PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Search - Always 30 seconds

Totally Guy
2010-01-12, 06:27 AM
Specifically when I try to find more posts by this user, I always get the "Please wait 30 seconds" message.

Edit: It worked for me just now.

NerfTW
2010-01-12, 12:43 PM
If you are not logged in, and log in on the page saying you need to be logged in to search, don't click on the "Click here to continue" link that appears after, as it will send a second request, giving you the "please wait 30 seconds" message. Wait for it to redirect normally.

PhoeKun
2010-01-12, 01:49 PM
Have you ever noticed how "thirty seconds from now" is always thirty seconds away?

It's because you got stuck in the present. Welcome back to the future!

Je dit Viola
2010-01-12, 07:15 PM
Maybe you double-clicked the 'search' button? That's what I accidentally did a lot (I'm on a laptop), back when you had to wait 120 seconds between searches.

But it's working fine for you now, that's good.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-01-12, 09:09 PM
What is the purpose of this restriction? Health-of-the-server, I presume, but I'm not completely sure.

Zeb The Troll
2010-01-13, 01:29 AM
What is the purpose of this restriction? Health-of-the-server, I presume, but I'm not completely sure.Yep, that's it. I can only presume that the reduction from 120 seconds to 30 seconds is us getting something back for the new server not having crumpled on us, like the old one did, since it was set up.

*subtly petitions for multiquote*

:smallcool:

Another_Poet
2010-01-13, 03:29 AM
*subtly petitions for multiquote*
:smallcool:

And a button for spoiler tags...

Zherog
2010-01-13, 06:15 PM

That was never missing because of server load. It's missing due to a lack of time on Raw's part.

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-01-13, 11:36 PM
That was never missing because of server load. It's missing due to a lack of time on Raw's part.And an inability to find an image for the button that isn't easily confused with strikethrough.

Serpentine
2010-01-14, 12:54 AM
How about a little Darth Vader head button?

Athaniar
2010-01-14, 05:01 AM
I suggest a green S.

Mercenary Pen
2010-01-14, 05:17 AM
Maybe an "Sp" would minimize ambiguity, although they haven't used an "s" for the strikethrough button.

Totally Guy
2010-01-14, 08:13 AM
If we had those little tick marks to remind us of the threads we'd posted in already I wouldn't have to search for my own posts so often.

Anyone remember them? They were good. Now it's always just a circle...

Zherog
2010-01-14, 12:54 PM

That likely has copyright/trademark issues. Or, at least, I would think it does.

Lappy9000
2010-01-17, 07:46 PM
And a button for spoiler tags...And candy.

On a serious note, I'm having the same issue regarding the search engine. I clearly need to fix my flux capacitor.

Siosilvar
2010-01-17, 09:29 PM
SNAPE KILLS TRINITY WITH ROSEBUD.

Slightly less off-topic, appending "site:giantitp.com" to the end of a Google search generally gets pretty good results.

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-18, 11:15 AM
SNAPE KILLS TRINITY WITH ROSEBUD.

Slightly less off-topic, appending "site:giantitp.com" to the end of a Google search generally gets pretty good results.

I don't know if the forum search has been improved, but this is generally a very good option. Always seems to work better.

Sliver
2010-01-18, 01:58 PM
I have seen a lot of sites do stuff like "Search" and "Search (Google)" so you could either use the built in engine or search through google.. Would be a better option I believe :smalltongue:

Rockphed
2010-01-20, 02:17 AM
If we had those little tick marks to remind us of the threads we'd posted in already I wouldn't have to search for my own posts so often.

Anyone remember them? They were good. Now it's always just a circle...

Isn't there an auto subscribe to threads you post in option somewhere? Not that I have looked at my subscribed threads since the "Things I'm not allowed to do while gaming" thread finally got locked. That thread was boss. *sigh*

Sliver
2010-01-20, 03:23 AM
Isn't there an auto subscribe to threads you post in option somewhere? Not that I have looked at my subscribed threads since the "Things I'm not allowed to do while gaming" thread finally got locked. That thread was boss. *sigh*

Yes, you can set in the options an auto-subscribe (without mail notifications even, just so it will be saved in the subscription tab) but is that really the most convenient thing?

Zeb The Troll
2010-01-20, 05:54 AM
Yes, you can set in the options an auto-subscribe (without mail notifications even, just so it will be saved in the subscription tab) but is that really the most convenient thing?I find it quite convenient. It even gives me the option to opt out of subscribing to a thread I'm posting in if I desire. It also helps me keep track of inactive threads I've posted in because I can just click on "List Subscriptions" and see them all. Verah handeh. :smallcool:

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-01-20, 08:12 AM
Yes, you can set in the options an auto-subscribe (without mail notifications even, just so it will be saved in the subscription tab) but is that really the most convenient thing?
Let’s find out. I think our current options for finding posts we’ve made are:

Using thread subscriptions.
Sifting through forum search results
Sifting through Google search results
Remembering on our own what posts we’ve made
Recording the posts we’ve made independently (such as copying and pasting to a document on our computer)

Order those by what you find convenient. Then you’ll know which is the most convenient thing, which is the least convenient thing, and which are in the middle.

Ranger Mattos
2010-01-28, 07:00 PM

I'm new, how do you normally make spoilers anyways?:smallconfused:

EDIT: Thanks

Sanguine
2010-01-28, 07:07 PM
I'm new, how do you normally make spoilers anyways?:smallconfused:

You type this
Whatever it is that you want in the spoiler