be Pompey (the half elf guy), if I remembered/spelled that correctly. I don't remember, who are Fyron and Inkyrius?

Cicciograna
2010-01-12, 03:56 PM
Master Fyron (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0110.html) was Eugene's master, killed by Xykon.

Inkyrius (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0642.html) is Vaarsuvius' partner.

And Pompey is definitely better than Pete.

And for A we could have Aarindarius too (Vaarsuvius' master), but we've seen him...twice?

Belkar
Celia
Durkon
Elan
Fyron
Girard
Haley
Inkyrius
Julia
Kraagor
Lirian
Miko
Nale
O-Chul
Pompey
Qarr
Roy
Sabine
Thog
U
Vaarsuvius
Windstriker
Xykon
Yik-Yik
Zz'dtri

Athaniar
2010-01-12, 04:45 PM
Aarindarius
Belkar
Celia
Durkon
Elan
Fyron
Girard
Haley
Inkyrius
Julia
Kraagor
Lirian
Miko
Nale
O-Chul
Pompey
Qarr
Roy
Sabine
Thog
U
Vaarsuvius
Windstriker
Xykon
Yik-Yik
Zz'dtri

Now all we (well, I) need is U.

SDF
2010-01-12, 05:41 PM
Yeah, you are supposed to know the standard phonetic alphabet to be able to transmit on ham radio. The FCC doesn't like it when you make up your own.

Zeb The Troll
2010-01-13, 01:08 AM
Yeah, you are supposed to know the standard phonetic alphabet to be able to transmit on ham radio. The FCC doesn't like it when you make up your own.Do you ham? I've never actually known anyone who did. I've only seen it in movies.

Dragonrider
2010-01-13, 01:47 AM

Yeah, I got them. But I always wondered . . . what if they ended up with more than twenty-six dolls? Do they recycle names?

And what do they do in all the other houses? I remembered Bennett's house having a Cassandra, I think . . . maybe they choose other themes.

Zeb The Troll
2010-01-13, 02:05 AM
Yeah, I got them. But I always wondered . . . what if they ended up with more than twenty-six dolls? Do they recycle names?Didn't they find "a new Sierra" in one of the earlier episodes? I may be misremembering this.

And what do they do in all the other houses? I remembered Bennett's house ***static***la la la laaaaaaaaaaa...
Due to a DVR mishap, I haven't seen the DC episode yet. :smallcool:

SDF
2010-01-13, 05:25 AM
Do you ham? I've never actually known anyone who did. I've only seen it in movies.

Yeah, I'm pretty new to it actually. But, it is way fun. A good hobby, and makes you really useful in emergencies. During hurricane Katrina hams helped coordinate a lot of rescue efforts, just regular volunteers that knew how. Pretty easy to get licensed, and the only real investment is the radio.

tcrudisi
2010-01-13, 06:20 AM
At one point I knew the standard phonetic alphabet for my country, but no more. I worked as a tech support for an internet company and they gave it to us to use when we could not understand the customers. After a while I memorized it. After a while of leaving the job, I forgot it. Go figure.

Archonic Energy
2010-01-13, 06:23 AM
Unless you consider the aforementioned phonetic alphabet used by law enforcement agencies (http://www.police-scanner.info/glossary/phonetic_alphabet.htm) in the US. Though admittedly, the one taught in ROTC would be the NATO version.

so... Fire uses NATO but the Law enforcement use a different phonetic alphabet?!

isn't the whole point to minimize confusion?

Dragonrider
2010-01-13, 11:36 AM
Didn't they find "a new Sierra" in one of the earlier episodes? I may be misremembering this.

Oh, now that you mention it, I think you're right! *our* Sierra is the "new" one, I believe.

la la la laaaaaaaaaaa...
Due to a DVR mishap, I haven't seen the DC episode yet. :smallcool:

Eeee! Sorry, then. I purposefully attempted to phrase it ambiguously, and I gave absolutely nothing away, but my apologies. :smalltongue:

Tirian
2010-01-13, 11:56 AM
so... Fire uses NATO but the Law enforcement use a different phonetic alphabet?!

