PDA

View Full Version : what book is starmetal in?

Mystic Muse
2010-01-12, 06:01 PM
Okay, I KNOW this metal exists in some D&D supplement but I'm not sure which one. can anybody help me out?

jokey665
2010-01-12, 06:02 PM
Complete Arcane, page 141.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-12, 06:07 PM
thank you very much.

flabort
2010-01-12, 07:05 PM
WHHHAAAT??!?!?!!
I was expecting everyone to just say "doesn't exist, move allong".
Teaches me to asume somethings campaign specific...

Ashram
2010-01-12, 07:15 PM
It's a key component in the Green Star Adept prestige class. The only difference between Rich's starmetal and Wizards' starmetal is that Rich's deals extra damage to undead, whereas Wizards' deals extra damage to all outsiders.

deuxhero
2010-01-12, 07:17 PM
That and I'm not sure that The Giant has a horrible prc based around it.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-01-12, 07:34 PM
That and I'm not sure that The Giant has a horrible prc based around it.

Other than losing your Con score, the PrC isn't terribad in epic, where it's 15 CL in 10 levels. To be fair, this is epic we'd be talking about.

Starscream
2010-01-12, 07:37 PM
Other than losing your Con score, the PrC isn't terribad in epic

That's a big deal especially in epic. For some classes it will essentially cut your hp in half. The more HD you have, the more you lose.

Maybe if you were some sort of low-Con build to begin with, but it's not very likely. It's the one stat every class needs.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-01-12, 07:43 PM
That's a big deal especially in epic. For some classes it will essentially cut your hp in half. The more HD you have, the more you lose.

Maybe if you were some sort of low-Con build to begin with, but it's not very likely. It's the one stat every class needs.

Well, I would assume Necropolitan trickery would be involved so that you basically go "lolconwut" and ignore it from the get-go. Also, the construct provided immunities are nice. Still, I do loves me my Con, but, Fort saves can be replaced by 3k GP items.

herrhauptmann
2010-01-12, 07:52 PM
So why're you looking for starmetal?
Entrance to the Prestige class? Or because you want an adamant weapon, with extra bonuses?

Mystic Muse
2010-01-12, 08:04 PM
Because I want to make a Paladin with a deep abiding hate for Demons and devils and thought the extra 1d6 might work for the concept. I wasn't aware it had the properties of adamantine. I thought it was just an extra 1d6 against outsiders.

the 5,000 gold price tag hurts though. Especially when I don't have that much after all the other purchases.

deuxhero
2010-01-12, 08:21 PM
Holy Surge (DMGII, MIC, fixed cost, adds extra holy damage/day), Suppression (XPH/SRD, +2, attempt to dispell on hit, note that it hits magic and can use your caster level.) and magebane (+1, either CA or CM, bane on anything with arcane casting or a SLA (n9 outsiders), slightly less handy if you take the nerfed MIC version that only works on proper casters) are all good enchantments if you wanted to do that

taltamir
2010-01-12, 08:23 PM
Losing your con score is bad, but not nearly the worst thing about the class...

you need to be a full caster to qualify for the PrC, but you lose casting progression because of it. It is a terrible class.

Deth Muncher
2010-01-12, 08:24 PM
Because I want to make a Paladin with a deep abiding hate for Demons and devils and thought the extra 1d6 might work for the concept. I wasn't aware it had the properties of adamantine. I thought it was just an extra 1d6 against outsiders.

the 5,000 gold price tag hurts though. Especially when I don't have that much after all the other purchases.

Plus, you'll have Wannabe Constructs trying to eat your sword.

taltamir
2010-01-12, 08:27 PM
Plus, you'll have Wannabe Constructs trying to eat your sword.

eh, you are doing the world a favor by killing them AND you get XP and loot from their pathetic loser corpses. Sounds like a win-win-win to me... Having your XP and loot come to you rocks

Mystic Muse
2010-01-12, 08:42 PM
actually it's going to be a lance.

deuxhero
2010-01-12, 08:51 PM
See if you can get a holy advenger, sub it into the form of a lance and make 4 of the +5 useful abilities.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-12, 08:56 PM
That's going to be pretty dang hard at level 7

deuxhero
2010-01-12, 08:59 PM
Hmm, got a feat to spare? I think the CW Kensai's weapon class ability (sacrifice loot to add it's full value, not sell value, to your chosen weapon) could be gotten for a feat and see if the DM will let you work up to Holy Avenger.

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-12, 09:02 PM
Item Familiar or Ancestral Relic will allow you to customize an item as you gain levels. (suck it Kensai!)

Thajocoth
2010-01-12, 09:05 PM
It's a key component in the Green Star Adept prestige class. The only difference between Rich's starmetal and Wizards' starmetal is that Rich's deals extra damage to undead, whereas Wizards' deals extra damage to all outsiders.

It dealt extra damage to Sabine and I don't think succubi are undead...

Mystic Muse
2010-01-12, 09:11 PM
no but the extra 1d6 against outsiders isn't unreasonable.

it's probably a custom ability of some sort anyway.

