PDA

View Full Version : all flesh must be eaten

awa
2010-01-12, 11:29 PM
what are peoples thoughts on this rpg?
I already know i want to do a zombie campaign and Ive already got the world thought out so really all im asking about are the mechanics of the system.
Is it a good system?
Are the mechanics unintuitive or well thought out?
Is their a better zombie system?

averagejoe
2010-01-12, 11:33 PM
I've only played the system for a couple of sessions, but we all found it to be fun, easy, and satisfying.

The game Witchcraft (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?cPath=139&products_id=692) uses the same mechanics, and can be downloaded for free (legally!) if you want to take a look through it.

Signmaker
2010-01-12, 11:40 PM
My only issue with the RPG is that it's really, really easy to make your character in to a skill-god. My first character was a mechanic with a fair set of driving skills, took care that rather than tweak the starting numbers to produce better results that I kept my build nice and small.

Two sessions later, I could drive a helicopter, tank, motorcycle, bus, and car. All at near professional training level. I found no need to carry anything but a small gun for emergencies, because my job was to plow the streets.

Other than that, I really did enjoy the game. It's fun, it is. You just might want to curb the exp granted at the end of sessions, because you truly do get a lot of it.

That being said, the rest of my party wanted to turn my schoolbus in to a cowcatcher, despite not having any of the appropriate skills or foreknowledge to do it. I was not having it, seeing as they already had an arsenal of rifles and shotguns. =P

Satyr
2010-01-13, 02:55 AM
The Unisystem rules, which are the foundament of All Flesh Must Be Eaten, the aforementioned Witchcraft and a few others are very good and adaptable games.
AFMBE is not only a zombie game (even though the zombies play a major role) it is a universal system, in the line of Gurps (but a lot less massive, making it both let flexible, but also easier to grasp) or Savage Worlds (only in good). Yes, it is a zombie-flavored universal system, but it is still highly adaptable. There is a campaign setting sourcebook that includes settings which cover undead pilots in WWI, a swashbuckling musketeer zombie setting, and so on.
The system-inherent zombie building tool kit, but that one can be used just as easy for any monsters.

The game is also very simple from the basic structure, which makes it very simple to homebrew stuff for it, or convert settings with good ideas but not nearly as good rules. I wrote a converison for the excellent Midnight (http://www.unifans.org/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=get107) campaign setting by fantasy fligh games, and I am currently working on a conversion of Dark Sun as well, and in both cases the rules are more appropriate for the setting than the original ones, thanks to the ingenious Dungeons and Zombies sourcebook.

Are there other zombie-based RPGs? Yes. But AFMBE is not just a zombie-based game, it is pretty good RPG in itself. It is not just a one gimmick game, but it would work just as well if you completely leave the zombies away (and replace it with a different plot hook).