PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian Chaos (group 2)

TheOneTrueGod
2010-01-12, 02:42 PM
Original Thread:
Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138254)

Since the group has been split, I figure that it's best if there are two threads for it.

This is the thread for the Cleric and the Paladin.

This thread will start up as soon as the others have registered accounts on here.

TheOneTrueGod
2010-01-21, 07:20 PM
(I assume that you two have leveled up from the training you received.)

Your training takes place in a featureless building. Two Githyanki take you to the centre and spar with you, over and over again until you are ready to drop. Throughout the time with them, you very rarely manage to land even a hit, but you can feel yourself improving.

After you have spent what felt like weeks undergoing grueling training with the Githyanki, Alaz, the one that you met while still on the material plane, approaches you. He looks as though he has fully recovered from his wounds.

Alaz:I assume your training has been going well. he says, without a greeting. Your time here has about come to an end. Come with me.

He turns away, evidently expecting you to follow and begins walking out the door, towards a larger building. The buildings here are all built semi-spherically, but this one is different. It is large and ornamented, and is clearly of great importance. Inside there are four highly decorated warriors, each with a wicked looking silver longsword (the likes of which you have seen before). In the centre of the building, meditating on a mat, is an extremely beautiful female Githyanki. As you approach she opens her eyes.

Gish: Hello. We have heard much of what has happened to you and your world. We normally do not interfere with what happens, but extraordinary times call for extraordinary measures. You have been brought here in order to help train you to better handle the threat that is coming. after a short pause, No, the true threat has only just begun. We are going to send you back soon, however, first we must impart upon you some information. She beckons to Iraya, asking that she come closer.

shdwfeather
2010-01-21, 07:53 PM
((I prefer writing in past-tense third person. Hope that's cool.))

Iraya followed Alaz with a faint sigh. Since she encountered these strange beings, her life was wrested from her grip and bound by some trick of fate. Although she relished the chance to discover the details of a past incarnation, she could not help but feel that the experience could have been more... scholarly in fashion.

The deva's meandering thoughts halted and focused when she entered the building. Her pale eyes discreetly flicked towards the glittering swords of the warriors; was she and her companion truly immune to its powers? Ah, but the other one was talking. Iraya listened with interest, partly excited at the chance to do good and partly dismayed at feeling fate's talons sinking in deeper.

"Information is always welcome," she finally replied wryly and approached the woman with graceful strides.

TheOneTrueGod
2010-01-21, 10:08 PM
Gish stands up, and you can see her wiry frame behind her robes. She reaches out a hand and puts it on your forehead. Her eyes glow briefly, and then, for what seems like the hundredth time in the past few weeks, you black out briefly.

Visions pass before your eyes of places strewn throughout the world. Places that you have never been before, but that feel like home. The visions take you on a journey, then quickly switch to another location without any warning.
The first takes you through an arctic wasteland, to a large tower, to an icy tomb buried far underneath it. Inside this tomb is a small fist-sized glowing orb on a pedestal. You feel warm and happy upon seeing it there.
The next is a path that cannot be seen through a desert, ending eventually at a dried out oasis. In the center of this oasis is another pedestal, this time with no such orb. The place feels dead and lonely.
After that, you are taken through a huge swamp, into a black dragons lair. Inside this lair is another such pedestal. This orb is also missing, and again feels dead and alone.
The next takes you atop a huge mountain, with a towering metal citadel on top. Inside this citadel is another pedestal which is also missing it's orb.
The last path remains hidden to you, but you see the pedestal with a bright white orb on top of it. Again, you feel joy upon seeing it safe.

A few moments later, your vision returns to normal, and Gish is back to sitting down, her hand withdrawn. You realize that these are the locations of the orbs you were tasked to guard.

Gish:You now know as much as I do about the orbs... It is imperative that you recover them before the others are removed. It is time that you left here. Before you go, however, I have two things to give you two. First of all, Iraya, take this stone. She reaches down and picks up a small, palm-sized rock off of the ground that you could have sworn wasn't there before. Do not let it leave your posession. If you concentrate on one of the locations I have shown you and on anyone around you that you want to bring with you while holding this rock, you will be brought there. She hands you the rock. As for you, Zax, I will impart upon you this request: Don't let any harm come to Iraya. She is far more important than you can imagine. She reaches into her pocket and pulls out two amulets.
As long as you two are wearing these amulets, you will share your health. They will not work for anyone but you. Please use them wisely.