*shrug* It is now, but in the olden days everyone had their own radio frequencies, and there wasn't much thought that police and fire would be on the same band. Or even police from two different jurisdictions working together, since nearly every department puts its own twist on the "ten-codes". Of course, several major events in the United States over the past decade have illustrated the need for reform, but institutions can be slow to change.

Zeb The Troll
2010-01-14, 01:18 AM
Oh, now that you mention it, I think you're right! *our* Sierra is the "new" one, I believe.That was my thought, but I admit to being a bit behind on the show, obviously, so the details aren't fresh in my mind.

Eeee! Sorry, then. I purposefully attempted to phrase it ambiguously, and I gave absolutely nothing away, but my apologies. :smalltongue:No biggie. I've seen the episode that follows it (this was how we discovered we were missing an episode) so I already knew what minimal information you shared anyway. :smallcool:

[/derail]

RS14
2010-01-14, 10:15 AM

It doesn't seem like it would cause that much trouble. If you're giving me a alphanumeric code, and I hear "Frank," it's going to be obvious that you mean F, and likewise you'll probably understand "Foxtrot" when I say it back.

Philistine
2010-01-14, 09:53 PM
It doesn't seem like it would cause that much trouble. If you're giving me a alphanumeric code, and I hear "Frank," it's going to be obvious that you mean F, and likewise you'll probably understand "Foxtrot" when I say it back.

In that case, I bet you'd be surprised how many people hear "Foxtrot" and ask, "So is that an 'F' followed by a 'T'?" :smallamused:
____

Re: Dollhouse, we've seen a couple of examples of the LA house re-using designations. Priya was "the new Sierra" when she came in, and Topher programmed "the old Whiskey" (implying there's now a new one) to be the new "Dr. Saunders" after Alpha attacked her, and I think one or two others have at least been mentioned in passing as well. Oh, and the DC Dollhouse apparently uses names from Greek mythology, based on the two or three who've been named on screen. Finally, Zeb - Hulu will be your friend if you let it. :smallbiggrin:

Zeb The Troll
2010-01-15, 12:21 AM
Finally, Zeb - Hulu will be your friend if you let it. :smallbiggrin:Hu...lu...? *goes to look this up*

EDIT: Blah. Hulu goes back exactly as far as the network site does, which is to say, only as far back as the episodes I already have on DVR. I need(ed) the two episodes previous (Ep 5 and Ep 6). My daughter found them online somewhere and downloaded them for me, so now I've seen them. Now to find the time to catch up on Ep's 7-12.

KuReshtin
2010-01-15, 03:40 AM
In that case, I bet you'd be surprised how many people hear "Foxtrot" and ask, "So is that an 'F' followed by a 'T'?" :smallamused:

That's usually because those people are idiots, though.
Same as the people who hear "In the search-box, you need to type 'F' for Foxtrot, 'T' for Tango and 'P' for Papa..." and they start typing "F-f-o-r-f-o-x-t-r-o-t-T-f-o-r-T-a-n-g-o-....."

Ranna
2010-01-17, 05:28 PM
oh i have to use the phonetic alphabet quite a bit in my job too and most of the time it goes fine but every now and then you get given a letter like Q which in english is rarely used so it goes something like,

Papa Romeo 8, 2 .....err.... Q...for, errr... Queue? *cringe*.... November...

Or I throw a really random one in there like K for.. er Knickers (P.S silent letters, not good for phonetic alphabet :smallannoyed:)

skywalker
2010-01-17, 05:32 PM
oh i have to use the phonetic alphabet quite a bit in my job too and most of the time it goes fine but every now and then you get given a letter like Q which in english is rarely used so it goes something like,

Papa Romeo 8, 2 .....err.... Q...for, errr... Queue? *cringe*.... November...

Or I throw a really random one in there like K for.. er Knickers (P.S silent letters, not good for phonetic alphabet :smallannoyed:)

Which is why there's a standard list of words to begin with... You're using random phonetics, not really the phonetic alphabet...

Cobra_Ikari
2010-01-18, 11:37 PM
I used the phonetic alphabet this weekend, to give a friend of mine some mutual friends' PSN accounts, so we could all play online together. It made me happy. =3

Yay, somewhat-useful-knowledge-I-rarely-get-to-apply!