EDIT: no I don't really have a feat to spare since I only have 4 and am currently using all 4 for a charging build. I had to use a flaw just to get the 4th feat and I'm only allowed one.

deuxhero
2010-01-12, 09:18 PM
Take the one that hurts your ranged attacks. When is the last time you made a ranged attack?

Mystic Muse
2010-01-12, 09:23 PM
that's what I was going to do.

Do I have to take a feat in order to use a Platinum weapon? I think you have to take a feat in order to get proficiency with a gold weapon.

deuxhero
2010-01-12, 09:31 PM
You are a charger, don't you rely on multipliers instead of just damage? If you want the extra... 2? points of damage on average, give your weapon a dragonbone hilt (DM, can stack with other materials thanks to the words "incorporating" not "made of") for 1 yummy "just about nothing resists" sonic damage (it's not a die, so it gets multiplyed). Gold (it's something like 1000 or 2000) is cheaper than feats, and you are going to get a feat that gives you a huge WBL level boost (best part of that though is that it removes the need for a magic mart)

Mystic Muse
2010-01-12, 09:35 PM
Yeah, I got suggested platinum lance in an earlier thread about my Paladin. They said to get a Valorous platinum lance so I do 8d6+4+4 x4 damage on a mounted charge.

what's this feat you're talking about from?

deuxhero
2010-01-12, 09:41 PM
The aforementioned Ancestral Relic (item familiar is VERY iffy in design) if it works like the kensai ability like I think it does.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-01-12, 09:42 PM
Platinum, Gold, etc. weapons all fall under the category of Heavy Weapons, which require feats.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-12, 09:45 PM
where is Ancestral relic FROM?

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-01-12, 09:46 PM
where is Ancestral relic FROM?BoED. It's one of the more balanced things in the book, IIRC.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-12, 09:56 PM
ancestral relic sounds pretty good. I'll mention it to my DM for my 9th level feat or even ask for another flaw if it comes down to it.

herrhauptmann
2010-01-12, 10:18 PM
Platinum, Gold, etc. weapons all fall under the category of Heavy Weapons, which require feats.

There's also a magic enhancement that can substitute the feat in Magic of Faerun. It's either a +1 or +2 cost, so it's a little pricey for a 7th level character.

If you're pulling from the BoED, there's a pair of 3 level PrC's whose sole purpose is to grant you additional 'exalted' feats. Granted, they won't be available to you until at least level 12 because of the prereqs.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-12, 10:57 PM
Using a Homebrew Paladin. PRCs are kind of useless in this case and I've looked at the exalted feats. not many of them sound appealing. Vow of poverty for my mount but that's just mean.

taltamir
2010-01-12, 11:00 PM
isn't there an enchantment that allows your weapon to be change its composition into pretty much any metal you want?

deuxhero
2010-01-12, 11:15 PM
Metaline, +2 or +1.

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-13, 12:28 AM
Metaline has a set listing of what metals are allowed.

Now I wouldn't be apposed to a greater metaline that turns into any 4 metals of your choice, with some limitations of corse.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-13, 01:39 PM
I'm looking in the Draconomicon and it doesn't look like dragonbone can be used for hilts

deuxhero
2010-01-13, 03:39 PM
Hilt was just a suggestion. The Dragon Bone description uses "incorporating into", it doesn't have to be made out of it, just "incorporated" (like say... a hilt?)

Mystic Muse
2010-01-13, 03:48 PM
okay. Am I just looking in the wrong section? I'm looking at dragoncraft items and it Doesn't say anything about incorporating dragon bone into weapons.:smallconfused:

taltamir
2010-01-13, 08:43 PM
by RAW only the major material matters, if even combinable...
So if you make the sword's hilt out of dragonbone/adamantium/mithril/darkwood/whatever instead of steel, it makes absolutely no different to the sword and it is still just a regular old steel sword. its basically pure fluff...

i really dislike that ruling btw

Mystic Muse
2010-01-13, 08:48 PM
So no Dragonbone hilt Lance then.

well, I don't have enough money left to buy anything worthwhile anyway.

So I have a question. The valorous enchantment supposedly makes it so you deal double damage on a charge. On a mounted charge with the feat spirited charge I deal triple damage. How does the damage multiply exactly? does a doubling and a tripling equate to a quadrupling?

taltamir
2010-01-13, 09:34 PM
So no Dragonbone hilt Lance then.
unless your DM houserules something, I really think he should and most DMs will say yes.

So I have a question. The valorous enchantment supposedly makes it so you deal double damage on a charge. On a mounted charge with the feat spirited charge I deal triple damage. How does the damage multiply exactly? does a doubling and a tripling equate to a quadrupling?

I am not sure if it applies to all multipliers, but I know that for critical hit damage multipliers, a lot of the multipliers don't stack. But those that do stack do so by subtracting 1 from each secondary multiplier and add them up.
That is 2x and 2x = 2 + (2-1) = 3x.
and 4x + 3x + 2x = 4 + (3-1) + (2-1) = 7x.
but as i said, most multipliers don't stack.

