PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Invoker: Malediction of Rigidity

Lyth
2010-01-12, 04:54 PM
So...big battle over, party advances to level 9. While we're all picking out our new dailies, my BF starts dropping his jaw over a daily that he found for his Malediction Invoker:

Malediction of Rigidity Invoker Attack 9
Daily* Divine, Fear, Implement
Minor Action Close blast 5
Target: Each creature in blast
Attack: Wisdom vs Will
Hit: 1d8 + Wisdom modifier damage. The target takes ongoing 10 damage and is immobilized (save ends both)
Miss: Half damage. The target takes ongoing 5 damage and is slowed (save ends both)
Covenant of Malediction: The target takes a -2 penalty to saving throws against these effects.
Effect: You are immobilized until the end of your next turn.

Now, this is the first time any of our group has played an Invoker, so we're not all completely familiar with the class....however, this seems a wee bit over powered. A minor action to do all that?

We checked, and couldn't find anything on this power - it's not a typo, as far as we can tell, has never been errata'ed, and we can't seem to find any one talking about it - good or bad. Our DM is officially house ruling it as a standard, because he can't find a good reason for it to stay a minor.

I figured the biggest group of D&D nerds I know of might be able to shed some light on the situation :)

Sipex
2010-01-12, 04:57 PM
I think it was probably placed at a minor action because of it's low intial damage output and the sefl immobilization thing.

Plus, it's just a daily, you use it once, minor action or not, and it's done.

How does it stack compared to others? I don't have my books.

FoE
2010-01-12, 05:01 PM
It IS a Daily, which (in theory) are supposed to be powerful. Unless your group abuses extended rests (and shame on you if you do), I don't see it as a huge problem.

Draz74
2010-01-12, 05:02 PM
Watch out for friendly fire.

Mando Knight
2010-01-12, 05:09 PM
Cerulean Flames is almost as good: Standard Action to blind everything (save ends) without an attack roll, and a Minor Action to keep the area blinding everything. Fourfold Invocation of Doom stops enemies in their tracks and hurts them for touching you. Visions of Paradise shuts off one enemy's offenses as long as you leave it alone.

Controllers are just like that. Wizards get a daily (Face of Death) at that level that rather than damaging the enemy, it immobilizes them regardless of hit or miss and follows up with helpless (save ends) if the attack hit and the enemy fails its first saving throw, and still slows the target after it saves against the immobilization. Taunting Phantoms causes enemies to hurt themselves. Summoning and Conjuration powers allow you to massively increase your damage output by attacking with the summon/conjuration power as a minor action and then again with a Standard action power.

Gametime
2010-01-12, 05:25 PM
The immobilization until the end of your next turn means that you'll miss out on (usually) one move action. You can burn it on other powers that require a move or minor action, but the added restriction to the way you spend your actions is not insignificant.

Not to say that the power isn't GOOD - just that it's more than simply a minor action.