PDA

View Full Version : Which is the best deal for DDI?

Ozreth
2010-01-12, 05:38 PM
So I'm considering subscribing to DDI but I am confused by the three deals. The one that says best value seems to be a cheaper monthly, but does it charge you for the whole year at once? Confused...

jmbrown
2010-01-12, 05:52 PM
The yearly subscription is cheaper overall but good buying sense dictates that you try something before committing. $70 isn't that much (to me at least) but I can list about 500 things I could spend that on instead.

Subscribe for a single month, determine if DDI is for you, then buy a yearly subscription. It's better than sinking your cash now and having a year of crap that you hate.

The J Pizzel
2010-01-12, 05:54 PM
Subscribe for a single month, determine if DDI is for you, then buy a yearly subscription. It's better than sinking your cash now and having a year of crap that you hate.

Truer words have never been said. Take heed to jmbrown's wisdom.
jP

Ozreth
2010-01-12, 05:55 PM
The yearly subscription is cheaper overall but good buying sense dictates that you try something before committing. $70 isn't that much (to me at least) but I can list about 500 things I could spend that on instead.

Gotcha. So the 10 dollar one charges you for one month while the other options charge for a year or so. Thanks!

Mando Knight
2010-01-12, 06:02 PM
If all you want is the Character Builder, then the $10 single month is the best deal, however if you want to keep your records up-to-date and fiddle with all the new books as they come out, then the yearly subscription is cheaper. The point at which the monthly subscription is cheaper than the yearly subscription is if you only update the thing every third month. That might be fine for you: just buy an update when they release a Dragon mag or splatbook that covers your favorite class or race or whatever and grab everything else before your subscription expires.

Really, I've got 19 months of Dragon and Dragon magazine sitting on my hard drive, as well as a well-done set of gaming aids that includes the raw crunch from over $400 worth of hardcover books. I saved more by switching to DDI for D&D material than I did by switching to used books for this semester's textbooks.

Ozreth
2010-01-12, 06:17 PM
If all you want is the Character Builder, then the $10 single month is the best deal, however if you want to keep your records up-to-date and fiddle with all the new books as they come out, then the yearly subscription is cheaper. The point at which the monthly subscription is cheaper than the yearly subscription is if you only update the thing every third month. That might be fine for you: just buy an update when they release a Dragon mag or splatbook that covers your favorite class or race or whatever and grab everything else before your subscription expires.

Really, I've got 19 months of Dragon and Dragon magazine sitting on my hard drive, as well as a well-done set of gaming aids that includes the raw crunch from over $400 worth of hardcover books. I saved more by switching to DDI for D&D material than I did by switching to used books for this semester's textbooks.

That sounds good. I do want everything that it has to offer every month, unfortunately I cannot drop 70 bucks at once right now on gaming.

If I get it for a month will I have access to EVERYTHING for that month? Basically I want try it out in all of its glory before dropping the 70, which I probably will do.

Mando Knight
2010-01-12, 06:23 PM
Everything. Or at least, as far as I know. When I purchased my subscription, I was able to purview the back issues of Dungeon & Dragon...

Shardan
2010-01-12, 06:25 PM
What alot of people do is buy the one month. get all the downloads, updates etc. then wait 4-6 months and do it again

20-30$ for the year.. just long spans between updates

Ozreth
2010-01-12, 06:34 PM
Everything. Or at least, as far as I know. When I purchased my subscription, I was able to purview the back issues of Dungeon & Dragon...

Cool, thanks!