If the same method is used on what you described, then indeed a doubling and a tripling would be 3x + 2x = 3 + (2-1) = 4x.
If it stacks in a straightforward manner with crits, then on a critical hit you would do 6x (add 3-1 to your 4x damage).

However, I am really uncertain about whether that is how it really works.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-13, 10:42 PM
okay, does anybody else know how or if those multipliers stack?

I should also ask, what are some good feats for my mount? (Drakkensteed) I'm going to get at least two next level and I might get a third for one of my DM's homebrew rules.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-01-13, 10:44 PM
I have never seen double+triple=sextuple. All examples I can think of would be a quadruple.

sofawall
2010-01-13, 11:02 PM
I have never seen double+triple=sextuple. All examples I can think of would be a quadruple.

Weight, distance, etc. In this case, however, you are correct.

Also, Leap Attack, either for you or your mount, whichever your DM says needs it. Totally worth it.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-14, 12:31 AM
oh, are there any feats to improve the flight speed of my mount? or maneuverability? I know there's one but it requires my mount to have a flight speed of 150

Gadora
2010-01-14, 10:56 AM
oh, are there any feats to improve the flight speed of my mount? or maneuverability? I know there's one but it requires my mount to have a flight speed of 150

Try improved flight in Races of the Wild. It doesn't boost speed, but it increases maneuverability by one category.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-14, 11:37 AM
thanks!:smallsmile:

deuxhero
2010-01-14, 11:43 AM
See if the DM will let it take Pathfinder's Fly (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/fly) skill?

Dimers
2010-01-14, 09:45 PM
by RAW only the major material matters, if even combinable...
So if you make the sword's hilt out of dragonbone/adamantium/mithril/darkwood/whatever instead of steel, it makes absolutely no different to the sword and it is still just a regular old steel sword. its basically pure fluff...

i really dislike that ruling btw

Of course, if that rule's in use, then Kyuubi's lance needs to be made of magical wood, not metaline or starmetal or almost anything else powerful. A metal lance would be reeeeeaaaally heavy. Call it a metal head on a wooden lance, and draw a comparison to metal arrowheads on wood shafts, since there's precedent for those in the SRD under "cold iron".

Mystic Muse
2010-01-14, 09:50 PM
wouldn't a wooden lance, even a magical one, be pretty easy to sunder?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-01-14, 09:51 PM

IIRC that there's a feat in the Planar Handbook (Air Heritage) which gives you a 30 ft bonus to your flight speed and increase maneuverability by one step.

taltamir
2010-01-14, 09:56 PM
Of course, if that rule's in use, then Kyuubi's lance needs to be made of magical wood, not metaline or starmetal or almost anything else powerful. A metal lance would be reeeeeaaaally heavy. Call it a metal head on a wooden lance, and draw a comparison to metal arrowheads on wood shafts, since there's precedent for those in the SRD under "cold iron".

funny you mention it... the RAW explicitly state that a scyth is a metal blade on a wooden handle. Yet it is mostly wood, as such a scyth gains nothing from being made out of exotic metals... only exotic wooden shafts benefit it.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialmaterials.htm

An item made from mithral weighs half as much as the same item made from other metals. In the case of weapons, this lighter weight does not change a weapon’s size category or the ease with which it can be wielded (whether it is light, one-handed, or two-handed). Items not primarily of metal are not meaningfully affected by being partially made of mithral. (A longsword can be a mithral weapon, while a scythe cannot be.)

well, at least as far as mythril... maybe you can make a cold iron scyth.

Dimers
2010-01-14, 10:52 PM
wouldn't a wooden lance, even a magical one, be pretty easy to sunder?

That's one reason that real-life jousts have dozens of spare lances. They break just from being used correctly.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-15, 04:15 PM
okay. leap attack got suggested to me by somebody but I have a slight problem. it requires 8 ranks in jump which isn't a class skill for a Paladin So I'd have to wait until around level 13 before I could get 8 ranks. I could Multiclass to rogue or something that does get jump as a class skill and then go back to Paladin I guess. (dragonborn are allowed to go back to Paladin after multiclassing)

taltamir
2010-01-15, 04:29 PM
okay. leap attack got suggested to me by somebody but I have a slight problem. it requires 8 ranks in jump which isn't a class skill for a Paladin So I'd have to wait until around level 13 before I could get 8 ranks. I could Multiclass to rogue or something that does get jump as a class skill and then go back to Paladin I guess. (dragonborn are allowed to go back to Paladin after multiclassing)

I hate the notion of class skills being determined by your class, it is such a huge and annoying straight-jacket on creativity.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-15, 04:30 PM
I hate the notion of class skills being determined by your class, it is such a huge and annoying straight-jacket on creativity.

yeah, I know. I'm changing that in my own homebrew rules. other than a few skills (like certain ones specific to Rogue or wizard) all skills are treated as class skills.