PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Craft

Thames
2010-01-12, 10:36 PM
Hey guys, someone on this board told me about a system called Fantasy Craft (surprise surprise) and I was hoping anyone who have tried it could give me their opinions on it? I have gotten my hands on a copy and I like what I see but I'm just debating whether or not I should buy it considering no shops in Brisbane stock it (that I know of).

Harperfan7
2010-01-12, 11:42 PM
The harpers would like to see this thread responded to.

Voldecanter
2010-01-12, 11:46 PM
I have had the book since the summer , it is a fairly interesting system that not only gives options for combat , but also story and plot driven elements as well . the their take on magic is somewhat different from 3.5 , but it is interesting , where wizards only have a select amount of spells that they imeediatly have at the beggining of the game , I am sure they can add some in through research but I don't know . The Game encounters are split up into Scenes , acts ect . so that the players can divide which abilities can be used how often in a given scene or act .

The System is just another fun take on the Role playing game , and it does it quite well .

Thames
2010-01-13, 05:34 AM
Cool

Though I'm going to need a bit more information than that, How do the differences in the spellcasting system affect the game; I've noticed that You only begin with cantrips if you are a mage and its done with a spell-point system. Can you still get that studious and arcane feeling to magic which the Vancian system does so unparalelled (read brilliantly)? I couldn't see any way to get a difference between sorcerers and wizards yet either.

Sir Homeslice
2010-01-13, 07:25 AM
Can you still get that studious and arcane feeling to magic which the Vancian system does so unparalelled (read brilliantly)? I couldn't see any way to get a difference between sorcerers and wizards yet either.

Yes and no. Yes if you mean your wizards can still be bookworms who hold reality by the testicles and squeeze when they want something done right a limited amount of times before they're done and waiting for the magic to come back. No if you want the unparalleled versatility, power, and well, lunacy attributed to 3.5e Wizards.

On the topic of FantasyCraft, I love it so much it's like Christmas came back to me when I was still eight years old and loved Christmas to the point where thoughts of Christmas made me burst with joy. Magic is fairly interesting yet fairly balanced with it being MAD, and Divine spellcasters feel different from Arcane ones.

I like how the classes and feats are done, a lot. Combat seems fun and exciting with the addition of tricks, stances, feats, and class abilities.

I've never been able to find a game though, and all of my attempts at running a game with online friends has pretty much flubbed crazily, so I've been driving myself batty by putting FantasyCraft on a giant golden pedestal.