OOC: Iraya can now teleport to one of the 5 pedestal locations once per 3 days. It takes 5 full rounds to activate. As long as both of you are wearing the amulets, half of the damage either of you recieve will go to the other of you two. This does not affect healing.

TheOneTrueGod
2010-01-21, 10:10 PM
Gish:Is there anything else you would like to know before you leave?

OOC: When you leave, you can be sent to the nearest major landmark on the material plane. Let me know where you want to be taken.

Just_Ice
2010-01-22, 07:16 PM
(OoC: I'll fill in as your friendly neighbourhood Dragonborn Paladin.)

Still tired from the training, Zack nodded in dull agreement with what was requested of him, making a subtle gesture of honour. "Until the day my queen sayeth her time has come, I will not let her die; of that you may rest assured". The massive dragonborn cleared his parched throat, "Yet, I do not believe in altruism; since thou hast offered us answers, tell us what thy stake is in this matter. It is difficult to swallow that beings of the astral planes care much for the protection of hidden orbs; what fate should befall us all if they are lost?"

Satisfied he'd made his point, the paladin simply nodded at his companion and watched the blemishless githyanki for any sort of reaction. It would be unwise to irk the wrath of these allies, but he felt that he would be entitled to such information.

(OoC: If that required a diplomacy check, I rolled a natural one. Off to a great start.)

shdwfeather
2010-01-22, 08:24 PM
((Cool, nice to meet you. You're a much better person than Nathan.))

Iraya caught herself before she staggered off-balance from the brief period of unconsciousness. Her delicate fingers rose to press against her temple while the deva contemplated all that she had seen. The amulet hung loosely from her other hand, which was clenched in a tight fist around the stone. Numb, she listened to the rest of the githyanki's words, nodding absently.

She was startled out of her reverie when the harsh syllables of her companion rung out in the hall. Her gaze flitted in annoyance at his distrust, but Iraya recovered quickly and added to the demand smoothly.

"Yes, it would be of immeasurable help to know what we are seeking to foil."

TheOneTrueGod
2010-01-23, 02:53 PM
((Welcome to the group. Use the online forum rolling. It's like so: 1d20+5, which will generate [roll1]. No spaces are allowed between the 20 and the + and the 5. Oh, and don't preview a post with a roll tag in it. It doesn't work for some reason.))

A flicker of annoyance crosses her face at your crude attempt at gaining information, but she answers anyway.
Gish: The nature of the threat is far more sinister than a simple barbarian invasion. A demon, the likes of which I know not, seeks to exploit the orb's current state of removal to create portals from the abyss. If he is successful, your world will be consumed entirely by hordes of demons and elementals, the numbers of which you wouldn't even be able to imagine. We have been around a very, very long time, and we would not want to see it end like that.

Just_Ice
2010-01-26, 11:20 PM
Zack followed the githyanki beauty's response with mild apathy; judging by her tone, she wasn't going to spill any secrets if she had any. He furrowed his brow at the mention of the orbs relating to the elemental surges, but kept silent for the rest of the explanation; he had nothing left to say to Gish and doubted they'd cross paths again in this life.

He had suspected the orbs to be related to the elementals, but this affirmation lifted the burden of a more complex situation from his shoulders; protect the orbs and he would solve the elemental problem. Then, he realized something. His usual steady speech was slightly more hurried than usual as he confided his recollection in an aside to his companion.

"The purple-haired harlot...", he spat, "It seems the orbs and the unrest may be part of the same problem. Make haste, Iraya: unless thou hath more questions, we should return from this world. If the enemy feareth not cold nor desert nor even dragons, then we are ill-equipped to defend anything. I suggest we attempt to end the war; we will need manpower to defend three orbs at once and still recover the other orbs. I suspect by finding who pulled the strings of the conflict, we shall find who lusts for the orbs."

By the end of his whisperings, he had entirely regained his composure. He simply nodded a goodbye to the astral gifter and lumbered outside the room, awaiting Iraya's departure.

shdwfeather
2010-02-01, 12:58 AM
The revelation disturbed Iraya. In a sense, she was responsible for the fate of the world--or at least, it was the responsibility of a previous incarnation of herself. Although this was a chance for her to great good (as she has always sought to do), the stakes were too much. At heart, the deva was a historian, a scholar, and presently, she was feeling rather bitter at fate.

