PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerers and wands/scrolls (DnD 3.5)

Haruspex_Pariah
2010-01-13, 12:33 AM
Can sorcerers use wands/scrolls for spells that are not their spells known but on the Sor/Wiz list? Assuming other prerequisites met, etc.
I always assumed they couldn't, but reading through the SRD it seems that they can use any spell trigger or completion items for spells on the Sor/Wiz spell list. Even if they don't know them.

So which one is right? or is it something else entirely? Applies to bards as well, obviously.

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-13, 12:34 AM
they can.

too short so..... filer words!

Douglas
2010-01-13, 12:36 AM
Can sorcerers use wands/scrolls for spells that are not their spells known but on the Sor/Wiz list? Assuming other prerequisites met, etc.
Yes. There'd be little point to any spontaneous caster ever using them otherwise. The restriction is class list, not spells the character can already cast himself.

Haruspex_Pariah
2010-01-13, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the quick replies. The use of scrolls/wands by spontaneous casters has always bothered me for some reason.

Fiery Diamond
2010-01-13, 12:40 AM
Thanks for the quick replies. The use of scrolls/wands by spontaneous casters has always bothered me for some reason.

Why? Spont casters are already at a disadvantage to prepped casters in versatility.

Haruspex_Pariah
2010-01-13, 12:49 AM
Why? Spont casters are already at a disadvantage to prepped casters in versatility.

I really don't know. It must be an example of sudden logic failure by my brain. I guess I just conflated "spells known" with "class spell list".

Noble Savant
2010-01-13, 08:19 AM
I think it's because you sub-consciously hate sorcerers and don't want them to have nice things.