PDA

View Full Version : Eternal Wands?

Lord Mancow
2010-01-12, 08:21 PM
:smallconfused:

Basically, what are they?

I'm guessing that they're probably a wand with unlimited casting?

Are they twice the price of normal wands because DMG table 7-33 says that a item with 50 charges costs the half as much as an item unlimited item?

What book are they in?

Thanks playground.

Boci
2010-01-12, 08:23 PM
Same price, 2 / day, no charges.

Jazarkrazaj
2010-01-12, 08:24 PM
You'll find them on pages 159/160 of the Magic Item Compendium.

Physics_Rook
2010-01-12, 08:25 PM
IIRC they are wands that store a single spell (usually of a low level ,1 to 3), and are usable up to three times per day.

But don't quote me on this as I'm away from my books at the moment.

Thurbane
2010-01-12, 08:27 PM
The big selling point is that ANY arcane caster can use these wands, no UMD required, even if the spell isn't on their class list.

They hold spells from 0 to 3rd level, usually 2/day. I believe they originally apeared in an Eberron sourcebook, but the most recent printing, as above, is Magic Item Compendium.

Siosilvar
2010-01-12, 08:27 PM
Are they twice the price of normal wands because DMG table 7-33 says that a item with 50 charges costs the half as much as an item unlimited item?

No. In fact, they're priced 96% (math below) as much as a normal wand.

[hr]50-charge trigger = 750 gp * CL * SL

Command Word = 1800 gp * CL * SL
2 uses per day = 2 / 5
= 720 gp * CL * SL

720 / 750 = .96

taltamir
2010-01-12, 08:30 PM
eternal wands sound really really useful in theory.
But when you get right down to it, when you need a spell worth wanding you often need it right now. So being able to go for a week without casting it and then burn 10 charges in a row is very useful and can save your life. Typically, by the time the 50 charges in the first wand you ever purchased run out, you are high enough level that their price becomes insignificant to replace due to WBL.

The Glyphstone
2010-01-12, 08:35 PM
They're useful for stuff that you know you'll only cast a max of once or twice per day, like Rope Trick. Beyond that, not a whole lot of utility.

deuxhero
2010-01-12, 08:36 PM
Invisibility, explosive runes, extended rope trick and extended enlarge person are all things you may cast everyday, but are unlikely to nova.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-01-12, 08:40 PM
So is Prestidigitation, for the UMD user.

taltamir
2010-01-12, 08:45 PM
So is Prestidigitation, for the UMD user.

oh, very true... prestidigation allows you to clean and groom yourself, color your clothes, etc... for up to an hour. It is a wand of "shower"... thats why you always look hot and well taken care of even in the middle of a dungeon crawl :)

Oh, here is another one... create food and water

Thurbane
2010-01-12, 08:45 PM
I'll repeat: any arcane user can wield them without needing UMD. For a non-CHA based character who doesn't have UMD on his class list, this can be very handy.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-01-12, 08:51 PM
Many arcane characters will have cantrip slots free to cast all the Prestidigitation they want. UMDing into Prestidigitation wands is neat for a non-caster (and for arcanists without prestidigitation, yes)

Temotei
2010-01-12, 08:51 PM
I'll repeat: any arcane user can wield them without needing UMD. For a non-CHA based character who doesn't have UMD on his class list, this can be very handy.

This. :smallcool:

awa
2010-01-12, 11:24 PM
an eternal wan of identify is really nice if no one in your party has access to the spell

Shpadoinkle
2010-01-12, 11:53 PM
Eternal wands of Lesser Restoration are really nice as well. Normally anyone who sleeps in heavy armor is fatigued the following morning, but Lesser Restoration removes fatigue.

Draz74
2010-01-12, 11:54 PM
Several of the uses people have mentioned are more practical to get as some other magic item ... why get an Eternal Wand of Create Food and Water when the Everlasting Rations and Replenishing Skin already exist? Why an Eternal Wand of Identify when the Artificer's Monacle already exists?

And what arcane caster wouldn't pick up a custom magic item that does Prestidigitation infinite times/day? (I know, I know, custom items are a can of worms ... but unlike many, this is a use I as a DM would actually allow.)

Eternal Wand of Rope Trick isn't so hot (unless you craft a variant version yourself), as it has Caster Level 3.

If anyone was going to mention Eternal Wand of Knock ... check out the Rod of Escape. Strictly superior.

All that being said, there are a number of spells I can imagine preferring in Eternal Wand form rather than Custom Item or Normal Wand form, especially for UMD-users who can't actually use a low-level spell slot on the spells in question. Silent Image, Scholar's Touch, Benign Transposition, Mending, Ventriloquism, Enlarge Person, Invisibility, Silence, Haste.

My two top picks, though, go to Heroics and Glibness.

Eternal wands of Lesser Restoration are really nice as well. Normally anyone who sleeps in heavy armor is fatigued the following morning, but Lesser Restoration removes fatigue.

Is there an arcane class that gets Lesser Restoration? Even if there is, there are better ways to beat the armor-fatigue issue. (Restful Crystal, in MIC, or the Restful armor enhancement in Dungeonscape; either one is 500 gp.)

deuxhero
2010-01-13, 12:02 AM
Hence the "extended", a minimum of 10 hours.

Draz74
2010-01-13, 12:21 AM
Hence the "unless you craft one yourself," since normally metamagic'd spells aren't considered default options for wands. :smallsmile:

EDIT: Also, someone should mention that Eternal Wands aren't exactly the same cost as normal wands. Low-levels are slightly more expensive, high-levels are slightly cheaper.