However, the deva kept her pleasant demeanor and inclined her head gratefully towards the strange female. When Zack referred to Aurora as a "purple-haired harlot", Iraya winced involuntarily. If the visions she had in the temple were accurate, she was a friend, once. In any case, she let the dragonborn leave with a brief nod of assent. There was no reason to complicate things now.

Turning back towards the githyanki, she spoke with her palms open in a gesture of entreaty.

"Do you have any advice on where we should begin?"

((I didn't forget about this forum, I swear I didn't. <_<))

TheOneTrueGod
2010-02-01, 02:28 PM
Gish: "Many paths lay before you. I could not say which is best. When you were first brought here, there was a great disturbance in the area nearby. That could be worth investigating. Also, as your companion said, you will need allies. We find that old friends are the best, and so it may be worth trying to find your old companions. Finally, the biggest task before you is that of finding the two missing orbs, and of ensuring the safekeeping of the two safe orbs."

She sighs, and looks a little saddened as her last sentence comes out;
"You already know where the fire orb lies -- I recommend that you leave that one to last. Aurora has used its power to become incredibly powerful, and getting yourself killed does not benefit anything.

Do you wish your journey to begin at the town known as 'Albington'?"

shdwfeather
2010-02-01, 08:34 PM
Aurora.

Unwilling to dwell on that uncomfortable thought, Iraya sighed and forcefully pushed the name away. Her chainmail clinked softly as the deva lifted her shoulders in a helpless gesture, a wry smile on her lips.

"I suppose that Albington is good as any. That is where we last parted with our friends."

TheOneTrueGod
2010-02-02, 02:11 PM
Gish: "Then we shall take our leave of each other here. I hope we never have to see each other again. Farewell, and good luck.

@Zack
As you walk away, you hear the two behind you exchange a sentence or two, and then Iraya follows you.

As you cross the threshold leading you out of the room, you blink for a moment, and when you open your eyes again, you are standing in a field. Looking around for a moment, you realize you are in the field around Albington... except you can't find Albington. There's just some smoking ruins where it should be.
And,
If you make a DC 12 Arcana check
You detect the residue of a spell a few hundred feet away. This spell is more powerful than any you've ever seen before.

((For reference, Zack is not trained in Arcana. Arcana uses Int.))

shdwfeather
2010-02-02, 08:37 PM
[roll0]

((Making ze arcana check before I make my post. :D))

shdwfeather
2010-02-02, 09:02 PM
((Oh wow, natural 1. My rolls on the forums are off to a great start.))

Iraya inhaled sharply in surprise at the ruins of the once-beautiful city. Her wide, pale eyes reflected only desolation and the air she breathed in tasted like ash and death as it curdled on her tongue.

"I cannot believe this," the deva murmured, shaken. "The entire city..."

As she took a faltering step towards the ruins, dust motes rose to caress the cleric's ankles before fading away in the gentle breeze. Her face creasing with grief, Iraya bowed her head, overcome with emotion. With her sight lowered, the cleric then shifted her hands to cradle the gleaming silver image of her patron deity and she uttered a prayer to Bahamut for the lost souls of Albington.

When the deva raised her head again, her expression was composed once more, though when she spoke, her muted cadence betrayed her inner turmoil.

"So, Zack. What shall we do? I am personally inclined towards searching the city. Our friends..."

She faltered briefly before continuing on in a lighter tone.

"We may find traces of their passing. I know the thief at least would not pass by a ruin like this without his fingers itching for treasure."

Just_Ice
2010-02-06, 10:36 PM
OoC: Haha, nice. Sorry about the delay; both of my computers crapped out on me two days ago and it's been just a fun time since.
----------------------

Although his mind was racing to understand the blank of familiar scenery, Zack was largely unmoved by Albington's demise. All things that begin must end, and so it is with cities. He fully intended, however, to show whoever was responsible for this destruction that such a rule also applied to them. As he watched Iraya's apparent sorrow, he compared it to his own past. It felt like watching his own mother's lamentation of the great plague.

"This is as good a place as any to start looking," he detachedly agreed. "I don't expect to find our friends, but if it's barbarians we'll know where they're going and if it's elementals we'll know where they came from." He reasoned that information would be the most valuable resource they could obtain after returning from such an extended leave.

shdwfeather
2010-02-06, 11:33 PM
((Pssst! Do an arcana check to see if Zack notices the ginormous magical spell that went off. ;)))

TheOneTrueGod
2010-02-08, 02:00 PM
As you make your way into the city, you are met only with destruction. Most of the houses have been crushed by giant rocks, and as you approach them, they still radiate heat. The palace seems to have taken even more punishment than the rest of the town. It has been completely decimated by the rocks, and there are still a few fires spread around the rubble.

The only thing that you are met with here is destruction.

It is then that you realize what has been bugging youy for a little while -- There are no corpses. Anywhere. When you were here a day and a half ago, there was a battle with half a million participants, and now there isn't even a single body to commemorate it.

((You are currently standing around the middle of town, about 50 feet from the foot of the castle.))

shdwfeather
2010-02-08, 11:41 PM
Noticing the absence of corpses, the deva frowned and murmured.

"Well, no bodies. That is most strange."

Hovering a hand over the still-warm pieces of rubble, Iraya glanced towards Zack.

"Could have been something from the fire elemental plane. Do you sense any strong magic in the area?"

Tilting her head towards the castle, the deva shifted her footsteps towards it, trying to discern objects of interest.

shdwfeather
2010-02-08, 11:49 PM
((Oh here's a perception check just in case.))

[roll0]

TheOneTrueGod
2010-02-09, 02:24 PM
No tilting of your head is required -- The castle is, at this point, not much taller than you are. It's been pummeled mercilessly by the rocks to the point where it's not really discernible as a castle anymore.

((You know it's where the castle's location was, and that's the easiest way to identify it as the castle.))

However, as you are looking at the castle, you notice something shiny on the ground...

Taking a closer look, it is a ring. And it is sufficiently badass.

Just_Ice
2010-02-10, 03:42 PM
OoC: I don't know my Religion skill. Sorry for delays.
Also, it seems Zack is pretty oblivious when it comes to spells.

Iraya was right; for all the destruction there was, there was a lacking element of death. Zack merely nodded in agreement, and decided to pray for wisdom from the Eternal Queen. Before he could close his eyes, his savvy companion had noticed something else, something otherworldly.

"Now that thou should mention it..." He said, concentrating on discovering whatever supernatural force was nearby,

[roll0]

"Not as such".

As the sapphire-skinned healer investigated the rubble of the keep, the plated patron of death instead turned his efforts towards a higher power. Kneeling, he spoke a short verse.

"O, Queen of Fate, whose hand collecteth we who rest," he chanted, "Let me glimpse at the threads severed here since my absence; so that I may see how they were cut, and with that sight serve thee until my end, amen".

[roll1]

Zack arose, Dusting off the heraldry of his armoured greaves. He did not expect Her Majesty, labouring with the surge of the vengeful souls of war, to answer but the most heartfelt prayers immediately; in the meantime, he would make up for his mediocre offering and ease Her burden with his actions rather than his words.

"Take anything useful," he instructed. Walking off, he searched a nearby boulder to determine whether it was used by man, or by beast.

Just_Ice
2010-02-10, 04:30 PM
(OoC): Since you can't edit in rolls you forgot you were gonna make:

[roll0]

TheOneTrueGod
2010-02-11, 05:34 PM
A reply comes almost immediately from your queen, in the form of a vision.
You see thousands upon thousands of whispy figures moving around, a raven moving towards them and then, all of a sudden, they are all snatched violently away from the raven. The whispy figures move in a torrent towards a fire, and are consumed by it, with the fire growing larger.

From there, the vision ends.

Looking at the boulders, you are able to identify two things about them.

First of all, they are far too numerous, and some of them too big, to have been flung here by some sort of mechanical device. Especially not with an army of devices that size remaining unseen.

Second of all, none of them bear the markings of a beast having carried them.

shdwfeather
2010-02-11, 05:43 PM
((Wut. GITP's notification system isn't very reliable, it seems. :( Reply coming soon, sorry.))

TheOneTrueGod
2010-02-12, 11:25 PM
Everyone make a perception check.

shdwfeather
2010-02-12, 11:40 PM
When a twinkle on the ground caught her eye, Iraya stooped to pick up the ring. It was... familiar. After a moment of concentrated staring, a piece clicked into her recollection and she gasped.

"Zack, I believe I have just found a trace of our companions!"

Nimbly avoiding the larger chunks of rocks, she hurriedly returned to Zack's side, brandishing the shiny ring.

"This is the Wanderer's ring, is it not?"

((Woohoo! Perception check time! :O

[roll0]

Oh, btw, Zack should have at least a +3 mod to Arcana checks, him being level 6 and all.))

TheOneTrueGod
2010-02-12, 11:46 PM
As you are rushing towards Zack, you spot movement over his shoulder. There is a group of four humanoids standing outside of the city.

The only details you can make out from here is that three of them are the same height with the last one being taller, and two of them are wearing robes.

All of a sudden, they turn and start walking towards the city.

shdwfeather
2010-02-20, 04:06 PM
When the movement caught her eye, Iraya tensed.

"Zack, it appears that we have company."

She squinted, but all she could make out was that they appeared to be humanoid. The deva clicked her tongue, and continued, sounding somewhat consternated.

"At least they don't seem to be fire elementals. Perhaps they are locals who can tell us what happened to this place."

Just_Ice
2010-02-20, 07:18 PM
[roll0]

Looking where his companion had pointed, the towering paladin was unable to spot anything or anyone of interest. Unamused, he rationalizes that his companion is under a great deal of stress from the whole ordeal.

"Perhaps thine eyes deceive you."

TheOneTrueGod
2010-02-20, 07:26 PM
To Yubin

The group of them runs in and ducks behind the rubble of a building. You lose sight of them amongst the smoke and ruins.

shdwfeather
2010-02-24, 11:10 PM
Iraya raised a hand to shield the sunlight from her eyes. The figures were definitely still there--well, until they moved behind a mound of rubble.

"No, I am sure of it. Four of them, over there." She gestured towards the direction.

When she did not see them emerging on the other side, her lips twisted in a wry smile.

"And now they are hiding. Perhaps they spotted us and thought us hostile. I shall go investigate."

Picking her way around the rubble, the cleric cautiously approached the direction she last spotted movement from, calling out in a softly. "Hello?"

TheOneTrueGod
2010-02-25, 02:25 PM
As you get closer, you can make out who they are. One is a tall menacing figure that you don't recognize, one is Lord Lightbrooke, and one is Jim Darkmagic.

((I'm sending the other group over here.))

TheOneTrueGod
2010-02-25, 02:26 PM
((From the other thread))

Iraya!? Where in the name of all the gods have you been?

TheOneTrueGod
2010-02-28, 02:00 AM
Faerinaal:"I don't meant to cut your reunion short, but look... over there."

As you follow his gaze to the area outside of town that the feywild portal linked up to, you notice something. A slight shimmer. All of a sudden, it appears as though a hole is being ripped through the air. Blood stained vines begin ripping their way through this hole, and rapidly spread out and around the area.

ThorThurn
2010-03-04, 09:03 AM
Great! The damned things followed us back from the Feywild. I'm very seriously considering updating my opinion of that place from "Faerie Paradise" to "Torturous Wasteland".

Well, what are you idiots waiting for? Either start killing or start running!

Just_Ice
2010-03-06, 10:34 PM
Fearing the worst from the mysterious travelers, Zach glowered at imaginary stakeholders and followed his companion. His doubts were unfounded however, as the familiar sight of his allies lay ahead of him. Before he could find the opportunity to question the identities of their other associate, or even give an uncharacteristic greeting, they had already been befallen by a new threat. A door to some twisted nether had interrupted any moments of joy, its spiked tendrils snaking towards them menacingly.

Ignoring his ally's mutterings and furious commands, he immediately launched into the fray. His eyes dilated, his breathing quickened, and his normally cold gaze contorted into a terrible smile. The sound that escaped his wide reptilian lips unsettled the blood as he hefted his terrible axe and rushed the malignant feelers.

shdwfeather
2010-03-15, 07:26 PM
((Right! This!))

"Jim!" Iraya exclaimed in surprise as the figure became recognizable at last.

"I? 'Tis a long story, but--"

Here, she was interrupted by the stranger, and when she glanced at the point of his attention, she gritted her teeth. Whatever the plant-things were, they did not look terribly friendly. Turning to face the new menace, she readied herself against the onslaught of thirsty-looking vines.

((Whee initiative! [roll0]))